Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm - GSM v Digidialler

Options
  • 17-07-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Anyone have advise to hand on the best options to activate and de-activate an alarm remotely from my mobile phone.

Due to have new alarm system installed over the next two weeks and would prefer to have this option.

Really dont want to have to get a landline installed to do this though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

If you dont want a land line installed the GSM dialler is the only route, however I believe the GSM dialler should be used only as a backup system for the digi modem (land dialler). Plus at a cost of €400 to €500 euro I think its a lot of money to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Genco

Thanks for posting - 400 is higher than I was quoted for the cost of the panel and keypad :confused: so sounds like thats out.

What are my options for getting a text to my phone to advise if the alarm has been activated. Again dont have a landline so hopefully there is a workable (ie cheap but reliable) option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I've had good results with the HKC GSM unit. You simply text the panel with your code followed by set, unset, status etc and it does the rest. It comes with an 02 card but you can grt your own pre pay card for it.
    Alternatively if you have wireless broadband and an ATA you could use the pstn digi with blue face or something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Genco

Jnealon have you any idea what the GSM cost when you have installed it ?

The landline option at less than €100 is pretty cheap but GSM would be preferable if its less than €200.

Also I have wireless broadband but I have no idea what an ATA is so would appreciate further info. if you can point me in the right direction pls :o

The GSM units are expensive, prices mentioned in previous posts would not be too far off the mark.
    It sounds like the ATA is the way to go. Clicky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Genco wrote: »
    Anyone have advise to hand on the best options to activate and de-activate an alarm remotely from my mobile phone.

Due to have new alarm system installed over the next two weeks and would prefer to have this option.

Really dont want to have to get a landline installed to do this though.

Forget HKC and take a look at the New Europlex Signet a little more expensive but the Signet 200 & 300 have IP as well as GSM & wirless modules. With a web server built in you have full access from your mobile browser as well.

I'll second the Signet but make sure you have the latest firmware v1.3. The only thing is that it is not as easy to install the HKC to install

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

The HKC Gsm unit is easy to use and the only way set or unset / control the panel from your mobile phone. The land line digi cant proform any set or uset finctions.

The GSM unit can also be used to trip lights , heat , gates,! If the Gsm is set up and wired into the system.

I have 1 and its great. I have no land line and have saved money on line rental already.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cadzer wrote: »
    The HKC Gsm unit is easy to use and the only way set or unset / control the panel from your mobile phone. The land line digi cant proform any set or uset finctions.

The GSM unit can also be used to trip lights , heat , gates,! If the Gsm is set up and wired into the system.

I have 1 and its great. I have no land line and have saved money on line rental already.
    If your interested in all this .. The SigNet is the way to go

koolkid wrote: »
    If your interested in all this .. The SigNet is the way to go

I am intersested alright but what can the signet do that the GSM cant? Like can you set the panel?Trip an output? whats the differance between the two?

• Advertisement

Follow the link above go to downloads & technical data sheets
    Its worth it for the IP access alone.

Cadzer wrote: »
    I am intersested alright but what can the signet do that the GSM cant? Like can you set the panel?Trip an output? whats the differance between the two?

Both the HKC unit and the Europlex Signet will do the same things like switch on and off the alarm, lights, open gates etc but out of the two the Europlex is probably better as it has X10 plus it's neater looking than the HKC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Cadzer,

How much did it cost for the GSM upgrade. ?

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

got a gsmart - sms alarm receiver transmitter from Trade Electric in Limerick.

Havent installed it yet but from reading the manual it appears to have functions to control other things also.....

anyone any comments/experience with these.

i am hoping to eventually set up a cctv system which i can monitor overthe web also....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 will643

Did you install the gsmart yet- Whats it like if you did.
    How much did it cost? What pannel can it be used with?

got a gsmart - sms alarm receiver transmitter from Trade Electric in Limerick.

Havent installed it yet but from reading the manual it appears to have functions to control other things also.....

anyone any comments/experience with these.

i am hoping to eventually set up a cctv system which i can monitor overthe web also....
    The signet would have been the much easier way to go.
    CCTV monitoring is totally seperate from your alarm , this connects directly to your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

How much did you pay for the G-Smart,i installed a couple of these,there grand ,do the job,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Koolkid do you work for Europlex or something?:confused:

I'm 25 years in this job and I can tell you the Signet is a ball of sh*te!
    It's riddled with software issues and still is.... maybe the one you bought you were lucky, but believe me I've removed over a dozen of them last year alone.
    If its so great, why haven't they made their own sensors????
    Using another company's radio card and sensors, come on like!:eek:

Visonic can offer X10, remote dial-in, SMS via GSM, Arm disarm by text, IP signalling, to name but a few.
    (How do you think Eroplex came up with the IP idea???)
    :mad:

And BTW, CCTV doesn't have to be separate from the alarm.... Have you not heard of the ATS panel from Aritech? (Or is that out of your league?)

Koolkid do you work for Europlex or something?:confused:
    No! why??
    I'm 25 years in this job and I can tell you the Signet is a ball of sh*te!
    It's riddled with software issues and still is.... maybe the one you bought you were lucky, but believe me I've removed over a dozen of them last year alone.
    I'm in the business 20+ years also which is irrelevant here as the Signet is a new panel. I have installed loads so I must be very lucky I guess

Using another company's radio card and sensors, come on like!:eek:
    How is this relevent to anything. I use Aritech or Astec sensors all the time on HKC. Its personal preference & ease of use.

And BTW, CCTV doesn't have to be separate from the alarm.... Have you not heard of the ATS panel from Aritech? (Or is that out of your league?)
    Yes I have heard of (and used) Aritech ATS panel. Hardly suitable for the OPs application. Why would it be out of my league? Its fairly straightforward dont you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

jamesbond wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the G-Smart,i installed a couple of these,there grand ,do the job,

I priced them there €356 ex vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

Got myself a grandstream handytone-486 ( ATA ) and signed up with blueface for voip and connected this to my astec 49DV at the weekend and it's working fine, did 6 tests calls from it yesterday and all worked, it also works by ringing the 2nd or 3rd number in my alarm contact list if the previous number did not answer.

The grandstream only cost me €50

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

(Or is that out of your league?)

Debate is great lads, but let's watch for potential flaming matches, you never know how someone will take a typed comment.

It would be best to keep things focused on the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Hi All,

I have an existing HKC alarm system (probably HKC SW812 ) and I've just purchased a HKC GSM dialer ( GSM-P €300+vat) and I'm looking for some assistance with connecting this to the alarm panel. Hopefully somebody here can help.

1/ I don't need to isolate power to the main panel. Is this correct?
    2/ Is the 4-core ribbon cable required as I don't have one?
    3/ Is the ribbon cable just used to configure the GSM module and can then be removed?
    4/ The GSM module can use up to 500mW. Do I need a 1amp PSU?
    5/ Any other tips?

Thanks all.

proteus wrote: »
    1/ I don't need to isolate power to the main panel. Is this correct?
    You should always switch off the mains power before opening the panel
    2/ Is the 4-core ribbon cable required as I don't have one?
    It should come with the dialler as well as the mounting clips
    3/ Is the ribbon cable just used to configure the GSM module and can then be removed?
    When you say GSM unit do you mean the text dialler
    4/ The GSM module can use up to 500mW. Do I need a 1amp PSU?
    again do you mean text dialler? If so No.
    If you mean a seperate GSM dialler then yes for that currant consumption

Thanks all.

This is the GSM device:

HKC GSM Router (ABS housing):
    http://www.rspl.ie/reliablesecurity/Main/Products_DigitalVoiceTextLAN.htm

If you didn't get the ribbon cable then you would need the 2 plug on cards, one for the digi and one for the panel. You then run 4 core cable between the two and you will also need to run 12vdc

koolkid wrote: »
    You should always switch off the mains power before opening the panel
    It should come with the dialler as well as the mounting clips

That was the source of confusion, It didn't come with the RS485 comms cards. I had to follow up with the supplier for these.

I can disconnect the mains power for the alarm panel. I take it that I need to keep the battery power to prevent the settings being lost. Is there any problem just plugging the RS485 modules into the main panel while there is still battery power connected, any order they need to be plugged in?

The (aux)(SW8-12) 12v connectors on the main panel already have connections in them. What could these be and if they were disconnected while connecting the GSM panel could this cause problems?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 verycoolguy60

hi all i also have a question on the hkc alarm contacts the ones i am useing are the shock sensors with built in reed, is there anyone there that can tell me which way these are wired the problem i am having is that when the window is shut the shock wont work but when the window is opened the the shock will work i think it is something to do with the way i have the contacts bridged out in the sensor. can any one through any lite on this

As fishdog said in the other thread you posted in..
    Wire them in series not parallel

• Advertisement

hi all i also have a question on the hkc alarm contacts the ones i am useing are the shock sensors with built in reed, is there anyone there that can tell me which way these are wired the problem i am having is that when the window is shut the shock wont work but when the window is opened the the shock will work i think it is something to do with the way i have the contacts bridged out in the sensor. can any one through any lite on this

Ok you have it wired in you need to wire it in series. this is the simple way to wire it.

you have 6 wiring terminals.

1=red
    2=black
    3=Blue
    4=yellow
    5=wire link between 5 and six
    6=above.

thats the easy way note terminal 1 is closest to the shock and 6 is beside the tamper switch.

Advertisement