Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counties with Motorway

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:48am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just 5 or so years ago, the only motorways in the country were all in Leinster, and in a handful of Eastern counties at that: Dublin, Kildare (the first county to have motorway), Wicklow (albeit 1 km!), Meath, Louth and Laois.

But with the rollout of the MIUs, how this has changed. Now ALL the historic 4 provinces have motorway (In Ulster's case, I mean NI of course)

Here's my list of counties that now have sections motorway within their boundaries:

Dublin
    Kildare
    Meath
    Wicklow
    Louth
    Laois
    Cork
    Westmeath
    Offaly
    Roscommon
    Tipperary
    Carlow
    Limerick
    Clare

and soon:
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JupiterKid wrote: »
    and soon:
    Galway
    Kilkenny

I'm sure you're referring to the M9 there when you mention Kilkenny, but don't forget that a short stretch of the M8 (near Urlingford and already open) passes through Co Kilkenny.

There's also Wexford, which will feature a stretch of motorway once the N11 (Gorey bypass) is redesignated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

funny how time flies eh? now, the whole country is tasting what development has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

was the M8 section from Culahill to Cashel that opened last year the first section to open outside Leinster? (excluding NI Motorways)
    **EDIT** Forgot about the Fermoy Bypass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Cue people coming on later complaining that Kerry, Donegal and Ballygobackwards don't have motorways, and stating the unfairness of it all, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford is already fuming! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Bah! We get nothing in this part of the country :D

In fairness I know its not really needed but theres a few major roads that haven't been touched in years so I can understand people complaining.

Great progress compared to just a few years ago though and credit where its due to the government

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Furet wrote: »
    Cue people coming on later complaining that Kerry, Donegal and Ballygobackwards don't have motorways, and stating the unfairness of it all, etc.

Elderly people in East Donegal call the N13 DC "the motorway" and from experience even younger people in Ballygobackwards, sorry, Sligo, call the N4 DC the same thing. The Sligo one is actually motorway grade for some distance too!

So the locals will think they have motorways when they don't ;)

What counties are still DC-less? Mayo, Kerry, Cavan, Monaghan (well it has a Type 3 DC...) any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

MYOB wrote: »

So the locals will think they have motorways when they don't ;)

They'll complain regardless. The road around Donegal town is one of the best quality roads in the country, despite serving a town of only 3000 people.

Actually that reminds me of a time I got stopped by a woman for directions near Mulhuddart: "Excuse me, how do get onto the M50 from here?". "Oh that's easy", I said, "you can see the junction with the N3 dual carriageway from here, just get on the dual carriageway and it will take you straight to the M50 interchange". "Oh I don't want to take the motorway to get onto it...". :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

MYOB wrote: »
    What counties are still DC-less? Mayo, Kerry, Cavan, Monaghan (well it has a Type 3 DC...) any others?

Longford

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mike65 wrote: »
    Waterford is already fuming! :pac:

Waterford won't have to wait too long to join the motorway club, had the N25 been redesignated, it would have had two!

As for counties without motorways, Donegal will never have any (well, I doubt it), Sligo, Cavan, Longford, Mayo, Kerry, and Leitrim come to mind.

Counties with the most motorways (once open/redesignated, according to current plans...)

Dublin: 5 - M1, M2, M3, M11, & M50
    Meath: 4 - M1, M2, M3, & M4
    Kildare: 3 - M4, M7, & M9.
    Galway: 3- M6, M17, & M18
    Westmeath: 2 - M4 & M6
    Laois: 2 - M7 & M8
    Limerick: 2 - M7 & M20

I've probably missed out some, and should point out that despite Meath seemingly have the second highest number of motorways after Dublin, the M1 & M4 both in fact only one junction in Meath and the M1 only travels through the county for a few km.

• Advertisement

Waterford will not have motorway cos the M9 will turn into a city road by the time it reaches the county/city border.

See pic

The N25 being single carriageway will be waiting a long time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

John J wrote: »
    Longford

Would think a TINY amount of the N4 Dromod-Roosky DC is in Longford? If not, good spot, as I'd not even thought of it

mike65 wrote: »

The N25 being single carriageway will be waiting a long time.

The bypass is the N25! This is what he meant by if it had been redesignated...

Right...23 Kms of which about 10 is in Waterford - we are blessed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The M1 has 2 exit's in Meath going northbound and one other exit that leaves the M1 mainline in Dublin but is crosses into Meath before there is any junction from the exit slip.

And Limerick has the M8 accessible only from Tipp and Cork, but clearly signed at the county boundaries.

And According to Google Maps* Longford has about 10m of Dual Carriageway on the N4, the RAB with the R371 is just across the county line from Leitrim.

For Completeness.

* can't swear Google are right, but this seems to agree
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/LeitrimCountyCouncil/N4DromodRoosky/Map,16483,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any sign of services stations opening on the motorways in the near future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I suspect Mayo and Donegal are not going to be happy:D

icdg wrote: »
    I've probably missed out some, and should point out that despite Meath seemingly have the second highest number of motorways after Dublin, the M1 & M4 both in fact only one junction in Meath and the M1 only travels through the county for a few km.

Tipp will have two (M7 and M8), while Limerick will also have the M8 - though only for about two kilometres and without a junction so it hardly counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You could add Waterford to the list if they would just open the new N25 bypass as a motorway, but for some reason (not wanting isolated stretches of motorway :rolleyes:), the NRA won't do it, leaving the way free for three separate local authorities to rezone land for dodgy development along the route.

Kilkenny will have two stretches of motorway by the way: M8 (a little bit near Urlingford) and M9 - three if they ever redesignate the Waterford bypass, because the section north of the new Suir bridge is in Co Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What county will have the most motorway in terms of kilometres?

• Advertisement

Either Tipp or Kildare I'd suspect. Or Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Tipp will have two (M7 and M8), while Limerick will also have the M8 - though only for about two kilometres and without a junction so it hardly counts.
    Ha it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Could well be Tipperary with the most due to substantial part of the M7 and M8 going through. Even with the M9 I'm not sure Kildare will have quite as much length of motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

funnyname wrote: »
    Any sign of services stations opening on the motorways in the near future?

Very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Meath I suspect, the M4 to the South, the M3 Clonee-Navan, the M2 to be designated, and the M1 even makes an appearance albeit briefly to the East.

Tipp would be my second guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

we in Offaly will be gifted with having the highest percentage of national (primary/secondary) roads accounted for by motorways - the M6 and the M7:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

When the M6, 17 & 18 are all completed, Galway will have roughly 123km of motorway I think.

Does anyone know how that will compare to Tipperary, Kildare and Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I think the M8 in Tipp will be almost 70 km, and the M7 length is surely over 50 km.

I think Kildare it's something like 110 km total.

As for Meath - not that much of M4 is in it, not that much of M1, tiny M2, and then it's just M3 to make up the rest - which I think doesn't compare with significant lengths of M4/M7/M9 in Kildare and M7/M8 in Tipperary.

As regards Galway - M17 is probably some way off still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

icdg wrote: »
    Waterford won't have to wait too long to join the motorway club, had the N25 been redesignated, it would have had two!

As for counties without motorways, Donegal will never have any (well, I doubt it), Sligo, Cavan, Longford, Mayo, Kerry, and Leitrim come to mind.

Counties with the most motorways (once open/redesignated, according to current plans...)

Dublin: 5 - M1, M2, M3, M11, & M50
    Meath: 4 - M1, M2, M3, & M4
    Kildare: 3 - M4, M7, & M9.
    Galway: 3- M6, M17, & M18
    Westmeath: 2 - M4 & M6
    Laois: 2 - M7 & M8
    Limerick: 2 - M7 & M20

Can the M3 be considered to be in Dublin since it only begins after Clonee, in Co. Meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

chewed wrote: »
    Can the M3 be considered to be in Dublin since it only begins after Clonee, in Co. Meath?

The maps in this
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10978-0908_2ND_TRANCHE_N3_LEAFLET-4.PDF
    show the M3 starts in Dublin.

Advertisement