Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Be Too Pretty?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

...Just a Thought..Is there such a thing as being too pretty??
    Ive a friend and she has model looks (shes been told my loads of people) great personality but when we go out the weekends or student night guys just dont come on to her...

Maybe shes too pretty so the guys think they dont have a chance so they dnt bother??
    What do u think? :O

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Yeah, I reckon you can be too pretty...

Amy Huberman for example - she's unbearably gorgeous ffs! I reckon George Clooney would be nervous approaching her :p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

milod wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon you can be too pretty...

Amy Huberman for example - she's unbearably gorgeous ffs! I reckon George Clooney would be nervous approaching her :p

I agree a girl can be too pretty that sometimes guys might not approach her unless she sends some big signals!

And Amy Huberman is not unbearably gorgeous...... quite average imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

...Just a Thought..Is there such a thing as being too pretty??

I definitely think there's such a thing as being intimidatingly attractive, yes... but imho it's a bit of a stupid thing to be moaning about. She surely has her pick of guys, she just needs to approach THEM instead of the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes. I would hate it personally. (I mean...I do hate it :P)
    Most men would be too afraid to approach you and women hate you. I would imagine the only men that try to crack on to you are the arrogant ones that can turn around to their friends and say 'yeah I tapped that'

Then you would have to put up with the constant bitchy snipey comments from other women.

The only plus side you can wear great clothes and you might get to hang out with celebs and get free champagne and coke. That might not be so good for some though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Insecurity in the blokes. Simple as that. She may be insecure too. Actually I'd put money on it. She knows shes pretty, but worries is that all she is. I have found beautiful women are more insecure than plain or average women. Really gorgeous women, the 1 in a 1000, that goes up. They know that's what they're being judged on.

IMHO an average woman has it easier, in that there is less stress over that and her as a person has a chance to shine through. Often the very beautiful woman, doesn't develop that inner thing. Basically because she doesn't need to to get attention(and not just from men). From a guys point of view, they're actually easier to approach and ask out. Sometimes much easier. It's the guys insecurity that stops them.

Hence your mate. The only guys that will go for them are the false knobends or the guys who are obviously just looking for a social ego boost. The ordinary "nice guy" generally wont as he's afraid of her, afraid he's not enough for her and afraid she may get a "better offer".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say Wibbs has it mostly right there. If someone really is stunningly gorgeous, then very few blokes would have enough self-confidence to believe that she's not going to scoff and tell them to go away.

A lot of blokes you'll find will say, "Yeah I bet she's stuck up", but in reality they're covering themselves - they don't want to say, "I think she's way out of my league". It's interesting to note that anyone I've known who's gone out with someone stunning, managed to do it purely by being the one who stood out and actually went up to talk to her.

So I would imagine that extremely attractive women would have to do some legwork themselves. They still have the pick of the men, but they'll need to start the conversation. And the guys will love that. The ego trip from being chatted up by a serious hottie....(I've been on one for 9 years :pac: )

One other thing that I've also noted is that women can sometimes overestimate the attractiveness of other women, particularly their friends. I've heard many women say that some other woman is stunning, or like a model, and then been decidedly underwhelmed and not even attracted when I meet them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    One other thing that I've also noted is that women can sometimes overestimate the attractiveness of other women, particularly their friends. I've heard many women say that some other woman is stunning, or like a model, and then been decidedly underwhelmed and not even attracted when I meet them.
    Very true. Been there. The "well she's tall blond and skinny so therefore she's gorgeous" vibe. A slightly skewed idea of what turns men on or men find gorgeous. It must be said and strange though it may seem, some very pretty women are actually not sexy. I knew one woman years back. Ex model in britain. She stood out like an sore thumb in photos with lesser mortals:). In the flesh she was still striking, but not attractive physically. Nice person too. Weird. Not just me thought this either. Also it could be a way to make some women feel better. They know the "pretty one" in the group is not stunning. They figure shes ok, but not that much ahead of them, so that makes them feel better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's no such thing as too pretty, just guys with not enough balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Heres a general rule of thumb to know whether a woman is pretty or not:

Woman A: 'I am so hot, yeah!'

Women: 'OMG, you SO are! You go girlfriennn...'

Then...

Woman B: 'I am so hot right now'

Women: 'OMG, like, no? like who does she think she is? she's not that hot...yeah, look at her shoes they are sooo last season etc'.

Heh. Which one do you think there is good looking and which one is average?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If you travel a bit, you'll discover that a real stunner in the West, may not be considered as pretty in Asia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Boys might be dumb, but not totally dumb. Regardless of the tendancy to go for looks - we know that one day girls get old. And when they get old, we'll need to be entertained by conversations etc. Even in this increasingly looks-obsessed world, never underestimate the importance of personality. If a supermodel stunner has no 'craic' about her, it's not long before we are turning around to see who else is in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hence your mate. The only guys that will go for them are the false knobends or the guys who are obviously just looking for a social ego boost. The ordinary "nice guy" generally wont as he's afraid of her, afraid he's not enough for her and afraid she may get a "better offer".

I agree with Wibbs. Stunning girls don't tend to make a flirty look or gesture to a guy to signal that he should go chat. Especially when it comes to the average joe's who don't even think about chatting her up cause they feel she's out of their league.
    It's a bad generalisation but most of the time I would feel that a really hot girl would be stuck up about herself and would have a bad attitude if you went up to chat to her. Maybe it's ingrained from all those teenage movies and tv shows and from a few experiences meeting people like that but it's annoying to think that there are many missed opportunities out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You know you've got a stunner for sure and it's not just you when half the guys at a beers try to chat her up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

seamus wrote: »
    "I think she's way out of my league".

Ahhhh I hate this phrase!Who came up with these 'leagues' and how do you know which one your in?!! There is no such thing as 'leagues' when it comes to love :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If love is blind, how will you know she is "too pretty?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

nobrainer......

No. you can pretty enough to intimadate small minded men who count looks as important... Its interesting tho as many people whove allready pointed out the fact that pretty girl's have issue's insecuritys but you gotta remember that these really pretty girl's are looked at as objects of desire and lust and this is everyday life its bound to play with your head just a little bit....

personally i have frozen solid when ive been in contact with a pretty girl, before... but i was insecure...

So no it just takes a man to talk to them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

You know you've got a stunner for sure and it's not just you when half the guys at a beers try to chat her up :pac:
    you leave mizzlolly out of this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

A girl can never be too pretty. Seriously don't get the notion some lads get in their heads about them, they're like every single other girl. The only thing bad thing I notice is that they tend to get chatted up by a higher percentage of idiots than your "average" girl.

The only thing bad thing I notice is that they tend to get chatted up by a higher percentage of idiots than your "average" girl.

Which I think subconsciously makes it intimidating because you don't want to be seen as another one of those idiots, you've got to raise the bar and prove yourself & hopefully not mess up. Pressure!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Which I think subconsciously makes it intimidating because you don't want to be seen as another one of those idiots, you've got to raise the bar and prove yourself & hopefully not mess up. Pressure!!:eek:

Pressure? where's the pressure coming from?

your doing something nautral, ok she attractive but you can mess up equally with a not so attractive lady, its part and parcell of life, if you put your self into that frame of mind you arnt going to go any where.

Youle tence up and start getting vigity seem nervous and not very confident, I understand that this is not easy but then again if you say im nervous except it, welcome the emotion in, it soon leave's insted of fighting it which makes it worse.....

The only pressure is that some time's people feel lonely which can lead to
    needy, edgey uncomfortable under preassure to meet someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

funny quote I heard before:
    "No matter how beautiful she is some guy is fed up of taking sh*t from her"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Love is blind? o.0
    Most people who are out on the pull in a pub aren't out lookin for love...

I know plenty of gorgeous women, models some of them. One girl in particular i went to school with, gorgeous, smart and was a nice girl to boot. Drunk guys would just come up, slurr a few words then try grab her ass. Needless to say they were met with a few slaps from her :pac:

If ya have the basic communication skills down, some confidence and are interesting, no reason why a stunner wouldn't go for you. Ok a lot more variables come into the equation but there's the bare bones. Getting hammered and slurring at a girl is not gonna get you anything bar a stingy nose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Normster

Someone who appears perfect to you, may not be perfect to someone else.

I'd say the insecure guys are just afraid that even if they got with her, she would leave for someone else, someone less pretty wouldn't have as many opportunities to leave.

As for the girl, she probably doesn't even know she is that pretty (everyone has insecurities) and doesn't understand why all her friends get more attention than she does, reinforcing her idea that she isn't all that. Which stops her from having the confidance to give strong signals to guys she likes.

Pressure? where's the pressure coming from?

I'm just talking about the pressure of how you approach someone once you see someone you'd like to get chatting to. One thinks 'How do I break the ice?' (Not everyone has the gift of the gab), plus add to this she would most likely be surrounded by some friends. Don't say that getting into that circle to chat up one girl isn't a wee bit intimidating.

Of course now we all have smirting to get over these little things a lot of the time. Asking for a light is always a great ice breaker.

Normster wrote: »
    I'd say the insecure guys are just afraid that even if they got with her, she would leave for someone else, someone less pretty wouldn't have as many opportunities to leave.

I dunno, at the weekend a friend of mine was kissing someone who was no model, she was just alright, and as they were leaving the pub she stopped by to some guy she knew and started kissing him. Sometimes you just don't know what way people will go.

I'm just talking about the pressure of how you approach someone once you see someone you'd like to get chatting to. One thinks 'How do I break the ice?' (Not everyone has the gift of the gab), plus add to this she would most likely be surrounded by some friends. Don't say that getting into that circle to chat up one girl isn't a wee bit intimidating.
    Yep, but its a test in many ways. Why do you think more men do the pursuing and many less women do? Its a test to see if you have the confidence and the courage to come over to them. A man who will(in a non sleezy way), signals to her that he is confident, is socially powerful and knows what he likes and goes for what he wants. Better bet for the woman to have a man like that all things being equal. The 100,000 year old brain still runs strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

She might look to empty as in she is so beautiful that guys dont see anything in her eyes, she might look like her looks are all she has to offer?

Im so happy Im dog ugly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

WindSock wrote: »
    Yes. I would hate it personally. (I mean...I do hate it :P)
    Most men would be too afraid to approach you and women hate you. I would imagine the only men that try to crack on to you are the arrogant ones that can turn around to their friends and say 'yeah I tapped that'

Then you would have to put up with the constant bitchy snipey comments from other women.

The only plus side you can wear great clothes and you might get to hang out with celebs and get free champagne and coke. That might not be so good for some though...

+1 to this entire post, especially the part about other women.
    Also, there's this dynamic of, when a man does have the balls to talk to you and gets to know you, he soon discovers that you're not the goddess he's made you out to be in his mind. Then you're no longer the girl who's "too pretty," you're just a disappointment.

Advertisement