Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I have no idea. Your best bet would be to telephone the foreign affairs office in either Cork or Dublin. By the way, it's just your agree you need apostilled, all you have do with your transcripts is to have them in a sealed envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Thanks for your help, I will ring and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Hi, I am waiting for a job agency to post me a job contract and NOA. I was told to bring them to the embassy in Dublin. I rang them today and they said it can take 5-10 days to process the visa. I'm panicking because that seems very long.

Also does anyone have any experience of filling out the E2 visa form? It asks what countries I have traveled to in the past 5 years and the dates that I traveled. I can't remember any dates, only months. So I'm worrying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

Relax, that all sounds normal. Go in person and drop your stuff at the embassy. Don't make the same mistake I did and ask them to post it back to you, because my passport got lost and that was a nightmare, emergency passport...emergency visa 2 days before the flight, the works. Go and pick it up in person when it's ready. Wouldn't worry too much about travel dates either, they are not going to double check. I think it's just to see if you've been to SK before, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

kaji wrote: »
    I can't remember any dates.

Can you search your email to find confirmation of accommodation/flights?

I wouldn't worry though. If you remember roughly then just write down the rough dates.

• Advertisement

Can you search your email to find confirmation of accommodation/flights?

I wouldn't worry though. If you remember roughly then just write down the rough dates.

I can remember the months involved and the approx amount of days but that's it. All emails have been deleted now unfortunately.

brianw1 wrote: »
    Don't make the same mistake I did and ask them to post it back to you, because my passport got lost and that was a nightmare, emergency passport...emergency visa 2 days before the flight, the works. Go and pick it up in person when it's ready.

Oh my God, that sounds awful. Ok, I will try to pick it up in person. I hope it doesn't take 10 days to process, I will run out of time if that's the case.

Yeah, as all the kind people on boards have said so far, don't panic.

I'm sure the company hiring you can change the flights if you run out of time, my visa took about 5 days and I went up in person as well, safest option I felt at the time, and now I feel vindicated because of what Brian said.

Enjoy your time in Korea, what city are you going to be working in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I met the love of my life who is an American in Korea. We're still together over 3 years later. Honestly, the amount of people that I've met who are ignorant to Americans in Korea is huge. Yes, there are annoying Americans, but there are annoying Irish people, British people, South Africans, Australians and Canadians. The worst kind of people I met in Korea as expats were the small minded ones. Seriously though, you're going to teach in a new country with a totally different culture (believe me, Korean culture is much more grating than American culture) so you might want to try being a little bit open minded.

Yes, people on Dave's are complainers. How do you know they are American? A lot as far as i know are British. The main problem with people on Dave's is that they are lifers. They have been in Korea for ages and hate it but don't leave for whatever reason. You'll meet all nationalities that have fallen into that.

It's not the Bush years anymore, I really thought America bashing had gone out of style. :rolleyes:

You must be joking. You take your life in your hands walking into any place in Hongdae etc. populated by G.I.'s. Any time there's a barney it's a bloody G.I.

Glad you're happy with your bf, and its true the weird ones can come from anywhere, but let's not be under illusions here... you just took offence because your SO is from there.

Huge generalization incoming, but in my experience any Americans over there are there to cut a wedge out of their college debt and don't even bother adapting to the culture. If Korea didn't have CostCo they'd starve. If there weren't any bars you'd never even see them. Of course there are exceptions to this and its not an exclusively American way to act but they do seem to have a problem leaving that comfort zone.

Having said that Dave's is a black hole of desperately unhappy argumentative pillocks and should be avoided outside of advice threads/selling stuff. Lots of disenchanted people there that are no longer employable back home. Working in S.K. is hard; the odds are stacked against you if you want a decent working environment with a sane boss, so I do sympathize. But that place is poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Wright wrote: »
    You must be joking. You take your life in your hands walking into any place in Hongdae etc. populated by G.I.'s. Any time there's a barney it's a bloody G.I.

You're seriously over exaggerating there. Take your life in your hands? :pac: I saw more fights on the streets of Dublin in my time there than I ever did in Korea and I was out every single weekend. Were they all American GIs?
    you're happy with your bf, and its true the weird ones can come from anywhere, but let's not be under illusions here... you just took offence because your SO is from there.

I'm not at all offended but I was shocked at how small minded people can be when they are considering moving across the world to live in a different culture.

generalization incoming, but in my experience any Americans over there are there to cut a wedge out of their college debt and don't even bother adapting to the culture. If Korea didn't have CostCo they'd starve. If there weren't any bars you'd never even see them. Of course there are exceptions to this and its not an exclusively American way to act but they do seem to have a problem leaving that comfort zone.

The only person that I met in Korea who wouldn't eat the food was a girl from Antrim. She would eat nothing but KFC and Popeyes.

Maybe you met terrible Americans and I'm just lucky that the ones that I met were alright. Are you friends with many or are you basing your opinion on stuff you've read online? I honestly don't think you can live in Korea and not encounter at least one arsehole from each nationality!

If you want to believe that I'm 'offended' because of my OH then that's fine but I'm just trying to point out that bashing Americans is stupid because they come from such a huge country and people all have individual personalities. Are all Irish people the same? :rolleyes: If you have gone all the way to Korea and made such a big effort to 'adapt to the culture' then is it such a stretch to open your mind a little bit?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

then is it such a stretch to open your mind a little bit?

Again, you'll find its this accusation that rubs people the wrong way, considering who you're defending.

Glad you're not offended though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The_LG

Hey guys, great thread, it's been really helpful! I'm getting my docs together for heading to Korea as soon as I can and I have a few questions. I'm getting my degree next week from Maynooth and I'll have to head to the NUI building in Dublin to get a duplicate in English (I'm also getting two authenticated copies just in case). Will I have to get this duplicate both notarised and apostilled? I know to get it apostilled you have to go to the passport office but if I have to get it notarised first, where can I get this done?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lexa15

Is anyone thinking of applying for EPIK Spring 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

The_LG wrote: »
    Hey guys, great thread, it's been really helpful! I'm getting my docs together for heading to Korea as soon as I can and I have a few questions. I'm getting my degree next week from Maynooth and I'll have to head to the NUI building in Dublin to get a duplicate in English (I'm also getting two authenticated copies just in case). Will I have to get this duplicate both notarised and apostilled? I know to get it apostilled you have to go to the passport office but if I have to get it notarised first, where can I get this done?

Thanks in advance!

Bring your degree to a notary and he will make a copy of it and notarise the copy. Ring ahead beforehand and bring your passport and a bit of money, there is a cost involved but nothing too big. Take the notarised copy of your degree into the Department of Foreign Affairs in town for the apostille service. It costs 40 quid per document and there is usually a bit of a que in the place. Apply for your police certificate now (takes around 10 days to receive it) and have that notarised and apostilled along with your degree as well to save a bit of hassle.

More info on notaries;

http://www.notarypublic.ie/what-is-a-notary/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Hi all..

I am hoping to go and work in Korea before xmas with my friend. I have my degree notarised yesterday and on Monday next week I will go to get the degree and Police cert apostilled.

In applying for hagwons do we still need transcripts of degrees or is that just necessary for public school positions?

We are hoping to go and work in a private school (hagwon) so im wondering is it possible to get a job in the same school??

I know they have jobs for couples but would friends be able to apply for these jobs?

We wont be starting to apply for jobs until next week and we are not in any rush to leave as we want make sure we make the right decision in whatever position we accept.

Great website and very helpful..thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Hi all..

I am hoping to go and work in Korea before xmas with my friend. I have my degree notarised yesterday and on Monday next week I will go to get the degree and Police cert apostilled.

In applying for hagwons do we still need transcripts of degrees or is that just necessary for public school positions?

We are hoping to go and work in a private school (hagwon) so im wondering is it possible to get a job in the same school??

I know they have jobs for couples but would friends be able to apply for these jobs?

We wont be starting to apply for jobs until next week and we are not in any rush to leave as we want make sure we make the right decision in whatever position we accept.

Great website and very helpful..thanks for reading.

I'm open to correction, but copies of degrees are an immigration office requirement for the visa the school will get for you once you land in Korea and start working there. So I'd imagine they are a requirement for all teaching jobs, if it's changed now, someone else can correct me I'm sure.

Couples jobs are usually provided when the school wants to house the couple together - cheaper rent etc. for the school to pay for one place as opposed to two single apartments for individuals. If you're going with a mate I'd just look out for schools that have two openings available and an apartment for each teacher, unless you want to house share/share a bedroom.
    If it's your love interest you're going with and you want to live together, then pursue couples placings.

Thanks CavanManiac for your reply.

I know copies of degrees are are needed and I have already got my degree and police cert apostilled but since I am hoping to work in a private school(hagwon) are transcripts of results of the degree needed??

Are these needed for private schools too or just public school jobs??

I know copies of degrees are are needed and I have already got my degree and police cert apostilled but since I am hoping to work in a private school(hagwon) are transcripts of results of the degree needed??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The_LG

In general I think transcripts of the results of the degree are only needed for public school jobs, not private ones. However, as someone said a good few pages back, get everything you need or might need! It's pretty handy to get them posted out, I'd say get them just in case.

Thanks mate...will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They also say a 'sealed' set of transcripts.
    But I know personally that's not the case.
    I glued my last set on transcripts in the college envelope when reapplying.

Also, I know another friend who stuck all his tracscripts in a letter and wrote the school name and details himself and sent it to them.
    We both work in public schools.

As for the degree ambiguity above, it is definitely needed for your Visa. I had to reapply 2 months ago and had all the documents and paperwork, but my recruiter for the province had my degree , and he wouldn't give me my extended visa until she sent him a fax of it.

While you're preparing, you've probably seen it said elsewhere, but take a few hours to learn the Korean written language.
    You can learn it in a weekend no problem.

It was created by a scientist , and was made so a smart man can learn it in a weekend, and the rest in a week. It really is that simple. (you obviously won't be able to understand the language) ...but it will help with travelling to and from locations as you will be able to read names of places at train stations etc.
    It's actually a national holiday here 2 weeks from now...to celebrate Hangul day (Korean language day) :)

Thanks Sean for all your information.

I am in contact with a number of recruiters at the moment and have all my documents ready to go but just taking my time in finding a school that suits me as I am not going to accept the first school that offers me a position unless its a recommended school.

Looks like I wont be over in time for the national holiday but enjoy it anyway..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already, but what is required for teaching English long term in Korea?

My partner is from Seoul and has a hankering to go back for a few years. To be honest, Japan is her preference but for Visa purposes Korea will do for now.

I'm leaving college this year with English and history and don't really fancy getting stuck in to teaching kids Shakespeare just yet. So teaching abroad will be a nice start.

What do ye recommend? :)

Late reply sun king but try getting a TEFL certification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about going to Korea to teach, the new Korean president said he is reinstating all the jobs Native English teacher positions that had been cut by the previous president, so get applying kiddos!

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about going to Korea to teach, the new Korean president said he is reinstating all the jobs Native English teacher positions that had been cut by the previous president, so get applying kiddos!

If it’s the public school jobs you’re talking about they won’t be open for application until the start of October

If it’s the public school jobs you’re talking about they won’t be open for application until the start of October

Think they are opening around the Sept time this year. And yeah it's for public school positions. I wouldn't bother with Hagwons, in the 3 years I was there, every single person I knew who taught in a Hagwon was screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Think they are opening around the Sept time this year. And yeah it's for public school positions. I wouldn't bother with Hagwons, in the 2 years I was there, every single person I knew who taught in a Hagwon was screwed over.

because it's boards and people love to argue.

I worked in a Hagwon for 3 years, over 2 separate periods, and it was amazing to work for.

In saying that, the owner sold the franchise to someone else a good few years ago and last I heard it had closed down, which is unbelievable considering how much of a cash cow it was when I was there.

cloneslad wrote: »
    because it's boards and people love to argue.

I worked in a Hagwon for 3 years, over 2 separate periods, and it was amazing to work for.

In saying that, the owner sold the franchise to someone else a good few years ago and last I heard it had closed down, which is unbelievable considering how much of a cash cow it was when I was there.

Great that you had a good time, the 30+ people I knew were robbed, weren't paid, left early and went back to their home countries, and like I said was screwed over.
    30 people is a larger amount than 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Great that you had a good time, the 30+ people I knew were robbed, weren't paid, left early and went back to their home countries, and like I said was screwed over.
    30 people is a larger amount than 1

I take it you taught maths too, thanks for that numerical lesson.

I've only actually known of one school that was didn't give the teachers what they expected and to be honest it was more the recruiter than the school. The school told the recruiter the salary but the recruiter lied to the candidates (all South African women) and told them the salary was higher and in some cases that the school was in Seoul when it was nowhere near it, in fact not even on mainland Korea. Worst of all, the recruiter was the mother of one of the guys teaching there.

I know of more teachers who did midnight runs than got screwed over and I was there for three years.

I've read the stories online and I'm not denying it does happen but it wasn't at the rate of 100% you said, I'd be surprised if it was even 1%.

Speak to the current and past teachers at the school to get some advice before agreeing to sign. That goes for public schools too (if you are being hired outside of peak hiring season) because sometimes the public schools can be terrible to work for.

Advertisement