Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacist salary?

Options

Comments

RobFowl wrote: »
    The clue to this forum is in the ie bit of boards.ie......

So we can only discuss things that are happening in Ireland? I would just like some clarification from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would have to agree with Dazzler. It seems unreasonable not to be allowed to compare differences in health care strategies across countries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So we can only discuss things that are happening in Ireland? I would just like some clarification from yourself.

Firstly I wasn't posting as a moderator in that post !
    Secondly this tihread is about pharmacist salaries in Ireland, if you want a thread on antibiotic prescribing by pharmacists throughout the world then start a thread on it !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I would have to agree with Dazzler. It seems unreasonable not to be allowed to compare differences in health care strategies across countries.

That's a great subject for a thread and is of course allowed, however this thread is about pharmacist salaries in Ireland and still waiting for anyone the give me good reason for that topic to be kept open in a health science forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Just to bring it back on point here - I'm curious.

What salary would you expect a pharmacist to earn when they are managing a very busy Community Pharmacy in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RobFowl wrote: »
    That's a great subject for a thread and is of course allowed, however this thread is about pharmacist salaries in Ireland and still waiting for anyone the give me good reason for that topic to be kept open in a health science forum....

Split the offending posts off into their own thread if they're on-topic for the forum but off-topic for the thread.

(lurker's 2c)

nesf wrote: »
    Split the offending posts off into their own thread if they're on-topic for the forum but off-topic for the thread.

(lurker's 2c)

Too much like hard work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

I'm hoping to study pharmacy-but to tell the truth, this thread has really put me off doing so.
    I'd appreciate if anyone could shed light on the employment situation atm, and if the situation is going to further deteriorate.
    I know I'd love to study chemistry/pharmacology, but really don't want to study for five years only to be paid pittance or worse be unemployed.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Fastidious wrote: »
    I'm hoping to study pharmacy-but to tell the truth, this thread has really put me off doing so.
    I'd appreciate if anyone could shed light on the employment situation atm, and if the situation is going to further deteriorate.
    I know I'd love to study chemistry/pharmacology, but really don't want to study for five years only to be paid pittance or worse be unemployed.

Thanks!

This was started 11 years ago. Things are fine for Pharmacists at the moment. Typically salaries start in the €50,000-60,000 range. Will rise to the €65,000-100,000 range after 3+ years.

With Brexit it's hard to predict the future but Pharmacists are always in demand. No such thing as an unemployed Pharmacist

Im not going to lie. I earn a seriously good wage as a pharmacist. Not as much as community pharmacist but there are only about 4/5 pharmacists who could do my job in Ireland.
    More than if I would if I was an IT person or accountant. I work hard for it. I've normalish hours too. If you are looking at 100k+, you will be working long hours.

• Advertisement

Im not going to lie. I earn a seriously good wage as a pharmacist. Not as much as community pharmacist but there are only about 4/5 pharmacists who could do my job in Ireland.
    More than if I would if I was an IT person or accountant. I work hard for it. I've normalish hours too. If you are looking at 100k+, you will be working long hours.

Yep, on the high end of the scale in community you'll typically be a retail manager on top of being a pharmacist.

Out of interest, are you an antimicrobial pharmacist?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I will say money isn’t everything... I’m a community pharmacist. The job is a complete pain in the ass due to the HSE being the paymaster for the majority of business and implementing cut after cut, policy change after change... all resulting in more work and no extra remuneration. The majority of the time work is more about the HSE paperwork, rules and regulations than it is about any form of chemistry and/or pharmacology

Yep, on the high end of the scale in community you'll typically be a retail manager on top of being a pharmacist.

Out of interest, are you an antimicrobial pharmacist?

Hmmm. I don't work as a antimicrobial pharmacist but it's a huge need which the HSE are currently addressing.

I will say money isn’t everything... I’m a community pharmacist. The job is a complete pain in the ass due to the HSE being the paymaster for the majority of business and implementing cut after cut, policy change after change... all resulting in more work and no extra remuneration. The majority of the time work is more about the HSE paperwork, rules and regulations than it is about any form of chemistry and/or pharmacology

Angelsdelight. I remember reading your posts about pharmacy when I was thinking about studying it. Just shows I've been on boards too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I haven’t sifted thru this thread but I am astonished & always have been re how low salary’s are for pharmacists given the amount of points required for entry never mind the responsibility of the job.

Someone I know had the top leaving cert results in the country and chose this Degree only to find her sister who worked in IT sales (with a diploma in business) earning twice her salary.

Having said this with computerization this job is likely going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AmberGold wrote: »
    I haven’t sifted thru this thread but I am astonished & always have been re how low salary’s are for pharmacists given the amount of points required for entry never mind the responsibility of the job.

Someone I know had the top leaving cert results in the country and chose this Degree only to find her sister who worked in IT sales (with a diploma in business) earning twice her salary.

I know pharmacists on over 70k per annum. Hardly a low salary

I doubt a computer would know how to deal with the multitude of conditions that could follow a CAR-T procedure. Also, robots can't sign responsibility for a med ;)

Also, it's not all about money. I make a significant difference to patients whilst they are in hospital. Whether it's showing them how to use an inhaler/ explaining what the meds are form/organising a support mechanism for them to take their meds at home.

Angelsdelight. I remember reading your posts about pharmacy when I was thinking about studying it. Just shows I've been on boards too long.

Cool! If you don't mind me asking-which college did you study pharmacy in? I hope to go to RCSI, but am astonished at the amount of places reserved for non EU applicants, they must love money? Would RCSI be better in terms of facilities or would TCD be? Tia

I doubt a computer would know how to deal with the multitude of conditions that could follow a CAR-T procedure. Also, robots can't sign responsibility for a med ;)

Also, it's not all about money. I make a significant difference to patients whilst they are in hospital. Whether it's showing them how to use an inhaler/ explaining what the meds are form/organising a support mechanism for them to take their meds at home.

Appreciate this re the care you provide, that’s the point I’m making. On the tech side, with computers driving cars etc it will impact at some point.

When I did my leaving cert in ‘87 the highest points requirement was for pharmacy in TCD, so when I see the salary’s of pharmacists compared to GP’s / Consultants I find it odd.

lawred2 wrote: »

According to payscale.com, the average salary comes in at just under 50,000. Considering the amount of study that's required and how labour intensive the job itself is it's not exactly great is it?

• Advertisement

According to payscale.com, the average salary comes in at just under 50,000. Considering the amount of study that's required and how labour intensive the job itself is it's not exactly great is it?

https://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=pharmacist&l=Ireland&jt=permanent&start=20&pp=ABQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFYp2IbAQEBBgdtIbUB3gg97sxEhrOGU9ewDCIcnA

I'm a community pharmacist. I've recently changed jobs and have an idea of the on the ground salaries. I'm currently north of €90,000

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

Will rise to the €65,000-100,000 range after 3+ years.

I wish!
    Not true.
    You need to bring that range down a good bit to be more accurate

Appreciate this re the care you provide, that’s the point I’m making. On the tech side, with computers driving cars etc it will impact at some point.

When I did my leaving cert in ‘87 the highest points requirement was for pharmacy in TCD, so when I see the salary’s of pharmacists compared to GP’s / Consultants I find it odd.

True however points aren't reflective of the courses difficulty..it's demand which is why I find it baffling that RCSI would reserve so many places for international students. If there's supposedly an insatiable demand for pharmacists in ireland then why not reserve these for Irish students. Perhaps this is why it isn't considered a university?

https://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=pharmacist&l=Ireland&jt=permanent&start=20&pp=ABQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFYp2IbAQEBBgdtIbUB3gg97sxEhrOGU9ewDCIcnA

I'm a community pharmacist. I've recently changed jobs and have an idea of the on the ground salaries. I'm currently north of €90,000

Its an average

Its an average

It certainly is. It's an average of the 200 odd people who've self reported. For all you know it could be 200 locums working 4 day weeks. Pay scale is fairly useless imo.

brianb10 wrote: »
    I wish!
    Not true.
    You need to bring that range down a good bit to be more accurate

Are you an Irish community pharmacist?

lawred2 wrote: »

With all due respect given the responsibility and care provided I think it’s low. Very low, so low as to be unable to obtain a mortgage for a 3 bedroomed semi in the capital.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that houses are unaffordable in the capital. I mean I'm only seventeen so what do I know, but you seem to be of the opinion that it's your god given right to live wherever you want to live. This isn't me being cheeky or anything nor am I belittling your work, but 70,000 is a great salary for a pharmacist to be earning. I've sympathy for the nurses and midwives cause they genuinely have reason to be frustrsated. You're just being greedy

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that houses are unaffordable in the capital. I mean I'm only seventeen so what do I know, but you seem to be of the opinion that it's your god given right to live wherever you want to live. This isn't me being cheeky or anything nor am I belittling your work, but 70,000 is a great salary for a pharmacist to be earning. I've sympathy for the nurses and midwives cause they genuinely have reason to be frustrsated. You're just being greedy

Yes 70k seems like a pile of cash when you’re 17, living at home with Mammy & being offered part-time jobs in Supermacs and the like on minimum wage. Add in the true cost of living in Ireland with a mortgage, Creche fees, property tax, USC, PRSI, Property maintenance fees to name a few and you’ll understand my point.

I think you covered it off in your post, you’re 17 and yes you don’t know much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

AmberGold wrote:
    Yes 70k seems like a pile of cash when you’re 17, living at home with Mammy & being offered part-time jobs in Supermacs and the like on minimum wage. Add in the true cost of living in Ireland with a mortgage, Creche fees, property tax, USC, PRSI, Property maintenance fees to name a few and you’ll understand my point.

70 k is a serious wage ffs cop on

Advertisement