Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

Yep!
    freddiew wrote: »
    Anyone going down to Templemore Weekend 10/11th May?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Have sent you Private Message

Anyone want a lift from Dublin to Templemore next weekend, let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

The very best of luck to everyone on stage II sitting their exam on Tuesday
    see you all next weekend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 flat_tyre_again

Can Anyone give a brief description about what Phase III is like and any tips for what to bring?

You have to be there for 8am, bring tracksuit and trainers but you should be given track suit with your Uniform that is the first thing that happens. Then, we go for inspection then break into groups one group does SD and the other Role Play. It is mainly Role Play all day in and out of uniform, that is the Saturday. Sunday you are tested on everything that happened on Saturday, you have your Photo taken and do some marching for Graduation Day. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, is this closely supervised as a state exam would be or a little looser? anyone know if any failed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

:cool::DHave many people on this been invited to start training on the 7/8th of June ?? Also how often do they start training for the Reserves ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chrisdublin

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the garda reserve are issued with the old style wooden batons or the new extendable ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the garda reserve are issued with the old style wooden batons or the new extendable ones?

i dont think you get one?

but then again im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

You do get one. If you read back in this thread you'll see that all reserves are issued with the wooden batons and they have to do a one day course to use the new extendable ones. This was a good few months back so I think that most reserves have the new ones and the training is just part of the subsequent phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

CapL wrote: »
    Do all the reserve Gardai and student gardai carry identifiaction(warrant card). I mean officially they are not sworn members as such are they???

Would someone who is in the reserve or a Student gaurd please outline some of the powers they have or do not have.

When you graduate in Phase 5, you will be sworn in as a member of An Garda Siochana, which means as it says, you are a member of An Garda Siochana. The rank of reserve is an official rank in An Garda Siochana, and while you may be at the bottom of the pile so to speak, it is still an official rank. When you attest in Phase 5 you are also given your official ID card/warrant card, which is the same as a full time members ID card, apart from the rank on it (Reserve Garda). Finally as regards powers, we are pretty limited, with our powers so far revolving around traffic mainly, which is not much use when you trying to break up a fight at 3am. This is a major bone of contention at the moment amongst attested reserves, and hopefully in time the Commisioner will release more powers (such as public order) to Reserves who have completed their probationary period.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Is it me or is there very little starting on the 7th/8th of june??:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Stephen321

Got a call from the Garda Reserve office on wednesday asking me to start on the 26th. They told me an email would be sent out with all the information, were you told this as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

Stephen321 wrote: »
    Got a call from the Garda Reserve office on wednesday asking me to start on the 26th. They told me an email would be sent out with all the information, were you told this as well...

I was indeed, he said I should receive it early next week.

Regards.

Did you receive an email yet Stephen321?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Stephen321

Did you receive an email yet Stephen321?

I didnt get an email yet, i thought we'd have got one earlier this week though. It might come tomorrow yet

Dont worry I got the second form too, didnt have leaving, all went well as I had other courses done. Nearly completed pahse 4 now. Very enjoyable.

Hi, I think I may have met you in Templemore as I am on Phase 4 as well in Dublin. Sure Private me if interested. S

You can go down on friday night if you need to, phone ahead and ask for a room in the hotel to be booked for you first, from west you may not need to go through Dublin at all, maybe Athlone then downwards, but take a look at map, coming from Templemore you will be coming into the red cow roundabout then onto city centre from there, would advise stay near red cow then get Luas direct into Abbey st public app office. Hope that helps. Diet is a good idea if you are overweight but if you are healthy you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

thanks leinsterdude, had look at map yesterday

will drive to athlone, which is grand have done numerous trips to there and then onto templemore, was planning to drive back to athlone, then to longford and onto dublin, last time i was on the red cow it was mental and dont really fancy that, i know it is a longer route but i know the road and just might be easier, it will be only a once off, staying in parkwest as a friend lives there and will get luas into jervis street on monday morning.

diet ? i hate them love my food way too much, am working out though so we will see. am doing an hour in the gym with half hour in the pool after. mostly cardio in gym and some weights but not a huge amount yet. at mo just want to concentrate on cardio.

thanks for the advice

I didnt get an email yet, i thought we'd have got one earlier this week though. It might come tomorrow yet

Did you receive your letter yet Stephen321? I'm heading down on the 8th, will be staying in the college for the 2 nights. hope to see you down there.

Anybody else heading down that weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Did you receive your letter yet Stephen321? I'm heading down on the 8th, will be staying in the college for the 2 nights. hope to see you down there.

Anybody else heading down that weekend?

You don't stay in the college, you stay in a hotel. or has it changed?

I was left a voicemail on my phone today and told I would be staying in the college. Got the impression I won't be the only one.

Regards.

Would doubt your in the actual college digs, its a local hotel usually, best of luck with it, you will enjoy it.

the first weekend is very interesting, dont be anxious be excited, it will give you a good insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

mountain man

have you been given dates of the weekends you will be in templemore training? it starts on the 9th august, is it every weekend every that?

i have my medical on wednesday but doubt i will pass it, my bmi is still quite high, but am in the gym every morning for the last week for 45mins and then 15mins in the pool, just doing cardio and some leg exercises. even at my weight i am reasonably fit and enjoying the workouts, hate getting out of the bed at 6.30am but by 7.30am i am buzzing!

wrote: »
    mountain man

have you been given dates of the weekends you will be in templemore training? it starts on the 9th august, is it every weekend every that?

i have my medical on wednesday but doubt i will pass it, my bmi is still quite high, but am in the gym every morning for the last week for 45mins and then 15mins in the pool, just doing cardio and some leg exercises. even at my weight i am reasonably fit and enjoying the workouts, hate getting out of the bed at 6.30am but by 7.30am i am buzzing!

Hi sfhawke7w,

Phase 1 will be the 9/10 Aug, then its Phase 2, 50+ hrs of law at your assigned station, back to templemore for Phase 3 . Phase 4, 40hrs on station duty and then attestation in Templmore. All told I think it's 19 weeks in total, should be passing out in Dec!

Fair juice to ye for getting up that early. You won't have a problem with the med, you've done it before and passed. We'll have a pint in Polly's to kickstart the weekend. Good luck with it and let me know how you get on on Wed.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

story1970,i've been waiting now 16 months.still waiting on the medical date.doesen't matter how many times you ring or email gr it's the same old spin story ''your application is nearing completion''.i've been hearing that old shine now for almost a year.so just be patient and hope you get a call soon.

donman wrote: »
    story1970,i've been waiting now 16 months.still waiting on the medical date.doesen't matter how many times you ring or email gr it's the same old spin story ''your application is nearing completion''.i've been hearing that old shine now for almost a year.so just be patient and hope you get a call soon.

Donman , it's definitely worth the wait (18 months for me). Have just completed phase 1 and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The teaching staff were extremely professional and curteous.

The class itself, well you coudn't meet a nicer bunch of people,we had a very enjoyable Sat night in Polly's, and all got on very well. I think staying in the college instead of a hotel added to this sense of unifying the class.

Probably next intake will be Oct, so hope you get word on checks and med shortly. Sure another few weeks wait will be nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

Have been in the Garda Reserve a year now, and enjoy it immensily, No problems off the regular Gardai. done the ASP course and looking forward to getting our allowance at the end of the month,, besides it been a usefull past-time , it looks good on application forms for jobs and for those going for promotion in their jobs.. Good luck