Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x05 "Light" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 24-10-2009 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,846 ✭✭✭✭

Poor Eli :(

But Fair Play to yer man. God what a hottie.

How do you rate "Light" 72 votes

Gatetasmic
    0% 0 votes
    McKay
    45% 33 votes
    Indeed?
    34% 25 votes
    N'O'Niell
    13% 10 votes
    Crash and Burn
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,846 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I honestly did not see that coming. And I totally shat a brick. That was amazingly cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

How do you get it so quickly?
    Poor eli indeed, I did not expect that. Classic ladder theory.

But why could Rush not just accept the thanks and be in a good mood.
    If Young was correct, and Rush did know the ship would make it, then Rush's reason for staying quiet was to get rid of 15 ppl. Why then save them when he didnt need to, nobody could blame him if he couldnt think of a solution.

Anyway, another good ep, the recharge thing was very predicable, but nice twist with Chloe and good development of Greer.

- Actually there is a plausable logic behing Rush knowing. He wanted Young to pick Greer, perhaps *if* he did know the ship would save itself he was hoping to get rid of Greer, and maybe other people in his way. Though if they wanted us to think that there should have been more scenes of him suggesting who should be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well there are only really two explanations.

He didn't know the ship would survive. He assumed they would all die. And he would rather let everyone else think he knew all along....as opposed to not being able to figure it out. Because he's like that. Rather be thought of as a cold hearted bastard than stupid or powerless :p There is evidence in his character so far to support this.

Theory number two, Rush did know that the ship would survive....he hadn't quite figured out how yet but he knew. He let the shuttle leave knowing that it would get rid of 15 people. Or perhaps he fixed the list himself, as he alluded to with his talk with Young.

There are two problems with this theory though. Firstly, he hates Greer and he wasn't chosen. Would be a great time to get rid of him. Secondly, why rescure the shuttle? "Sorry Captain, but the pozitronic communications array will not align due to our close proximity to the sun!" :D Something along those lines is all he would have to say and then the shuttle would be left standed. But he helped rescure them. So I'm not sure I believe this theory.

Overall, best episode yet to be honest. I've been a little underwhelmed so far with the show, but this episode really tickled me. Was great stuff.

I also really like the music. Its very Blade Runner meets Mass Effect. I hope they stick with this style for the duration of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think the need for spoiler tags is muted by the thread description.

Awesome episode. Ya kinda knew Eli, Rush and them would make it. There was little doubt. 7/10, points deducted for it being a little slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Another great episode. They've really nailed down the style & mood of the show already. If they can stay true to that it'll be brilliant. The effects once again are top notch and flying through the sun was super cool. We got to find out why Greer was locked up. Decking Telford. :D

I think the answer to when Rush knew is a mix of the two theories above. He seems to realise something when he sees the Destiny from the kino as the shuttle is leaving. Even if he didn't know he is the type of person to pretend he knew anyway.

Now i'm ready for some aliens, hopefully next week.
    How do you get it so quickly?
    Black magic. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sherifu wrote: »
    Another great episode. They've really nailed down the style & mood of the show already. If they can stay true to that it'll be brilliant. The effects once again are top notch and flying through the sun was super cool. We got to find out why Greer was locked up. Decking Telford. :D

yeh im glad they made a 2 parter, this allowed to get to know the characters better, i also like how secondary characters get more of an airtime

anyone else notice that Destinie's:
    starboard wing is all damaged? there were bulkheads sticking out along the front edge of the wing

Now i'm ready for some aliens, hopefully next week.
    please no Goauld or Ori

or some other ridiculously retarded alien species

that are just not evil enough :D

actually id be happy if they explore the ship more and explore the characters

Once again Rush did a great job at casting, actually they all did

loving this so far :)

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    starboard wing is all damaged? there were bulkheads sticking out along the front edge of the wing
    She has taken a beating alright. Very rough looking in places.
    please no Goauld or Ori

or some other ridiculously retarded alien species

that are just not evil enough :D
    I often found the aliens we only saw once or rarely in SG1 to be the most interesting. The Reetou, The Gamekeeper, The Virus Orb & The Nox to name a few.
    actually id be happy if they explore the ship more and explore the characters

Once again Rush did a great job at casting, actually they all did

loving this so far :)
    Finding some ancient tech on the ship would satisfy me too. Just don't want too many slow eps in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I dont think thats damage, if you watch the access all areas special there is a short snip of an upcoming episode where they access the weapons systems...their cannons. The bristle from both port and starboard "wings" along the curvature of them. Also in last weeks episode there is an exterior fly by shot where you see the rows of cannons, they dont look all neatly arranged so it does look a bit like damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Best episode yet!....love the mood, pacing and character development. It's different to other Stargate...which i like. Cinematography reminds me alot of BSG. I like they are in trouble and have to figure how to survive. The ship recharging was ace, but we kinda figured that out last week.

Lt. Boobs....not much footage this week :-(
    Eli....twat, in what universe does he think he could get a hottie like that?, he's a fat b*stbard that needs fired out the airlock. it has been rather slow the previous 3 weeks, and i wasn't sure about the show....but that was great!

I want this quality ep. to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Great ep over all. I liked getting to know more about Greer. Such as his Kino bit. Its a good plot device. I also liked that they only got to see the Destiny from the out-side now...

Have to agree on the thoughts about Rush. That he didn't know, but rather people think he did and think of him as the bad guy rather than someone out of the loop.

Cant wait to see next weeks ep and watch this one on HD on Tuesday.

I also like that the shuttles are slow moving and seem quite basic. Always hated that the puddle jumpers where so advanced.

I was happy I was right about the Destiny being solar powered. Makes a lot of sense it being a ultra deep space explorer. Now I got to wonder, is the ship at full power? Will this open up new things? Like the shelds running at full power and allowing people into area's they couldn't enter before... like the second shuttle or the large dome area.

I'm thinking it wont be at full power, as then they might be able to dial earth. Which would end the series pretty quickly :)

• Advertisement

sutty wrote: »
    Now I got to wonder, is the ship at full power? Will this open up new things? Like the shelds running at full power and allowing people into area's they couldn't enter before... like the second shuttle or the large dome area.

We saw in ep01 when they opened the door Eli was reluctant to as they explored the large domed area has a huge hole in it? The sheilds are holding but maybe with more power they could access that, Could be any number of reasons for it, at first i thought it looked like some kind of meeting hall... would be interesting to see.

The second shuttle is the one they used in this ep, the first shuttle has a large section missing and shooter McGavin.... I mean the senator dead in the pilots seat.

hightower1 wrote: »
    I dont think thats damage, if you watch the access all areas special there is a short snip of an upcoming episode where they access the weapons systems...their cannons. The bristle from both port and starboard "wings" along the curvature of them. Also in last weeks episode there is an exterior fly by shot where you see the rows of cannons, they dont look all neatly arranged so it does look a bit like damage.

hmm good explanation

looked like damage to me but the shot is rather orangy and blurred

He didnt know. He maybe thought there was a 0.0001% chance that it would happen. But he didnt know. He's far too excited and relieved when it does happen. And he does go on to explain Destiny as his Life's work. He wasnt honestly in a hurry to save his own skin or live out on some rock. He took his chance at dying with the ship without any real hope that Destiny would charge itself. You can go ahead and look at the scene again.

As for the mess hall I'd say he was more annoyed by the fact that Young was giving away rations they didnt have to spare at his whim. And the fact that Young still didnt trust him (he asked him to when he needed to get the communications back). And Im sure his initial grumpiness was him busy, needing to grab chow and run off to do sciency stuff again before the next big total disaster.

I see no reason why he would let the shuttle fly off with 15 randomly chosen people, an assload of essential supplies plus one of Destiny's only Pilots and her only Medic. To spite Greer? Come off it. He didnt know Greer was going to be on the shuttle. And you saw the raffle. It was shuffled. I also dont think he would have left a shuttle docking to that much chance.

No, Young just doesnt trust Rush and Rush is getting a little grump about being portrayed as a villain when really he is the one working the hardest to save everyone's asses.

And I get it first because Im cool like that.

The Domed area I would have thought was for Hydroponics.

hmm good explanation

looked like damage to me but the shot is rather orangy and blurred

Very disorganised cannons if that's what they are. Ancients must have been drunk when they were designing her in autocad.

And if you're trying to get away with stuff, you're usually much rosier than Rush:
    normal_sg1_712_406.JPG

Guide: Go on. Save your friends. I will be fine here. Go.

normal_sg1_712_408.JPG
    normal_sg1_712_412.JPG

O'Neill:......
    Burke:......

normal_sg1_712_411.JPG

Guide: ...They owe me lots of money.

O'Neill and Burke: Ahhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Great Ep good development raelly loving this show.

But the soundtrack up there with BSG IMHO stunning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Loved this episode, another 5/5 from me.

Not really much to add that hasnt been said, pretty much knew thats how Destiny was gonna refuel my only suprise was it actually entered the sun.

Cant wait for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

A very short lifes work:confused:

somuj wrote: »
    A very short lifes work:confused:
    more on that mid season.

Very disorganised cannons if that's what they are. Ancients must have been drunk when they were designing her in autocad.

lol defo but the whole design of the ship is a bit haphazard what with the whole exterior with a scrapheap style design, no clean starfleet style lines or designs there! I am really looking forward to the ep where they use them, you should def track down the access all areas special. If you pay attention there was a LOT of give aways in it.
    Quick shots of the cannons in use, mention that here are no aliens in "as we know them" in season one apparently they are all green screen types, shots of the ancient spacesuits that look very very similar to the ones the supposed rouge asgard used in atlantis to kidnap McKay and Jackson. On gateworld they even site that they look very similar and that there is a reason behind it that we find out later on... dam teases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Best episode so far definitely...so good I'm watching it twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

every epesode so far is doom in gloom..

i do like it but..... i guess there taking time to show the people in it i dunno.

but its getting there..

i do like it but..... i guess there taking time to show the people in it i dunno.

but its getting there..

I suppose a lot of that though is they want to outline how hard it is just to survive here. I mean a victory near the end of sg1 was to get a spankin' new space ship in sgu it seems a victory was just to get the life support working to breathe! I'd imagine as the seasons go on they will get out of the struggle but I cant see that happening anytime before season 2 or 3.

If you look at what people didnt like about the last few seasons of sg1 was it became over loaded with sci - fi elements. For me the main draw f sg1 was it was very grounded, it felt like a military operation visiting sci elements, as the seasons went on the military real world element got less pronounced and the sci fi more so. With Atlantis it took it to new levels and really had lost the military theme for the most part. I dunno what it is but the writers, set designers or concept artists on the team just dont seem to do large swaths of sci fi that well? When they keep it real with authentic military style themes it works great though.

Trying to keep sgu grounded was a nice way to go and I think we wont ever see it get to the stage where sg1 got to with those levels of sci fi. I think they will always keep it grounded in one level or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Overheal wrote: »
    I see no reason why he would let the shuttle fly off with 15 randomly chosen people, an assload of essential supplies plus one of Destiny's only Pilots and her only Medic.

I was actually wondering about this. Wouldn't it make sense to give the shuttle ALL their supplies and weapons (apart from some minimal amount to last them for the remaining day)? What's the point in letting them burn with the ship, if they all prepare to die?

its the recession :D

lol defo but the whole design of the ship is a bit haphazard what with the whole exterior with a scrapheap style design, no clean starfleet style lines or designs there! I am really looking forward to the ep where they use them, you should def track down the access all areas special. If you pay attention there was a LOT of give aways in it.
    Quick shots of the cannons in use, mention that here are no aliens in "as we know them" in season one apparently they are all green screen types, shots of the ancient spacesuits that look very very similar to the ones the supposed rouge asgard used in atlantis to kidnap McKay and Jackson. On gateworld they even site that they look very similar and that there is a reason behind it that we find out later on... dam teases.
    Expect suits in the next episode, which deals with an ice planet, which totally fits with the existing clip of the Asgard suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

I suppose a lot of that though is they want to outline how hard it is just to survive here. I mean a victory near the end of sg1 was to get a spankin' new space ship in sgu it seems a victory was just to get the life support working to breathe! I'd imagine as the seasons go on they will get out of the struggle but I cant see that happening anytime before season 2 or 3.

If you look at what people didnt like about the last few seasons of sg1 was it became over loaded with sci - fi elements. For me the main draw f sg1 was it was very grounded, it felt like a military operation visiting sci elements, as the seasons went on the military real world element got less pronounced and the sci fi more so. With Atlantis it took it to new levels and really had lost the military theme for the most part. I dunno what it is but the writers, set designers or concept artists on the team just dont seem to do large swaths of sci fi that well? When they keep it real with authentic military style themes it works great though.

Trying to keep sgu grounded was a nice way to go and I think we wont ever see it get to the stage where sg1 got to with those levels of sci fi. I think they will always keep it grounded in one level or another.

I agree totally, but i think they've just gone to far with that ethos. I'm enjoying this show, but I'm finding it hard to like the show. Its stargate but they've taken out all the fun and action. I enjoyed it while watching it, but thinking back, again,you could sum up everything that happened in about two sentences.

Too much character and drama, not enough fun and action. Still finding it hard to say its a bad show, but unless the pace pics up, I cant see myself sticking with it for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

On gateworld they even site that they look very similar and that there is a reason behind it that we find out later on... dam teases.
    Destiny looks like Thor's hammer when seen from above. It at least has the same shape so I'll go with the Asgard had a hand in building the ship with the Ancients or even the other way around.

Too much character and drama, not enough fun and action. Still finding it hard to say its a bad show, but unless the pace pics up, I cant see myself sticking with it for the rest of the season.
    If you want you can look at the episode listing on wikipedia and keep up with gateworld. From what I've gathered,
    Theres a big 2 parter finale entitled "Incursion" which you can predict a ton of action for. Which is written by Brad Wright, who also writes a mid season ep entitled something something. So by mid season (at the latest) we should hear something about the Hitchhikers and we should see an all out conflict at some point as well.

Just give it a chance to build up. Id rather it not do what Galactica did which felt like premature ejaculation as far as Action went: Seasons 4 and 5 felt like dried dramatic piss compared to Seasons 1 (Hand of God! Come on!) and 2, and a fair portion of 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Would have given this Ep full marks bar all the bloody moaning to that Kino - it completely detracts from the main story and seems like filler rubbish IMO. One of the snippets lasted 2.5 minutes and probably will have no relevance on the future or current story lines.

I know some people like the insights, but never really needed it in SG1 or SGA,so I think its better to leave these things unravel in the story line, rather than the side road.

Advertisement