Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded National ID card is on the way. Say no more.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Naos wrote: »
    Sorry what's the problem here OP?

was thinking the same thing ? long overdue imo
    The Roma community will not have one

that's true, any that don't escape in the first few weeks will be getting a tattoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I wouldn't be too happy with a national ID card, it all depends on who'd have access to all my information.

I wouldn't be too happy with a national ID card, it all depends on who'd have access to all my information.

a lot of people are concerned about that, but they have it anyway, if you use a club card for a supermarket, credit card, driving licence, passport, social welfare card, medical card, mobile phone, or own a dog, or a TV......

I had to carry one in Germany, it's not so bad when you know everyone else has to carry one, and pay a 50Euro fine if you are found without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

uberwolf wrote: »
    what's wrong with a National ID card?
    Its the radio technology that will be used in this type of ID card that is worrying, i.e. it can be read from inside your pocket or hand bag without you knowing. It can be scanned while you enter a building without your knowledge, It can be hacked into without your knowledge and information retrieved, Apart from this I would have no probs carrying a conventional ID card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I don't like the idea of the card being mandatory by law, if it was to be that way.

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    a lot of people are concerned about that, but they have it anyway, if you use a club card for a supermarket, credit card, driving licence, passport, social welfare card, medical card, mobile phone, or own a dog, or a TV......

I had to carry one in Germany, it's not so bad when you know everyone else has to carry one, and pay a 50Euro fine if you are found without it.

A 50 euro fine! F.uck that George Orwell sh1t, i'll hang onto my tesco's club card thank you very much!

I'm fully aware there's mountains of information out there on me already but i just don't like the idea of it all being in the one database and who'll end up having access to that information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Its the technology that will be used in this type of ID card that is worrying, ie it can be read from inside your pocket or hand bag without you knowing. It can be scanned while you enter a building without your knowledge, It can be hacked into without your knowledge

By who?

And why?

If you keep it in a protective cover I find this unlikely. Fcuk, we all have enough trouble with those ATMs than ask you to swipe the card in for 3 seconds then remove. They only work half the time, so a guy across the street with a laser gun would be doing well to get a hit.

Great idea tbh. Only people I feel sorry for are the underage drinkers.

A 50 euro fine! F.uck that George Orwell sh1t, i'll hang onto my tesco's club card thank you very much!

I'm fully aware there's mountains of information out there on me already but i just don't like the idea of it all being in the one database and who'll end up having access to that information.
    I was hauled in at Sants station Barcelona and quizzed for several hours by private detectives because I left my passport ID behind in the apt three years ago. I was treated like a suspect terrorist, This is what we could be up against if/when carrying this card becomes mandatory.

about a year ago a guy I know got grief in town from this drunk scumbag in a queue at an ATM. Words were exchanged, scumbag uses ATM, more words exchanged, scumbags whore gets involved, scumbag throws punch, scuffle ensues, Garda arrive, scumbag and whore questioned, scumbag and scumbags whore asked for their details, scumbag and scumbags whore give false names, scumbag and scumbags whore never charged....

bring on the ID card

about a year ago a guy I know got grief in town from this drunk scumbag in a queue at an ATM. Words were exchanged, scumbag uses ATM, more words exchanged, scumbags whore gets involved, scumbag throws punch, scuffle ensues, Garda arrive, scumbag and whore questioned, scumbag and scumbags whore asked for their details, scumbag and scumbags whore give false names, scumbag and scumbags whore never charged....

bring on the ID card

Or else a better police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Stekelly wrote: »
    Jesus you should have your own forum for this stuff by now. :rolleyes:

At least then I could avoid all of it at once.
    How about... this forum.

Shhh! You didn't hear it from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

Actually it is about time it is coming in. I for one am tired having to carry my passport with me nearly all the time and will be availing of the new National ID card. Bring it in I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'll only have a problem with a national ID card if you have something to hide. As someone pointed out the germans carry ID cards and god knows its not like the krauts to stand idly by while their civil liberties are eroded by the state. :pac:

Its not about wanting to hide anything its about feeling secure about having a certain amount of privacy. It all boils down to what such a card would cover. I would just be concerned about who'd have access to this info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

bring on the ID card

You wouldn't have to carry it with you all the time, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

jimbo78 wrote: »
    What's the big deal with carrying it with you? Motorists have to carry
    their drivers license when driving or face penalty points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

But you can choose not to drive.

Is having the freedom to choose not important?

Mr.S wrote: »
    the public wont have access to it, so whats the problem?

My problem would be that i'd be worried what possible implications it would have in the future, what kind of information would be involved and who would have access. I just don't like the idea of it turning into a situation where my whole life is becoming documented in one big government database. Too much like big brother for my liking, kind of creeps me out.

This breed of a card will track all your movements electronically. I.E You use it at the tax office or any government building, crossing borders, driving a car, cashing a cheque, travelling on a bus, when ever stopped by the cops, purchasing alcohol or entering a pub etc. an electronic print out could be made of all the times it has been scanned

The current license used by Irish motorists is just a bit of paper with a photo and dose not have any multi purpose tracking ability. If you produce the current license more than likely the authorities will just look at it and hand it back.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

if it replaces that stupid driving licence that we have now then I am certainly in favour of it.

• Advertisement

This breed of a card it will track all your movements electronically. I.E You use it at the tax office or any government building, crossing borders, driving a car, cashing a cheque, travelling on a bus, when ever stopped by the cops, purchasing alcohol etc.

As does your credit card or debit card or social security card or drivers license or passport currently.
    I'd rather have one card to cover all.

If this thread proves anything it's that there will be a ready market out
    there for tinfoil hats and lead lined wallets should this be introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I've no problem with the cards but can't see how this is a selling point for those who have concerns.

lead lined wallets should this be introduced.
    Faraday caged wallets have been on the market for several years now, I can see their sales pick up here. :)http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/faraday-cage-passport-wallets-jams-rfidchipped-travel-docs-193903.php

As does your credit card or debit card or social security card or drivers license or passport currently.

If this thread proves anything it's that there will be a ready market out
    there for tinfoil hats and lead lined wallets should this be introduced.

It's not about conspiricy theories or any of that its just a matter of having a choice. is it that much hassle using different cards for diffent services? not for me it isn't.

Faraday caged wallets have been on the market for several years now, I can see their sales pick up here. :)http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/faraday-cage-passport-wallets-jams-rfidchipped-travel-docs-193903.php

For less than €2 you can pick one of these up if you're worried.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1305

It'll also block mobile signals, which many people seem to forget
    track your movement just as much as any new ID card will.

For less than €2 you can pick one of these up if you're worried.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1305

It'll also block mobile signals, which many people seem to forget
    track your movement just as much as any new ID card will.
    That’s a cheapo, I would trust it as far as I would throw it, next thing Lidls and Aldi will have them on special
    So the next crooked cop that pulls you over has access to all your medical records, bank statements, previous violations, and what ever else you had for breakfast. :rolleyes:

That’s a cheapo, I would trust it as far as I would throw it, next thing Lidls and Aldi will have them on special

So the next crooked cop that pulls you over has access to all your medical records, bank statements, previous violations, and what ever else you had for breakfast. :rolleyes:

How often do you get pulled over by cops?
    I can't recall when I last was - apart from the rare tax/insurance checks.
    How many of these are 'crooked cops' ?
    What do you have to hide? Will I be in trouble if I had double portions
    of cornflakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A cop can already access your criminal record. Why would he want you medical one?(btw any cop that wants my medical record is welcome to it, he'll I'll post the details here if anyone wants them)

Your bank card doesnt hold your account transactions,why would this.

As for the last bit, if a card can record what I'm eating and a cop is interested in wasting his time reading through such info, then again, he can have it.
    jimbo78 wrote: »

Whats the point of an id card that people dont carry? You can hardly identify yourself if it's at home.
    How about... this forum.

Shhh! You didn't hear it from me!

I'm actually after a seperate Run_to_da_hills one in case I ever want to rummage through conspiracy theories without haveing to see the really wacky ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I think it's a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The hassle starts to arise when private companies (or your employer) wants to use it for their own purposes.

Advertisement