Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tacklebox wrote: »
    We're all hypocritical now and again.
    I could say you're attacking me by saying im attacking a poster.
    The last time I attacked a poster was when I used my sister's Bros poster as a dart board.
    Anyhow I think I'll leave it there.
    Thanks for your opinion, it's ok for me to be put in my place.
    I admit I can be a bit hypocritical, it's probably after shocks of depression and anxiety over the years.
    As I don't always get it right.
    I think battling a mental illness can be hard at times, but I am appreciative of your head's up with me being a hypocrite.

My apologies if I seemed to be having a go, not the intent and I guess we all have our struggles. Getting it wrong as often as not is one of the things I quite like about these discussions, something I do frequently, and is the difference in my mind between a conversation (even a heated one!) and being preached at from the pulpit. Best of luck with your own battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

There's no point in debating with someone who's emotionally unstable and unable to understand what a debate is.

So its ok for you to say the this^^
    ...it's probably after shocks of depression and anxiety over the years.

But then when you say this ^^ we are all supposed to give you a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

....... wrote: »
    So its ok for you to say the this^^

But then when you say this ^^ we are all supposed to give you a free pass?

You have me snookered, you've two free shots...

Just don't hit the red ball....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

and [...] moderate.
    I get the strong sense that you're more interested in complaining than contributing.

If you'd like to contribute to this discussion, then please do so, politely. If you don't want to contribute, or can't contribute politely, then please go have a cup of cocoa and come back tomorrow in a more cheerful frame of mind. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

robindch wrote: »
    I get the strong sense that you're more interested in complaining than contributing.

If you'd like to contribute to this , then please do so, politely. If you don't want to contribute, or can't contribute politely, then please go have a cup of cocoa and come back tomorrow in a more cheerful frame of mind. Thanks.

I have not been impolite. I have disagreed with your moderation of A&A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But if someone is driven by emotion rather than intellect, in my opinion a loose cannon comes to mind.

So if a black person got upset because somebody made the comment that all black people are child abusing rapists you'd think they are a loose cannon?

Seems a strange view for you to have....

What ever happened to rule 1 of boards? "don't be a dick".

This includes towards your fellow human beings. Attacking somebody's parenting ability purely based on there sexual preferences because you hold bigoted views is very much so being a dick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What's the gentleman's forum got to do with anything ?

It looks like you're unable to differentiate between debate and a fight.

I read through some of your posting history,and you're forever offended and winding a lot of posters up.

So in effect, I would never engage with someone on a forum who's emotionally driven by debate rather than intellectually.

Thus every one is entitled to say what they like, I respect your freedom to say what you mean and mean what you say.

I'm not here to get infractions or banned from board's, but it seems futile debating with someone who is frequently involved in some one getting infractions or a ban.

But if someone is driven by emotion rather than intellect, in my opinion a loose cannon comes to mind.

I'm emotional but you go looking up my posting history and then launch a tirade against me.
    How very ironic.
    It also smacks of the old sexist retort so common to every woman who speaks her mind - I don't like what this woman is saying therefore I will have a rant where I accuse her of being emotional while I claim to hold the intellectual high ground.

As for that highlighted bit - interestingly you are the second person with a low post count to accuse me of this since I returned to Boards. What a coinky dinks. Also complete and utter tosh. In fact, I would like to see your evidence.

It should make interesting reading to see how I, an ordinary poster, can get someone else infracted or banned. Only Mods have that 'power' -and that 'power' is defined by forum charters so if people get sanctioned it is no-ones fault but their own. People get banned because they have been deemed by mods to have broken the rules - not because of the actions of another poster. If they get 'wound up' perhaps they should park their emotions and respond intellectually.

I am sorry to hear you suffer from anxiety and depression. Many here have battled the Black Dog, myself included, - however, that does not give you the right to launch a personal attack and accuse me of being "frequently involved in some one getting infractions or a ban". If you (or anyone else) don't agree with what I say - and you are perfectly free to do so - you should follow your own advice and offer a counter argument not be so "driven by emotion rather than intellect" that you launch a personal attack like some kind of loose cannon.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I have to log off for a while Rob but I'll get back to this tonight.

I logged on to respond to this tonight Rob only to encounter a personal attack on me so I think I'll leave it for now.

I'm emotional but you go looking up my posting history and then launch a tirade against me.
    How very ironic.
    It also smacks of the old sexist retort so common to every woman who speaks her mind - I don't like what this woman is saying therefore I will have a rant where I accuse her of being emotional while I claim to hold the intellectual high ground.

As for that highlighted bit - interestingly you are the second person with a low post count to accuse me of this since I returned to Boards. What a coinky dinks. Also complete and utter tosh. In fact, I would like to see your evidence.

It should make interesting reading to see how I, an ordinary poster, can get someone else infracted or banned. Only Mods have that 'power' -and that 'power' is defined by forum charters so if people get sanctioned it is no-ones fault but their own. People get banned because they have been deemed by mods to have broken the rules - not because of the actions of another poster. If they get 'wound up' perhaps they should park their emotions and respond intellectually.

I am sorry to hear you suffer from anxiety and depression. Many here have battled the Black Dog, myself included, - however, that does not give you the right to launch a personal attack and accuse me of being "frequently involved in some one getting infractions or a ban". If you (or anyone else) don't agree with what I say - and you are perfectly free to do so - you should follow your own advice and offer a counter argument not be so "driven by emotion rather than intellect" that you launch a personal attack like some kind of loose cannon.

Nobody is attacking anybody, like I said the last time I ever attacked a poster was when I used my sister's poster as a Dart board.

Boys will be boys, I'm sure you've heard that.
    You've also used men and rape as an analogy and brought the gentleman's forum into one of your responses towards myself....

You could have used a more pc metaphor than that, but sure the good old men thing is what you use as a weapon.
    It also uses the old sexist retort to bring up men's issues while comparing like with like.
    Another thing is you've slagged me off about something to do with jellybabies and then edited your post.
    I seen that.

It's very unusual alright for someone with a low count to so called accuse you of whatever....and then a second one that's even moreso unusual.

Nobody attacked anyone, that's for sure.

What I notice here is some of ye seem to back each other up, then try to converge like predators to push someone out of the discussion.

I even see a moderator get it too here.

You say you're sorry to hear that I suffered, SUFFERED from depression then keep up the rant...

Well thanks for the sorry bit.

But sure we'll leave it at that yeah.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if a black person got upset because somebody made the comment that all black people are child abusing rapists you'd think they are a loose cannon?

Seems a strange view for you to have....

What ever happened to rule 1 of boards? "don't be a dick".

This includes towards your fellow human beings. Attacking somebody's parenting ability purely based on there sexual preferences because you hold bigoted views is very much so being a dick.

It wasn't me who attacked someone over their parenting ability, I think you got that wrong.

I never discussed people's sexuality or people's parenting ability on any forum on board's.

And if you think I'm a dick that's ok, you're entitled to do so.
    I'm not offended.

I never said anything about what you said in the first paragraph either....

Bringing in sex crime's and abuse scenarios say's more about the depths of depravity you and someone else have lowered yourselves to, you use the sex thing to make a comparison. I'm just saying somone is over sensitive, argumentative and a loose cannon...

Look up attack in the dictionary, it doesn't match opinion or suggestions...

Your call mate

• Advertisement

Nobody is attacking anybody, like I said the last time I ever attacked a poster was when I used my sister's poster as a Dart board.

Boys will be boys, I'm sure you've heard that.
    You've also used men and rape as an analogy and brought the gentleman's forum into one of your responses towards myself....

You could have used a more pc metaphor than that, but sure the good old men thing is what you use as a weapon.
    It also uses the old sexist retort to bring up men's issues while comparing like with like.
    Another thing is you've slagged me off about something to do with jellybabies and then edited your post.
    I seen that.

It's very unusual alright for someone with a low count to so called accuse you of whatever....and then a second one that's even moreso unusual.

Nobody attacked anyone, that's for sure.

What I notice here is some of ye seem to back each other up, then try to converge like predators to push someone out of the discussion.

I even see a moderator get it too here.

You say you're sorry to hear that I suffered, SUFFERED from depression then keep up the rant...

Well thanks for the sorry bit.

But sure we'll leave it at that yeah.

You are free to disagree with me and provide a counter-argument. Not trawl through my posting history and drag references to other threads, or take my words out of context, to fuel a tirade.

I notice you have provided no evidence for my amazing ability to get people banned.

You are free to report any of my posts you have an issue with and let the mods decide if I have committed an offence deserving a sanction.

What you are not free to do is use depression as an excuse to attack other posters. If what I write impacts on your mental health I would very much urge you to put me on ignore for your own peace of mind as I will not be changing either my opinion or posting style.

You are free to disagree with me and provide a counter-argument. Not trawl through my posting history and drag references to other threads, or take my words out of context, to fuel a tirade.

I notice you have provided no evidence for my amazing ability to get people banned.

You are free to report any of my posts you have an issue with and let the mods decide if I have committed an offence deserving a sanction.

What you are not free to do is use depression as an excuse to attack other posters. If what I write impacts on your mental health I would very much urge you to put me on ignore for your own peace of mind as I will not be changing either my opinion or posting style.

Beannsidhe, I think we are probably indifferent.
    I don't think you're a bad person, and I admire your gusto and you're passionate strong and courageous.

I'm passionate too myself, and emotional and I'm not always right.
    If I offended you in anyway I'm sorry, I observe things and don't always get it right.
    So I wish you well, and I won't read into your post's in a negative way again.
    Even if I don't agree with you.

Sometimes one read's something and it hits a nerve, and I think it's admirable the way you love your son etc... I've a 17 year old myself.
    I think some posters think I was opiniated about something to do with same sex couples and kids etc, far from it.

My bad

Beannsidhe, I think we are probably indifferent.
    I don't think you're a bad person, and I admire your gusto and you're passionate strong and courageous.

I'm passionate too myself, and emotional and I'm not always right.
    If I offended you in anyway I'm sorry, I observe things and don't always get it right.
    So I wish you well, and I won't read into your post's in a negative way again.
    Even if I don't agree with you.

Sometimes one read's something and it hits a nerve, and I think it's admirable the way you love your son etc... I've a 17 year old myself.
    I think some posters think I was opiniated about something to do with same sex couples and kids etc, far from it.

My bad

Thanks Tackle - may I call you Tackle?

Shall we agree to leave it as we are both guilty of dragging this thread off topic and getting hot under the collar.

I really do wish you all the best in your struggle with depression and urge you to avoid things (myself included) that can tip that delicate balance you often have to walk. No randomer on the internet is worth your mental health being interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

No randomer on the internet is worth your mental health being interfered with.

I suggest this be used as thread sub-heading. Best advice given here so far.

Thanks Tackle - may I call you Tackle?

Shall we agree to leave it as we are both guilty of dragging this thread off topic and getting hot under the collar.

I really do wish you all the best in your struggle with depression and urge you to avoid things (myself included) that can tip that delicate balance you often have to walk. No randomer on the internet is worth your mental health being interfered with.

Agreed :)

Thanks for making peace, folks - much obliged - coffee and cake's on me!

475295.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

What of those who are cake-intolerant? Who don't like coffee?

Banned. Forever.

Banned. Forever.

Coco is another option :D

Banned. Forever.

Ah c'mon, banning requires something way more heinous

170221095659-president-of-iceland-wants-to-ban-pineapple-pizza.jpg

smacl wrote: »
    Tread carefully - you're cruisin' for a carding posting that kind of image here.

• Advertisement

Pineapple on a pizza is more than a card.

It's a siteban, on your LIFE.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone want me to post that pic of apple on a pizza again?

Life ain't always empty.

170221095659-president-of-iceland-wants-to-ban-pineapple-pizza.jpg

MY EYES! MY EYES!!

:mad:

runs away from A&A again....

So, a major pain point to this process is the ignore list.

Poster A states they never said statement A, despite evidence to the contrary suggesting that they did in fact say statement A, let's call their denial "statement B".

Poster B attempts to disprove Poster A's statement B by referencing Poster A's previous statement "A" with a quoted post from Poster A's history.

Poster B has used this method numerous times to get Poster A to engage openly, honestly and in good faith, Poster A puts Poster B on the ignore list, as due to this new charter, they would have to redact their falsehood of statement B, so the easy way out and to avoid moderator action (and continue to post their contradictions and engage in poor faith) is to put Poster B on the ignore list.

I think this should be addressed, as it is detrimental to a progressive discussion for one particular user to run and hide from hard questions that highlight their discrepancies in posting on this discussion ("i never said that, that's not what I meant, not relevant, doesn't apply).

Can a CMod step in and discuss this further?

Same poster, same tactics, same behaviour that they seem to be allowed to get away with sitewide with no consequences.

Its beyond tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Did any mod get back about changing the much maligned rule to the process I suggested here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Poster A states they never said statement A, despite evidence to the contrary suggesting that they did in fact say statement A, let's call their denial "statement B".

Poster B attempts to disprove Poster A's statement B by referencing Poster A's previous statement "A" with a quoted post from Poster A's history.

Poster B has used this method numerous times to get Poster A to engage openly, honestly and in good faith, Poster A puts Poster B on the ignore list, as due to this new charter, they would have to redact their falsehood of statement B, so the easy way out and to avoid moderator action (and continue to post their contradictions and engage in poor faith) is to put Poster B on the ignore list.

I think this should be addressed, as it is detrimental to a progressive discussion for one particular user to run and hide from hard questions that highlight their discrepancies in posting on this discussion ("i never said that, that's not what I meant, not relevant, doesn't apply).

I see that he/she has been liberally spouting this in t'other thread to yet again avoid difficult questions. Honestly hate to see that poster join a thread at this stage because i know that within 5 pages it's going to go downhill rapidly and any meaningful discussion will be lost.

This is an excellent point. If you have a poster who is basically here to soapbox rather than engage honestly, they could simply put anyone they didn't like the cut of on ignore and spam the forum on the pretext that they weren't aware of any challenges to their posts.

While it's not doubt a pain in the aras for the mods, it possibly makes sense to report any posts that can be reasonably considered soap-boxing on the basis the offending poster might be ignoring you.

While it's not doubt a pain in the aras for the mods...

Ive no idea why the moderators cannot simply, you know, moderate, and deal with this poster and their ongoing tactics in the normal manner.

Why it has become such a convoluted process is beyond me.

Not only is the poster succeeding in their number 1 objective, shutting down meaningful discussion, they are being provided with acres of entertainment watching people try to reason with mods as to why they should be moderated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

This is an excellent point. If you have a poster who is basically here to soapbox rather than engage honestly, they could simply put anyone they didn't like the cut of on ignore and spam the forum on the pretext that they weren't aware of any challenges to their posts.

they could but what would they gain from it ultimately. eventually they may end up with everyone on ignore which i should think would be pointless surely? i can't imagine there would be any point in posting to one's self personally.
    While it's not doubt a pain in the aras for the mods, it possibly makes sense to report any posts that can be reasonably considered soap-boxing on the basis the offending poster might be ignoring you.

in theory i agree, but there can be many different reasons for putting someone on ignore or simply breaking off engagement. they won't always be simply to ignore a point being made. how do we differentiate between all types of posters who may use the ignore function, or just simply break off engagement? some people won't use the ignore function because they see the quoted posts of the ignored poster anyway. but they would have had to break off engagement with a poster due to say, uncivil and abusive behaviour to them from the poster they have had to break off engagement with, across other parts of the site.
    there are a lot of variables involved here and how we implement something that can take them all into account i don't know. i'm not sure we even can, but maybe it is possible.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement