Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x05 "Light" **SPOILERS**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

hightower1 wrote: »
    the first shuttle has a large section missing and shooter McGavin.... I mean the senator dead in the pilots seat.
    THAT'S who he is/was! :p Knew I recognized him.

Overall I'm really enjoying this series so far. It's not as cartoony as SG1/SGA became yet not as dark as BSG - the writers seem to have the mix just right at the moment.

I agree with the thoughts that Rush is just a socially awkward, slightly obsessed science geek rather than some sort of evil calculating villain! I think the fact that we're learning about the secondary characters as well, as opposed to them being one-dimensional disposable cutouts is another point in the show's favour.

Which brings me neatly to my last point.. good as it is so far, it IS just a TV show. I'm all for discussing the questions thrown up (that's what keeps viewers coming back after all), but there is a danger of over-analysing it and expecting too much - we're only 5 episodes in after all, and as someone else said, a certain suspension of disbelief is a requirement for this sort of show.

Just my 2c though... I'm glad Stargate is back anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

DeVore wrote: »

He also suggested the slingshot and orders the pilot to turn immediately and head to the planet. Mathboy doesnt come into it until they need the course calcs worked out. So Rush definitely saved them.

DeV.

TOM!!!! Hi :D Long time no see.

Tis correct on the mathboy helping out. It was Rush that came up with the idea. Eli, just started doing the math the moment rush suggested turning back to the planet. Working as a team and being on the same wavelength.

Called the Destiny being solar powered the moment they said they where heading to the star. But TBH, it just made a load of sense to have it recharged off the star. Lets face it, no power supply that works in the Ancient catalogue could hold up that long.

What I really want to know now is, are they at full power? How long will the charge last? Can they now get into exposed area's?

Also got to agree with the theory of a lot of damage on the right wing. Look at it on Sky HD today and it really looked like damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I liked this episode. I knew that the Destiny was going to survive but didn't imagine it flying into the sun. I don't think either that Rush had much hope that the ship would survive as shown by his face when they didn't. I also don't think that he wanted to be rid of the people in the shuttle.

I like the way that they are taking the time to develop the characters and the story. Its about as realistic as it can be with a group arriving on a ship and how hard it is to gain control and not be in constant peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The Sling shot. The solution to all of sci-fi's problems. This time it didn't result in time travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

The Sling shot. The solution to all of sci-fi's problems. This time it didn't result in time travel.

Its so goods people even use it in real life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I liked the episode overall, but the science was crap - the slingshot maneuver would not have worked (I spent about two months studying orbital mechanics - call me the armchair expert).

Something something Hollywood physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Fenster wrote: »
    I liked the episode overall, but the science was crap - the slingshot maneuver would not have worked (I spent about two months studying orbital mechanics - call me the armchair expert).

Something something Hollywood physics?

But the worm holes, star gates invented millions of years ago, exploding planets, aliens that appear as whirl winds, ascending to other levels of existence and space ships that recharge inside suns are all ok? You're just having a go at the sling shot.... i gotta lol at that

Well, yeah. :p

When they (the writers) just pull stuff out of their arses and make it up as they go along...well that I can accept. When they instead, as they've shown with SG:U, try to employ real physics and 'real' situations, they could at least have the good grace to try and get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Well, yeah. :p

When they (the writers) just pull stuff out of their arses and make it up as they go along...well that I can accept. When they instead, as they've shown with SG:U, try to employ real physics and 'real' situations, they could at least have the good grace to try and get it right!

Can you explain to me how the slingshot maneuver as depicted in that episode couldn't have worked in your opinion?

The concept is based in fact (Apollo 13 used the moon to slingshot back to Earth I believe?) and since the shuttle has fairly substantial engines from what we have seen, I think it is entirely plausible. (My thinking comes from rudimentary calculations based off the orbit of the ISS by the way)

Edit: Just to say, I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact I'm assuming there is a factor I'm missing here. Possibly you feel the planet wouldn't actually increase the thrust of the shuttle very much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That only happens when it's a sun.

• Advertisement

Understanding orbital mechanics is easier than explaining it, as so much of it is counter-intuitive to what we experience on Earth, but I'll try! :)

I'm working on the assumption that Destiny was performing its own flyby of the rocky planet. Both Destiny and the shuttle were inside the planet's hill sphere. The Hill sphere marks the invisible point in space in which the planet's gravity becomes paramount. Smaller objects within this invisible limit naturally fall into orbit around the bigger object. So, for however brief a time it actually was, they were satellites in orbit of the planet. Their movement was within the planet's frame of reference - that is, during their maneuvers around the planet, they were still moving with the planet on its orbit around its star.

Still with me? Think about the space shuttle - when it flies up to meet the ISS, the shuttle is moving and maneuvering through space, but both the space shuttle and the ISS are still moving with the Earth on its orbit around the sun.

Anyways, both Destiny and the shuttle were in orbit of the planet.

Still with me? :)

A gravitational assist does not work on the principal of picking up velocity by falling toward a planetary body, as the episode implied. As you fall out of the gravity well and away from the planetary body you very neatly lose all of the velocity you picked up in falling towards it. You instead pick up velocity based upon the planet's orbit around the parent star (see here). In the case of the shuttle, its only net change in velocity, relative to the planet and Destiny would have come from the craft firing its thrusters during the course of the maneuver.

And all of that is only the first reason why it would not have worked. The shuttle was already accelerating hard in one direction. Unlike on Earth, there is absolutely nothing to brake against - no air resistance, no friction with the ground. The shuttle would have had to turn around and spend a significant amount of time just slowing down so it could reverse course.

At best, you're talking real hours or even days just to slow down enough and turn around and then complete a slingshot around the planet, by which time Destiny would have been long gone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Understanding orbital mechanics is easier than explaining it, as so much of it is counter-intuitive to what we experience on Earth, but I'll try! :)

I'm working on the assumption that Destiny was performing its own flyby of the rocky planet. Both Destiny and the shuttle were inside the planet's hill sphere. The Hill sphere marks the invisible point in space in which the planet's gravity becomes paramount. Smaller objects within this invisible limit naturally fall into orbit around the bigger object. So, for however brief a time it actually was, they were satellites in orbit of the planet. Their movement was within the planet's frame of reference - that is, during their maneuvers around the planet, they were still moving with the planet on its orbit around its star.

Still with me? Think about the space shuttle - when it flies up to meet the ISS, the shuttle is moving and maneuvering through space, but both the space shuttle and the ISS are still moving with the Earth on its orbit around the sun.

Anyways, both Destiny and the shuttle were in orbit of the planet.

Still with me? :)

A gravitational assist does not work on the principal of picking up velocity by falling toward a planetary body, as the episode implied. As you fall out of the gravity well and away from the planetary body you very neatly lose all of the velocity you picked up in falling towards it. You instead pick up velocity based upon the planet's orbit around the parent star (see here). In the case of the shuttle, its only net change in velocity, relative to the planet and Destiny would have come from the craft firing its thrusters during the course of the maneuver.

And all of that is only the first reason why it would not have worked. The shuttle was already accelerating hard in one direction. Unlike on Earth, there is absolutely nothing to brake against - no air resistance, no friction with the ground. The shuttle would have had to turn around and spend a significant amount of time just slowing down so it could reverse course.

At best, you're talking real hours or even days just to slow down enough and turn around and then complete a slingshot around the planet, by which time Destiny would have been long gone.
    Given destiny was after flying through the sun and the planet was far enough away to be habitable for humans I doubt destiny was in it's orbit.

Given destiny was after flying through the sun and the planet was far enough away to be habitable for humans I doubt destiny was in it's orbit.

Yes, it would have. Distance from the sun is moot.

Actually...considering how quickly it crossed the planetary system (hours?), Destiny would have to be travelling at a measurable percentage of the speed of light (0.5-1% (15,000-30,000km/s)). Destiny would have skipped away and gone on its merry way. Velocity affects gravitation. A big, heavy spaceship flying by the planet at the speed of light would have a measurable effect on the planet's orbit, but that is a discussion for another day. :D

Alright, Destiny might not have been in orbit of the body - consider it skipping by. The shuttle itself was in orbit of the planet. The slingshot would not have done a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

somethingsomethingsomethingsomething.

Someone has managed to fry me brain. Im sure at the next convention the lads will helpfully explain the physics involved.

Or not, like.
    Atlantis
    McKAY (over comms from the Control Room): Sam. Believe it or not, I found it. It was in the sensor log. It's a solar flare capable of interfering with the wormhole from M4S-587 at exactly the moment that Lorne says he dialled.

CARTER: Well, why didn't the Gate's failsafe prevent the wormhole from locking?

(Rodney looks uncomfortable.)

McKAY: Umm, well, we've had a number of glitches since we, uh, last updated the operating system...mumble.
    SHEPPARD: Oh, that's what you call a "glitch," huh?!

McKAY: Yes, well, you should know that, uh, I'll be giving Zelenka a stern talking to.

I think theyve acknowledged time and again they like to make it believable but make no promises about accuracy. Usually to the point of making jokes at themselves [the producers]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have to laugh at some of these things. Not in a bad way. Just in a funny way. :D

Some people actually criticised the episode for the fact that at no point did they think the ship would be destroyed! :eek: I should probably put this in a spoiler tag for you guys but here goes............. If the ship is destroyed then the show is over. And thats not gonna happen in the 5th episode. Agree?

There's also a few people wanting Weapons and Aliens and Stargate travel and Ancient technology to be found. SLOW DOWN. There's plenty of time. We've had enough of that in Atlantis surely. I could go a whole season without seeing an alien. Infact I'd love it.

Debating the authenticity of a sling shot maneouver in a sci-fi series involving two imaginary space ships is mental. I like the debate on whether or not its possible with a NASA shuttle but discussing whether or not Destiny's shuttle could do it is like saying "Which weapon could cut through human flesh faster.... A samuri sword or a light-saber!" It doesn't matter cause the light-saber isn't real. :)

I'm not having a go at anyone, it just makes me smile reading that stuff cause I know I do the same thing sometimes. I've had hours of conversations about Marty McFly's time travelling in BACK TO THE FUTURE.

I'm really enjoying SGU. Takes my mind off real life. Loving the soundtrack too but not a patch on BSG's.

Thank you! Someone worthy of this:

you-won-free-internet.jpg

What's the point in watching a show if you cannot conclusively prove that They Got It Wrong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly didnt think it was a good episode at all, it felt very.. you know they are all going to survive.. some good shots of the Destiny though.

Man the medic is so hot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

all that stuff

Aw, thanks for ruining it for me :p

They could see Destiny from the shuttle, so it was fairly close.
    Actually...considering how quickly it crossed the planetary system (hours?), Destiny would have to be travelling at a measurable percentage of the speed of light (0.5-1% (15,000-30,000km/s)).

That's something that most Sci-fi shows skip over, the fact that at sub-light speeds you'd get pretty much nowhere, slowly. BSG and Firefly both payed heed to it, everything else just seems to assume you can get from Saturn to Earth in a few minutes.

You really do have to suspend all disbelief when watching a show about traveling to other planets, especially when the natives all speak modern English.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I absolutely love how Sci Fi shows are always accused of not being realistic.
    NEWSFLASH folks : No movie or tv show of any genre has ever been close to realism!
    Suspend belief,enjoy and admire the things the show gets right.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, I love picking it apart, dissecting it. But I definitely draw a line. Its like picking at a loose thread out of boredom and having the common sense to stop yourself before you ruin your favorite shirt.

Im loving the show so far and frankly its not science-proofed but it definitely has at least a few layers of cushion to it.

Thats the spirit. More of this positivity is needed. YAY. :D

Just a quick question...... Does anyone have a theory on why Blonde doctor wanted to quit her job? Does she have feelings for Colonel Young? I got that impression.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Thats the spirit. More of this positivity is needed. YAY. :D

Just a quick question...... Does anyone have a theory on why Blonde doctor wanted to quit her job? Does she have feelings for Colonel Young? I got that impression.

It does seem that way although the cynic inside me says it was with someone from the
    Lucian Alliance and she like knew the attack was going to like happen and wanted off the base and now shes like mega pissed that shes like stuck on a ship on the like far side of the universe when she was like supposed to have like received a huge bounty for outing the like secret location of the Icarus base but then again I really should have like punctuated and thought about this like spoiler alot more clearly than it is currently written eitherway you get the point, like
    the optimistic me has me hoping that it's
    Lt Boobs
    :o

Malty_T wrote: »
    It does seem that way although the cynic inside me says it was with someone from the
    Lucian Alliance and she like knew the attack was going to like happen and wanted off the base and now shes like mega pissed that shes like stuck on a ship on the like far side of the universe when she was like supposed to have like received a huge bounty for outing the like secret location of the Icarus base but then again I really should have like punctuated and thought about this like spoiler alot more clearly than it is currently written eitherway you get the point, like
    the optimistic me has me hoping that it's
    Lt Boobs
    :o
    Early on there had been some leaked rumours about a lesbian kiss, a few months ago. You may be right. LtB does seem a bit ballsy. If ya get me. But LTB wasnt she riding yer limeboy in the first ep? Bisexuals!!!

As for the former no I doubt anybody knew about an attack on Icarus. It caught everyone unawares. We arent even 100% on whether it was the LA or not. Could have been a splinter Jaffa element or a leftover minor gou'ald for all we ****ing know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Not too much to add to the thread but have to say i'm really enjoying the show more as the ep's go on.
    It was easy to know the ship wouldn't be destroyed, but for a couple of minutes i did think the people on the shuttle might be lost, most of the main characters weren't on it, and they could probably show up at a later stage. But the show has the edgy feel, a main character could be killed off just to keep that feel.
    9/10

OH and i seen this on another forum, worth posting again:D;
    Julia-Anderson_stargate-boobs_FQM013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Overheal wrote: »
    Early on there had been some leaked rumours about a lesbian kiss, a few months ago. You may be right. LtB does seem a bit ballsy. If ya get me. But LTB wasnt she riding yer limeboy in the first ep? Bisexuals!!!
    I think the lesbian kiss will be with Camille Wray - she has a girlfriend called Sharon on Earth (see kino recordings in Light) and she'll use the stones some time soon. There might be more kisses though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Eli....twat, in what universe does he think he could get a hottie like that?, he's a fat b*stbard that needs fired out the airlock. it has been rather slow the previous 3 weeks, and i wasn't sure about the show....but that was great!

Eli, Ok, not the best in the looks department, but Fat bstrd! no.
    At present you'll notice that all the lead members like telford refer to Eli as "just a 17 yr old kid" yet it was eli who has saved their asses a few times now and he has come up with some cool stuff like the video ball, the shower.
    also you'll notice that when the other's wanted to know what was going on, they went to Eli.

I think he's a dark horse, Eli will come into his own soon enough.
    rush needs to give Eli some respect and get him more involved or does ruch feel treatened by Eli??

anyway, Remember Daniel Jackson took a little while to come into his own in SG1.

Of all of them, I like Eli, then Young and that sexy doctor chick.

How cool would it be if Lieutenant Boobs got promoted to Major. ;)

I love not knowing their names. Lt. Boobs, Blonde doctor, Fat Math boy. Much better than whatever names those silly writers gave them.

How cool would it be if Lieutenant Boobs got promoted to Major. ;)

I love not knowing their names. Lt. Boobs, Blonde doctor, Fat Math boy. Much better than whatever names those silly writers gave them.
    knifewrench.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Answers here : Louis accidently let it slip and supposedly it should have cut out of the interview:D (Doubt that's true though)
    Guess the obvious thing was the right thing
    :)

Advertisement