Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Sport?

Options
  • 23-06-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/1.8-AUTO/1087188/

Came across this on the travels been thinking of trading up the 'ol Carina lately (see thread on Lexus LS400).

Damn its tempting:o, but it would be a tax deductable.

On the other hand i was just thinking of putting leather interior and giving the old bus a bit of a day out at the local Toyota dealership for a service, usally do it myself but a few jobs need doing that i dont feel confident doing on my own (ATF) and running the Carina till 2012.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 4 speed auto is painful. a 5 speed auto with a big engine wouldn't be far off mpg wise.

that's aftermarket leather too, and doesn't match the rest of the grey interior. Also for taxiing, you may as well seek out a low mileage used one a few years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Is it for taxiing? If so isn't there a minimum age thing in the pipeline with the aim of taking all the scrufffy stuff off the ranks?

If so isn't your old Carina's days numbered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

WOW!

The words "Avensis", "Sport" and "tempting" all in one post :D

The "sport" bit was made up by the dealer, the "tempting" bit is subjective!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

peasant wrote: »
    WOW!

The words "Avensis", "Sport" and "tempting" all in one post :D
    I have a 2008 1.6L Avensis sitting outside, a hire car courtesy of Quinn.
    Anyhow, I have had it for the last week and I can honestly say that there isn't one thing nice about the car, except that it gave 35mpg overall. It is crap. The radio is crap. The plastickyness of it is crap. The gearchange is crap. The seats are crap. The handling is crap. The pretend leather is crap. Its crap!

Did I say that I think its not very good?

• Advertisement

bet you wish you had a Mondeo or a Passat. their base models are SOOO plush :rolleyes:

re: the stereo, mess around with the settings, the current ones have 8 speakers and sound decent enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well, from what I can see on Toyota.ie, there isn't a huge amount inside different between the basic spec and higher models. As for the handling, I'd gamble that they are all pretty poor drives!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

looks like a TTE front grill, maybe a front lip on the front bumper too.
    the leather interier doesnt look standard as noted above.

everything else is standard on that model. dual climate control, allthough the wheels are from the UK TSpirit spec which came on my car.

i didnt know them were wheels were available over here as i have never seen an irish avensis with them on it.

the auto box may be ok for the taxi as the diesel suffers from a slightly heavy clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

I was driven around in one recently - brand new car. Was expecting more... felt a little underwhelmed - I think it was the ride most of all - but again - i didnt drive it.

but as you know more than any of us i suspect... can't fault toyota and their reliability and i would take something like this over a passat all day long on that front.

as mentioned in another thread - ive driven a few auto sonatas - frankly i like them - would purchase a sonata over an avensis, just a personal thing though. very good value new - but offset by resale.

a tough one..!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bit of a difference between €3k and €33k there VB!!

It's a rip off. It has 6k on the clock and is priced higher than a new one even with leather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kbannon wrote: »
    I have a 2008 1.6L Avensis sitting outside, a hire car courtesy of Quinn.
    Anyhow, I have had it for the last week and I can honestly say that there isn't one thing nice about the car, except that it gave 35mpg overall. It is crap. The radio is crap. The plastickyness of it is crap. The gearchange is crap. The seats are crap. The handling is crap. The pretend leather is crap. Its crap!

Did I say that I think its not very good?

Finally someone who agrees with me. I hate those things. Pure tin feel to the thing.
    Gearchange is too much landcruiser for a car
    Plastic is everywhere
    handles crap.
    and the bootlid.... lightweight and undamped. cheap feel.

Passat is much nicer car although harder on the road.

Also after having a hired avensis for a week while searching for new car, a had a look a new IS220d..... same crap steering controls. nearly got sick. plastics are better but not good enough.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between €3k and €33k there VB!!

It's a rip off. It has 6k on the clock and is priced higher than a new one even with leather.

Not quite, an Avensis auto with metallic paint is 33k, this one also has leather and the Toyota Motorsport bodykit (which is v.expensive), upgrade alloys and tinted windows. retail price on those extras is around €6-7k.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not quite, an Avensis auto with metallic paint is 33k, this one also has leather and the Toyota Motorsport bodykit (which is v.expensive), upgrade alloys and tinted windows. retail price on those extras is around €6-7k.

retail not = resale at 6k on the clock with arseways leather in a depressed market with a new one due within 12 months.

I really do like Toyotas but they have to up the game on making the cars feel "weighty"

retail not = resale at 6k on the clock with arseways leather in a depressed market with a new one due within 12 months.

I really do like Toyotas but they have to up the game on making the cars feel "weighty"
    That's a matter of opinion, to be realistic about it, they've put loads of extras on a demo model, and are now advertising it for the price of a new model without the extras. your statement below is simply untrue, this is what I replied to.

That's a matter of opinion, to be realistic about it, they've put loads of extras on a demo model, and are now advertising it for the price of a new model without the extras. your statement below is simply untrue, this is what I replied to.

It's untrue based on list price, but Toyota are trying to give these things away right now, so true based on market price.

If there weren't any extras on it, as a dealer what would you be asking? bearing in mind that auto models are special order, and not readily available.

If there weren't any extras on it, as a dealer what would you be asking? bearing in mind that auto models are special order, and not readily available.

If I were a dealer I wouldn't have gotten stuck with it in the first place!!

I'd look for €31k max, better in the bank account than getting flatter on the forecourt.

theyre going up in price at the end of the month, and Toyota don't do a diesel automatic Avensis. I wouldn't be too worried if I were them. You'd swear it was pink with blue stripes and has 100k on the clock!

Ah now it's going up to €33,410 ex works (+€1,300), which makes this even less palatable. The leather is actually awful looking IMO.

If a new one goes up in price, how does a 08 used one become less attractive? I don't follow your logic at all!

Ageed on the leather though. not nice at all.

• Advertisement

Toyota are trying to give these things away right now...

I'm afraid you're mistaken there. It *should* be the case - but its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mickdw wrote: »
    Finally someone who agrees with me. I hate those things. Pure tin feel to the thing.
    Gearchange is too much landcruiser for a car
    Plastic is everywhere
    handles crap.
    and the bootlid.... lightweight and undamped. cheap feel.

Passat is much nicer car although harder on the road.

Avensis has the same Euro NCAP rating as the current Passat despite being two years older i.e. 5 stars so the comment about having a tin feel is just daft. It's not how thick the metal is that makes a safe car but how well designed the crumble zones underneath are in an accident. ;)

Also the last I sat in a Passat the quality of plastics about the interior was hardly impressive either. But then again there alot of people out there who are impressed by silicone dampened grab handles and lots of ambient back lighting.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Avensis has the same Euro NCAP rating as the current Passat despite being two years older i.e. 5 stars so the comment about having a tin feel is just daft. It's not how thick the metal is that makes a safe car but how well designed the crumble zones underneath are in an accident. ;)

Also the last I sat in a Passat the quality of plastics about the interior was hardly impressive either. But then again there alot of people out there who are impressed by silicone dampened grab handles and lots of ambient back lighting.

the doors are quite heavy and I thought if anything it had a solid feel. the interior on the other hand isnt the be all... seats looked as if they would wear 200,000 very well though. but they were cloth. Obviously the leather is a bit different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    As for the handling, I'd gamble that they are all pretty poor drives!
    This'll be close to home for you. My father-in-law has an '05 1.6 Avensis, and before that a '96 520i he owned from new. He rarely gets animated about anything, but "how does the Avensis compare to the BMW?" sets him off, so much so that I regret asking -- he prefers the Avensis by a country mile. Ironically you mention plastics (the boards measure of quality) and specs. The Avensis has a CD player!:p

I don't like to knock something just because the herd are doing it. Avensis is a fine car, suits lots of people perfectly, and sells by the shipload. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to someone who wants reliable, comfortable, economical, A-B motoring.

Colm says the leather is aftermarket so I'd believe him. I like the look of it, and I like the way they've done the door cards. The dealer is being cheeky calling anything with an auto box "sport" tho.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to someone who wants reliable, comfortable, economical, A-B motoring.

+1 Doubt anyone would argue that..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

geoff29 wrote: »
    the doors are quite heavy and I thought if anything it had a solid feel. the interior on the other hand isnt the be all... seats looked as if they would wear 200,000 very well though. but they were cloth. Obviously the leather is a bit different...

Totally agree, some of the plastics are shiny alright but then again it appears that the definition of a good car on this forum seems to be directly related to the quality of plastic in the cabin.

Expect the Clarkson "this car has no soul" sound bytes next.

To anyone who enthuses about the lovely feel of VW plastics. look at one that's a few years old where the rubberised plastic is peeling off the doors and switches. great quality.

unlike most substances, quality doesn't mean durability when it comes to car interiors. it means being black and rubbery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My father-in-law has an '05 1.6 Avensis, and before that a '96 520i he owned from new. He rarely gets animated about anything, but "how does the Avensis compare to the BMW?" sets him off, so much so that I regret asking -- he prefers the Avensis by a country mile..

You know, I doubt very much you regret asking him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The dealer is being cheeky calling anything with an auto box "sport" tho.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ferrari/F430/F1-www.richford.ie/967995/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »
    ...but then again it appears that the definition of a good car on this forum seems to be directly related to the quality of plastic in the cabin.

Expect the Clarkson "this car has no soul" sound bytes next.

+1...

This place is obsessed with German cars - must be part of new-millenium Celtic tiger aspirational zeitgeist (RIP). Interior plastic is higher on the list than driving dynamics for many on here I fear... And they call themselves car enthusiasts:eek:

Anyway, I digress. Avensis is getting a bit old, Passat is a VW. I'd have a Mazda 6 over either of them - Mondeo-level dynamics but with a bit more style and without the whale-sized ass. It's interior is not best-in-class - but hey - there are more important criteria than shiny plastics...

Advertisement