Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikini Wax Etiquette

Options
  • 23-08-2008 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hope this doesn't gross anyone out, its a genuine query! I've just booked a last minute hol and needed an emergency bikini wax. The appointment is for Monday and I'm a bit concerned cos its getting really close to my period. The appointment is with one of those places that charge you if you dont give a full days notice. Sooo, if I happen to get it on Monday is there any way I can go ahead with the wax if I use a tampon?? Does anyone ever do that? To be honest, even if people say they do, Im not sure Id be able to but just wondering???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

no worries all is gonna be ok...just do not panic! I waxed during my period and no problemo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

JennyBee wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't gross anyone out, its a genuine query! I've just booked a last minute hol and needed an emergency bikini wax. The appointment is for Monday and I'm a bit concerned cos its getting really close to my period. The appointment is with one of those places that charge you if you dont give a full days notice. Sooo, if I happen to get it on Monday is there any way I can go ahead with the wax if I use a tampon?? Does anyone ever do that? To be honest, even if people say they do, Im not sure Id be able to but just wondering???

Personally, i wouldn't, as it would hurt a lot at that time of the month as pain threshold is lower, and i think its disrespectful to the therapist, but then i have no idea how they wax fannys all day anyway.

Your best option would probably be one of those mooncups as theres no thread or whatever and they're very discreet to use.

I do know people have waxes 'down there' during their period tho.

Hopefully it'll arrive monday evening AFTER your wax!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just tuck the string in. That's what I would do, if I had a fanny!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

The only problem with it is that it does hurt a good bit more....but if you have a high pain threshold it really doesn't matter, just tuck the string up out of the way and no-ones the wiser.

Or use a mooncup?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I personally wouldnt be too comfortable with that, not very nice for the therapist!

Maybe the mooncup? No experience of it, so cant really comment.

How will they charge you, surely you didnt give them a credit card number at the time of booking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ring them and ask them would they do it while on a period.

Failing that get a tube of veet and do it yourself :)

Ok just read the post again and saw that you dont have time to cancel. Its not your problem if they dont open on sundays. Leave a message on their voicemail now and make sure you say its saturday at 10pm sorry about this but cant make it blah blah blah.

Stuff comes up in life and at weekends they shoudl allow for that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

JennyBee wrote: »

If you're going for a standard bikini wax you can keep your knickers on, or a pair of those paper ones they give out. If you're going for a brazilian or something else I wouldn't - or at least take a nurofen or something beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

check out www.mooncup.co.uk you learn something new here every day. ;)

Regarding the op issue, How can they charge you, do they have your credit card details? I'm sure beauticians see stuff that should never be seen over the course of their work, so it probably wouldnt bother them in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

@esel
    so bloody funny :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

@esel
    so bloody funny :-)

:rolleyes: Pun intended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jells bells

LadyE wrote: »
    How will they charge you, surely you didnt give them a credit card number at the time of booking?

Both Urban Wax & Brazilia require a credit card on file to secure your booking, and will charge at least half of the treatment cost if you're a no-show or cancel too late, so not so unusual.

OP: phone and ask their protocol. I think the topic is covered in the FAQ area of the Urban Wax website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Ok just read the post again and saw that you dont have time to cancel. Its not your problem if they dont open on sundays. Leave a message on their voicemail now and make sure you say its saturday at 10pm sorry about this but cant make it blah blah blah.

Stuff comes up in life and at weekends they shoudl allow for that really.
    It's standard practice in these places that you need to give a working day's notice, not just a day's notice. If they ain't open on Sunday, then you should be calling them Sat morning to cancel the appointment.

I personally would never get a bikini wax at that time of the month, but up to you I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

eewwwwee no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

I was in the same situation as you last month, I simply mentioned it to the beautician that morning when I turned up and that was that... obviously I only went for a standard bikini wax and not the full monty... and to be honest she did say it may hurt more than usual but I felt no difference.. I don't think there's any need for you to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JennyBee

Well luckily enough it didn't arrive today so I'm nice and hairfree now! Thanks for the replies, I'd never even heard of that mooncup thingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I really don't see why some people are so disgusted at the idea of waxing when they have their period. If you're using a tampon or mooncup and are only getting a bikini wax, you're wearing knickers so very little is on display. It is basic good manners to make sure you've showered, used fresh protection and knickers just before you get the wax done so there will be no smell, gross strings hanging out to be seen etc.
    Re: the pain issue, take two neurofen and if you've got a good waxer it will all be over and done with in a few minutes.

kizzyr wrote: »
    I really don't see why some people are so disgusted at the idea of waxing when they have their period. If you're using a tampon or mooncup and are only getting a bikini wax, you're wearing knickers so very little is on display. It is basic good manners to make sure you've showered, used fresh protection and knickers just before you get the wax done so there will be no smell, gross strings hanging out to be seen etc.
    Re: the pain issue, take two neurofen and if you've got a good waxer it will all be over and done with in a few minutes.

I think people were refering to more than a bikini wax to be honest.

I could only see a mooncup working for a brazilian or hollywood.

A friend of mine is a beautician and has had clients presenting themsleves for these kind of waxes during their period; no tampon or mooncup:eek:

I have to say I think thats pretty disrespectful to the therapist.

I think people were refering to more than a bikini wax to be honest.

I could only see a mooncup working for a brazilian or hollywood.

A friend of mine is a beautician and has had clients presenting themsleves for these kind of waxes during their period; no tampon or mooncup:eek:

I have to say I think thats pretty disrespectful to the therapist

It is disgusting! Why on earth would you think it ok to present your bits to someone when you've got your period:confused::eek: I presume your friend refuses to do those waxes when people show up during their period with no protection?

It is disgusting! Why on earth would you think it ok to present your bits to someone when you've got your period:confused::eek: I presume your friend refuses to do those waxes when people show up during their period with no protection?

Nope, just gives them a tub of baby wipes and tells them to knock themselves out.

Makes it marginally more bearable.....marginally:rolleyes:

If i was her I wouldn't do it, but she cant very well refuse on those grounds.

I actually think its quite rude really, and also quite disgusting.

• Advertisement

Nope, just gives them a tub of baby wipes and tells them to knock themselves out.

Makes it marginally more bearable.....marginally:rolleyes:

If i was her I wouldn't do it, but she cant very well refuse on those grounds.

I actually think its quite rude really, and also quite disgusting.

If you can't refuse on grounds of the crimson tide being in full force what on earth are you allowed to refuse for?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

You absolutely can refuse to full wax during a period unless something like a mooncup is being used. There is an issue with tampons because of the strings...imagine having your tampon ripped out if it caught on the wax. Not nice for either you or the therapist. During training we are taught that we can refuse..however, the salon you are working at may have a different ethic but I would query working somewhere like this.

As a therapist you also have to be careful of cross contamination.

Obviously any type of waxing that isn't going near that area (bikini etc) can be done and I would tuck in the string just for convenience sake really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I have to say I think thats pretty disrespectful to the therapist.

That is outrageous and they should be banned from said salon for presenting themselves like that!!

Dos anyone else not think that hair removal cream is a less embarrassing/painless/cheaper/easier way to get around the hairy problem at any given time of the month?? :confused:

That is outrageous and they should be banned from said salon for presenting themselves like that!!

Dos anyone else not think that hair removal cream is a less embarrassing/painless/cheaper/easier way to get around the hairy problem at any given time of the month?? :confused:

Not if you're allergic to the hair removal cream:(

No; Once you wax you never go back!!

Waxing there doesn't actually hurt so much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

No, I find that with anything other than waxing the re-growth is massively uncomfortable for the next few days. The pain from the waxing itself only lasts a few minutes. And sorry if tmi, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using hair removal cream on my labia or butt-crack.

The first time I ever got a brazilian I was on co-codamol for a back problem and not only was the pain reduced but I was nicely mellow through-out. So now I take a couple of Syndol twenty minutes before my appointment, not quite as effective as the prescribed stuff but effective nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think it's very disrespectful to the therapist! Book a time that's not near your due date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 coco83

neurofen thins the blood and this can cause more pain when getting waxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

youcould always wax at home if its that time of the month? I used wax strips from boots and did a basic bikini wax with it no bother. it didnt really hurt either

Im stunned that some manky girls would turn up without a tampon or moon cup good god thats sick!

Advertisement