Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Highs

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I've heard a lot about these so called 'legal highs' in 'headshops' and I have to be honest, I was very skeptical.

1) There's being no research on any of these brands - Pulse, Spice etc. The party pills are particularly dangerous - they have 20 years + research on MDMA, nothing on most of these brands. I don't even think any of them are safety controlled.

AND they are only legal on a technicality. In that, we haven't gotten round to banning these particular substances just yet.

2) I like a bit of weed (Smoke maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Relaxing and a very nice buzz when with a couple of mates enjoying a few tins) So I think to myself - if I can get weed, why the hell would I smoke this crap?

Last night me and a friend tried out the 'Pulse' stuff. Went into a head shop, bought two five euro bags and smoked the balls off it. One five euro bag is the equivilent of a 20 euro bag of weed. Honestly, the stuff blew me away. As strong as weed - if not stronger, considering the quantity we took.

It sets your heartrate mad and it tastes like absolute dung, but it does give you a very very distinct 'high' and a great stoney buss for ages. It seems to be a cocktail of herbs thrown together.

Anyways, what is the story with these legal highs? I can testify that it is as good if not better than the illegal stuff and its so readily available - yet its not the same as weed at all - we don't really know what the long term effects of this stuff is - we know quite a bit about the effects of weed.

I'm not in favour of drugs legalisation, but I am in favour of decriminalising the stuff. It is, after all, a victimless crime (In that the only victim is me, the adult who occasionaly likes to dabble in the odd novelty) So don't try and make this into a drugs legalisation debate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

TedB wrote: »
    It sets your heartrate mad and it tastes like absolute dung

I can testify that it is as good if not better than the illegal stuff and its so readily available

Doesn't sound better to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Tryed some of these before I didn't really find them as good as the real thing, taste threw me off alot. I don't know why they are legal probably because they are made of legal subatances spices and herbs and the rest and could probably be made at home if you knew what was in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Life.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Done.to.death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ever been in love, OP? Now there's a legal high to tell your friends about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems to be a cocktail of herbs thrown together.
    But you don't otherwise know? And you're consuming it?
    Whatever about the danger of illegal narcotics, at least you can do some research before you take it and make the best informed decision on whether to take it.

With these yokes, you just have some undereducated mop head handing you a bag of it and telling you that it's great. You haven't a fncking clue what risks you're taking. Insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

1: Smoke and Pulse are very like weed yes - probably most worthwhile purchase you can make in a head shop.
    2: Stay away from cocaine imitators such as "Snow" - it will keep you awake for 2 -3 days straight.
    3: The pills aren't worth a ****, so don't waste your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

seamus wrote: »
    But you don't otherwise know? And you're consuming it?
    Whatever about the danger of illegal narcotics, at least you can do some research before you take it and make the best informed decision on whether to take it.

With these yokes, you just have some undereducated mop head handing you a bag of it and telling you that it's great. You haven't a fncking clue what risks you're taking. Insanity.

Em, excuse me, where the hell do you think you're getting off? I'm not some impressionable stone head. I do this kind of thing max 5-6 times a year. Get off yer high horse.

Dave! wrote: »
    Ever been in love, OP? Now there's a legal high to tell your friends about!

Overrated and overpriced :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DarkJager wrote: »
    Overrated and overpriced :D

And the worst comedown out of all the highs. ;)

• Advertisement

I do this kind of thing max 5-6 times a year.
    Ah yes, doing it more often makes it safe.

Ah yes, doing it more often makes it safe.

I suppose you don't drink, or enjoy the odd cigarette? Hell, I'm sure you don't even eat anything that has being fried.

I repeat - get off yer high horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DarkJager wrote: »
    2: Stay away from cocaine imitators such as "Snow" - it will keep you awake for 2 -3 days straight.

With a hideous,hideous comedown..paranoia,nausea,depression and an inability to think.
    Rotten.

Degsy wrote: »
    With a hideous,hideous comedown..paranoia,nausea,depression and an inability to think.
    Rotten.

Assume you tried it as well then Degsy? It really is a ****ing nightmare once you come down off it. Being unable to sleep at all makes things so much worse, you have no option but to suffer through it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I suppose you don't drink, or enjoy the odd cigarette? Hell, I'm sure you don't even eat anything that has being fried.

I repeat - get off yer high horse.
    You still do it though, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭StopWhispering

Up until just before WWII, cocaine and heroin were sold in everyday household products such as medicines and teas. People copped on to their massively addictive effects, they were made illegal/put into moderation.
    http://www.pharmacytechs.net/blog/old-school-medicine-ads

MDMA was legal before 1985 and was used by pshychanalysts to treat depression and lethargy. People copped on and it was made illegal.
    http://www.dancesafe.org/documents/druginfo/ecstasy.php

Marijuana was made illegal in Ireland in 1912 before people copped on.
    http://www.wwmmireland.blogspot.com/

Legal highs will be made illegal also. There is little or no research put into its short or long term side effects. This makes them dangerous.

Terry wrote: »
    You still do it though, don't you?

Big f-cking deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I dunno, i enjoy the ol spliff here and there, used to be mad into it. But this stuff i tried (XXX and Pulse) was magic. Seriously got you high, and its a much cleaner feeling smoke than the illegal stuff. Wore off a lot quicker as well, so if you just wanted it for like a half hour or an hour, you are grand after that, no 'stoneover'.

And cheaper. Much cheaper.

But yes, there must be something dodgy in them. Im sure they will find something in it that should be deemed illegal. but for now, im gonna eat my burgers, drink my pints, climb up big heights and smoke a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

new in town here guys but have had experience of this topic,from both sides..... it seems to be a perpetual football on forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'm not in favour of drugs legalisation, but I am in favour of decriminalising the stuff. It is, after all, a victimless crime (In that the only victim is me, the adult who occasionaly likes to dabble in the odd novelty) So don't try and make this into a drugs legalisation debate.

You are the one who is making it into a drugs legalisation debate.

Just two things:

1) there is no such thing as a victimless crime. Only those too dumb to think it through.

2) There is no practical difference between decriminalising and legalising drugs - both serve to make it easier for criminals to operate.

• Advertisement

Powerhouse wrote: »

Just two things:

1) there is no such thing as a victimless crime. Only those too dumb to think it through.

2) There is no practical difference between decriminalising and legalising drugs - both serve to make it easier for criminals to operate.

Seconded.

Africa wrote: »
    I dunno, i enjoy the ol spliff here and there, used to be mad into it. But this stuff i tried (XXX and Pulse) was magic. Seriously got you high, and its a much cleaner feeling smoke than the illegal stuff. Wore off a lot quicker as well, so if you just wanted it for like a half hour or an hour, you are grand after that, no 'stoneover'.

And cheaper. Much cheaper.

But yes, there must be something dodgy in them. Im sure they will find something in it that should be deemed illegal. but for now, im gonna eat my burgers, drink my pints, climb up big heights and smoke a bit.

The only dodgy smoke product so far is the "Spice Gold". Supposedly has a number of syntethic cannaboids in it. The others like Pulse and Smoke simply use concentrates from plants which are known to have pscyhoactive properties. Thats why they are so potent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Spice and all the other weed substitutes are MUCK! Pure and utter horse dung! Anyone who thinks there better than weed should be shot out of a cannon into a mountain of arse pie and laughed at for making things up.

Had some snow/crank (coke substitute) it also was muck, not the worst muck I've gotten out of those useless teeny bopper muck shops, I was actually surprised it wasn't complete and utter horse dung but it was dung all the same.

Actually, I don't enjoy the odd cigarette, can't stand them.

Nevertheless, you're comparing alcohol - a naturally-occuring toxin which has been consumed for so long our bodies have actually evolved methods of dealing with it and which is under very strict regulation in terms of amounts and production - against some random assortment of toxins which has been on the market less than a couple of years, is compeltely unproven in terms of the effect on humans and is produced and bagged without any quality controls whatsoever by *somebody*, *somewhere*.

There's no comparison.

You'd be safer taking the illegal stuff. No really, at least then you can pretty sure about what you're taking.

Powerhouse wrote: »

Just two things:

That's rubbish, my small town has double yellow lines if I park on them who gets hurt. I'd transitions that right up to weed.
    Legalizing drugs means it becomes a legitimate business, taxed and controlled. Crime bosses can just as easily own a pub or any other business. If cannabis where legal the people selling it would no longer be criminals. decriminalizing drugs makes it easier for them to operate that's why I want full legalization.

Actually, I don't enjoy the odd cigarette, can't stand them.

Nevertheless, you're comparing alcohol - a naturally-occuring toxin which has been consumed for so long our bodies have actually evolved methods of dealing with it and which is under very strict regulation in terms of amounts and production - against some random assortment of toxins which has been on the market less than a couple of years, is compeltely unproven in terms of the effect on humans and is produced and bagged without any quality controls whatsoever by *somebody*, *somewhere*.

There's no comparison.

You'd be safer taking the illegal stuff. No really, at least then you can pretty sure about what you're taking.

Kudos! Each new legal high product is a variation of a previous product. Even a slight variation of an already safe chemical can cause obscene reactions in the human body. Try breathing in ozone instead of oxygen for example.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's rubbish, my small town has double yellow lines if I park on them who gets hurt.
    The cars who can't pass eachother in the street because you're blocking their way.

The cars who can't pass eachother in the street because you're blocking their way.
    But they can pass, the road is as hide as four cars and the lines where only recently put in to add a bit of gloss to the new square, absolutely nobody pays any attention to them and the town continues on as it always has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

rapidly descending into a farce guys....bit steep of a tangent considering the post initially started on legal highs.... :confused:

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Legalizing drugs means it becomes a legitimate business, taxed and controlled. Crime bosses can just as easily own a pub or any other business. If cannabis where legal the people selling it would no longer be criminals. decriminalizing drugs makes it easier for them to operate that's why I want full legalization.

Yeah but then you have the unfortunate side effect of having a bunch of stupefied high people zombieing around the place. At least the only people like that now are the ones to desperate to escape reality to care. If drugs are fully legalised, it removes the negative attributions from society's psyche and more people will feel more comfortable taking them.

I'd take a bit of crime in exchange for a land of the living dead any day.

Anyway, this thread is about legal highs not legalising highs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement