Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Live! on Iphone (how to configure the proxy settings)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I presume ya still get gprs speeds with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 collyv71

hi skyuser thanks for the reply have most things workin now . haveing a problem with connecting wi fi what do i need ta put into the phone. trying to set up the wireless from home . thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 carradonna

collyv71 setting up wi fi on the iphone is pretty straight forward, you just go into settings-wi fi on the iphone, it should automatically detect your wireless network and just click on it. If it doesnt see your network just enter the details manually by clicking other, enter the network name, if its a secure network you'll have to enter the password in it as well. I'm assumin you have a wireless network set up at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 collyv71

thanks for that works great

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marvstrav

freddy99 wrote: »
    Marv,

Here is a copy of the section of the preferences.plist, with changes in red.

dict>
    <key>Interface</key>
    <dict>
    <key>DeviceName</key>
    <string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    <key>Type</key>
    </dict>
    <key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigURLString</key>
    <string>file:///var/mobile/proxy.pac</string>
    </dict>

<key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    <dict>
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Available</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Setup</key>
    <dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>gprs.qtel</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>gprs</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>gprs</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    </dict>

My model is 16GB 1.1.3.

I saved the new preferences.plist in both paths:
    /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
    and
    /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

and I'm using the /var/mobile directory for proxy.pac

Hope this works for you.

Freddy

I put the proxy.pac file exactly where you specified.
    in /var/mobile directory

I put the altered preferences.plist in the two places you specified:
    and
    /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Though, I did not have private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder on 1.1.4.

So, I did a bit of experimenting with placing the preferences.plist in other places with 1.1.4 and here's where I went.

Under the Root File System partition:
    var/preferences/systemConfiguration/

I places the preferences.plist over the existing preferences.plist file in the var/preferences/systemConfiguration/ folder and in the two other folders stated above and now it works. Safari, Maps, Stock and Weather work perfectly.

Hope this helps others.
    Thanks lotas and Freddy and all who helped out... I think 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 have a slightly difference hierarchy which is why my system was not able to point directly to the proxy.pac file.

Best regards and again Many Thanks for your help!

Marv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

People seem to have this working now , I wanted to know how it is working for you?

I find that using the vodafone live apn and the proxy.pac I can get web, weather, google maps working. But I cannot get mail to work.
    I am trying to connect to gmail over imap. Has anyone got that to work? also I find that it is very slow, a lot slower then when I was using the data connection on O2.

would like to hear your feedback?

Validis,

Speed doesn't seem to be zooming through the kilobytes... although, it's what I'd expect from a 2.5G Cellphone. Maps, weather, stocks and web are fast enough... some of the heavy websites are tedious, but I've got loads of pda specific sites I'm going to.
    And I'm happy enough not to use email... yet. I can still get gmail through web so I'm happy enough there. I am not going to over do the usage though, until I can confirm vodafone are charging me this service as the live.vodafone.com / €9.99 a month package. Otherwise we all know the cost of the per KB rip off.

Anyway... can't complain about speed just happy to have several more serious functions of the iPhone working via vodafone.live. The speeds seems consistent enough for me though.

Marv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

marvstrav wrote: »
    And I'm happy enough not to use email... yet. I can still get gmail through web so I'm happy enough there.

Is the web version working fine for you?
    I am able to log-in and see my mailbox. If I click on a message quickly after the inbox is displayed it also opens. But it looks like the session is lost very quickly, so as long I as wait a few seconds I can not do anything until I log-in again (the session is not even long enough to read a message with one or two sentences and go back to the inbox).

I was assuming this is because of the Vodafone WAP proxy. Are you not experiencing the same thing?

I have the same problem. The google reader works fine but slow. The email works , but if I leave it for a min it does sign me out. Its annoying having to keep entering your password.

Thanks, "glad" to know I am not the only one.
    Same for me Reader works but is a bit slow (nothing too awful though). It is also losing the sessions though, the reason why it is working is that it seems to be accessible even though you are not logged in.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is the web version working fine for you?
    I am able to log-in and see my mailbox. If I click on a message quickly after the inbox is displayed it also opens. But it looks like the session is lost very quickly, so as long I as wait a few seconds I can not do anything until I log-in again (the session is not even long enough to read a message with one or two sentences and go back to the inbox).

I was assuming this is because of the Vodafone WAP proxy. Are you not experiencing the same thing?

Hello lads,

Just did a little experiment... no problems holding on gmail for five minutes at a time... don't exactly know the issue you're having. For me, so far so good, no unexpected logging off issues.

I'm version 1.1.4 - though. Maybe there's a difference. Not certain. But just read, composed and sent an email via the 2.5G network no issues. No time outs yet either. Is there a Gmail setting you can alter? Or it might be a sporadic network area... I'm pretty much in City Centre so there are very few dead spots around me... that could be an issue with connectivity, Not certain though...

All the best,

Marv

Thanks for the test marvstrav. I am 1.1.4 as well so it must be something else.

My number 1 suspect is now the Vodafone parental filter that seems to be enabled on my account.

I realised that I can't access sites like facebook, bebo, and even boards.ie. validis_ is it the same for you?
    I will try to get Vodafone to disable it when I get the chance and let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

Thought i'd share my experience so far using Vodafone on my iphone.

Tried the various APN's listed on this thread and none worked for me.

So i ended up calling Vodafone Customer Support and i was very blunt.

Told them i had an iphone and i'd like to use internet and email etc on it.

The CSR transfered me to Tech Support (and may i add, the CSR didn't have a clue what an iphone was, she even asked me what the manufacturer was)

The Tech Support Analyst was very helpfull, but one thing she did say was that all the settings i need for internet on my mobile was already checked and i should be good to go.

She told me to use:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

So i put it in again (used that before and didn't work)

And this time it worked!, i was pleasently suprised, she must have checked a box somewhere because im pretty damn sure i tried the above before, but then again maybe i used .com and not .ie before and thats why?

Anyways, Now i can go online with my iphone but i still have a few issues:

YouTube: Keeps asking for an edge network (though theres an app i can download for that)

Downloading addon's/App's: Keeps giving me an error: "Download Packet Failed!" (Although it does download some things, it just wont download BSD Subsystems and you can imagine how crippling that is)

I've been looking around and i've tried various remedies, installing Community Source, refreshing all the sources, clearing queue, installing, clearing blah blah, rebooting iphone, adding new source url etc. Nothing seems to work at all.

I'm pretty stumped there with that error message, i figure its a server issue as i can download/install a few other apps but then again theres no other sources for BSD subsystems in particular that i can find so i cant test that. Also i'd say about 90% of the apps i tried to install gave me that Download Packet Failed error so it cant be a co-incidence.

I've contemplated just jailbreaking my iphone all over again and all the rest but i really cant be arsed with all that configuring and what not again (readding my music, files, contacts and general personalisation) and at the same time i've seen others re-jailbreak and they're still having the issue.

But anyways, i have most of the function of the iphone internet wise, its just pretty slow at times depending where you are and also very expensive as im a pay as you go customer, gonna have to bite the bullet and transfer over as a pay monthly customer and get that decent dataplan for 500mb/9.99 euro a month as well as normal pay monthly min plan for calls/txt's. Which will work around 30 euro in total a month assuming i dont go over the limit. (Looks much cheaper as today alone i've spent about 20 euro using internet on the iphone)

For reference: my iphone is 1.1.4 (Bought it in the States last week for 350 euros in total!, oh and have any of you tried just a simple thing like browsing through your photos?, christ its fantastic)

komsomol, the reason why you are paying so much is that you are using the isp APN instead of the live one. It is better in the way that it gives you direct Internet access with no need go through the annoying Vodafone Live proxy, but the bad news it that there is no data bundle for that one so it will always be too expansive (the 500 MB bundle you are looking at is for live, not for isp).

So anotherwords i have a choice of sticking with isp with full functionality and paying a crapload

or

getting a dataplan, paying less but with less functionality using vodafone live?

Does anyone here know exactly how much restrictions the vodafone live has in comparison to isp.vodafone.ie ?

komsomol,

I think this thread is about using APN: live.vodafone.com and to enable an iPhone so one does NOT have to lose functionality for the less expensive service.

Currently, many users who have implemented the proxy.pac file and preferences.plist file with live.vodafone.com are not losing any functionality compared to your description of service you are receiving from the more expensive service.

There may well be some sort of trade off but for the money live.vodafone.com is by far the better value and for my money it is not much of a trade off by way of services I am able to use.

YouTube is not a service I would want to use. Safari / web browsing, Weather, Maps, and webmail ARE... and they work pretty darn well with the procedure explained above in Lotas', Freddy's and the other previous threads under this subject.

So, you may want to bite the bullet (A soft Chewy bullet in this case) and get a monthly plan to avail of the live.vodafone.com service.

All the best,

Marv

Thanks for that Marv, sounds about right.

Pay Monthly here i come then.

Again, looks like Script Monkey here i come again as well.

God i hate fiddleing.

(no inuendos please)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

marvstrav wrote: »
    komsomol,
    Currently, many users who have implemented the proxy.pac file and preferences.plist file with live.vodafone.com

I'm trying to do this, but I've reached a hole in my knowledge - how do I put these files in certain places on my iphone? I presume there's a FTP client or something I should use, but if so what is it and where do I go to get it?

Apologies for the basic questions, but I'm stumped!

You need to have OpenSSH installed on your iPhone, and then you will be able to upload/download files to the phone with an SCP client.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You need to have OpenSSH installed on your iPhone, and then you will be able to upload/download files to the phone with an SCP client.

Thanks - have done some research (should have done this before posting here! apologies) I've got to the point where my WinSCP constantly gives me a "Connection refused" message. Any ideas as to how to fix this? I'm on 1.1.3

• Advertisement

TrueDub wrote: »
    Thanks - have done some research (should have done this before posting here! apologies) I've got to the point where my WinSCP constantly gives me a "Connection refused" message. Any ideas as to how to fix this? I'm on 1.1.3

Can you connect to the iPhone via SSH? If not it is probably a problem with OpenSSH. I guess you have done it already, but if not try to reboot the iPhone.

Also, you are trying to connect as root right? (the password is "alpine")

Hey. Here is a quick tutorial I wrote on how to make it work. Based on Mac OS as I have a Mac, but but as long as you have a Windows SCP client for Windows, it also gives you and idea of what to do.

Can you connect to the iPhone via SSH? If not it is probably a problem with OpenSSH. I guess you have done it already, but if not try to reboot the iPhone.

Also, you are trying to connect as root right? (the password is "alpine")

I realised that SSH was probably switched off, so I installed BossPrefs and used this to switch this on. I then connected to the phone, followed the instructions in this thread and Vodafone Live is working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Good stuff :)

For those of you who are having the same issue as me with the Gmail sessions, here is the solution (tested and approved): http://www.ben.geek.nz/iphone-google-reader-gmail-facebook-cookie-fix/

The problem doesn't actually have anything to do with Vodafone, but with wrong permissions on the cookies files on firmware 1.1.4.

Great , thanks for that,

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Hi

Just got the i-phone 1.1.4 8gb as a present, its unlocked and all.

Was on to vodafone yesterday and im getting connected to their broadband on the 14th of this month. Im going for the 15mb for €10 a month.

Not really great with computers or technology so dont really understand the above thread.

Can any one tell me will it be difficult to get it working on the phone and is it a good service?

Thanks

Its not that hard to get working , but we are getting 500mb for 9.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

how is that?

• Advertisement

Hi

Just got the i-phone 1.1.4 8gb as a present, its unlocked and all.

Was on to vodafone yesterday and im getting connected to their broadband on the 14th of this month. Im going for the 15mb for €10 a month.

Not really great with computers or technology so dont really understand the above thread.

Can any one tell me will it be difficult to get it working on the phone and is it a good service?

Thanks

Dear Gambler,

See above comments about isp.vodofone.ie versus live.vodafone.com

live.vodafone.com gives you 500MB (upload and download capacity) for €9.99. Ask for vodafone live package for 10 Euro not the isp package which is a total rip off. With the isp.vodafone.ie 15 Euro for 10MB package you'll use it up in less than a week of doing anything with your iphone.

Phone Vodafone 1907 and ask for the Vodafone Live package for €9.99 per month add-on for 500 MB of usage.

For getting it to work on your iPhone do the following steps.

If you have a text editor on your pc you can do this... I used TextEdit on my Macintosh, but any text editor will work.

1. Take this proxy.pac code and copy it.

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))
    return "PROXY 10.24.59.100:80";
    else
    return "DIRECT";
    }

2. Open a text editor (make sure that all documents in your text editor are PLAIN TEXT ONLY - Not rich text.

3. Open a plain text document in your text editor.

4. Paste - the copied proxy.pac info into your text editor.

5. Save - the text document as proxy.pac to an easily found folder on your PC

6. Now you must find your preferences.plist file on your iphone.

7. If you unlocked your iphone you have Installer application on it. This will allow you to download loads of apps including Open SSH or AFPd (for Macs). I use AFPd because it shows up pretty easily in my file browser.

8. Once you can see the files on your iPhone you need to navigate to private/var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

9. Copy this file to a safe location onto your Mac or PC.

Duplicate it somewhere safe on your HD just in case you screw this up.

10. Open the preferences.plist into a text editor as a plain text file.

11. Do a scroll down the file until you see
    dict>
    <key>Interface</key>
    <dict>
    <key>DeviceName</key>
    <string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <key>Type</key>
    </dict>
    <dict>

NOTE: if you do FIND TEXT or SEARCH TEXT and enter "ip1" without quotes it will take you to the proper area of the preferences.plist file very quickly.

NOTE 2: There is NEARLY identical text, prior to the lines of text that has "ip2" Make sure you do not insert the new code in the "ip2" area as it will not work properly.

12. Insert the following blue text in the lines of text below as shown.

dict>
    <key>Interface</key>
    <dict>
    <key>DeviceName</key>
    <string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <key>Type</key>
    </dict>
    <key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigURLString</key>
    <string>file:///var/mobile/proxy.pac</string>
    </dict>

<dict>
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Available</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Setup</key>
    <dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string>gprs.qtel</string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string>gprs</string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string>gprs</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    </dict>

NOTE: The preferences.plist is much longer than the code above. The code above is simply listed here for reference as to where to insert the code.

NOTE 2: Try to indent or Tab the newly inserted lines to match your existing preferences.plist lines.

13. Save - the new preferences.plist file as preferences.plist somewhere safe. Do not overwrite your "Safety" copy.

14. Using OpenSSH or AFPd connect to your iphone and
    place your proxy.pac file in
    /var/mobile directory

15. Take your preferences.plist file and place it in:

16. Take your preferences.plist file and also place it in:
    var/preferences/systemConfiguration/

17. The prefences.plist will point the iPhone to your proxy.pac file for live.vodafone.com

18. Then go to your iPhone settings / General / network / EDGE and insert the following:
    APN live.vodafone.com
    Username dublin
    Password dublin

19. Restart your iPhone and you should be able to connect to vodafonelive once you've subscribed to their service.

You must sign up with Voddafone for the Vodafone Live 500MB for €9.99 per month for this to work. It must also be activated...

Also don't freak out if you can't get this... or it doesn't work right away.
    You can always do a RESTORE iPhone - Re-Jailbreak your iPhone and try it again.

Good Luck

Marv

Advertisement