Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to music?

Options

Comments

What is this lastfm business you are all talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No, what's this meeeu-sssssssic you speak of. This is the debbils work indeedy.

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH.

But seriously........yes yes I do. I must have the strangest tastes. Metal+a bit of dance+doom+stoner metal+kodo=metal drumming that you can dance to. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

Sure do. Oasis being fairly high up the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sure do. Oasis being fairly high up the list.

Damn the forum rules, damn them all to heck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What is this lastfm business you are all talking about?
    basically is a website that tracks and uploads to your personal www.last.fm page what you've been listening to.

i have it install on my pc/work laptop/personal laptop and my phone so the only music that i listen to that isn't tracked is music i listen to in the car.

btw i was the only one who mentioned last.fm heheh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Something I kinda wonder now, do many people here ever watch concerts/performances on DVD, or TV? I've got quite a few music DVDs myself, and I'll often pop one on.

Also, I bring you more music:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have met a small handful of people who said: "I don't like music" and "I don't like film"... WTF?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

"Everything will pass, and the world will perish- but the Ninth Symphony will remain"
    -Mikhail Bakunin.

Theres bands like The Clash, The Pogues and artists like Leonard Cohen I'd honestly think I'm all the better for having ever heard. A world without music would be.....boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Neesa wrote: »
    Yep. Apparently it's "too much hassle" trying to decide what songs to put on, whether to play the whole album, if not then they have to keep changing...
    :confused: - I don't get it either.

Surely if you have a decent collection of music on your computer you just hit "random"? I mean, it your comp of whatever so you should be happy with everything on it? Then again, maybe they don't have the comp hooked up the stereo and all that!

We don't have tv channels in our place, so it's normally music that is on, unless we really want to watch something like Futurama, Family Guy or whatever else we have on the hard drives.

Which is a good bit of stuff in fairness.

Something I kinda wonder now, do many people here ever watch concerts/performances on DVD, or TV? I've got quite a few music DVDs myself, and I'll often pop one on.

i don't have many music dvd's myself, but i'm a sucker for soundboard recorded bootlegs concerts that have been filmed and stuck up on youtube and the like.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I have met a small handful of people who said: "I don't like music" and "I don't like film"... WTF?!

I think there's a lot of people who don't actually listen to music. I mean, for a lot of people music is just a backing track for dancing. I remember talking to a girl about music and when I'd bring up certain things she'd say she doesn't like it because she can't dance to it.

This is for you by the way:

Nobody listen to it but Dudess.

This one is for everyone else:

Everyone but Dudess listen to it.

basically is a website that tracks and uploads to your personal www.last.fm page what you've been listening to.

i have it install on my pc/work laptop/personal laptop and my phone so the only music that i listen to that isn't tracked is music i listen to in the car.

btw i was the only one who mentioned last.fm heheh

Some was attempting to expose Janeymc's Last habits in another thread.
    So there smarty pants. :razz:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

When i was younger i never gave music a chance, Now i listen to all kinds of music, I could never stick to one genre of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No, not really. Mostly they fail to appeal to me. Having said that there are a few performances I have on tape which I've watched countless times.

Do you like sport though?

Whilst I find it odd that people can't or don't enjoy a particular segment of culture there is no doubt some area of it which most of us can't or don't enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I don't really bother.

If I am near a radio I'll throw on phantom, but thats about it, cant be bothered most of the time, I don't understand how people spend hours downloading and compiling a playlist, which will last half an hour? Its so much hassle, and so little reward.

You get sick of any song after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think there's a lot of people who don't actually listen to music.
    Yeah, I agree, but they'd still have it on in the background - listen to the radio on the way to/from work etc. But to actually not like music...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I don't really. I don't have a soul for it to appeal to.

Thats a bit harsh. I'm not saying its not true ... just that its harsh.

Go to youtube and put in Julia Nunes - listen to the covers she does but also her own stuff like "binoculars".

I only listen to 5-10 songs a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah, I agree, but they'd still have it on in the background - listen to the radio on the way to/from work etc. But to actually not like music...

The only music I dont like is Alternative & Indie .......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Honestly, I don't listen to music as I'm just not into it. I'm otherwise an average 23 year old male in college etc, but I can't really see why I should listen to music. It all seems a bit pointless. What's the purpose of it? I have better things to do.

Now I don't HATE music, I have a good few songs on my iPhone, but I'd easily go a few months without purposely listening to a track. It's just noise, pleasant for a while, but I'd rather watch and listen to the world I'm living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I do, my collection of live dvds is growing steadily all the time. Both bootlegs and official releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

i would listen to > 100 tracks at day, easily.

in fact i'm listening right now.

i would die if i couldn't listen to music, i really would

+1

I was actually thinking today how devastating it would be to be deaf & not be able to hear any music!

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, not really. Mostly they fail to appeal to me. Having said that there are a few performances I have on tape which I've watched countless times.

Which are the ones you've watched countless times?

For me, I picked up a Joe Hisaishi DVD while I was in Japan, pretty rare even there, scoured shops for it. Probably one of my most treasured piece of music, and I'd easily watch it for hours:

This one is for everyone else:

Everyone but Dudess listen to it.

love the final fantasy scores so i do.

also love this at the moment

Some was attempting to expose Janeymc's Last habits in another thread.
    So there smarty pants. :razz:
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I hate all music and I'm tempted to lock this thread.

It's all a crock anyway. Look at protest singers for one thing. Oooh Bob Dylan is a protest singer. Well that's swell except nobody including the man himself has a clue what his songs are about. Hardly an effective protest. Plain and simple placards are how you protest Bob.

Elessar wrote: »
    It all seems a bit pointless. What's the purpose of it?

Are you serious, or just trying to provoke a reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Zangetsu wrote: »
    This is a bit of an odd one really, never been able to get my head around it...

I have a few friends and know a couple other people that have absolute NO interest in music. This is absolute madness in my mind, how someone could survive without it is beyond me...

So how bout it... Any of you freaks people on boards?

What do you listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Which are the ones you've watched countless times?

Come to think of it, it's mostly Nirvana's Unplugged session. How predictable. Also have a RATM Live 'n' Loud on the same tape (that's right VHS). I do keep meaning to pick up Pearl Jam's Touring DVD and Alice in Chains Unplugged too.

Do you think that live performances lose anything in translation to the small screen?
    javaboy wrote: »
    I hate all music and I'm tempted to lock this thread.

Hmmm.
    javaboy wrote: »
    It's all a crock anyway. Look at protest singers for one thing. Oooh Bob Dylan is a protest singer. Well that's swell except nobody including the man himself has a clue what his songs are about. Hardly an effective protest. Plain and simple placards are how you protest Bob.

Didn't you see that video where he has the placards with the lyrics so deaf people can sing along? You know the one. That song that he did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I absolutely love music. It is a huge part of my life.
    There are some genres I just don't get (like metal, trance and most hip-hop) but I like to think I'm open minded and will listen to most types.

Talking to others about music can be frustrating though. I love discussing bands and songs I like/don't like and I love getting recommendations. But I absolutely detest music snobs - y'know the twats I'm talking about.
    "Oh I liked <random band> before they got famous but don't like them now because they realised a semi-successful album and gained a fanbase of more than 10 people, thefore becoming sellouts".
    I enjoy posting in the Boards Music/Alt & Indie forums because most people there are not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Didn't you see that video where he has the placards with the lyrics so deaf people can sing along? You know the one. That song that he did?

Yep and it didn't make a lick of sense. There's no such thing as eleven dollar bills. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"Oh I liked <random band> before they got famous but don't like them now because they realised a semi-successful album and gained a fanbase of more than 10 people, thefore becoming sellouts". .

To be fair though, that does happen a lot. Just take Metallica for example, the latter stuff they've released has been pure garbage.

Advertisement