Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ye girls only seem to go for GAA jocks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It is actually proven that musicians generally have a high IQ and are very intelligent...

The better ones maybe.
    But then i don't wanna sound conceited. Its just you need to be quite intellectual to be able to make good music. Good music that can provoke thought and emotions. Not the everyday love songs, but the more deeper stuff. Think David Bowie, think Pink Floyd, think Radiohead.
    I think you'll agree their music is pretty intellectual...

I've emboldened the important parts. :)

I agree that good musicians can be, and are usually, quite intelligent. But I've seen people admire others just because they carry an acoustic guitar around, even if they know just three chords or whatever.

My issue is with the assumption that just because you're a musician, you're more enlightened or sensitive than the rest of us. And that obviously just can't be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Slightly OT, but muscle and fat cells are two distinct things. Muscle fibers that go through periods of inactivity will lose mass and may even atrophy. Fat cells may increase in size because the body is storing more energy that is not being used during exercise. Hence the myth about fat/muscle.

Much like pumping up a tyre, it takes energy to fully "inflate" them again. But its easier to pump up a tyre than build one from scratch.

I think we have now established that girls are interested in lots of different types of guys: musicians, sportsmen, intellectuals and so on, just as long as they are interesting to them.

And thats then end of that chapter (sweeps scarf around neck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just write songs like this to cheer yourself up:
    http://www.kovideo.net/lyrics/d/Dead-Kennedys/Jockorama.html

Or listen to it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yFJBQr7-w

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It is actually proven that musicians generally have a high IQ and are very intelligent...
    But then i don't wanna sound conceited.

Just a happy coincidence so!

People who use the word 'intellectual' are usually the same people who use 'misunderstood', 'angst', 'conformity' and 'soul' i.e. people that should be avoided.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like lads to be smart and physically fit. That's not asking for too much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

For years I have watched male friends sit around and bitch and moan about how girls show no interest in them, they only go for assholes etc.

Well, question matey, how many girls to expect to meet in your bedroom while you write poetry? Don't get me wrong, I am all about expression oneself intellectually and creatively but I think that certain personality traits that are inherent to this "nice guy syndrome" always pop up.

1) The guy who pulls the chick you fancied in school is always the enemy. If he is a jock you spend the rest of you life hating jocks, if he is a metal head you hate metalers, if he was arty you hate the arty type even going so far as to say that you yourself are not arty, you are "creative".
    2) Nobody understands you and you wish you could find a girl who wanted to get to know you better. Well guess what **** face, stop talking about yourself for two and half seconds and ask that chick how here day was, where she comes from, how she feels the music and lyrics of Captain Beefheart ( because it has to be kind of obscure but also something she might have heard of ) affect her life.
    3) People put to much store in image. Guess what, so do you. You most likely prejudged a coupld of dozen people over the last week are being stupid moronic jocks simply because they were wearing a rugby jersey.

Truly the most bitter ****er in the world is the "ignored nice guy".

It is perfectly fine to be physically able, intellectually able and emotionally balanced. It just takes a bit of time and effort and often involves doing things that you won't get off your hole and do.

In short, women don't only go for GAA head sporty types, you just think they do because it suits your bitter view of the world. Women, much like men, tend to go for a multifaceted and interesting person who can offer them a daily challenge and a bit of excitement that extends beyound your latest sonnet about pain.

For real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why do ye girls only seem to go for GAA jocks

I, for one, would find GAA-branded underwear a complete turn-off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

But then i don't wanna sound conceited. Its just you need to be quite intellectual to be able to make good music.
    And your music is good, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's also been proven that successful musicians are more likely to die from coke abuse. I wouldn't hold it against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You're in the fourth category.

I'm in the fifth; interest in both sport and music but lack of talent in both.

All you angsty teens have nothing on me. I win.
    I await the female fans to come knocking at my door.

Smilies to show no seriousness intended::pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::eek::cool:

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    1) The guy who pulls the chick you fancied in school is always the enemy. If he is a jock you spend the rest of you life hating jocks, if he is a metal head you hate metalers, if he was arty you hate the arty type even going so far as to say that you yourself are not arty, you are "creative".
    2) Nobody understands you and you wish you could find a girl who wanted to get to know you better. Well guess what **** face, stop talking about yourself for two and half seconds and ask that chick how here day was, where she comes from, how she feels the music and lyrics of Captain Beefheart ( because it has to be kind of obscure but also something she might have heard of ) affect her life.
    3) People put to much store in image. Guess what, so do you. You most likely prejudged a coupld of dozen people over the last week are being stupid moronic jocks simply because they were wearing a rugby jersey.

LOL and QFT!

Poor ol "nice guys". They just don't seem to know how to balance their normal personality and clearly natural nice tendancies, with a realistic outlook and attitude towards their relationships. As such they come accross as over complimentary and somewhat needy as well as being a soft touch, in summary, kinda boring!

They then develop "bitter nice guy" syndrome leading them to proclaim "Im not a nice guy" and they try to be pr1cks, which picks up the contrasting "insecure needs to be treated like dirt" type woman. When the natural nice guy comes out (it always will eventually, that's nature) she hits the road looking for another @rsehole.

I never really got how lads feel the need to pander to their gf's every move. I know mates (one in particular) who lived through their gf. While she was on a night out in town, he was at home waiting for a text from her so he could collect her. Not a once off, as Id even collect my gf from town in a circumstance where she was in trouble, had no money etc, but this was EVERY time she went out. He effectively spent the time he wasnt with her, waiting to be with her. Sad really.

Nice guys listen up:

Nice Guys Finish Last. Pr1cks aren't far behind. Just be yourself, don't be a doormat, stand up for what you believe in and treat her like you treat any of your mates, i.e - as an equal (not a superior or an inferior) with utmost respect but don't let her take the p1ss. If she steps out of line, call her on it. Explain very clearly that you won't tolerate it. If she contines to take the p1ss then walk. She's not "the one". That is for teenage girls who watch too many happy ending movies. Find the girl that is compatible with you and treats you with the same respect you treat her. She's not necessarily the one you're with now, so no, you don't have to stay and put up with sh1t because "she's special"! Find your happiness in yourself and share it with her, don't look for happiness solely from her. Follow your own path, pursue some hobbies and interest outside of your time with her. Then you will be happy!

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Why do ye girls only seem to go for GAA jocks?

WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONTWE DONT WE DONTWE DONT WE DONT

HATE THE CARRY ON OF THE LOCAL GAAAAAA FOOLS !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONT WE DONTWE DONT WE DONTWE DONT WE DONT

So I take it that you don't agree with the OP's central premise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Dragan wrote: »
    For years I have watched male friends sit around and bitch and moan about how girls show no interest in them, they only go for assholes etc.

Well, question matey, how many girls to expect to meet in your bedroom while you write poetry? Don't get me wrong, I am all about expression oneself intellectually and creatively but I think that certain personality traits that are inherent to this "nice guy syndrome" always pop up.

It is perfectly fine to be physically able, intellectually able and emotionally balanced. It just takes a bit of time and effort and often involves doing things that you won't get off your hole and do.

In short, women don't only go for GAA head sporty types, you just think they do because it suits your bitter view of the world. Women, much like men, tend to go for a multifaceted and interesting person who can offer them a daily challenge and a bit of excitement that extends beyound your latest sonnet about pain.

For real.
    LOL and QFT!

Poor ol "nice guys". They just don't seem to know how to balance their normal personality and clearly natural nice tendancies, with a realistic outlook and attitude towards their relationships. As such they come accross as over complimentary and somewhat needy as well as being a soft touch, in summary, kinda boring!

They then develop "bitter nice guy" syndrome leading them to proclaim "Im not a nice guy" and they try to be pr1cks, which picks up the contrasting "insecure needs to be treated like dirt" type woman. When the natural nice guy comes out (it always will eventually, that's nature) she hits the road looking for another @rsehole.

I never really got how lads feel the need to pander to their gf's every move. I know mates (one in particular) who lived through their gf. While she was on a night out in town, he was at home waiting for a text from her so he could collect her. Not a once off, as Id even collect my gf from town in a circumstance where she was in trouble, had no money etc, but this was EVERY time she went out. He effectively spent the time he wasnt with her, waiting to be with her. Sad really.

/rant.

Exactly what i wanted to say but couldn't be arsed to actually type out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

stovelid wrote: »
    So I take it that you don't agree with the OP's central premise?

aaah... only slightly dis-agree... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

In my experience the girls that go for GAA types aren't my type anyway. Even if they are pretty, their personalities don't gel well with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

A very common thing i've noticed in my college.
    All girls only seem to go for the GAA jocks and don't quite give much of a chance to the other more intellectual guys.
    Why is this so?

Or maybe to put it another why do ye seem to prefer a not that intellectual GAA playing jock over a more intellectual musician or something...? Ya know, someone who can write and sing to you songs about love, lust, philosophy and hate...

It's not that they don't want to get with poets or musicians, it's that they don't want to get with you. It is a personal thing, so you probably should take it personally. frankly, I'm not surprised, you go around proclaiming your intelligence and fragility online ffs, you must be great fun to go on a date with.

I guarantee if Bruce Springsteen or Conor Oberst came to your class, serenaded the girls with one of his love songs, they'd realise they like musicians fairly fast. Clearly you either aren't as good as you think you are, or you haven't shown the girls you're as good as you think you are.

Blaming girls for finding athletes attractive is the same as berating men for fancying models, utterly pointless. You have to sell yourself better or (and sadly more likely considering your posts) lower your standards.

I know that probably comes across as harsh, maybe even mean-spirited, but surely it's time someone told you.

It's not that they don't want to get with poets or musicians, it's that they don't want to get with you. It is a personal thing, so you probably should take it personally. frankly, I'm not surprised, you go around proclaiming your intelligence and fragility online ffs, you must be great fun to go on a date with.

I guarantee if Bruce Springsteen or Conor Oberst came to your class, serenaded the girls with one of his love songs, they'd realise they like musicians fairly fast. Clearly you either aren't as good as you think you are, or you haven't shown the girls you're as good as you think you are.

Blaming girls for finding athletes attractive is the same as berating men for fancying models, utterly pointless. You have to sell yourself better or (and sadly more likely considering your posts) lower your standards.

I know that probably comes across as harsh, maybe even mean-spirited, but surely it's time someone told you.

I'd say harsh but fair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

maybe you should examine which wimmin you're going after as. people like people who they can relate to. maybe they don't like poetry maybe they like athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Not knowing any Gah lads, but I'm assuming they're going to be fit and athletic. What;s unattractive about that?

Maybe they;re not attractive to self-obsessed singer-songwriter types who want someone to tell them they're wonderful and talented etc.

Plenty of girls are athletic and have hot bodies, and lots of lads find that attractive.

Different strokes for different folks. ^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Incredibly, it seems the Onion has read this thread and prepared an explanatory video.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/attractive_girls_union_refuses_to

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Granted the little white shorts can be rather yum but in fairness it could be Brad Pitt look-a-like playing for Co. Tipp and if he's a twat he's a twat. Same applies for guys I presume. You have to like someone I think to really fancy them in any extended way.

Incredibly, it seems the Onion has read this thread and prepared an explanatory video.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/attractive_girls_union_refuses_to

I wish it was that easy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Eh what? Avid player here who is studying an honours degree in Psychology, got marks back and i am top of the class in one module and in the top 10 in another. Sure the other 91 people in the class are probably gaa heads and our collective low intellects makes me look really really really really............ smart :D

GAAman wrote: »
    Eh what? Avid player here who is studying an honours degree in Psychology, got marks back and i am top of the class in one module and in the top 10 in another. Sure the other 91 people in the class are probably gaa heads and our collective low intellects makes me look really really really really............ smart :D

Then yours is the Earth, and everything in it. You should buy an acoustic guitar. No one shall resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

A very common thing i've noticed in my college.
    All girls only seem to go for the GAA jocks and don't quite give much of a chance to the other more intellectual guys.
    Why is this so?

Or maybe to put it another why do ye seem to prefer a not that intellectual GAA playing jock over a more intellectual musician or something...? Ya know, someone who can write and sing to you songs about love, lust, philosophy and hate...

are you in GMIT by any chance? im convinced GMIT is over run with gah heads! (im in GMIT by the way! :))
    i honestly wouldnt go after gah heads myself, but im not just being gah specific, im not that big into sporty heads.. then again i wouldnt be big into guys who like poetry either... thats jst my opinion tho..

i like my man to play with guns and games!! :D ...and he does! alls well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Galvasean wrote: »
    Then yours is the Earth, and everything in it. You should buy an acoustic guitar. No one shall resist!

Nah man gonna get a load of rasher sambos, there will be no resistance then MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Can you take the opposite reasoning to this i.e. why would you want to get with a girl who chooses a partner based on whether or not they play on the GAA team.

On the other side of things - most of the guys playing GAA in college tend to be attractive, fit and smart so why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

I know as a fact that just becuase you play GAA doesn't mean you can't write deadly poetry or be an artsy type.
    I tend to go for a "get two for one" combo.
    I want a man who is also talented musically, artistically and spiritually.
    and I love a hot body on a man. So sue me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

:pac:
    I know as a fact that just becuase you play GAA doesn't mean you can't write deadly poetry or be an artsy type.
    I tend to go for a "get two for one" combo.
    I want a man who is also talented musically, artistically and spiritually.
    and I love a hot body on a man. So sue me.

But remember, in the minds of the bitter these things can't exist. You cannot be good looking, smart, funny, caring, creative etc all in the one go.

You need a flaw, or a weakness so these people feel better.:pac:

Advertisement