Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargaining in Westwood

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm currently an off-peak member in Westwood and pay 55 Euro a month which seems steep given the times. Has anyone tried to bargain them down on the monthly fee (e.g. by offering a lump sum payment in advance)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've done it in Image. These days, you probably could. If you offer to pay cash, then they won't have to pay the credit card charge, so they could reduce the amount they charge you. Worth mentioning as way to get them to lower the price.

I was up in Westwood (Leapardstown) with a mate last week and they don't bargain, either that or they hated me and just didn't want to bargain with me. Think it was a bit of both. But the membership team up there leave a lot to be desired when it comes to manners.

And I didn't have any intention of joining either, I just wanted to see what the story is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

there is no bargaining at westwood, set prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ihatewestwood

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR AND GO CHECK OUT BEN DUNNES GYMS. I JUST LEFT WEST WOOD CLONTARF COS THERE MONEY HUNGRY. 900 EURO PER YEAR. THERE IS A RECESSION ON. ITS IN NEED OF A GOOD CLEAN. HAVE A LOOK AT THE GYM EQUIPMENT, ITS FILTHY. THERE ARE PAY SCALES IN THE LOCKER ROOMS, AND ITS 900 PER YEAR.

BEN DUNNES GYM IN NORTHWOOD, 10 MIN DRIVE FROM CLONTARF AND ITS 300 EURO PER YEAR. THATS A 1200 EURO SAVING FOR ME AND GIRLFRIEND. THATS A HOLIDAY.

NORTHWOOD IS CLEANER FRIENDLIER CHEAPER

WESTWOOD NEED TO WAKE UP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR AND GO CHECK OUT BEN DUNNES GYMS. I JUST LEFT WEST WOOD CLONTARF COS THERE MONEY HUNGRY. 900 EURO PER YEAR. THERE IS A RECESSION ON. ITS IN NEED OF A GOOD CLEAN. HAVE A LOOK AT THE GYM EQUIPMENT, ITS FILTHY. THERE ARE PAY SCALES IN THE LOCKER ROOMS, AND ITS 900 PER YEAR.

BEN DUNNES GYM IN NORTHWOOD, 10 MIN DRIVE FROM CLONTARF AND ITS 300 EURO PER YEAR. THATS A 1200 EURO SAVING FOR ME AND GIRLFRIEND. THATS A HOLIDAY.

WESTWOOD NEED TO WAKE UP

Hi

I am a member of Westwood Clontarf and I would have to say that I disagree with most/all of what is quoted above.

I am starting into my second year now. I would use mostly the free weights and do Spin classes, but I also use the rowers and cross trainers from time to time.

I have never found machines dirty, and if they were dirty, well that's down to what ever muppet used the machines previously. Members should leave a machine as they would expect to find it and treat the place with a bit of respect.

I also find the shower and changing area is always pretty clean and it seems to get cleaned a number of times each day. As for the "Pay Scales", This is a machine that will also give you your BMI/BF%/BP (I think) etc. Now I don't trust a machine to measure my BF% and BMI is rubbish. If you just want to check your weight, then there is a non paying scales just inside the entrance to the main gym.

As for price. Well €900 does sound a lot. However the €900 breaks down into €75 per month or €17.30 per week. I go to the gym 6 times a week and from the time I walk in to the time I leave (incl shower) is at least 2.5 hours, even longer on weekends. €17.30 divided by 6 comes to €2.88 per day. Name me any pay as you go gym which only costs €2.88. It's almost €6 for 45 minutes at a local swimming pool.

I have always found the staff/trainers to be friendly and pleasant to deal with.

Ben Dunne's gyms may well be cheaper. However Cheaper means more members, means gym is busier at peak times, so standing around waiting for equipment. And if you search through the threads on this forum you will find numerous threads where this very fact is quoted.

4 out of 6 of my days in the gym is between 18:00 and 20:30 (Peak Time) and I very rarely if ever have to wait for anything.

So you don't like Westwood Clontarf and you feel it is too expensive. Fair enough. But if you are going to give your opinion on the place, at least give an honest and balanced opinion. It's really easy to just pick out what you think are negatives and slate the place.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

westwood is lots of things buts its not dirty. like builder says there always seems to be someone cleaning the place. expensive, hell yes and they could do with updating some of the equipment or getting some new plates instead of flat screen tvs and a new reception desk :rolleyes:.

northwood, well its cheap and thats about the only positive. you get what you pay for. i probably wont be rejoining westwood next year, i cant justify that kind of money when i dont really use anything but the gym, but i wont be going back to northwood. ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

WESTWOOD NEED TO WAKE UP

Considering Northwood were offering annual membership for €550 for 3 people, I'd say you got ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

WESTWOOD NEED TO WAKE UP

Anyone else think Ben Dunne has just signed up for Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

d'Oracle wrote: »

If Dunne can do it, it can be Dunne!

d'Oracle wrote: »

No.

Ben Dunne may be a fat man who likes to fool around with prostitutes, but he knows the prices of his gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Its not all about price - go to the gym that is most convenient to you that you can afford.

The amount of people who go off and join Ben Dunnes clubs cos they are saving 150 euro a year and then sit in traffic for 30 minutes each way from their homes. They get sick of the drive, drop out and at the end of the day have got crap value for their 'cheap membership'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm a member of WW in Leopardstown and from dealing with them myself, I'm pretty sure there's no chance of them negotiating the fee. Sure I was replying to another thread on here about WW and one of the guys on the thread was also a member and they didn't even tell him they had an off peak plan!

I really hate the way gyms charge a joining fee. I think it's the most unreasonable charge I've ever heard of in my life. I could maybe understand if it was some sort of a security deposit that you got back. But it's just paying a huge chunk of money so they allow you to join and pay more money per month. It should be one or the other, not both.

But I digress. I know I often get text messages and stuff from Westwood saying their joining fee is 499 eur but if I get someone to join its only 50 or 100 or whatever, but they always throw in "by 9pm tonight". I've even heard them say that to other people when I've been in, only a day or two after they tell me the same thing.

The only thing I'd say you could negotiate is the joining fee, that's it. The monthly fees are set and I doubt they'd flinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

ah here - westwood clontarf has gone a bit down hill over the years, in fairness to them they have recently given it a lick of paint but the carpets are showing the age of the place(11 years is it?) and the toilets are rank,themens piss pots are always on the blink,smelly and the showers are not much better,now i am comparing these to the way they were a few years ago, for 900 quid it should be better, a lot of the free weights need replacing too - and not with rubber crap!! i called it a day just last week and am currently considering a few places, however it certainly wont be Northwood as i here its like a sardine can at night time!

lads have a close look at the equipment, its caked in dust. but what ever. you get what you pay for and 900 isnt value. i have been in northwood a few times and didnt find the wait times unreasonable. i was in westpoint in blanch for 3 years til 2008 and its superior. wait times reasonable and only at peak times

what really got my goat up about westwood was that when you leave you have to give a months notice. so that means as i did, i wanted to leave in mid september and they cay that you have to pay til the end of october, thats cos they bill at the end of each month ,now thats a bit much. you can imagine what i said to them. but they were insistent. so thanks to the miracle of the internet i simply moved my money from the account.

they are money hungry

lads have a close look at the equipment, its caked in dust. but what ever. you get what you pay for and 900 isnt value. i have been in northwood a few times and didnt find the wait times unreasonable. i was in westpoint in blanch for 3 years til 2008 and its superior. wait times reasonable and only at peak times

what really got my goat up about westwood was that when you leave you have to give a months notice. so that means as i did, i wanted to leave in mid september and they cay that you have to pay til the end of october, thats cos they bill at the end of each month ,now thats a bit much. you can imagine what i said to them. but they were insistent. so thanks to the miracle of the internet i simply moved my money from the account.

they are money hungry

all you do is cancel the direct debit mate - they cant charge you then as the bank will refuse it! what you have done, still lets them charge you but the bank will reject it and incur about a 12 euro fee on your account because of insufficient funds - just cancel the dd instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Convenience is king. I paid £450 for Total Fitness and only use it once or twice a week but since it is on my way to work and its facilities are good I think I have got good value for money. No offence B-builder but you are a exception to the rule. Most people use the gym/swimming pool maybe 3 times a week at most. Westpoint seems bad value for money and the joining fee is a joke. As for Northwood I would be prepared to spend twice as much going to a decent gym then join any of Ben Dunnes "sardine clubs"

janullrich wrote: »
    Convenience is king. I paid £450 for Total Fitness and only use it once or twice a week but since it is on my way to work and its facilities are good I think I have got good value for money. No offence B-builder but you are a exception to the rule. Most people use the gym/swimming pool maybe 3 times a week at most. Westpoint seems bad value for money and the joining fee is a joke. As for Northwood I would be prepared to spend twice as much going to a decent gym then join any of Ben Dunnes "sardine clubs"

Hi Jan

Totally agree with the convenience statement. This is what decided me on Westwood mostly. It's on my way home from work. So I get off the bus in fairview and go to the gym. If I went home first and then had to go to the gym, I know I could and would at times find excuses not to go :D

The reason for my last post was that in my experience over the last year I did not agree with any of the points that ihatewestwood posted and I responded to each of his points in my reply. I just wanted to give my view and experience of Westwood Clontarf. Everybody has and is entitled to their own opinion, ihatewestwood expressed his and I expressed mine.

I do not consider the gym to be dirty and have on numerous occasions seen the cleaning staff vacuuming the floors, cleaning down the machines and water fonts etc.

I have also seen members not wiping down benches, machines etc when they are finished. Leaving weight plates and dumbells etc laying where they were using them and not bothering to put them back. Spitting in the gym and changing rooms.

Another poster mentioned that the carpets were "showing their age", another point I would not agree with. And if they are indeed in place for 11 years, then with the amount of feet that walk across them on a daily basis over an 11 year period, I am amazed that they are in such good condition. This poster also complained about the gents toilets being "rank" and the urinals being "always on the blink" and "Smelly" and the showers being the same.

Again I would disagree with these comments. Yes, I have on two or maybe three occasions in my year there seen all the mens urinals covered over with black sacks, but this does not constitute "always on the blink" in my book. And as for "smelly" well that's just not the case. And the showers are also clean and not smelly. Again I have seen the cleaning staff hose and scrub out the shower cubicles on a regularly. The only issue I have found with the showers is that in some cubicles you have to keep hitting the button on the wall to keep the water flowing, where as in others the water seems to flow for longer with each push. This is a small irritation and easily overcome by always (as much as possible) using cubicles that I know have good water flow. I do not see this as a reason to come onto a public forum and slate the gym.

The "Pay scales" referred to is similar to what you find in many Chemists and is not simply a scales. It provides a printout of BMI, BF% and possibly BP I think. There is a free scales in the gym proper.

And on the subject of price, I know and understand that there is a recession on, However I also understand that Westwoods main function is as a business, and therefore to make money. Personally for me, going 6 times per week it works out as I said at €2.88 per day. And even if I only went 3 times, that still less than €6 per day. This is still less than 1 trip to a local swimming pool, or a nutrition-less sandwich and a fizzy drink from most shops, or 20 cigarettes etc.

Yes €900 sounds expensive and if I had to pay it all up front I would probably struggle. And yes there are cheaper alternatives around. So in the end it will come down to personal preference and convenience.

Again as I mentioned everybody is entitled to their opinion and I do not intend to continue challenging negative comments about Westwood or getting into arguments on the subject. I simply wanted to give the opinion of someone who has had a positive experience with Westwood Clontarf.

Best Regards,

M

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi Jan

Totally agree with the convenience statement. This is what decided me on Westwood mostly. It's on my way home from work. So I get off the bus in fairview and go to the gym. If I went home first and then had to go to the gym, I know I could and would at times find excuses not to go :D

The reason for my last post was that in my experience over the last year I did not agree with any of the points that ihatewestwood posted and I responded to each of his points in my reply. I just wanted to give my view and experience of Westwood Clontarf. Everybody has and is entitled to their own opinion, ihatewestwood expressed his and I expressed mine.

I do not consider the gym to be dirty and have on numerous occasions seen the cleaning staff vacuuming the floors, cleaning down the machines and water fonts etc.

I have also seen members not wiping down benches, machines etc when they are finished. Leaving weight plates and dumbells etc laying where they were using them and not bothering to put them back. Spitting in the gym and changing rooms.

Another poster mentioned that the carpets were "showing their age", another point I would not agree with. And if they are indeed in place for 11 years, then with the amount of feet that walk across them on a daily basis over an 11 year period, I am amazed that they are in such good condition. This poster also complained about the gents toilets being "rank" and the urinals being "always on the blink" and "Smelly" and the showers being the same.

Again I would disagree with these comments. Yes, I have on two or maybe three occasions in my year there seen all the mens urinals covered over with black sacks, but this does not constitute "always on the blink" in my book. And as for "smelly" well that's just not the case. And the showers are also clean and not smelly. Again I have seen the cleaning staff hose and scrub out the shower cubicles on a regularly. The only issue I have found with the showers is that in some cubicles you have to keep hitting the button on the wall to keep the water flowing, where as in others the water seems to flow for longer with each push. This is a small irritation and easily overcome by always (as much as possible) using cubicles that I know have good water flow. I do not see this as a reason to come onto a public forum and slate the gym.

The "Pay scales" referred to is similar to what you find in many Chemists and is not simply a scales. It provides a printout of BMI, BF% and possibly BP I think. There is a free scales in the gym proper.

And on the subject of price, I know and understand that there is a recession on, However I also understand that Westwoods main function is as a business, and therefore to make money. Personally for me, going 6 times per week it works out as I said at €2.88 per day. And even if I only went 3 times, that still less than €6 per day. This is still less than 1 trip to a local swimming pool, or a nutrition-less sandwich and a fizzy drink from most shops, or 20 cigarettes etc.

Yes €900 sounds expensive and if I had to pay it all up front I would probably struggle. And yes there are cheaper alternatives around. So in the end it will come down to personal preference and convenience.

Again as I mentioned everybody is entitled to their opinion and I do not intend to continue challenging negative comments about Westwood or getting into arguments on the subject. I simply wanted to give the opinion of someone who has had a positive experience with Westwood Clontarf.

Best Regards,

M

you dont work there do you!!

The toilets are rank and have had "those" black bags over the urinals way more than 3 times(i train 6 days a week), the carpets are dirty and if members are paying 900 + a year - the gym should be in tip top condition! inclusive of clean carpets and free weights! lets not forget either about letting all the decent fitness instructors go and bringing in foreign imports as replacements and then there would be training routines given to members, a quick 10 - 15 minute introduction routine where they show you how to do the exercise once and maybe might give the member a chance to do the specific exercise with correct form(once!!!) and thats a maybe. They just want members to sign up for personal training sessions, i find this somewhat dangerous to new members with no experience in a gym aat least take them through a full routine when joining! What else - the main carpark is constantly full at the weekends due to the parties in barcode, you would think members would be given priority here(like it was a couple of years ago). Also in regard to the cleaning staff, up to say a year ago there was usually somebody cleaning the machines with a cloth and spray, even the fitness instructors used to help out and do this - this has most definitely stopped, probably due to westowood letting some of these staff go!!! to sum things up: the price went up last year but the standard went down quite a bit!

empirix wrote: »
    you dont work there do you!!

No. I actually work for a Telecoms company in Clonskeagh. I am an IT engineer.
    The toilets are rank and have had "those" black bags over the urinals way more than 3 times

We will have to agree to disagree on the "Rankness" of the toilets and I personally have only seen all the urinals covered up about 3 times in my year there. I have on occasion seen one or two covered up, like last night there was one covered up. But I have never seen a situation where there was a queue waiting to use the facilities
    (I train 6 days a week),

So do I. Every day except Friday.
    Week days at peak time, between 18:00 and 20:30 and at weekends early morning, 09:30 - 10:00 ish.
    the carpets are dirty and if members are paying 900 + a year - the gym should be in tip top condition! inclusive of clean carpets and free weights!

Like me you work out 6 times a week, so our €900 fee equates to €2.88 aprox for each visit. Maybe I just have lower expections of what I am entitled to for €2.88. I don't expect the Waldorf Astoria.

€2.88 give me access to a spacious reasonably well equipped gym, a wide range of classes mostly free of charge, Free parking (if you drive and can get into the car park), a 25m and 50m pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room & showers and access to PT's who I can ask questions of. Pretty good value in my opinion.
    lets not forget either about letting all the decent fitness instructors go and bringing in foreign imports as replacements

Yes they did let some of their trainers go last year and yes some of them were very good at their job. There were two new female instructors brought in that I know of. Emily a Canadian living here and Tine (I am not sure where she is from). Also yesterday I was there earlier than usual and there was a male instructor there that I had never seen before.
    and then there would be training routines given to members, a quick 10 - 15 minute introduction routine where they show you how to do the exercise once and maybe might give the member a chance to do the specific exercise with correct form(once!!!) and thats a maybe.

I would imagine that this is pretty standard practice is all of the large commercial gyms around. I was also given one of these inductions. The instructor showed me how I should do each exercise and then watched me as I attempted the same and corrected me if my form was incorrect. I have also called them over on a number of occasions just to check my form and they have always been only too happy to help.
    They just want members to sign up for personal training sessions

How strange. A business that wants to make money by selling a service to its custoomers.
    I find this somewhat dangerous to new members with no experience in a gym, at least take them through a full routine when joining!

As I said I think this is the standard practice in most of the big commercial gyms around and I was taken through both routines I was given in the gym.

A point I would make is that I have on a number of occasions seen guys & gals in the gym lifting with incorrect form and have seen some of the trainers pass by and not correct them. This is something that I wish did not happen.
    I would like to see the trainers correct folks who are lifting wrong.
    What else - the main carpark is constantly full at the weekends due to the parties in barcode, you would think members would be given priority here(like it was a couple of years ago).

I go to the gym at around 10:30 on Saturdays and 09:30 on Sundays and have never seen the car park full at this time. Granted when I am leaving at around 14:00 then the carpark would be pretty full/full by then.
    Also in regard to the cleaning staff, up to say a year ago there was usually somebody cleaning the machines with a cloth and spray, even the fitness instructors used to help out and do this - this has most definitely stopped, probably due to westowood letting some of these staff go!!!

I have seen on my time in the gym the cleaning staff wiping down the machines. I have never seen the trainers wiping down machines, but then I don't suppose that many neuro surgeons set up the theatere before an operation. They were employed to do a job not as general dogs bodies.
    to sum things up: the price went up last year but the standard went down quite a bit!

Again that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. For €2.88 a time, all I want is a place with enough equipment to get a decent workout in, where I feel comfortable and that is convenient to me. In my opinion the facilities that are available to me for €2.88 are well worth it and check all my boxes. Could the place be imporved? of course it could but in my opinion it is not as bad a some folks make out.

Now, in the words of Bugs Bunny, eh that's all folks :)

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i have to agree with most of what builder says. i am far from happy at the price westwood charges, but for the facilities they have it is going to more expensive than most. if i used the 50m pool, sauna, steam room, plunge pool, tennis courts, climbing wall and went to any classes it would probably worth it. as for the dirt, that is not true, there is ALWAYS someone cleaning down the machines and the changing rooms, and the toilets are far from rank. the carpets are a little old but how does that effect your training. they are doing the place up atm, and much to my annoyance they are painting and upgrading the decor instead of investing in newer plates etc which id prefer, but im not that bothered as long as i can train.

FWIW Ill probably leave next year because i only use the gym but for what is available its gonna be an expensive gym. and if you dont like you dont have to join, instead of complaining about their prices.

• Advertisement

B-Builder wrote: »
    No. I actually work for a Telecoms company in Clonskeagh. I am an IT engineer.

We will have to agree to disagree on the "Rankness" of the toilets and I personally have only seen all the urinals covered up about 3 times in my year there. I have on occasion seen one or two covered up, like last night there was one covered up. But I have never seen a situation where there was a queue waiting to use the facilities

So do I. Every day except Friday.
    Week days at peak time, between 18:00 and 20:30 and at weekends early morning, 09:30 - 10:00 ish.

Like me you work out 6 times a week, so our €900 fee equates to €2.88 aprox for each visit. Maybe I just have lower expections of what I am entitled to for €2.88. I don't expect the Waldorf Astoria.

€2.88 give me access to a spacious reasonably well equipped gym, a wide range of classes mostly free of charge, Free parking (if you drive and can get into the car park), a 25m and 50m pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room & showers and access to PT's who I can ask questions of. Pretty good value in my opinion.

Yes they did let some of their trainers go last year and yes some of them were very good at their job. There were two new female instructors brought in that I know of. Emily a Canadian living here and Tine (I am not sure where she is from). Also yesterday I was there earlier than usual and there was a male instructor there that I had never seen before.

I would imagine that this is pretty standard practice is all of the large commercial gyms around. I was also given one of these inductions. The instructor showed me how I should do each exercise and then watched me as I attempted the same and corrected me if my form was incorrect. I have also called them over on a number of occasions just to check my form and they have always been only too happy to help.

How strange. A business that wants to make money by selling a service to its custoomers.

As I said I think this is the standard practice in most of the big commercial gyms around and I was taken through both routines I was given in the gym.

A point I would make is that I have on a number of occasions seen guys & gals in the gym lifting with incorrect form and have seen some of the trainers pass by and not correct them. This is something that I wish did not happen.
    I would like to see the trainers correct folks who are lifting wrong.

I go to the gym at around 10:30 on Saturdays and 09:30 on Sundays and have never seen the car park full at this time. Granted when I am leaving at around 14:00 then the carpark would be pretty full/full by then.

I have seen on my time in the gym the cleaning staff wiping down the machines. I have never seen the trainers wiping down machines, but then I don't suppose that many neuro surgeons set up the theatere before an operation. They were employed to do a job not as general dogs bodies.

Again that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. For €2.88 a time, all I want is a place with enough equipment to get a decent workout in, where I feel comfortable and that is convenient to me. In my opinion the facilities that are available to me for €2.88 are well worth it and check all my boxes. Could the place be imporved? of course it could but in my opinion it is not as bad a some folks make out.

Now, in the words of Bugs Bunny, eh that's all folks :)

Best Regards,

M

you go into amazing detail, as for the 2.88 a day , well i have found a place which has a bigger free weights area, near enough the same amount of machines, a 25 m pool with sauna, steam room, also some classes(couldntcare less) and is way cleaner etc etc for 44c per day!

and to refer to another poster, i couldnt give a damn how dirty a gym was, ive trained in hardcore gyms that were falling apart in OZ with used syringes in the dressing room but the point being i wasnt paying 900 a year, anyway im out of this post!

oh yeah and my new gym has less than 100 members - suits me fine!!!

all you do is cancel the direct debit mate - they cant charge you then as the bank will refuse it! what you have done, still lets them charge you but the bank will reject it and incur about a 12 euro fee on your account because of insufficient funds - just cancel the dd instead

i did that aswell man. thanks

you go into amazing detail, as for the 2.88 a day , well i have found a place which has a bigger free weights area, near enough the same amount of machines, a 25 m pool with sauna, steam room, also some classes(couldntcare less) and is way cleaner etc etc for 44c per day!

and to refer to another poster, i couldnt give a damn how dirty a gym was, ive trained in hardcore gyms that were falling apart in OZ with used syringes in the dressing room but the point being i wasnt paying 900 a year, anyway im out of this post!

oh yeah and my new gym has less than 100 members - suits me fine!!!

What gym is this ?

just to prove the point. i met one of their trainer guys that works on the gym floor. they pay him the princely sum 9 euro per hour. now thats money hungry in my book. 900 euro per year. cheeky arent they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

I was a member of westwood in leopardstown for 3/4 years and I have to say was entirely dissatisfied with the whole thing - my husband and I cancelled our membership four years ago now and we still get letters to get us to rejoin offering us discounts on the joining fee.

All the promises/guarantees of support never transpired. Anytime I asked for a fitness programme/fitness assessment I got personal trainer pushed on me. I twice had fitness programmes started and the person walked off without finishing them or didn't turn up for follow on sessions. I remember sitting waiting for someone and asking several people what the story was and they just walked away.

I eventually booked a personal trainer with them, I paid for a course of 3 sessions with this lady as there was an offer and I have to say it was the most insulting and demoralising experience - she was 15 minutes late for the session, told me she'd have to finish on time as she had another session booked, didn't give me what I asked for, put me on a machine and walked off. I did turn up for the second session, she was late again and finished early, didn't have equipment set up or a plan of what to do with me. I didn't book a third session with her and after a couple of months she sent me a text seeing if I wanted the third session. I was so angry I didn't ring her back. I complained to the gym manager who told me she could recommend someone else (at a further cost to me). This trainer has since left and gone to another gym and continues to write to me once a year offering her service.

So, I would say it is very much a money making venture. I attended Pat Henry's gym for a short period of time back in 2000 - for similarish fees I got fantastic attention and support. I just moved from living in the centre of town to close to Westwood so in theory more convenient but it didn't come slightly close....

I also had an issue with the classes they offered - they were very much geared at people already quite fit. I remember signing up for and starting a spinning class once and being unable to complete it because I had a back injury. the instructor simply told me to leave the class when I asked him 'should it hurt here'.... no follow through, support, advice on how to prepare for the class, nothing.

The whole experience so thoroughly put me off gyms and personal trainers and even the whole thing about fitness and exercise. I know that's wrong. i an only imagine the other westwoods are similar. I really felt that Westwood was only interested in the superfit low maintenance customer. I felt when I asked questions it was a drag. There didn't seem to be anyone who twigged that if I did well there I'd be great publicity for them.

Anyway, I've ranted on here, I know it sounds like a 'poor me'. I know others of you have had good experiences there but to me it was a very expensive mistake......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NO TO WESTWOOD

Just be careful when leaving Westwood Leopardstown, they have a clause that if you don't cancel two months or one month (depending on your contract) in advance of leaving Westwood you will be charged the extra months fees. They set up the direct debit early in the month and if you come in after the set up date to say you wish to leave they will already have requested your money from your bank account. We had three family memberships there for 2.5 years and when one member was leaving to live abroad the membership office said she didn't give enough notice and the payment would still go through for the next month. She was leaving the Country and couldn't use up the extra months she was being charged for. We asked if the fee could be transferred to one of our other accounts or even if another family member could use the gym for the extra month instead, the Manager said NO! We told him to cancel all memberships due to bad customer service and are joining Ben Dunnes gym for a considerably better price. We had another issue with the student fees when joining the gym and found Westwood very difficult to deal with, which is why we all left.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Just be careful when leaving Westwood Leopardstown, they have a clause that if you don't cancel two months or one month (depending on your contract) in advance of leaving Westwood you will be charged the extra months fees. They set up the direct debit early in the month and if you come in after the set up date to say you wish to leave they will already have requested your money from your bank account. We had three family memberships there for 2.5 years and when one member was leaving to live abroad the membership office said she didn't give enough notice and the payment would still go through for the next month. She was leaving the Country and couldn't use up the extra months she was being charged for. We asked if the fee could be transferred to one of our other accounts or even if another family member could use the gym for the extra month instead, the Manager said NO! We told him to cancel all memberships due to bad customer service and are joining Ben Dunnes gym for a considerably better price. We had another issue with the student fees when joining the gym and found Westwood very difficult to deal with, which is why we all left.

Strong username to thread content correlation

I was a member for 3 years+ until I was asked to leave after a dispute with a personal trainer. Membership was up anyway when it happened so moved on. Good equipment and I liked the sauna area but thats about it. They still send me letters to join back and apparently it's only 450 now. You could still get better value for your money in places like RAW or Southside Strength and Fitness, quality facilities and friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Is the biggest issue here not that someone is paying €900 a year for gym membership?!?!?!

Bloody hell lads it was even that expensive in boom time!

Shop around or go for a run/walk/cycle/buy some weights.

Seriously €900 is outrageous no matter what they offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Ah it's well worth it now, Clontarf is turning into a disco themed gym, all different coloured lighting everywhere, can't make yourself out fully in the mirrors (due to the lighting)so it's even easier to lie and convince yourself your in great shape! Who needs old school natural light.

place is farcical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm no fan of Westwood, but I assumed this was standard practise for gyms with membership caps?

Advertisement