Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blazermel wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why or when the capacity of the Hyde was revised down further? What happened since the 2015 connacht final that's brought it down to 18,000?

The 18k was the original recommendation was from the 2011 report https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-faces-200000-loss-in-ground-capacity-26794939.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

rossie1977 wrote: »

Thanks for that. And then it was revised back up to 24,000 presumably for the connacht final 3 years ago. Surely same can be done again. Pure and utter nonsense from the money hungry connacht council.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The main problem with The Hyde is our County Board are complete gob****es.
    Can blame H&S,Croke Park or Connacht Council all we want but the County Board should get all the flack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

megadodge wrote:
    No matter what the reason(s), Roscommo should move hell and high water to make sure it's played in Roscommon. Enough is enough. Wev'e played Galway three times in Connacht finals in the last two years - all away from home. Fair is fair.

Why did McStay say the game would be on in Castlebar if it's a Roscommon Vs Sligo match? What's the arrangement between Roscommon and Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why did McStay say the game would be on in Castlebar if it's a Roscommon Vs Sligo match? What's the arrangement between Roscommon and Sligo?

Carrick on Shannon or Markievicz Park in Sligo are deemed not big enough to hold connacht finals and thus if Leitrim or sligo reach a connacht final against Roscommon/mayo/Galway it always has to be played at a neutral venue of Leitrim/sligos choosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I had predicted pre-match that Roscommon would win buy 10 to 15 points. It's hard to judge how good Roscommon are from yesterday's performance. They were not coming up against much, Leitrim are arguably the worst team in the country. One encouraging point for Roscommon was their scoring, they took their points, had very few wides or wasteful play.

If the final is anywhere other than Hyde Park it's a disaster for Roscommon GAA. It would be a shame to see what should be a home final for them, played in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If Roscommon are forced to play somewhere else, supporters should boycott the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Addle wrote: »
    If Roscommon are forced to play somewhere else, supporters should boycott the match.

The sentiment is good but a lot of us would travel anywhere from Mallon to mizen head to support the team in a provincial final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The sentiment is good but a lot of us would travel anywhere from Mallon to mizen head to support the team in a provincial final.
    Ya, but money talks.

Addle wrote: »

That wouldn't really be an option. Roscommon are a football county with a dedicated fan base. They will be annoyed if the game is played elsewhere, but it wouldn't stop him from going to the match. The match could be in New York and you'd have hundreds of Roscommon People booking flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Connacht Council would do well to use their heads here. The Hyde will be near enough a sell out if it's a Ros v Galway final. They move that game to MacHale Park, and there won't be 15,000 at it. While it's true to say that Roscommon fans are dedicated and will travel, you'll definitely lose a couple of thousand off the number.

As for the Galway fans, many of them are also less likely to travel to Castlebar, which would reduce the numbers further.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Any idea who got man of the match? Cathal Compton and Tadhg O’Rourke both played well and won loads of balls. Diarmuid Murtagh and Cathal Cregg scored some nice points also

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭White lighting

degzs wrote: »
    Any idea who got man of the match? Cathal Compton and Tadhg O’Rourke both played well and won loads of balls. Diarmuid Murtagh and Cathal Cregg scored some nice points also
    I would say Brian Stack but thats not confirmed

Yeah Stack had a good game,D Murtagh had a right good game as well.Think some of the papers gave it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Carrick on Shannon or Markievicz Park in Sligo are deemed not big enough to hold connacht finals and thus if Leitrim or sligo reach a connacht final against Roscommon/mayo/Galway it always has to be played at a neutral venue of Leitrim/sligos choosing.

You'd imagine they'll go down the neutral road for finals involving Roscommon from next year, until things are in order at least. The town loses out a bit but 90%+ of fans drive to Roscommon anyway so isn't such a loss. Theres an argument all finals should be neutral anyway, although you'd nearly have to take Mayo vs Ros or Galway to Thurles in that case

Hulk Hands wrote: »

You'd imagine they'll go down the neutral road for finals involving Roscommon from next year, until things are in order at least. The town loses out a bit but 90%+ of fans drive to Roscommon anyway so isn't such a loss. Theres an argument all finals should be neutral anyway, although you'd nearly have to take Mayo vs Ros or Galway to Thurles in that case
    No connaght finals should be played in McHale until the pitch is done the surface is a disgrace and Salthill is a kip, The surface not great either looking at the tele sunday

Define Kip? Salthill is the most comfortable ground of the 3, in by far the nicest area and town. Had you said wind tunnel or traffic hell hole I'd agree...

Supposedly work on the ground will start very soon,not in time for this year's championship but progress has been made.A local man is footing the bill is the rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Define Kip? Salthill is the most comfortable ground of the 3, in by far the nicest area and town. Had you said wind tunnel or traffic hell hole I'd agree...

Roscommon town has more and better pubs than Salthill
    better parking all around the town and better access into and out of the town
    the pitch is also far superior
    the Hyde also has far more room around the ground which should make for a better location for food and drinks stalls - if the connacht council ever bothered to organise that properly

salthill is in a residential area which makes if a nightmare for parking

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    better parking all around the town and better access into and out of the town
    the pitch is also far superior
    the Hyde also has far more room around the ground which should make for a better location for food and drinks stalls - if the connacht council ever bothered to organise that properly

salthill is in a residential area which makes if a nightmare for parking

I agree with you regarding parking ,traffic and pubs.The Hyde is ok for all of that and better equipped that most grounds.Its a nice handy walk from main street to the pitch.

Are you talking about food and drinks stalls inside or outside the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Pearse Stadium hasn't come close to delivering on the potential of being a decent sized stadium in Galway. I'd be surprised if Galway are still playing there in ten years time.

grbear wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium hasn't come close to delivering on the potential of being a decent sized stadium in Galway. I'd be surprised if Galway are still playing there in ten years time.

Cant see Galway CB spending again within 10 years.They already had issues with the CoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Pearse Stadium is a fine facility but it's just awkward to get to, most Galwegians even hate trying to get to the place. It's a catch 22, you either have it where it is, near to pubs, restaurants etc, or you have a ground out on the edge of the city with few amenities nearby.

Personally, I think they should have redeveloped Tuam altogether, but that's another story. The Hyde benefits from Roscommon being a much smaller and less congested town. I wish they'd just get whatever work needs to be done sorted, it's getting a bit stupid now and threatens to undermine progress on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

yabadabado wrote: »

Cant see Galway CB spending again within 10 years.They already had issues with the CoE.
    I think a developer will test them and make an offer for Pearse. If that happens, combined with a suitable site on the outskirts of Galway then I could see them trying to move. Not that any of this makes much difference to Roscommon.

yabadabado wrote: »

I think a developer will test them and make an offer for Pearse. If that happens, combined with a suitable site on the outskirts of Galway then I could see them trying to move. Not that any of this makes much difference to Roscommon.
    As a Roscommon supporter it would make a difference. I would rather it took me under an hour to travel to watch Roscommon play Galway away than the 4 hours it takes to go to Salthill on match day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The only people who wanted salthill redeveloped was the connolly brothers.
    They made a killing on it

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Hah, I must've missed the part where Roscommon town has become a tourist destination and known for its social scene!

Anyway, moving on, what happens if Ros host a super 8 game I wonder? You'd probably bring 15k alone to a Super 8 game vs Dublin (or whoever). Do the GAA now decide that home advantage is appropriate whereas it wasn't for Wicklow? And the home team should probably get the vast majority of the tickets also. Can imagine the uproar if less than 5k Dubs get tickets. If someone like Carlow makes it it's a horror show for the GAA altogether. Interesting scenario

So has there been any word on the venue for the final?

• Advertisement

Hah, I must've missed the part where Roscommon town has become a tourist destination and known for its social scene!

Anyway, moving on, what happens if Ros host a super 8 game I wonder? You'd probably bring 15k alone to a Super 8 game vs Dublin (or whoever). Do the GAA now decide that home advantage is appropriate whereas it wasn't for Wicklow? And the home team should probably get the vast majority of the tickets also. Can imagine the uproar if less than 5k Dubs get tickets. If someone like Carlow makes it it's a horror show for the GAA altogether. Interesting scenario
    Seems like Croke Park decide when its home advantage or not.Wicklow got shafted but its all about the cash now.

No fault of Dublin ,they are a serious cash machine for GAA but if the Super 8 throws up a few surprises, then there will be uproar if teams don't get their home game,which is a real possibility.

Advertisement