Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligent life cover-up!?.[ET/UFO]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

the evidence of a government cover-up of ET life does not appear plausible
    Kernel wrote: »
    Watch and read some Nick Cook (I've linked him many times)
    Nick Cook's government cover-up conspiracy claims in his book, The Hunt for Zero Point, are a repetition of many of the claims found in this thread.

Nick Cook is a journalist and not a scientist by his own admission. One scientist he relied heavily upon to write his book The Hunt for Zero Point has very questionable credibility (and that's being polite). For example...

A Nick Cook quote from "The Atlantic" interview regarding the contents of his book, The Hunt for Zero Point:

“I'm not a scientist. I have to defer to people I respect in the field, and one of them is definitely Hal Puthoff, a very sober-minded individual…”

• This is the same Hal Puthoff that believed that Uri Geller could bend spoons, which was later debunked as a magic trick (Boyce Rensberger, "Magicians Term Israeli 'Psychic' a Fraud," The New York Times. 13 December 1975, page 59)?
    • This is the same Hal Puthoff who joined the Church of Scientology in the late 1960s and reached the top OT VII level by 1971?
    • This is the same Hal Puthoff who wrote up his "wins" for a Scientology publication, claiming to have achieved "remote viewing" abilities, including to have remotely viewed the planet Mercury using his mind only?

Another Nick Cook quote from "The Atlantic" interview regarding John Hutchinson also featured in his book:

“Hutchison is interesting, He's not a trained scientist. He's not an academic. He's just one of these guys who has an intuitive feel for electricity in particular, and other aspects of physics. He puts bits of machinery together. He tunes them. He adapts them. And from those pieces of machinery he's able to transmute metals—steel into lead, or lead into steel.”

How about "transmuting" lead into gold?:rolleyes: It's hard for me to find what Nick Cook writes as credible, when key sources he relies upon are incredible.

Sources:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200209u/int2002-09-05
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Puthoff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Nick Cook's government cover-up conspiracy claims in his book, The Hunt for Zero Point, are a repetition of many of the claims found in this thread.

Nick Cook is a journalist and not a scientist by his own admission. One scientist he relied heavily upon to write his book The Hunt for Zero Point has very questionable credibility (and that's being polite). For example...

A Nick Cook quote from "The Atlantic" interview regarding the contents of his book, The Hunt for Zero Point:

“I'm not a scientist. I have to defer to people I respect in the field, and one of them is definitely Hal Puthoff, a very sober-minded individual…”

• This is the same Hal Puthoff that believed that Uri Geller could bend spoons, which was later debunked as a magic trick (Boyce Rensberger, "Magicians Term Israeli 'Psychic' a Fraud," The New York Times. 13 December 1975, page 59)?
    • This is the same Hal Puthoff who joined the Church of Scientology in the late 1960s and reached the top OT VII level by 1971?
    • This is the same Hal Puthoff who wrote up his "wins" for a Scientology publication, claiming to have achieved "remote viewing" abilities, including to have remotely viewed the planet Mercury using his mind only?

Another Nick Cook quote from "The Atlantic" interview regarding John Hutchinson also featured in his book:

“Hutchison is interesting, He's not a trained scientist. He's not an academic. He's just one of these guys who has an intuitive feel for electricity in particular, and other aspects of physics. He puts bits of machinery together. He tunes them. He adapts them. And from those pieces of machinery he's able to transmute metals—steel into lead, or lead into steel.”

How about "transmuting" lead into gold?:rolleyes: It's hard for me to find what Nick Cook writes as credible, when key sources he relies upon are incredible.

Sources:

Looks pretty dubious alright. I'd be very Puthoff by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Sources:

I've read the book twice, and watched his documentaries. I appreciate your points that Puthoff and Hutchison are being largely discredited, I must point out that you use only two sources to attempt to disprove all of Cook's research. No, he is not a scientist. But that is irrelevent. He's researching and interviewing people with regard to the UFO phenomenon. If you want a scientist that has done the same, then use Dr. Allen Hynek. And for those who don't know, he started off debunking the phenomenon, and turned into a believer in the end.

Why not address the experiments of Podkletnov showing a weight reduction through the use of superconductors? Or Boyd Bushman?

The Robert Whidmer interview where he speaks of designing saucer shaped craft that are still design classified?

Billion Dollar Secret:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3975546396136405829

I'd watch the whole documentary, but here are some highlights:

28:38 of this interview, is Bushman a raving looney? No, he is very well respected in his field. Also 54:50, Whidmer talks about the secrecy - this is important for many conspiracy theories. 57:30 Jack Gordon speaks about Skunkworks.

UFO Hunters Season 2 episode 18 is also a decent look at the nazi possibility of the bell. Unusual since the show seems to be blatant disinfo. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

NASA PUBLIC RELATIONS PUSH FOR FUNDING. Today we are watching the space shuttle perform upgrades to the Hubble telescope live, with frequent updates on several of the news programmes throughout US America. NASA appears to be doing everything from a PR standpoint to improve its chances to be funded in the new federal fiscal year that begins on 1 October 2009 (just like my cousin at NASA-JPL said... see my earlier post). Sharing with the US American public what they are doing and discovering in space is the best way to get the funding they need during these stressed economic times, rather than to try and hide their discoveries for some mysterious and unexplained reasons, a position which is obviously opposed to the speculation found on this conspiracy thread.

WHAT RELIGIOUS MOTIVATED COVER-UP? And contrary to an earlier post on this thread contending that the space exploration discoveries would be withheld from the public and made secret because it might contradict various religious beliefs about the origins of life (e.g. creationism or intelligent design), it was announced today to millions of US Americans, while we were watching the Hubble upgrade space mission live action, that the new optics and electronics now being installed may allow us to see billions of years back in time. Now I have not qualified this last statement from any scholarly sources as to its potential for validity, but the mere fact that major news media networks (eg., ABC, CBS, NBC) are announcing that the Hubble may be viewing a universe billions of years old certainly contradicts the notion that such information would be withheld in order to not offend several of the religious beliefs found in US America?

TO AVOID PANIC COVER-UP? Furthermore, and contrary to earlier posters (and their sources) that contended the government would withhold space exploration discoveries from the public in order not to cause panic, I find this a very dated and untimely observation about how the public may respond to the discovery of life beyond our planet. Certainly there may be uneducated or misinformed members of the public that may express concern, but there will also be millions of others that will be thrilled by a discovery?

For example, the late 20th Century and early 21st Century populations of developed nations seem to love sci-fi films with space exploration themes like Star Trek, where they discover and interact with life on other planets or dimensions? I cannot envision the millions of Star Trekkie's running in panic from an encounter with other life forms, but rather I can see many of them rushing to their computers to be the first online to post Twitter or a YouTube vid of the new life form, or to hit the eBay market first and sell T-shirts with the image of the new life form!

Of course this non-conspiracy interpretation is a bit boring to read, and lacks the excitement of government cover-ups, mystery, and speculation about hidden, secret life forms flying about in their UFOs?

WHAT RELIGIOUS MOTIVATED COVER-UP? And contrary to an earlier post on this thread contending that the space exploration discoveries would be withheld from the public and made secret because it might contradict various religious beliefs about the origins of life (e.g. creationism or intelligent design), it was announced today to millions of US Americans, while we were watching the Hubble upgrade space mission live action, that the new optics and electronics now being installed may allow us to see billions of years back in time. Now I have not qualified this last statement from any scholarly sources as to its potential for validity, but the mere fact that major news media networks (eg., ABC, CBS, NBC) are announcing that the Hubble may be viewing a universe billions of years old certainly contradicts the notion that such information would be withheld in order to not offend several of the religious beliefs found in US America?

George Deutsch.
    Of course this non-conspiracy interpretation is a bit boring to read, and lacks the excitement of government cover-ups, mystery, and speculation about hidden, secret life forms flying about in their UFOs?

Buzz Aldrin.
    Edgar Mitchell.
    Gordon Cooper.
    Donna Hare.

And the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

That is taken well out of context.
    Buzz Aldrin has never expressed a belief in aliens.

If he wasn't taken out of context you'd see he goes on to explain it was probably a panel from the stage that contained the LEM.

King Mob wrote: »
    That is taken well out of context.
    Buzz Aldrin has never expressed a belief in aliens.

Never mentioned aliens KM. UFOs are what I'm interested in. ;)
    If he wasn't taken out of context you'd see he goes on to explain it was probably a panel from the stage that contained the LEM.

:D

George Deutsch.
    What's your point? You provided no explanation, only a name. As to his credibility, how can anyone believe anything this person claims?

Thursday, February 9, 2006

George Deutsch, a controversial George W. Bush appointee at NASA, resigned his post as press officer the same day that Texas A&M University confirmed that he never graduated from the school. The resume of the 24-year old had claimed he received a "Bachelor of Arts in journalism, Class of 2003."

Source: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/George_Deutsch_resigns_NASA_post_after_Texas_A&M_refutes_his_resume

What's your point? You provided no explanation, only a name. As to his credibility, how can anyone believe anything this person claims?

Thursday, February 9, 2006

George Deutsch, a controversial George W. Bush appointee at NASA, resigned his post as press officer the same day that Texas A&M University confirmed that he never graduated from the school. The resume of the 24-year old had claimed he received a "Bachelor of Arts in journalism, Class of 2003."

Source: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/George_Deutsch_resigns_NASA_post_after_Texas_A&M_refutes_his_resume

Dig a little deeper.. the truth is out there. You asked 'WHAT RELIGIOUS MOTIVATED COVER UP?'.

Alright here, I'll hand it to you:
    wiki wrote:
    Mr.Deutsch gained notoriety in late 2005 and early 2006, when it was reported that he had instructed a NASA website designer to add the word "theory" after every occurrence of the phrase Big Bang.[1] In his memo to the website designer, Mr. Deutsch wrote that the Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion... It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a creator... This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue." The memo also noted that the AP Stylebook calls for the usage of the phrase "Big Bang theory"

Dig a little deeper.. the truth is out there. You asked 'WHAT RELIGIOUS MOTIVATED COVER UP?'.

Alright here, I'll hand it to you:
    Mr.Deutsch gained notoriety in late 2005 and early 2006, when it was reported that he had instructed a NASA website designer to add the word "theory" after every occurrence of the phrase Big Bang.[1] In his memo to the website designer, Mr. Deutsch wrote that the Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion... It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a creator... This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue." The memo also noted that the AP Stylebook calls for the usage of the phrase "Big Bang theory"
    Where's the cover up exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

The same Buzz Aldrin who decked a moon landing CTer.

Lets see you think it's suspicious that Mythbusters use NASA information to prove the moonlandings happened, but at the same time are happy to take a NASA's astronauts account of a UFO sighting at face value.

Hilarious.

Diogenes wrote: »
    The same Buzz Aldrin who decked a moon landing CTer.

Lets see you think it's suspicious that Mythbusters use NASA information to prove the moonlandings happened, but at the same time are happy to take a NASA's astronauts account of a UFO sighting at face value.

Hilarious.

No. Try listening to the words that come out of Buzz's mouth We're talking about NASA coverups. He mentions none of the three A11 crew saying anything about the object. He was a part of NASA, the organisation in question. Therefore a primary source discussing a cover-up. Ah why do I bother?

Also, your logic is flawed by bringing up the fact that Buzz decked a moon landing CTer. The reason he decked him was because he was harassing him over a period of time. Buzz had enough, the rest you know.

No. Try listening to the words that come out of Buzz's mouth We're talking about NASA coverups. He mentions none of the three A11 crew saying anything about the object. He was a part of NASA, the organisation in question. Therefore a primary source discussing a cover-up. Ah why do I bother?
    They weren't saying anything about the object because they didn't want mission control to cancel the mission.
    He says as much in the video.

But when he says he saw a ufo it's a primary source but when he says he went to the Moon it isn't?

But when he says he saw a ufo it's a primary source but when he says he went to the Moon it isn't?

Why, I never disputed the fact that the Apollo 11 astronauts went into space now, did I?

Why, I never disputed the fact that the Apollo 11 astronauts went into space now, did I?

Yes you have.
    You have said several times you are on the fence.

Does Buzz Aldrin's testimony put you over the fence?

Mr.Deutsch gained notoriety in late 2005 and early 2006, when it was reported that he had instructed a NASA website designer to add the word "theory" after every occurrence of the phrase Big Bang.
    First of all, the Big Bang is a theory in every sense of the term. In the methodology of science, there are no proofs, only the analysis of data that "suggests" a theory has merit in terms of how it describes, explains, and predicts phenomena. So no matter George Deutsch's motive, be it religious, political, or otherwise, in a scientific sense, he was correct by insisting that "theory" be added to Big Bang. There are other "theories" of the universe, including one that is post-modern in that it suggests more randomness and chaos than the Big Bang structuralist "theory."

Secondly, we live in a community of humans that have different interpretations of reality, and such humans may abuse their office at times to promote their bias, be it religious, political, philosophical, or the biases of those they identify with or listen to. It would be naive to suggest that humans are value free (see Max Weber in Economy and Society) and act accordingly once appointed to office. But to claim that he was part of a larger, organised conspiracy with a mission, goals, and objectives intentionally intended to block any discoveries of interplanetary life forms (including UFOs) in order to please the religious lobbies is a bit much to accept, especially in light of those space exploration discoveries thus far revealed that fly in the face of most religious belief systems, including today's announcement of the Hubble upgrades that may allow science to view billions of years contrary to most western religious beliefs (which the pro-conspiracy "theorists" in this thread have thus far conveniently chose to ignore)?

Kernal wrote:

So Buzz Aldrain is telling the truth when he says he saw a UFO and went into space, but he is lying when he says he went to the moon.
    No. Try listening to the words that come out of Buzz's mouth We're talking about NASA coverups. He mentions none of the three A11 crew saying anything about the object

There were only three Apollo 11 crew. Is it not possible that they didn't see the object?

The reason he decked him was because he was harassing him over a period of time. Buzz had enough, the rest you know.

Ah so it wasn't the fact that the guy was calling Buzz Aldrain a liar, that annoyed him, it was the fact that he called him a liar several times, over a period of time.

Riiiiiggghhht.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yes you have.
    You have said several times you are on the fence.
    On the fence about going to the moon, not about going into space.

bonkey wrote: »
    On the fence about going to the moon, not about going into space.
    Ah missed that.

But why take Buzz's word for it when he talks about a UFO (which he then in the same interview identified.) But not take his word about being on the moon.

And why would he never reveal anything that would imply the landing was a but let slip this thing about the UFO?
    Wouldn't Nasa make sure he didn't?

I've read the book twice, and watched his documentaries. I appreciate your points that Puthoff and Hutchison are being largely discredited
    OK, that's two you agree have been discredited that Nick Cook uses as sources in his book. Now for number three, Allen Hynek, as you recommended?
    If you want a scientist that has done the same, then use Dr. Allen Hynek. And for those who don't know, he started off debunking the phenomenon, and turned into a believer in the end.
    To use your same wikipedia linked information regarding Allen Hynek, "reading deeper" as you have suggested elsewhere in this thread, there are serious methodological problems with his justification for making the major shift in his opinion from debunking to UFO advocate, which a credible scientist would be aware of?

Methodological problems with Hynek's decision by wikipedia quotes from the link provided by you:

"Another shift in Hynek's opinions came after conducting an informal poll of his astronomer colleagues in the early 1950s..."
    • "informal poll" that was not statistically representative, therefore non-generalisable to the population of astronomers
    • "colleagues" - a bias sample of coworkers, collaborators, and/or friends
    "Of 44 astronomers, five (over 11 percent) had seen aerial objects that they could not account for with established, mainstream science..."
    • small sample size (n=44), with even a smaller number pro-UFO (n=5), thereby making the calculation of percentages meaningless (For example, if you have only one UFO advocate and want to increase that number by 100%, you need only add one more for a total of two advocates, therefore calculating percentages for small numbers is meaningless!)
    "Hynek also noted that this 11% figure was, according to most polls, greater than those in the general public who claimed to have seen UFOs."
    • A statistically non-representative "informal poll," using a biased sampling of "colleagues," with small sample size (n=44), and even a smaller (n=5) number of UFO advocates cannot be compared with other polls statistically, making the 11% comparison meaningless
    • If we were to use his meaningless percentages, why didn't he accept the lack of supporting observations by the majority 89% (n=39) of his colleagues, rather than just the small minority 11% (n=5)?
    Darrell Huff in his book How to Lie With Statistics cautions people in making decisions based upon percentages from small sample sizes (like those above), as well as those from non-representative and biased samples. (I can provide a great number of statistical textbook citations that will agree with Huff if needed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

you want to believe!?
    The essence of science [NASA] is that it is self-correcting.New experimental results and novel idea's are continually resolving old mysteries....
    Those new experiments require both skepticism and imagination both, Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were... but without it we go no-where, skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from facts to test our speculations.
    [NASA are only there to attain technology for science,as this is the only real important thing it share's to the the American people and/or the world.....it also give's a reason for the lack of interest ,as it is un-cool to most.]
    The last thing NASA want is more question's then answer's before sharing with the world's people.THEY also know that 50% of the scientific communities would be hostile to the idea of life beyond earth.its a good enuf reason for a cover-up of intelligent life...nor is it the only reason one can imagine.

All life on earth is closely related. we have a common organic chemistry and a common evolutionary heritage.As a result our biologists are profoundly limited.

yes we have surpassed the science known to the ancient world but there are irreparable gaps in our historical knowledge, just imagine.....

off topic[should a poll be added for the laugh!?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

I always found this theory interesting and it seems to make sense scientifically, to me at least....

Not sure if the numbers of stars and planets etc is accurate, but I'm sure the basic theory would still hold up - anyone know if this is still accepted?

As described by your friendly neighbourhood sci-fi author....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlikCebQSlY

EDIT: Posted the link to show my opinion on whether there is life out there. I think that there is, or was, or will be life on other planets but I dont think they have been here. I'd love to see evidence of it before I die though.

jonbravo wrote: »
    The last thing NASA want is more question's then answer's before sharing with the world's people.THEY also know that 50% of the scientific communities would be hostile to the idea of life beyond earth.its a good enuf reason for a cover-up of intelligent life...nor is it the only reason one can imagine.

What do you mean by that? Why would any scientist be hostile?
    It would be the single greatest discovery ever.

What do you mean by that? Why would any scientist be hostile?

I believe its the plot of the miniseries "V".

Ah missed that.

But why take Buzz's word for it when he talks about a UFO (which he then in the same interview identified.) But not take his word about being on the moon.

Well, as I mentioned, one of the reasons I am on the fence is that the Apollo 11 crew have been notoriously silent about the whole episode. If I landed on the moon, I'd never shut up talking about it. AFAIK Buzz has spoken once or twice on the landing.

Well, as I mentioned, one of the reasons I am on the fence is that the Apollo 11 crew have been notoriously silent about the whole episode. If I landed on the moon, I'd never shut up talking about it. AFAIK Buzz has spoken once or twice on the landing.
    So what if they don't give that many interviews? How many interview do astronauts usually give?

His official website seems to be very clear on the matter.
    http://buzzaldrin.com/

He only gave one interview where he mentions this UFO, so why do you believe him then?
    Was he lying on his other interviews (including one with Ali G)?

Well, as I mentioned, one of the reasons I am on the fence is that the Apollo 11 crew have been notoriously silent about the whole episode. If I landed on the moon, I'd never shut up talking about it.

Well once again is your own bias skewing your version of what an astronaut should and shouldn't do.

Neil Armstrong has given dozens of interviews, toured the world, travelled to Russia, all because of the moon landing. He has an authorised biography. Thats hardly "silent".

AFAIK Buzz has spoken once or twice on the landing.

Buzz Aldrin Austroaunt Interview gives 38,000 links.

So again, do you think Buzz Aldrin was telling the truth about seeing a UFO but lying about landing on the moon?

Well once again is your own bias skewing your version of what an astronaut should and shouldn't do.

Neil Armstrong has given dozens of interviews, toured the world, travelled to Russia, all because of the moon landing. He has an authorised biography. Thats hardly "silent".

Buzz Aldrin Austroaunt Interview gives 38,000 links.

So again, do you think Buzz Aldrin was telling the truth about seeing a UFO but lying about landing on the moon?

Diogenes, this will be my last post here for a long time (or possibly ever). I have no idea what your argument is supposed to be, and I have no idea what google hits on Buzz Aldrin interview is supposed to prove either. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Bye.

Diogenes, this will be my last post here for a long time (or possibly ever).

Promise? :pac::p:D:pac::p:D
    I have no idea what your argument is supposed to be,

It's pretty simple really, you claim that you're on the fence about whether the Apollo 11 landings occured. Yet at the same time feel that the evidence of Buzz Aldrin gives about an incident during the Apollo 11 moon mission is true, but that means you're convinced he's telling the truth about seeing a UFO, but possibly lying about going to the moon, on the same mission
    and I have no idea what google hits on Buzz Aldrin interview is supposed to prove either. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Bye.

Duh, That it proves that your claims that Buzz has only given two interviews, is utterly bogus.

:cool::rolleyes::D:pac::p:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Duh, That it proves that your claims that Buzz has only given two interviews, is utterly bogus.

:cool::rolleyes::D:pac::p:rolleyes:

I googled 'world war 1' and got 216,000,000 approx pages. I guess that means that there were a lot more than one world war eh? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:**** sake, right that's it, don't tempt me back with more easy rebuttals, time is money.

Advertisement