Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    Laois got a big beating yesterday against Westmeath. Fermanagh will have no pressure next week and might give it a lash. Tomas Corrigan started today against Clare, he wasn't involved earlier in the League or last year. He played very well by all accounts.
    Eoin Donnelly and Ryan Jones are good at midfiel, scoring was Fermanghs problem. Maybe Corrigan will ease that.

Yes Faulkner could be back in defence to pick up Conor Cox next week. Or maybe they'll bring in Clarke.

There were very few teams with 3 debutants yesterday and others coming off the bench. That said, I was disappointed with some of the more established players. Martin Reilly and Gerry Smith were poor for example I thought.

A big performance is needed next week but I’d hope players like James Smith, Oisin Pierson, Stephen Murray and Killian Clarke might be available by then.

I’d be hoping Conor Cox won’t even start as the Rossies are promoted but they may wish to get match time into players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Why was James Smith not playing yesterday, is he injured?

It’s a sad state of affairs expecting a 33 year old Martin Reilly to carry us to wins, will he have to play into his forties.
    If only the younger lads had the same dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭celt262

tanko wrote: »

It’s a sad state of affairs expecting a 33 year old Martin Reilly to carry us to wins, will he have to play into his forties.

Was there any crosserlough lads there yesterday?

Didn’t get to see the game but i don’t think there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭rrs

A few of the Crosserlough players got covid following the the celebrations. Drinking out of the Cup wasn't the best move.
    They would have been in isolation for 14 days. Maybe back in panel next week.

Not sure the situation with Niall McDermott, There was covid in Ballinagh too, but Timoney was involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Cavan_King wrote: »
    There were very few teams with 3 debutants yesterday and others coming off the bench. That said, I was disappointed with some of the more established players. Martin Reilly and Gerry Smith were poor for example I thought.

A big performance is needed next week but I’d hope players like James Smith, Oisin Pierson, Stephen Murray and Killian Clarke might be available by then.

I’d be hoping Conor Cox won’t even start as the Rossies are promoted but they may wish to get match time into players.

Technically we are still not promoted, also I cannot see Cunningham playing a weakened side in any way, it's the last game before Mayo in 2 weeks (even though its unlikely championship will happen). There is colossal competition for places even on the bench, outside of Niall Mcinerney and a couple debutants this year we have absolutely everybody else who would be involved all on board. Conor Daly and Donie Smith may or may not be carrying injuries into the game, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭celt262

Yevon wrote: »
    I don't think McDermott is on the panel.

Would a drop to Division 3 and the second tier all Ireland offer us an opportunity to rebuild? If we could get back Clarke, Moynagh and McVeety next year and keep the lads we have. Perhaps get back promising lads like Caoimhin Reilly and Conor Rehill. We could make a good run at a Division 3 title and a second Tier All Ireland. If we got these lads something tangible to build on they might have a better chance to capture an Ulster title.

God no staying in Division 2 and playing higher quality opposition and try get promotion to division 1 next year with them lads hopefully back would be getting you better prepared for an assault on Ulster.

The second tier could be the Tommy Murphy cup from years ago with very little interest.

No, better to try and at least establish as a a Division 2 team. Another year of Division 2 with players back, would be the way to build.

On paper, Division 2 next year will look stronger then this year. Meath with one of Monaghan /Tyrone /Mayo and from Division 3 Cork and probaly Down.

Going down to Division 3 would be a disaster. Cavan have been rebuilding basically ever year, there would be a turnover again if went to Div 3.

No, better to try and at least establish as a a Division 2 team. Another year of Division 2 with players back, would be the way to build.

On paper, Division 2 next year will look stronger then this year. Meath with one of Monaghan /Tyrone /Mayo and from Division 3 Cork and probaly Down.

Going down to Division 3 would be a disaster. Cavan have been rebuilding basically ever year, there would be a turnover again if went to Div 3.

I firmly believe we bottomed out in 2012 when we couldn’t beat a poor Offaly team at home and should have been relegated to Division 4 but other results went our way.

We need to stay in Division 2 and hopefully we’ll be able to get our best players back on the pitch and get some of the supporting players to provide support.

tanko wrote: »

I firmly believe he should be an impact sub and not a starter.

• Advertisement

Disagree on Martin Reilly. He's not showing any decline physically yet. He ran the show against Laois before lockdown. Man of the match in our first championship game last year. I don't see anybody else on the panel that can offer what he does.

I’m not knocking him, I think it’s incredible that he’s still putting the time and effort into it but why aren’t there more players like him coming through.

I don't his age should be issue. He'd be one of the fittest in there. He'd know how to prepare and look after himself, was with Burnley from 16 to 19. The younger players should be looking up to him, in how he trains and stays committed.

Conor McManus and Darren Hughes are 33 also. Most Counties have a few with experience. Neil McGee still performing with Donegal, 35.

The game against Roscommon live on TG4 Saturday, 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

A few of the Crosserlough players got covid following the the celebrations. Drinking out of the Cup wasn't the best move.
    They would have been in isolation for 14 days. Maybe back in panel next week.

Not sure the situation with Niall McDermott, There was covid in Ballinagh too, but Timoney was involved.

A few??? Nearly everyone of them.

A few was just slip of the tongue. Most would have had it

James Smith back in the reckoning this weekend.Thomas Galligan, Killian Clarke, Stephen Murray and Oisin Pierson all back as well.

Disagree on Martin Reilly. He's not showing any decline physically yet. He ran the show against Laois before lockdown. Man of the match in our first championship game last year. I don't see anybody else on the panel that can offer what he does.

Man of the match vs Monaghan alright but what did he offer in our other 4 championship games? Not much from what I remember.

Good game against Laois but anonymous in other League matches.

I honestly think it’s time he reverted to a role as an impact sub. He’s not performing consistently enough to hold a starting place.

Strongly disagree that he's been anonymous. The team has some obvious passengers and I don't think Martin Reilly is one of them. Who would you drop him for?
    Personally, I don't see anybody on the bench that you could trust to drop into any area on the pitch and have the same athletic ability, speed and composure on the ball.
    We will surely see a decline from Martin at some point that will limit his role but in my opinion it has yet to come.

Apparently up to 13 Roscommon players will be missing for Saturday's game due to a positive case on one of the buses that travelled to Armagh last weekend.

Could be a good boost for Cavan, with Roscommon almost certainly promoted if they were down a few of their starting team maybe we could catch them. Don't expect anything easy from them though no matter what team they send out.

If I was to pick 15 to play Monaghan now, of those I know are on the panel, I’d most likely go with:

Galligan
    McLoughlin
    Faulkner
    Cusack (Do a man marking job on McManus)
    Brady
    Clarke
    Gerry Smith
    James Smith
    Thomas Galligan
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Niall Murray
    Chris Conroy
    Oisin Pierson
    Cormac O’Reilly
    Conor Smith

I doubt Niall Murray will be fit though. That line up would leave the likes of Reilly, Madden and Stephen Murray available to come on.

I’m sure I’m forgetting someone obvious but that’s the 15 comes into my head right now.

I’m a firm believer that you need players on the bench that can change the game. That was our issue against Clare. Stephen Murray, in particular, started the game so wasn’t there to spring from the bench.

They made a good point on the podcast, about lack of kickers in the team from deep. A lot of players carry the ball, soloing and then turning back. Timoney is a very good passer. Oisin Kiernan can give good passes.

The full forwards line were showing well last week, but some of the play was quite slow.

They made a good point on the podcast, about lack of kickers in the team from deep. A lot of players carry the ball, soloing and then turning back. Timoney is a very good passer. Oisin Kiernan can give good passes.

The full forwards line were showing well last week, but some of the play was quite slow.

Haven’t listened to the full podcast yet. I started last night and got tired with their rambling about Covid again.

Our play has been slow for years now. With the team above, I would be encouraging the half back line to run at the opposition as much as possible, along with the midfield.

There’s loads of running in G Smith and Brady.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about looking up to give a quick ball. Ciaran Brady last week was head down soloing the ball, when he could have released it quicker. He'd not the only one. McKiernan does it too.

Running with pace is good, but you need to vary it up. The Corofin team that were winning All Irelands gave a great exhibition of kick passing. Joyce was bringing that into the Galwag team, last week one to forget for them

I'm talking about looking up to give a quick ball. Ciaran Brady last week was head down soloing the ball, when he could have released it quicker. He'd not the only one. McKiernan does it too.

Running with pace is good, but you need to vary it up. The Corofin team that were winning All Irelands gave a great exhibition of kick passing. Joyce was bringing that into the Galwag team, last week one to forget for them

You need a mix of runners and kickers on any team and I think there were enough people in there could kick the ball if they had planned for it tactically.
    As I said, slow laboured football has been a mark of Cavan for a few years now. Our teams are risk averse and unfortunately that is not going to change overnight.

Interesting how loud the Rossies are being about their Covid cases yet Mickey stayed relatively quiet about ours last week.

Well the Rossies have 13 players, plus the manager Cunnigham and the selectors not able to travel either.

Cavan have to put in a good performance. They have Monaghan the following week so it's all business now. Monaghan have to get a result v Meath so they'll have to select a strong team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is this game on tv lads?

Is this game on tv lads?

TG4 at 2. And if you download the Northern Sound app you should be able to get English commentary and put the tv on mute!
    Well the Rossies have 13 players, plus the manager Cunnigham and the selectors not able to travel either.

Cavan have to put in a good performance. They have Monaghan the following week so it's all business now. Monaghan have to get a result v Meath so they'll have to select a strong team too.

It’s interesting how vocal some teams are being about missing players. Cavan were missing a few last week and don’t seem to have been half as loud as the Rossies about it.

The Roscommon situation was caused while travelling back on 2 separate buses. It happened on County duty.
    Cavan were missing some players because they thought it was a good idea to drink out of the Cup celebrating County final. Then passed on to others.

The Ballyjamesduff area with the highest incidence of covid 19 in Ireland. 1,488 per 100, 000

The Roscommon situation was caused while travelling back on 2 separate buses. It happened on County duty.
    Cavan were missing some players because they thought it was a good idea to drink out of the Cup celebrating County final. Then passed on to others.

The Ballyjamesduff area with the highest incidence of covid 19 in Ireland. 1,488 per 100, 000

I think you’re being fairly harsh there. Not everyone missing is because of county final celebrations.

One player for example is a teacher and has been in contact with a student that had Covid.

I’m sure there are other cases like this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Back to the game at hand. Slightly worried that all the talk about the Rossies missing 13 players could leave us feeling over confident. They have a very strong panel (much stronger than pre-Covid) and whoever they put out will be playing for starting places in the championship.

No idea on who is back, but ideally if all are fit I would have Clarke at full back, Faulkner at centre half back, Thomas Galligan and James Smith in the middle, Gearoid on the 40. Conroy at half forward for his frees.

The Gunner and Jason as corner backs. Holla & Gerry Smith as half back, Oisin Kiernan the other half forward. Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith and Madden at full forward. Pierson, Martin Reilly, Mc Govern and Stephen Smith as impact subs.

Looking forward to this!

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I think you’re being fairly harsh there. Not everyone missing is because of county final celebrations.

One player for example is a teacher and has been in contact with a student that had Covid.

I’m sure there are other cases like this too.

I said some players. Not all.

• Advertisement

Back to the game at hand. Slightly worried that all the talk about the Rossies missing 13 players could leave us feeling over confident. They have a very strong panel (much stronger than pre-Covid) and whoever they put out will be playing for starting places in the championship.

No idea on who is back, but ideally if all are fit I would have Clarke at full back, Faulkner at centre half back, Thomas Galligan and James Smith in the middle, Gearoid on the 40. Conroy at half forward for his frees.

The Gunner and Jason as corner backs. Holla & Gerry Smith as half back, Oisin Kiernan the other half forward. Cormac Reilly, Conor Smith and Madden at full forward. Pierson, Martin Reilly, Mc Govern and Stephen Smith as impact subs.

Looking forward to this!

Your team is fairly similar to mine above but I reversed Faulkner & Clarke. I also think Danny Cusack is worth giving playing time. Best man marker I have seen in a long time in the county and I would have him in mind for McManus. Gunner Brady a great servant but struggled badly last week.

Why would you leave Oisin Pierson on the bench? He was our best forward pre Covid. I think Madden is better coming on as an impact sub.

Stephen Smith is a player I don’t rate. I’ve seen him in various different games and can’t see what he offers. A good club player but not county level.

Advertisement