Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Riots?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

I was once stopped for going through a light as it was turning red. Maybe five years ago.

And was it because of this experience that you feel this way about the gardai? if so then thats fine.

If not then what makes you think that you wouldnt be dealt with correctly or treated fairly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

No, in that instance I had clearly broken the law. The guard's manner left a lot to be desired though.

My point is that there is crime everywhere yet nothing is ever done. I had cars broken into in private car parks where the Gardai didn't want to look at the cctv. Houses are being burgled, drugs openly sold. The authorities don't seem to care.

Once you have been the victim of crime in Ireland, particularly low level crime, all you can do is dust yourself down, get up and start again. There is no point in reporting it to the Gardai. They may not even come out to take a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Pure flaming on Hagars behalf i believe... . A person earlier made the same type of comments and he was threatened with a ban..
    Sorry but it's a gunuinely held opinion. Am I supposed to feel threatened by a ban? Thanks, that has made my point more eloquently than I ever could have. I'm not flaming, I don't do that. Why would I risk a site ban after 6.5 years and 11.5k posts? Not everyone who disagrees is a troublemaker. And yes I do believe the public "own" the Gardaí, don't you? Nobody believes that there are only "a couple of bad eggs" as you put it, in the Gardaí. Many people believe that the decent Gardaí won't rat out the rogues out of a misguided sense of loyalty. I don't even think the Gardaí posting here believe the "couple of bad eggs" scanario but I am 100% certain that none of them will admit to anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hagar wrote: »
    Who told you most people trust the Gardaí, seriously, who told you that?.

Here is a link to a public perception survey that was done by the guards in 2004 which shows an 85% approval rating. www.garda.ie/pub/pas2004.doc
    I have no reason to trust them and I am an ordinary decent person yet I know if I cross one my life will be hell. To a lot of people Gardaí = landords = landlords above the law ;).
    Who really trusts the Ombudsman? If you win in a case against the Gardaí then your card is marked, if you lose your card is marked big time.

Your thinking makes no sense at all. You have no reason to trust them and therefore are have no reason not to trust us either. I think you are listening to too many people who self claimed experts in policing.

The rest of your comments are pure and utter tripe of the highest order and bordering on flaming to boot.
    Boston wrote: »
    A lot of people don't trust the Gardai.
    I don't trust the Gardai and I'm a 32 year old, junior management in the bank, married homeowner who has never been in trouble. I don't trust that if I am a victim that it would be correctly dealt with and I don't trust that if I fell foul of a Garda that I'd be treated fairly.
    I was once stopped for going through a light as it was turning red. Maybe five years ago. I'm sure I have done things since that I might be arrested for like getting caught short while drunk and taking a pee up an alley or littering. I have made a complaint to the Gardai before where nothing was done about it and witnessed friends making complaints to the most disinterested Gardai you could imagine.

I have been disrespected and shown disdain by people from all walks of life whether they work in the guards, banking, retail etc. Doesn't mean I make a generalisation and assume that they are all useless.

Sorry but it's a gunuinely held opinion. Am I supposed to feel threatened by a ban? Thanks, that has made my point more eloquently than I ever could have. I'm not flaming, I don't do that. Why would I risk a site ban after 6.5 years and 11.5k posts? Not everyone who disagrees is a troublemaker. And yes I do believe the public "own" the Gardaí, don't you? Nobody believes that there are only "a couple of bad eggs" as you put it, in the Gardaí. Many people believe that the decent Gardaí won't rat out the rogues out of a misguided sense of loyalty. I don't even think the Gardaí posting here believe the "couple of bad eggs" scanario but I am 100% certain that none of them will admit to anything more.

oh come on Hagar show me a profession that doesn't have some bad apples in it.

You cannot be saying that we are all bad are ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

goes from a thread about thugs rioting in dublin to mods flaming and most posters garda bashing.how did that happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

TheNog wrote: »
    Here is a link to a public perception survey that was done by the guards in 2004 which shows an 85% approval rating. www.garda.ie/pub/pas2004.doc

Your thinking makes no sense at all. You have no reason to trust them and therefore are have no reason not to trust us either. I think you are listening to too many people who self claimed experts in policing.

The rest of your comments are pure and utter tripe of the highest order and bordering on flaming to boot.

I have been disrespected and shown disdain by people from all walks of life whether they work in the guards, banking, retail etc. Doesn't mean I make a generalisation and assume that they are all useless.

Of people I have spoken to, the commonly held opinion is that you should never defend yourself to a Garda whether right or wrong. Just make them feel respected, apologise profusely and keep your head down.

Hagar talks of the majority of Gardai not taking the rogue members to task. I think that the reasons why people don't trust the Gardai, i.e. laziness, lack of response and being on a power trip, are well known and endorsed by Garda management.

Of people I have spoken to, the commonly held opinion is that you should never defend yourself to a Garda whether right or wrong. Just make them feel respected, apologise profusely and keep your head down.

Hagar talks of the majority of Gardai not taking the rogue members to task. I think that the reasons why people don't trust the Gardai, i.e. laziness, lack of response and being on a power trip, are well known and endorsed by Garda management.

Right point taken. If anyone feels this conversation should continue then will have to start a new thread.

Back on topic now. Its only fair on the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Well said The Nog, Very sad to hear of the antics of last night, was shocked to hear of the female Garda with a fractured Eye socket in the south east! Another member off the streets for a period of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Now that we're all back on track thanks to the nog.. i hope the members that were injured in the thugs last nights antics will be ok and make a full recovery... too many members being assaulted lately around the country..... oc spray can't come soon enough... i personally think (and this has been recommended by AGSI/GRA) that divisions around the country should have public order units working on weekend nights and on nights when trouble is expected, from my own experience as soon as the unit deploy out of the vans the trouble makers usually take a step back and most times will back off or will be pushed back by pub ord unit when they deploy. any members think that this should happen in their relevant areas or is this being adopted by some districts/divisions already????

• Advertisement

Couldn't tell ye if the public order unit was deployed in my division but as I said already we had 6 cars and one van out in the district. Very quite night as a result. Actually every weekend we should have the same amount of people working!!!!!!

I absolutely agree nog, its great to know that when s**t hits the fan theres mobiles near by to help quickly. I believe thats its better to saturate the place than have members chasing their tails all tour trying to clear calls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As a step down from fully kitted public order units, a lot of English forces send out a vanload of normal coppers at weekends, generally called the public order van - usually staffed by an extended late shift so the divisional cars are still staffed by nights. It's a very flexible resource,and able to handle nearly anything short of a full riot. It also keeps scarce OSU units from getting tied up.

Anything like that done here?

Very rarely..... most weekends there a van out in some districts with a couple members in it, they may have shields or helmets in it... but nothing like the english do. No dedicated shift like that over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

civdef wrote: »
    ....generally called the public order van...

Aka 'The rowdy bus'.....referring to its role, not its occupants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

metman wrote: »
    ..referring to its role, not its occupants :D

Drop into Flannerys some night and you'll say different:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

civdef wrote: »
    As a step down from fully kitted public order units, a lot of English forces send out a vanload of normal coppers at weekends, generally called the public order van - usually staffed by an extended late shift so the divisional cars are still staffed by nights. It's a very flexible resource,and able to handle nearly anything short of a full riot. It also keeps scarce OSU units from getting tied up.

Anything like that done here?

Yes buts its a divisional decision and the purse strings are tight you know.
    Paulzx wrote: »
    Drop into Flannerys some night and you'll say different:)

NO self respocting mule would go in there, its full of firemen!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 benn333

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic. Couldn't find a good thread to share this in.

Myself and a couple mates strapped on our cameras and ventured into Corduff in Blanchardstown on the 31st. Maybe not the best idea, but journalistic curiosity won out. We had bangers thrown at us and some guy pulled up looking to buy cocaine off my flatmate. I threw together the following video, if anyone's interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It doesnt seem like to much hastle. Stick a couple of lads from the station into the van on Friday and Saturday nights and drive by all the pubs.

Or are the vans to small to accomadate 6-7 Gardai.

(Not suggesting loading several gardai inta the cage and let them walk home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

donvito99 wrote: »

It doesnt seem like to much hastle. Stick a couple of lads from the station into the van on Friday and Saturday nights and drive by all the pubs.

Or are the vans to small to accomadate 6-7 Gardai.

(Not suggesting loading several gardai inta the cage and let them walk home)

Its done on overtime. If you had 7 Gardai that were actually rostered to work in one van that would be it for the division which would mean they spent their time at calls instead of being able to respond to public order incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mi3txi

-snip-

Advertisement