Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you characterise the Irish?

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I know I'm asking for generalisation.

But if you had to describe things that are unique about the Irish, for someone who has not lived in the culture, what would you say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fondness for alcomohol is the blatantly obvious one.

someone's bound to say we're begrudgers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i'd say that we can sometimes live up to some of the stereotypes, just not 24/7. and that we're flawed, but better for those flaws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Xavi6 wrote: »

Lol, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title and was about to say (re begrudging).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I was in the car with my slovak girlfriend recently driving around lonely roads in wexford,she was driving.
    Walkers put their hands up to say hello and drivers also saluted she asked why were they waving and saluting and i said its because we are irish and a friendly race...Am i wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

funnily enough, one time i was walking down the suks in jerusalem arab quarter,the proprieter of a wee shop was giving me all the spiel "you american, english.." etc, when i told him i was irish, his very loud respones was " aah irish... bacon and cabbage....bacon and cabbage"!

flanum wrote: »
    funnily enough, one time i was walking down the suks in jerusalem arab quarter,the proprieter of a wee shop was giving me all the spiel "you american, english.." etc, when i told him i was irish, his very loud respones was " aah irish... bacon and cabbage....bacon and cabbage"!

aka tourist clap trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Affable wrote: »

But if you had to describe things that are unique about the Irish, for someone who has not lived in the culture, what would you say?
    Er..this might come as a bit of a shock but there is no culture in Ireland.We let the language die.We all support english teams/watch BBC.Read english newspapers.Makes you wonder why we bothered with the whole independence mularkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

berliner wrote: »
    We all support english teams/watch BBC.Read english newspapers.

Doesn't mean you don't still have different behaviours to us.

Er..this might come as a bit of a shock but there is no culture in Ireland..

sorry mate but ask any of the people i met at the leitrim fleadh last week if there is any culture in ireland.
    thats just the music...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Doesn't mean you don't still have different behaviours to us.
    Who are 'us'?

Not your ornery onager

Er..this might come as a bit of a shock but there is no culture in Ireland.We let the language die.We all support english teams/watch BBC.Read english newspapers.Makes you wonder why we bothered with the whole independence mularkey.
    my Irish granny doesnt know what chelsea is,please dont generalise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

esel wrote: »
    Who are 'us'?

The English.

The English.

Booo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Er..this might come as a bit of a shock but1 there is no culture in Ireland.2We let the language die.3We all support english teams/4watch BBC.5Read english newspapers.Makes you wonder why we bothered with the whole independence mularkey.

1. yeah there is
    2. not me personally
    3. nope, no interest there
    4. not a whole lot
    5. no again

lighten up beeotch, you might feel that way but there is no need to tar us all with the brush you've obviously been tarred with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sorry mate but ask any of the people i met at the leitrim fleadh last week if there is any culture in ireland.
    thats just the music...

Culture? In Leitrim you say? Ha!

Culture is dyieing everywhere that cant be disputed!

anyway op...

back to the question, how would you characterise the irish to a stranger?

Land of saints and scholars, fantastic sense of humour, very musical, great dancers.

quite possibly the most sexiest breed on this planet!

also been known to enjoy a pint of alcoholic beverage on a pleasent day, if its been well deserved after a hard days work of course. just the one or two though!

begrudgers, definitely, but i think we are more begrudging to fellow irish than to outsiders.

very welcoming, (at least we were once famous for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

Drunks. The lot of yas!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

quite possibly the most sexiest breed on this planet!

Who told you that? Probably some stupid woman no doubt. Don't listen to them women, heads full of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Interestingly enough this is how many Danes describes themselves, same with the Germans, and the Australians. Across the Irish Sea they talk about their "pub culture." You think we have it bad? Look at the state of Russia.
    The Irish are not alone there either.

The truth is we're not that much different from others. We're not "special."

Who told you that? Probably some stupid woman no doubt. Don't listen to them women, heads full of nonsense.

I don't trust people that promote institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Riverdance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

After the Celtic Tiger we are like binmen who have won the lottery.
    If yous get what i mean.

I was in the car with my slovak girlfriend recently driving around lonely roads in wexford,she was driving.
    Walkers put their hands up to say hello and drivers also saluted she asked why were they waving and saluting and i said its because we are irish and a friendly race...Am i wrong?

Decent irish people are friendly.
    My home has been invaded by a load of ****ers who refuse to acknowledge you even when you go out of your way for them,
    and who sneer at you when you comment on the weather.
    I feel a lynching coming on.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Decent irish people are friendly.
    My home has been invaded by a load of ****ers who refuse to acknowledge you even when you go out of your way for them,
    and who sneer at you when you comment on the weather.
    I feel a lynching coming on.

Really? wheres this?
    Are the invaders of the homegrown kind from the other island?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

characterise the Irish??

hmmm, well, they're lazy, cant trust em, they steal whatevers not nailed down,hey are a godless despicable bunch of invaders, cant wait for them to be kicked off this island.

oh... wait...

:D

caoibhin wrote: »
    Really? wheres this?
    Are the invaders of the homegrown kind from the other island?

They are from the pale, or they have lived there for two long.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    They are from the pale, or they have lived there for two long.

Ah right, holiday home owners from D4?
    Cant stand that lot myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I know they're from the UK (well, Derry), but we can claim them can't we, as they characterise the Irish:

Drunken Irish

Advertisement