Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goverment spying on everything we do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Not any more.. just curious like most irish isps as far as I know already log everything for 5 years through some legal requirement. What sites we visit, when we visit them, etc. The data itself is not logged, example if u download a 4gb movie file, they wont log every bit of the file transferred just the fact that u have requested to begin the download.

It is a bit worrying alright but I dont see how its any different than the situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Isn't this against the law?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...and say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

So they are already doing it?

Thats crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nothing really to worry about, they will not know what to do with all the data that they collect and so it will just end up getting lost on a laptop left in the back of a taxi in a couple of months and then be up for grabs to the lowest bidder on ebay shortly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Draconian laws?
    The government has fantastic powers already.

People are still being charged with the Offences against the State Act.
    A law that was drawn up in 1939 and used to convict and hang people like IRA terrorists during WWII.

You can be convicted in the Special Criminal Court and sentanced to life without a jury. Usually three judges but it could also be three army officers, doesn't have to be judges.
    You can be convicted on the word of a senior garda.

We have strong laws in Ireland already OP, the problem is we don't have draconian enforcement.
    And I can't see this law being any different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Meh I couldn't give a ****. 'OMGzzz Arr was onza Bebo for 43 minutes taday lolz'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

tinfoil hat time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

they've been recording our phonecalls etc for a very long time. we have the most surveillance of any nation in europe apart from the uk.

probably the reason i'm in the uk at the moment - bored at not having every moment of my life recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No need to worry about the idiots in our Goverment doing anything with what they record.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Welcome to the Brave New World...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

As long as you're not viewing anything illegal you shouldn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

they've been recording our phonecalls etc for a very long time. we have the most surveillance of any nation in europe apart from the uk.

probably the reason i'm in the uk at the moment - bored at not having every moment of my life recorded.
    Says who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

There was a thread over in broadband a while back about this, I'm not sure people realize just how far this goes, this is from the directive
    Categories of data to be retained
    1. Member States shall ensure that the following categories of
    data are retained under this Directive:
    (a) data necessary to trace and identify the source of a
    communication:
    (1) concerning fixed network telephony and mobile
    telephony:
    (i) the calling telephone number;
    (ii) the name and address of the subscriber or registered
    user;
    (2) concerning Internet access, Internet e-mail and Internet
    telephony:
    (i) the user ID(s) allocated;
    (ii) the user ID and telephone number allocated to any
    communication entering the public telephone
    network;
    (iii) the name and address of the subscriber or registered
    user to whom an Internet Protocol (IP) address, user
    ID or telephone number was allocated at the time of
    the communication;
    (b) data necessary to identify the destination of a
    communication:
    (1) concerning fixed network telephony and mobile
    telephony:
    (i) the number(s) dialled (the telephone number(s)
    called), and, in cases involving supplementary services
    such as call forwarding or call transfer, the
    number or numbers to which the call is routed;
    (ii) the name(s) and address(es) of the subscriber(s) or
    registered user(s);
    13.4.2006 EN Official Journal of the European Union L 105/57
    (2) concerning Internet e-mail and Internet telephony:
    (i) the user ID or telephone number of the intended
    recipient(s) of an Internet telephony call;
    (ii) the name(s) and address(es) of the subscriber(s) or
    registered user(s) and user ID of the intended recipient
    of the communication;
    (c) data necessary to identify the date, time and duration of a
    communication:
    (1) concerning fixed network telephony and mobile telephony,
    the date and time of the start and end of the
    communication;
    (2) concerning Internet access, Internet e-mail and Internet
    telephony:
    (i) the date and time of the log-in and log-off of the
    Internet access service, based on a certain time zone,
    together with the IP address, whether dynamic or
    static, allocated by the Internet access service provider
    to a communication, and the user ID of the
    subscriber or registered user;
    (ii) the date and time of the log-in and log-off of the
    Internet e-mail service or Internet telephony service,
    based on a certain time zone;
    (d) data necessary to identify the type of communication:
    (1) concerning fixed network telephony and mobile telephony:
    the telephone service used;
    (2) concerning Internet e-mail and Internet telephony: the
    Internet service used;
    (e) data necessary to identify users’ communication equipment
    or what purports to be their equipment:
    (1) concerning fixed network telephony, the calling
    and called telephone numbers;
    (2) concerning mobile telephony:
    (i) the calling and called telephone numbers;
    (ii) the International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI)
    of the calling party;
    (iii) the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI)
    of the calling party;
    (iv) the IMSI of the called party;
    (v) the IMEI of the called party;
    (vi) in the case of pre-paid anonymous services, the date
    and time of the initial activation of the service and
    the location label (Cell ID) from which the service
    was activated;
    (3) concerning Internet access, Internet e-mail and Internet
    telephony:
    (i) the calling telephone number for dial-up access;
    (ii) the digital subscriber line (DSL) or other end point
    of the originator of the communication;
    (f) data necessary to identify the location of mobile communication
    equipment:
    (1) the location label (Cell ID) at the start of the
    communication;
    (2) data identifying the geographic location of cells by reference
    to their location labels (Cell ID) during the period
    for which communications data are retained.
    2. No data revealing the content of the communication may be
    retained pursuant to this Directive.

And the (well if your not doing anything wrong) argument doesn't float with me, I'm guessing in your day to day life you don't do anything wrong so does that mean you should be alright with someone tracking everything you do.
    Also what happens when the info is lost or stolen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I knew that someone would say this! Where's Jonathan Swift when you need him? He could parody this statement to the extreme, make us all laugh, while showing how the erosion of privacy rights for lawabiding citizens gradually occurs overtime with just such a justification.

Recently student government fought cams in the classrooms on our campus. The law enforcement types claimed that "if you are not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind being watched (spied upon) in your learning environment." Well, let's put a cam in the bedroom too, cause "if you are not doing something wrong, why should you mind?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

How does one 'log on' or 'log off the internet'?

I forsee anonymous proxies and onion routing systems becoming more and more popular as time goes on.

Yeah, there's no possible way the British government would have the resources to do the same (*cough* GCHQ) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If they do come onto this forum site then they'll prberly spend most of their time on the Politics forums. I doubt they're going to care about what we get up to on After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

I read that if you get a non EU email address,they won't be able to monitor your mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely the only mail they can monitor is if youre using your isps provided mail, eg eircom

theyre hardly going to be able to monitor gmail, or hotmail etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ah, don't you just love how our Government blow the tax payers money?

What I would give to see every Fianna Fail member and those who voted for them thrown into the gas chambers. Oh well, maybe some day...

Invincible wrote: »
    I read that if you get a non EU email address,they won't be able to monitor your mail.
    And the real name of the NSA is "No Such Agency...";)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rb_ie wrote: »

What I would give to see every Fianna Fail member and those who voted for them thrown into the gas chambers. Oh well, maybe some day...

That could well be your parents! And if not them, I'd gurantee someone in your family did, probably an older relation like an aunt or uncle.

So come off the internet hard man talk. Warrior behind a keyboard :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Sure the Americans,Canadians,Australians and British have been monitoring all our electronic communications since the 80s using ECHELON. It monitors millions of communications traffic in search of keywords.

TBH...I dont really care or mind. I loved the way there was bit of a hoha over the failings of the American intelligence angencies post 9/11,yet when thier intelligence gathering methods are revealed theres an outcry of privacy invasion.

I personally think theres so much going on in the world that we just dont know about....and the stuff that the media reports is only the tip of the iceberg..its the stuff we are being allowed to know.

But think about it,the world is a much safer place today than it was...so really if your not doing anything illegal you shouldnt have too much to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

micmclo wrote: »
    That could well be your parents! And if not them, I'd gurantee someone in your family did, probably an older relation like an aunt or uncle.

So come off the internet hard man talk. Warrior behind a keyboard :rolleyes:
    My parents are smarter than to vote for those clowns, I know who they voted for and it wasn't FF. My grandparents, for the most part, are dead. The one living grandparent wouldn't make it to a polling station.

If the rest of my relatives voted for FF, then they deserve the gas chambers. I'm not close to them, so by all means take 'em away to the camps and get it done.

Mirror wrote: »
    Says who?

It's an internet forum - stuff doesn't have to be true to be posted! Thought i heard that though. Isn't there some building on Stephens' Green that has been recording all calls, text messages etc for ages?

For example, in the Joe Reilly murder trial they were able to show all his phonecalls and text messages.
    FruitLover wrote: »

Yeah, there's no possible way the British government would have the resources to do the same (*cough* GCHQ) :rolleyes:

Actually meant that there is even more surveillance over here in the UK.

rb_ie wrote: »
    My parents are smarter than to vote for those clowns, I know who they voted for and it wasn't FF. My grandparents, for the most part, are dead. The one living grandparent wouldn't make it to a polling station.

If the rest of my relatives voted for FF, then they deserve the gas chambers. I'm not close to them, so by all means take 'em away to the camps and get it done.

All that you're saying here is that your family have been on the losing side of elections for a long time :D

FF have been in power for longer than any other political party in the country by a huge margin. The country isn't doing too bad. Maybe the party has flaws, and probably a lot of flaws, but they must have done something right.

We are probably the most successful economy in Europe. That is mainly due to ourselves, but it is also partially due to political circumstances.

People, by and large, don't make repeated mistakes. If FF had no benefits, then people would have learned this and moved on to another party.

/ the biggest problem imo is that all the opposition parties are crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

God be with the days when only the village operator was able to listen in to the trunk call and spread the gossip around the town ie, mary o sullivans brother tom is coming down from Dublin to inherit the farm ...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It won't be too long when every financial transaction you make will pinpoint your exact position on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Ah, that old chestnut. Please please go and read 1984.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

riot?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Clearly nobody read the thing, look at the end line
    2. No data revealing the content of the communication may be
    retained pursuant to this Directive.

So yeah they log numbers and what not (Your phone company does this anyways for billing, routing, cell location information which is necessary for the working of you mobile phone (Your mobile company knows where you are to within 100 meters) etc) but then this happens anyway.

They dont keep track of the contents of you emails or what websites you visit. SMS's would probably be retained mind (Redelivery etc)

Advertisement