Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for us noobs who have just gotten accepted ?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just been accepted into UCC. Am absolutely delighted.

I was thinking, seeing as a lot of you have been here for ages, that you could share your advice with those of us who haven't been so lucky ! "Don't go to the chinese on shop street, they use human meat" and the like.

I'm moving into Castlewhite soon, need to make a whole new set of friends as I'm not living with anyone I know. I'm not so worried at the moment, the post-getting-my-offer happiness is not going to fade for a while, but still, any advice is always appreciated ! :)

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

got accepted to UCC too go us!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

oooooh its all so exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Jeebus wrote: »
    I'm moving into Castlewhite soon, need to make a whole new set of friends as I'm not living with anyone I know.

Tip #1, dont live in castlewhite!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I have the best tip for you.

Run.
    Run far away and don't look back!

I went to UCC for a year and hated it, no kidding.

I was lucky though, I got a transfer to a college in Dublin and all is well now!

If you decide to stay though keep an eye on the streets, the crap is not all from dogs! Ive seen people s h i t on the streets:p

Good luck! You'll need it!

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I was lucky though, I got a transfer to a college in Dublin and all is well now!

Aw and im sure everyone in UCC was so so sorry to see you go. Or were they too busy taking a dump on the street to notice you were missing? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well my main reason for leaving was because the Cork people were the rudest people I ever met!
    Think you have just proved my point:cool:

No you're totally right. All us cork people are really rude and we just go around the place taking dumps on the street. You really got us down to a tee there. Clearly you're extremely perceptive and intelligent! Major loss not to have you in UCC anymore.

Well its not called 'The peoples republic of Cork' for nothing!!
    Nobody else wants you guys!! Haha:P

Funny to think you were calling us rude a few posts back! :)

Anyway, way to drag the thread totally off topic, to any noobs if you think that "FluffyCat" represents an intelligent opinion(:rolleyes:) then feel free to pull out of UCC and head to dublin.

Otherwise enjoy the best 4 years of your life here in UCC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'll be going in September and my brother said it's fantastic. I can't wait. :pac: I don't live too far away either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

Run.

If you decide to stay though keep an eye on the streets, the crap is not all from dogs! Ive seen people s h i t on the streets:p

Poor WUM. 1/10 for effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've been accepted but didn't want to do the course,Now i do and i feel i'm fúcked for accomidation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Don't worry if you don't think you want to do the course you've been offered, try it for free until the end of October anyway and see how it goes. If its not for you, you can drop out before the end of October and return to college again the following year without paying fees - I did it myself.

To the rest of ye who got offered a place here - congratualtions and Enjoy your time at UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Well my main reason for leaving was because the Cork people were the rudest people I ever met!
    Think you have just proved my point:cool:

not everyone that goes to UCC is from cork. good luck in dublin, they are lucky to have a person of such intelligence. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Don't bother joining a club/society.

You can miss 80% of your lectures, study during the month off and still get a 1st.

Go out as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GingerNut!

Hey Jeebus

New to UCC myself and also heading to Castlewhite! Many people say its crap, but a two minute walk to the college ain't so bad! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Well its not called 'The peoples republic of Cork' for nothing!!
    Nobody else wants you guys!! Haha:P

Run.

People worked hard for years to get their place and course in college.
    I'll bet some of them are either pretty excited, anxious or nervous to start, I don't think you're helping. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

Just don't gang up and hang around the doors of the Boole library. Enough people do it and it's annoying!
    Remember to not walk over the crest under the arch or walk accross the quad. Stay off the grass too, all the CIT people trampled it last year during the fees protest and it was horrible to watch.
    Agree with anyone when they say the Kane building needs to be knocked down.
    Don't use the computers in the student center or library for Bebo, Facebook or anything like that. It's annoying when you have to queue and you need to use the pc's for real work when everyone is on Bebo and so on.
    Don't use the toilets in Block E of the food science building. Plus the lift is probably a death trap.
    The law building may look nice outside but inside it is kind of shabby.
    That's all I can think of right now. Enjoy UCC!

The best advice i could give to a noob is to make an effort to talk to people in your class especially if you know nobody. Just start talking to some randomers outside lecture halls at the start of the year and you will be grand.

Even if you do know people in college i'd still advise making an effort to get to know new people. You dont want to come out of college with the exact same group of friends as you went in with.

Go to class parties. This is a great way to get to know people in your class. A few drinks and you will be playing air guitar to "sweet child of mine" with your classmates in no time!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chemistycoco

hey you'll love cork, its a really nice a friendly campus and if you get lost (which i have done, dont ask me how :O) ppl are all really helpful!

1. Go to as many mystery tours as you can (trust me you wont regret it!
    2. Join clubs, they are all mad craic
    3. Surprizingly goin to lectures does help gettin to know ppl in you course!
    4. The fancy dress freshers ball is worth the effort, its some laugh.

Good luck in First year, see you there in sept!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i just got accepted to UCC as well and i'm delighted. though i want to ask does anyone know if there are still some vacant places for student accomodation somewhere in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

1. Use the Mardyke. Its a wonderful resource and you've already paid for it.

2. Spend a week on the beer at least twice a year. Freshers Week, Rag and allow for at least one more at random.

3. College offers the opportunity to try new things, and should be the greatest years of your life. Try new things be it fencing or stand up comedy.

4. Talk to everyone in your class. These people will be working closely with you for a few years. I made some of my best friends for life, and I would never have made it through college without their help.

5. Get laid. Often.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

going to UCC, staying in Castlewhite. Can't wait, I know a couple of people coming to UCC as well, but I'm determined to make more friends in my course, for going out and stuff (current friends amazing, but quiet)

Anyone have suggestions for what to bring and not bring to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

MJJOS wrote: »
    The law building may look nice outside but inside it is kind of shabby.

where is the law building?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Aras na Laoi I imagine.

For those of you worried about finding accommodation, dont be, theres more houses left at this time this year than most years in the past. Just walk down college road and you'll see signs everywhere for houses to let. Use http://www.ucc.ie/services/propertyManager/house_search/ to search through houses and daft.ie is great also.

Other than that as someone whos involved in societies and such id say get involved as much as you can in student life, join the clubs that appeal to you and go to the weekly classes.

Become a first year rep for one of the big societies ( looks great on CV, if they have any events you get free tickets, you'll probably get free hoodies and loadsa other perks too), keep in mind every society in UCC has to find at least one first year rep.

If you really want to be involved go for class rep. This year every class will have an education rep and an entertainments rep, education to represent the class for educational issues and entertainments to organise class parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

1. The main restaurant is crap. Go to kiwi (before one to avoid the queues).
    2. When you're printing, don't do the classic arts student rumba and print off an entire book (yes, ye're the only ones that do it, though printing fees will hopefully sort that out).
    3. Try to at least get all your lecture notes during the year, it'll save a ton of hassle during the study month.
    4. If you're doing a science course, don't miss any of your labs. It can prevent you from sitting your summer exam.
    5. All finance girls are absolutely savage.
    6. Lectures during RAG and Freshers Weeks are ENTIRELY optional :pac:
    7. You're in for the best years of your life so enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Yep. Aras Na Laoi. Big yellow building a few minutes away from campus.
    i just got accepted to UCC as well and i'm delighted. though i want to ask does anyone know if there are still some vacant places for student accomodation somewhere in cork?

College accomodation is pretty much booked up I hear. You're best to check out off campus accom, houses, appartments etc. Check the UCC website under 'accomodation' and you'll get a house search, if that's the way you wanna go.
    going to UCC, staying in Castlewhite. Can't wait, I know a couple of people coming to UCC as well, but I'm determined to make more friends in my course, for going out and stuff (current friends amazing, but quiet)

Talk to people in your class/lectures. Join a society that interests you. Talk to poeple in your accomodation. Go to a class party etc.
    Anyone have suggestions for what to bring and not bring to college?

What exactly do you mean? Be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

well i imagine the apts arent huge, so im just wondering what stuff ill really need to bring for myself?

and also what stuff people have brought only to have it take up waay too much space and brought home after a week?

hope thats specific enough

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    Aras na Laoi I imagine.

Anyone else notice that one of the corridors there smells like a combination of **** and toast? :eek:

Advertisement