Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you hand back a 50 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lazer Smart

I found a 50 on the pub floor last night. I waited about 2 hours to see if anyone was looking around the floor for it then i bought a round for my table. The round ended up costing 60 - finding money is overrated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If the cash is just lying there with no people around who may have dropped it i'll pocket it. If I see someone drop it i'll definately hand it back.

Personal items that cant be traced such as jewelry the shop nearest where I found it will be notified and then the item taken to the police station.

Wallets/Mobile Phones etc I will go to a lot of effort to track down the owner as I know how much of a bitch it is to loose one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I saw a fiver on the street a while ago and left it. Even though it was abandoned on the street, I felt bad picking it up because it wasn't my money. Then I saw the person a little ways behind me pocket it and I felt sort of silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thelurch wrote: »
    Considering a 50 euro note buys you diddley these days

:eek:

It would buy me food for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

If i found a briefcase full of money, i would keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The way I see it, if the vaue of the money found is less than it would cost me to actually find the owner, then hold onto it.

So if I found €50, then the time and cost involved in going to the Garda station would be greater than €50 so I wouldn't bother.

I'd like to think I would go to the Gardai for €100, but I can imagine myself picking it up and thinking "jackpot". Any more than that I'd definitely report it.

My logic being that if I lost €50 (and probably €100) on the street, I'd be in a bad mood for the rest of the day, but the cost involved in reporting my loss would just compound my losses, so I wouldn't bother.

I don't recall finding much money on the street. I think I found £20 once, can't be sure. I do remember finding a black sack full of shredded fake £20 notes on the side of the road though.

If I found a briefcase full of money, I'd report it, but probably take a small finder's fee for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Regardless of where I find it, it just wouldn't feel right to take it.

I'd hand it in, I'd rather the person who owned it waste it on drink than the next person to walk by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

On the flipside here, if any of you lost a 50 on a night out how many of you would honestly report that you lost money?

I know I wouldn't, I'd cut my losses and live with it.

Same as I'd keep money I found. You win some you loose some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

If I found a 50 in a pub I would definately hand it in... in exchange for alcohol and bacon fries of course.

fitz0 wrote: »
    If I found a 50 in a pub I would definately hand it in... in exchange for alcohol and bacon fries of course.
    There better be cheese on those fries, otherwhise you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Of course. What do you take me for? Cheese is a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭baldbear

I found a tenner in Barcelona. Went over, did the old stand on the lost note routine, then this little lad about 4 came running out of his parents car and said thats my money.(it was in his hole) So i slapped him and ran off. No i didn't.... i let him take it the little fecker. He learned me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On the flipside here, if any of you lost a 50 on a night out how many of you would honestly report that you lost money?

I know I wouldn't, I'd cut my losses and live with it.

Same as I'd keep money I found. You win some you loose some.

i think i might pop into the local garda station and report that i lost €50 at random points around the city and see if i get any responses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I'd be giving it to the barman alright

fitz0 wrote: »
    Of course. What do you take me for? Cheese is a given.
    Phew, had me worried there for a second :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

When I was a schoolboy I found a £5 note on the ground and handed it in to the school's lost and found. It got me some serious abuse from the other lads at the time!

I got called to the headmistress' office about a month later though (usually only happened if you were gonna get expelled/suspended) where I was told that I was an exceptionally honest young man, that I was going to get a letter sent to my parents saying what a good boy I was, and that I was getting to keep the fiver as it hadn't been claimed. Score! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It has never occurred to me to go to the Guards when I have lost money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Screw ethics. Times are tight - finders keepers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sueme wrote: »
    It has never occurred to me to go to the Guards when I have lost money...
    True dat. If it's €50 or less I just write it off and get on with my life... Even if it's more, I don't think I'd bother going to the Garda station.

No, I'm not rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

baldbear wrote: »
    I found a tenner in Barcelona. Went over, did the old stand on the lost note routine, then this little lad about 4 came running out of his parents car and said thats my money.(it was in his hole) So i slapped him and ran off. No i didn't.... i let him take it the little fecker. He learned me.:)
    Isnt if funny the way people react,stand over the money and they make it more obvious.Better off just going over and picking it up and walk away.Ive found plenty of money in my time and kept it,but if i seen someone dropping it or found a wallet i would hand it back.After all i would like to think if i dropped my purse someone would hand it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arion Online

Keep it and enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I'd pocket it, only because I know if I gave it in to anyone else they'd just take it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

would have a look around, see if there is anyone feverlessly checking their wallets/purses/pockets, if not, into mine it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

When I was a schoolboy I found a £5 note on the ground and handed it in to the school's lost and found. It got me some serious abuse from the other lads at the time!

I got called to the headmistress' office about a month later though (usually only happened if you were gonna get expelled/suspended) where I was told that I was an exceptionally honest young man, that I was going to get a letter sent to my parents saying what a good boy I was, and that I was getting to keep the fiver as it hadn't been claimed. Score! :D
    I found a £1 coin in school once. I picked it up thinking "score! more sweets at lunch time!". An absolute arsehole of a teacher was walking by at the time though. He asked me if I was going to hand it in at the admin office. I said something along the lines of "I ah err emm" and he said he was going there and would take it for me. The office was in my line of sight and I watched him walk off in the direction, coming back a few minutes later. It never dawned on me to go to the office and tell them I lost money, I was just pissed he took it off me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BarryC

about a week ago in the local pub, the girl sitting next to me, tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I lost money. This took me by surprise and I responed no (I had no money on me). she said she found a fifty and ended up spitting it ith me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I found a £1 coin in school once. I picked it up thinking "score! more sweets at lunch time!". An absolute arsehole of a teacher was walking by at the time though. He asked me if I was going to hand it in at the admin office. I said something along the lines of "I ah err emm" and he said he was going there and would take it for me. The office was in my line of sight and I watched him walk off in the direction, coming back a few minutes later. It never dawned on me to go to the office and tell them I lost money, I was just pissed he took it off me. :mad:

Ha, serves you right, thief! :p

When I was in second grade I found a quarter on the ground and took it to my teacher. He helped me take it to the office so someone could claim it if they'd lost it. A couple of weeks later he gave me the quarter back after no one claimed it and said "Now, this should show you that honesty always pays." He was a really awesome teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Judging by the amount of responses of people saying they wouldn't give it back, I think you'd be silly to hand it in!! Especially if any of the responses on this boards thread happened to be from a possible barman/garda that you might end up handing it back to!! lol It's unlikely that it would reach it's original owner even if you were to hand it back. Better in your pocket than someone else's (who ALSO didn't own it originally I mean.. :rolleyes:).

Advertisement