Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are the piles all different lengths because they just hammer them in until they hit rock? Do they cut them down level with one another before the next step?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tech2 wrote: »

I found one south of Dalys cross and also on the Newport - Birdhill road. Its one scheme thats littered with underpasses.

Which makes this route on of the best contenders for road widening :)

Also if its a new contractor I can see these guys wanting to get this finished quickly so they can get their checks before xmas! The bulk of the work is well done. The old contractor just ****ed up on everything after this. They were terribly slow on tarmacing the road.

Anyone on the Nenagh bypass hows that going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

On that section I passed there today south of dalys cross and have a few pics when I get a chance to upload them. The concrete pillars were either driven down further or cut off. I cant visible see these anymore on that section. Here is the summary of the scheme judging on what I could see:

- From dalys cross - annacotty is not advanced as I first thought. But a lot of work is being done on this at the minute. Still can see it having the wearing course down in the next 2-3 months.

- From dalys cross to Nenagh has the second last layer of asphalt down and the concrete barrier. Would expect this to be completed before the rest of the other sections.

- Nenagh bypass, I was sickened at looking at this. There is a huge amount of work still to be done. Work was being carried on the side of the road on the crash barrier when I passed. Easily going to be the last piece of the route completed.

- North of Nenagh has about 2km of motorway completed but only one lane is open to traffic on either side.

mysterious wrote: »
    Anyone on the Nenagh bypass hows that going?

See above. Easily going to be the last section completed. I have pics of the 2km northern section which is completed and is open to traffic but restricted to one lane on each carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd love to know why the Nenagh bypass is taking so long.

• Advertisement

Looking north and south from a local overbridge at dromin. For those who want to get to it, its one of the first local roads after the motorway crosses over to the left of the current N7.

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

Viewing northbound at the overbridge south of daly's cross. (notice the local road to the left, just realised there was one afterwards, will be good for access for mainline photos.)
    DSC01991.jpg

Viewing southbound
    DSC01989.jpg

Zoomed in at southbound, the pillars are now either piledriven or cut off.
    DSC01988.jpg

The northern section of the nenagh bypass completed about 2km of motorway but restricted to one lane. I did enjoy the drive through here however very smooth surface.
    DSC01985.jpg

This is going to be one of the most scenic motorways, its very pretty along this route.

Thanks for the pics tech2.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If anybody wants a panoramic view of this you need to take the road from Silvermines to Ballynahinch up over the Silvermines mountain range. You get a view of the route which is impressive. I keep forgetting to bring my camera up with me when I am driving that road.

Regarding those piles. I cannot imagine they would pile them after laying them because the location of the central piles would make it near to impossible for the equipment to get in there.

They must have cut them down to size because of the irregular height of them.

Berty wrote: »
    If anybody wants a panoramic view of this you need to take the road from Silvermines to Ballynahinch up over the Silvermines mountain range. You get a view of the route which is impressive. I keep forgetting to bring my camera up with me when I am driving that road.

Will take that route the next time I head up that direction. Is it far off the N7 Berty? Whats the surfsce on that route like as some of the local roads I passed are god awful around the N7.
    Regarding those piles. I cannot imagine they would pile them after laying them because the location of the central piles would make it near to impossible for the equipment to get in there.

They must have cut them down to size because of the irregular height of them.

Unfortunately all the piles are not done yet, I went to the next underbridge south of the daly's cross overbridge today and there is also more there as you can see it from the side. That boggy section of land must stretch for a km at least.

Tech2

It would be classed as a regional road but a local road at best. Its one of those roads were 60-70kph is the limit in reality. You will know when you are at the view because there will be a bank to your right and if you stretch your neck you will see over it and the view right along the silvermines valley.

Its only around 10 minutes drive off the N7.

Go to Google maps and look for Ballynahinch. Remember Killoscully. Thats where it was made.

Shocking news look at this. What do you notice?

NewN7.jpg

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Shocking news look at this. What do you notice?

The N7 is all of a sudden is going along the route of the new motorway!! :D Google maps is messed up with the updating of new roads. The M8 is missing for most of it and the M6 to Athlone from the N4 isint there!!!

If you zoom in on the map it will show the two carriageways also indicating its a motorway/dual carriageway along the route.

Love how they include the two roundabouts of the junction but no slip roads :D

Love how they include the two roundabouts of the junction but no slip roads :D

Actually reminding me of it the slip road made to birdhill looks very tempting to try on a Sunday(except for the construction traffic only sign) What are the consequences if caught driving on site? :D:D

I would hope they extend that birdhill road to the Newport road. Newport would have better access to Dublin. The old road via Nenagh is a shambles.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I've up-loaded a few photos of the M3 site at Fairyhouse that I took last week. They are in the Meath section of the "REGION" heading at the top of the Boards Home page.
    I will be adding more over the coming days (but not tomorrow, that's Cup Final day:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

tech2 wrote: »
    Actually reminding me of it the slip road made to birdhill looks very tempting to try on a Sunday(except for the construction traffic only sign) What are the consequences if caught driving on site? :D:D

You shall be severely frowned upon! :pac:

Wear a hi-viz jacket and wave to any construction workers you see.

KevR wrote: »
    You shall be severely frowned upon! :pac:
    Wear a hi-viz jacket and wave to any construction workers you see.

Technically you are trespassing on private property and also the insurance factor. The owner of any site is therefore responsible for you unless you have public liability insurance which I doubt most non self employed people do not have.

I would take the risk and have on the M7 road. Stick on your hazards lights which is what the workers do coming and going from their respective machines / work areas.

I would find a regional road if possible but the junction is so remote I would have to take the new link down to it thats the only reason why I would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Word on the grapevine is a late December opening (Nenagh-Limerick). I don't think it will make it though. The works at Drominboy bog look to be still ongoing.

• Advertisement

Here are pictures I took around 20 minutes ago from the Silvermine mountain range.

Here is a picture looking Northbound. The old N7(current of course) is on the far side of this road.

PICT0554-1.jpg

This is the same location looking Southbound.

PICT0553-1.jpg

This is a picture looking North.

PICT0552.jpg

Its a shame there were soo many trees in the way. Sorry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

Word on the grapevine is a late December opening (Nenagh-Limerick). I don't think it will make it though. The works at Drominboy bog look to be still ongoing.

Bummer I thought a potentially good summer might have it finished by October -November.
    I wonder will Bus Éireann introduce expressway Services when this route is complete.Irish Rail will face a problem trying to justify 50-55 euro when this route is all motorway.
    How is the Castletown -Nenagh section going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Looks like it would have been a longer term employment prospect if I'd stuck it out on site :rolleyes:

There are 4 overbridges on what was my section. Head from Newport on Silvermines Road. About a mile befroe Ballinahinch a side road drops down to the left opposite a bungalow. This takes you over a bridge at the start of the 30m deep Ballinahinch cut. Turn left over the bridge and follow the road for a couple of miles takes you over the Birdhill Link on a bridge.

There's a tight left turn down a narrow lane in Ballinahinch itself which crosses other end of the cut, it's a dead end farm access though.

About 3 miles beyond Ballinahinch a side road forks down to the left which crosses the start of 15m deep Kilmastullla cut. This road continues to the N7 but is very narrow, steep and crosses the railway on an unguarded crossing so be careful.

Any of the side roads to the left of the N7 betwwen the big skew bridge and the bypass will also take you up to overbridges.

It will be a spectacular drive when it's finished, wish I'd copied my photos off the laptop I left behind.

I cant wait to see it myself.
    I heard it will defenatley open this year, with the great dry weather, I cant see whats stopping them, there is no contractor problem now so thats not a headache.

Fingers crossed that they speed this up, I cant wait to drive this road:D

mysterious wrote: »
    I cant wait to see it myself.
    I heard it will defenatley open this year, with the great dry weather, I cant see whats stopping them, there is no contractor problem now so thats not a headache.

Fingers crossed that they speed this up, I cant wait to drive this road:D

They should push on with the Nenagh bypass now. They have taken off the old crash barrier off one side of the road but there is a lot of it to take off on the other. I presume another wearing course needs to be laid on the current one to clear road studs, markings, etc..

Also I have some great photos to upload from the current and a few more overbridges I found on the way. Btw the view coming into Nenagh heading south is breaktaking on a nice sunny day.

Taken from an overbridge off the ballnahinch road

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

These four taken from the overbridge near Dromin

DSC02057.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

Taken from the R504 overbridge near birdhill

DSC02068.jpg

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

South of Daly's cross again

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

underbridge south of that overbridge, the piles can be seen

DSC02073.jpg

Damn limit of 15 photos, see above for others

Overbridge found just outside Nenagh, first photo is northbound and Nenagh seen in the background

DSC02083.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

DSC02085.jpg

Mainline again north of Nenagh, nicer day this time ;)

DSC02066.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks for the pictures!

In the very last photo - it looks like they left gaps in the continous white line beside the median for cat's eyes but the cat's eyes were then installed to the left of the line. :confused:

This will be one of the busiest sections of motorway in the country, after the M7/M8 split.

17,000 vehicles a day use it.

With the Nenagh bypass only at 9,500, the N52/R445 is about 8,000 a day.
    So when they join its roughly over 17,000 a day.

Adare is going to be the first town to be hit once all the motorway is finished:(

The only towns left to be bypassed Is Newcastlewest, Abbeyfeale on this route. I know its the N21 but its an extension of the M7. As all the N7 will be bypassed, NWC and Abbeyfeale is going to be nasty. Sorry for being OT. I just am concerned about these towns, as these are still one of the largest towns still on a national primary route. traffic will be exasperbated once the M7 is finished.

• Advertisement

I drove the Nenagh bypass today and happened to drive around the back roads around Borris in Ossory, near Rathdowney coming from Abbeyleix direction.

I was very very confused after leaving old town.

I crossed a dual carraigeway and a flyover and 2-300 mtrs down the road I passed another dual carraigeway both coming from and going in the same direction at an angle I must presume they are meeting up.

How very odd.

The nenagh section of the widening project is very much nearly finished. They are making good work on the widening section under the flyover at Five alley. The only things left to do on the Nenagh bypass is to lay down the layer of wearing course blacktop, do some infilling, complete signage and remove the damn pesky travellers from the onramp at the Thurles interchange. :D

The techs were even taking core samples of the final sublayer of blacktop. The findings of which should tell them whether or not they can complete the next section. They have to send them to Portlaoise for testing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement