Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius advice needed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Instantaneous fuel consumption monitors are mainly nonsense tbh. You're looking at a snapshot of your fuel consumption that isn't really of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Thanks man. I just read that it takes about 5-10 mins for it to heat and that's when I'm seeing the crappy mpg. Good to know.

The car is full of surprises, I did not expect to love it as much as I do.

So yesterday I drove 200kms home with the car and got 4.9/100kms. Majority of the ride home I noticed the highest it would go is about 12ltrs while accelerating etc.

So today I did my normal commute and at one stage while accelerating it was saying current fuel consumption would go as high as 25.5/100kms and would slowly come down.

Is that normal?

Yes it's perfectly normal, on most cars with a trip computer if you turn on the current consumption and accelerate it will show a much higher consumption than cruising speed because it takes more energy to accelerate than to cruise once you've built up speed.

Thanks so so much everyone! I absolutely love my car. My best friend loved it and is thinking of coming to the dark side.

Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Make up a few mp3 discs for the cd changer too.

• Advertisement

I've just bought a little tape adapter for the iPhone, it's fantastic.

Also - Fuel consumption has reduced. I'm driving to and from work this week. So far i'm measuring 4.7ltr / 100kms.

Really happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I got an 05 Prius Gen 2 about 6 weeks ago and it's great. My girlfriend drives it so she doesn't do the hypermiling stuff, but she still gets 58mpg. I've changed the oil and transmission fluid - both were black. I got a great bargain at but took a risk as the car doesn't have a Toyota service history, but I've confirmed that it has had the recalls done. I know that the battery is in good condition.

There are only a couple of niggles. The rear window is crap as the wipers don't clean nearly enough of the window and the visibility is poor anyway. The car is fairly long and a bit of a challenge to park well. The engine is surprisingly loud during acceleration, although apparently that's a drawback of the Atkinson cycle engines, they sound more like diesels.

Apart from those niggles it's smooth, comfortable, cheap to run and most importantly, automatic.

I've just bought a little tape adapter for the iPhone, it's fantastic.

Also - Fuel consumption has reduced. I'm driving to and from work this week. So far i'm measuring 4.7ltr / 100kms.

Really happy!

So far this week I'm @ 4.3 L/100 kms. and that includes a trip through the Wicklow Mountains from Carlow-Tullow-Gorey-Arklow-Avoca-Rathdrum-Laragh-Wicklow Gap-Hollywood-Dunlavin back on the old N9 home. And then work driving yesterday.

Winter will reduce that a bit, depends on how hot you have the interior I rarely have it past 20 degrees because I really don't like anything hotter.

Press ev mode at lights and if the engine and if the coolant and cat are warm enough it will allow you press ev mode.

Don;t drive in e.v mode, just use it for lights when the engine won't switch off automatically. Don't have the A/C on when you don;t need it because it takes power from the traction battery.

It still impresses me that I can still achieve the same mpg at 200,000 kms as when we got it at 74,000 Kms. The battery still seems to be in good health.

I got an 05 Prius Gen 2 about 6 weeks ago and it's great. My girlfriend drives it so she doesn't do the hypermiling stuff, but she still gets 58mpg. I've changed the oil and transmission fluid - both were black. I got a great bargain at but took a risk as the car doesn't have a Toyota service history, but I've confirmed that it has had the recalls done. I know that the battery is in good condition.

There are only a couple of niggles. The rear window is crap as the wipers don't clean nearly enough of the window and the visibility is poor anyway. The car is fairly long and a bit of a challenge to park well. The engine is surprisingly loud during acceleration, although apparently that's a drawback of the Atkinson cycle engines, they sound more like diesels.

Apart from those niggles it's smooth, comfortable, cheap to run and most importantly, automatic.

The engine is noisy under hard acceleration but that is because it's only 75 hp and about 85 lbs of torque.

The motor kicks in instantly when needed for an extra 300 lbs of torque. And you can feel when it kicks in when you hit the throttle and the torque kicks in without any increase of engine revs.

One good idea is not to let the main traction battery run too low because acceleration power comes from the engine generator, engine, and motor and power also comes from the battery and if the main battery is too low you will notice a loss of torque for acceleration.

I wouldn't call it diesel noisy, and 99% of the time it's a very smooth and quiet car far smoother than most diesels.

The MK III is a lot better though with more power, and a lot less engine noise. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Replacing the transmission oil was a very good idea and will no doubt help prolong the life of the motors, the gearbox or cvt is virtually indestructible and I have not heard of one failing yet. The box in the MK III is even simpler again as it does away with the chain.

Some people don't like the cvt but you can't beat it for smoothness. They are much better with higher powered engines.

The rear window isn't great for visibility but for someone who drove vans for years, it's something that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It's a decent size car and one of the reasons I'm still amazed by it's fuel economy especially being a petrol automatic. A lot of manual diesel drivers of modern smaller cars struggle to get 55 mpg and the MK II prius can get 64 mpg using 10 year old hybrid tech.

BTW the Prius II has 110 total HP and 380 Lb torque, mainly the traction motor that provides the torque. Roughly 10-10.5 seconds 0-100 KPh

Prius III has 130 total HP, not so sure about torque. but about 9-9.5 seconds 0-100.

• Advertisement

Hah, wrote this 7 years ago. Only got rid of the Prius last July, bought an Aqua, smaller but a lot more modern, quieter and efficient. Mk2 engine, Mk3 hybrid system and battery.

Long live hybrids!

Hah, wrote this 7 years ago. Only got rid of the Prius last July, bought an Aqua, smaller but a lot more modern, quieter and efficient. Mk2 engine, Mk3 hybrid system and battery.

Long live hybrids!

What's an Aqua ?

Did you check out EV before you got another hybrid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's an Aqua ?

Did you check out EV before you got another hybrid ?

Aqua is the Japanese name for what’s also known as Prius c in some other countries it was available in. It’s basically a Prius, but Yaris sized. I think it’s been discontinued outside Japan at this stage, replaced with an actual Yaris hybrid.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Aqua is the Japanese name for what’s also known as Prius c in some other countries it was available in. It’s basically a Prius, but Yaris sized. I think it’s been discontinued outside Japan at this stage, replaced with an actual Yaris hybrid.

Size is halfway between a Yaris and a Prius. I should know, I have a Yaris too. Yeah it's been discontinued but so has the Mk2 and 3. It was a bargain, it's a great car and it has all the normal Toyota parts. The Aqua is built from off the shelf components - the Mk2 engine, Mk3 hybrid system and infotainment with a few Yaris bits for good measure.

No I didn't consider an EV as the EV fanboy clique puts me off and I don't want to have to put my car on life support every fecking time I need to get somewhere. It's like buying an extra toddler for green enviro-penance. I need to refuel in 2 mins or less.

Plus these EV types seem to have infinite money, whereas mine is finite and I don't see to need to piss it away on envirocoolness. The world is going to get warmer and it'll be nice to have the warmer weather until a hypercane kills us all.

I'll buy one when I get a comb-over.

Size is halfway between a Yaris and a Prius. I should know, I have a Yaris too. Yeah it's been discontinued but so has the Mk2 and 3. It was a bargain, it's a great car and it has all the normal Toyota parts. The Aqua is built from off the shelf components - the Mk2 engine, Mk3 hybrid system and infotainment with a few Yaris bits for good measure.

No I didn't consider an EV as the EV fanboy clique puts me off and I don't want to have to put my car on life support every fecking time I need to get somewhere. It's like buying an extra toddler for green enviro-penance. I need to refuel in 2 mins or less.

Plus these EV types seem to have infinite money, whereas mine is finite and I don't see to need to piss it away on envirocoolness. The world is going to get warmer and it'll be nice to have the warmer weather until a hypercane kills us all.

I'll buy one when I get a comb-over.

That was entertaining reading ! :D

Ah us EV drivers aren't that bad, I'm in no clique either, hate cliques especially at work, I just drive EV because it suits me and having free work charging means I have around 200-220 a month more to put towards the car repayments which with the new id.3 will be 530 pm so if I had to pay the same for a diesel that would add another 200 odd to my monthly costs. I got mostly free work charging and with the new much larger battery car I can benefit even more from work charging as I have much more storage.

I don't drive EV because I think it's going to help reduce the effects of climate change, in fact I think anthropogenic climate change is a load of nonsense. Anything we do on this small Island will always have no effect, the real issues I see around me are pollution form plastics and rubbish tipping but I do favour the reduction of actual harmful emissions from car exhaust and an all out ban on smoky coal, this is real harmful, Co2 is a harmless gas essential for life.

There's no convincing the inconvincible either and I don't try, at least I don't any more, if someone asks me about how I find driving an ev I tell them it suits me fine. But when I have the range of the id.3 with much larger battery it will be a game changer, how I find it on trips to the South West, West and North West of the Island with a poor charging infrastructure is another matter because currently with the i3 if I need more range or there's a charging queue I just turn on the generator and drive off so how will I find having 140-170 kms with generator to having 400-500 Kms and no generator is anyone's guess.

There's no convincing you if you need to refuel in 2 mins or less then you need to refuel in 2 mins or less, then pay, another 5 mins at least, but I think I can stop for 20-30 mins for a rest and some food after 400-500 kms the question is how fast the infrastructure will get installed, I mean a network of proper high power charging hubs ?

Advertisement