Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do ya brush your teeth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

bout 3 times a day

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Em cant remember the last time Ive went to a dentist, as for teeth....

Once a day sometimes I skip that actually alot of the time I cba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Greyfox wrote: »
    I havent been to the dentist in about 8 years myself...I've never needed to go!

:eek: Omfg.. Some of the replies on this thread..

To.. well everyone really.. when you clean your teeth, you clean your tongue too right? Do you floss? brushing alone doesnt get rid of the gunk! In fairness, I know exactly when this kinda started for me. When I was a kid, I was told by my parents twice a day should do the job. Then I went to the dentist, and was told I needed a small filling. I was so traumatised by the whole ordeal, I started brushing after every single meal aswell as the morning and before bed, (was even terrified of sweets after the what the dentist said) but if I did have anything, the brush came out immediately. As I hit 12 I started using my parents mouthwash from the cabinet, and when I started earning my own few quid later in my teens I bought more expensive stuff (than my mother was willing to pay!) and the floss...

I'd actually freak out if I got a 'carpet' tongue (thats what you called it Maddison wasn't it? :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

1-2 times a day is proper. Anything more and you can risk damaging your teeth
    and gums. Remember, your mouth cleans itself too and your immune system
    plays a big role here. It's not advisable to be brushing more than twice a day with
    "chemicals." Tooth patse is, after all, a collection of chemicals, manufactured at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Usually two-three times a day. Mouthwash and floss once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Greyfox wrote: »
    I havent been to the dentist in about 8 years myself...I've never needed to go!
    Dentist? Try also having to go to the peridonist, endodontist and hygenist several times a year.

I've making any kids I have brush their teeth at gunpoint.

I'm making any kids I have brush their teeth at gunpoint.

I proper LOL'd at that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Twice a day, mouthwash twice and floss once.

Then I rince my mouth out most meals and clean my retainer. It gets pretty yucky after a tuna sandwich :o

The last time I was at the dentist was 2 years ago, when I got 2 extractions for my braces.

Got a call to go back soon, I might go after my next Ortho appointment.

Also....I might have to get my wisdom teeth out soon :(

Dang....my teeth suck!!*

*I very nearly fell into the trap of saying "my mouth sucks!" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

had to reply to this thread
    i have brushed me teeth:D about 10 times the last eight years, and them 10 times were in 2009 as a good year,s resolution

went to dentist 3 weeks ago had to replace one filling that had fallen out was charged 125.00 euro
    went again today got them cleaned was told had perfect strong :D the lady dentist was shocked when i told her that i never brush them,,

question is should i start brushing them now or chance them for another 8 years ??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

had to reply to this thread
    i have brushed me teeth:D about 10 times the last eight years, and them 10 times were in 2009 as a good year,s resolution

went to dentist 3 weeks ago had to replace one filling that had fallen out was charged 125.00 euro
    went again today got them cleaned was told had perfect strong :D the lady dentist was shocked when i told her that i never brush them,,

question is should i start brushing them now or chance them for another 8 years ??????

:eek:

You do realise you probably have horrendously bad breath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Abigayle wrote: »
    Far more often than the poll would allow.
    1. When I wake up
    2. After my breakfast
    3. After 1st coffee
    4. After 2nd coffee
    5. After lunch
    6. After 3rd coffee
    7. After dinner
    8. One big scrub up before bed
    9. (Often throughout the day if bored)

I only use good enamel protection toothpaste. I'd floss after every meal, and use mouth wash. I chew dental gum in between all of this :o

That seems like an excessive amount of tooth brushing! I'd say 3 times a day max. You could be wearing your gums down and go long in the tooth earlier than you should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Floss and brush twice a day, dental work isn't cheap so I'd rather keep them clean.

suzieb wrote: »
    That seems like an excessive amount of tooth brushing! I'd say 3 times a day max. You could be wearing your gums down and go long in the tooth earlier than you should...

I know its a lot, but I cant help it. I get freaked if I can't run my tongue along my teeth and feel nice clean pearly ones.. them and the tongue :o I mentioned a little after that post that I regularly go to the dentist for check-ups, and hes told all is good in there :)

Edit: just saw Scoobys post

*passes out* :(

I know its a lot, but I cant help it. I get freaked if I can't run my tongue along my teeth and feel nice clean pearly ones.. them and the tongue :o I mentioned a little after that post that I regularly go to the dentist for check-ups, and hes told all is good in there :)

Edit: just saw Scoobys post

*passes out* :(

I know theres nothing like the clean feeling of teeth, but i work in a dentist and I find it shocking that you brush your teeth that much and the dentist hasnt advised you that its overbrushing!

On another note,floss first then brush,but a lot of mouthwashes can actually stain your teeth quite badly especially corsodyl and listerine has come in for bad press lately because of its alcohol content,linked with mouth cancer(but imagine it would only be bad if person using it heavy smoker or/and drinker)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

Far more often than the poll would allow.
    1. When I wake up
    2. After my breakfast
    3. After 1st coffee
    4. After 2nd coffee
    5. After lunch
    6. After 3rd coffee
    7. After dinner
    8. One big scrub up before bed
    9. (Often throughout the day if bored)

I only use good enamel protection toothpaste. I'd floss after every meal, and use mouth wash. I chew dental gum in between all of this :o

2 to 3 times daily. always floss at night + use a good mouthwash thats actually been proven to have a clinical effect. Clean tongue regularly too, amazing what builds up on there, not that I spend that long looking at it or anything.

Out of interest, what is good enamel protection toothpaste. What brand do you use and who actually says its good for protecting enamel, besides the manufacturer that is.

I have a sneaking fear which is probably unfounded that Im brushing the enamel off my teeth.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

I know theres nothing like the clean feeling of teeth, but i work in a dentist and I find it shocking that you brush your teeth that much and the dentist hasnt advised you that its overbrushing!

On another note,floss first then brush,but a lot of mouthwashes can actually stain your teeth quite badly especially corsodyl and listerine has come in for bad press lately because of its alcohol content,linked with mouth cancer(but imagine it would only be bad if person using it heavy smoker or/and drinker)

Know that corsodyl stains but thought that it was the best of the mouthwashes and you can counter the staining by visiting hygenist every 4 rather than 6 months + give teeth a quick brushing before you eat food in the morning:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Brush twice, floss once and mouthwash once a day.

I feel uncomfortable when my teeth aren't brushed - kinda feels like my mouth isn't awake.
    I hate to see yellow teeth with that disgusting layer of plaque.

As for enamel protection - i use Arm and Hammer and i love it - teeth feel sparkly and shiny.

amacca wrote: »
    Know that corsodyl stains but thought that it was the best of the mouthwashes and you can counter the staining by visiting hygenist every 4 rather than 6 months + give teeth a quick brushing before you eat food in the morning:confused:

No,we have patients with gum trouble come in and we advise them to use it for no more than 5 days. 6 months later when same person comes in they say "ah yeah sure i've been using that for the last 6 months cos thought it was good" and their teeth are really really badly stained. I've used the corsodyl gel on gum around one or two teeth the odd time for 5 days and even then I notice the teeth around gum get stained so wouldnt recommend it at all...its good at what it does but not long term for teeth staining.hth

Edited to add that Sensodyne Pronamel is meant to protect the enamel but looking at ingredients cant see how. IMO Colgate total is best all round toothpaste or sensodyne for sensitive teeth. Most others are just marketing ploys.

Oh he knows about it :D and he told me to try ease back a little. I use a soft bristle brush and dont over scrub. Oh I know about the flossing first ;) I just read your post about Corsodyl. I use it! thats kinda shocking..
    amacca wrote: »
    Clean tongue regularly too, amazing what builds up on there
    Im freaky about having a clean tongue too. It builds up quickly after I drink coffee. Tongue scum is very germy :(
    Out of interest, what is good enamel protection toothpaste. What brand do you use and who actually says its good for protecting enamel, besides the manufacturer that is.
    This is going to sound even sadder :o I keep two at home, I buy Sensodyne when I shop and buy Arm & Hammer online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

3 times a day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Definitely twice a day, sometimes three if I eat something really sweet or sugary in the middle of the day. Oh and after garlic if I'm at home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

at least once a day... whenever i feel like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

A tooth what??? Why would you use a brush on your teeth??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think it's been mentioned, but the strength you brush is important too.
    So, a person brushing twice a day vigorously vs a person 4 times a day lightly
    will see the former doing more damage. You are not meant to brush hard, fairly light and for a minute or two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Teeth are the sex.

kingtut wrote: »
    Teeth are the sex.

Shhh guys..... look hes coming out... :)

He has a teeth fetish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Are mouthwashes any use? Never used one myself. Have they cleared up the whole oral cancer deal with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Shhh guys..... look hes coming out... :)
    He has a teeth fetish! :pac:

kingtut's teeth fetish + Abigayle's brushing obsession = A whole lot of all night tooth loving ;) brushing, grinding :p, flossing....so so good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Zwillinge wrote: »
    If you have false teeth can you take them out and give them a good scrubbing?

Of course, they slip in and out. My dad would never sleep with his in, his gums would be shot. They're sterilised regularly using Steradent too. Bonjela is also his friend.

I use Sensodyne Pronamel because I was at a friend's, she had it, and I like the taste. I used to use Fiacla, because that's the only toothpaste my mother liked, and I started buying it out of habit. I'm not particularly fussy though, clean is good by me.

I also use Dentyl in the evening, but to be honest gargling in the morning makes me retch to the point of vomiting. I figured brushing alone was better than stomach acid all over my teeth. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :D

Advertisement