Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Came off the Magic Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/272348/two-sections-of-m9-motorway-in-kilkenny-to-close-for-six-days-of-maintenance-work.html

Not surprising. Back to the old road again. How come they can't get this piece of road right?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

PaulKK wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/272348/two-sections-of-m9-motorway-in-kilkenny-to-close-for-six-days-of-maintenance-work.html

Not surprising. Back to the old road again. How come they can't get this piece of road right?

Must be an annual thing at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fg1406 wrote: »
    Must be an annual thing at this stage?

Was closed about 4/5 years ago for about a month...that section at Paulstown has sank even further, as bad if not worse than the last "repairs".
    Also the section between kk and Paulstown northbound is getting worse.
    I also thinks there's another rut between J8 and J9 near the Nore bridge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's pretty disappointing that the M9 around Kilkenny has so many subsidence issues. It must be a problem going back to its construction when the ground wasn't allowed to settle properly. Perhaps the road was built too fast?

Have the original contractors been called back to do a rebuild of this section?

Didn't the M8 have a similar problem between Cahir and Michelstown? How was that dealt with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Driving northbound just at exit 2 this morning and came across an auld fella travelling the wrong way down the fast lane , blew him out of it but he was in his own world. Absolutely lethal. Rang 999 they said they had a unit already on the way, thank god I haven't seen any report of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone know what the hell the Gardaí were doing at the layby south of Mullinavat just heading into Waterford this afternoon? The motorway was limited to one lane by cones and there were multiple cars there with the blue lights flashing, including an Audi SUV from the Armed Support Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone know what the hell the Gardaí were doing at the layby south of Mullinavat just heading into Waterford this afternoon? The motorway was limited to one lane by cones and there were multiple cars there with the blue lights flashing, including an Audi SUV from the Armed Support Unit.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/915228563284078592
    Multi Agency C-point on M9. Multiple offences detected on truck including defective tyres & lights. Court to follow

M9 motorway going to be closed at various times and various stages between J7 and J9 next week;
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/Road-Closure-M9-Southbound-from-J8-Kilkenny-North-to-J9-Danesfort-8-am-to-8-pm-Wednesday-11th-of-Oct.54364.shortcut.html

What are they doing? The closures appear pretty short in duration for anything substantial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

road_high wrote: »
    M9 motorway going to be closed at various times and various stages between J7 and J9 next week;
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/Road-Closure-M9-Southbound-from-J8-Kilkenny-North-to-J9-Danesfort-8-am-to-8-pm-Wednesday-11th-of-Oct.54364.shortcut.html

What are they doing? The closures appear pretty short in duration for anything substantial?

Traffic diverted through Kilkenny ring road this morning. Big delays as a result.

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    Traffic diverted through Kilkenny ring road this morning. Big delays as a result.

It was awful this evening too, major back up on the Paulstown road roundabout in particular. I don't see why they couldn't undertake these works at night-time on weekends to minimize disruption. It's extremely frustrating. Kilkenny ring road can barely cope with it's own traffic without the M9 on top of it.
    Anyways, they are definitely working on the 2 dips between Kilkenny North and Paulstown today, saw all the tarmac crews in operation- I really hope they solve this once and for all this time.
    Southbound closed tomorrow...

Can anyone explain why the N10 link road northbound is still closed all day today? It meant even more chaos as traffic has to access the M9 via the old road again today. In addition to the southbound M9 traffic from J8 to J9 the kilkenny ring road was jammers again.
    Was it a safety issue with J8? Because the M9 is fully open again northbound, it's just the N10 that's closed to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Can someone explain to me why the N10 north of Kilkenny is not under motorway restrictions, as it leads to the M9 and nowhere else?

Can someone explain to me why the N10 north of Kilkenny is not under motorway restrictions, as it leads to the M9 and nowhere else?

Don't know the exact technical reason but it's a single carriageway national
    Primary route (so not an actual motorway itself). It does seem an anonomly but there is very clear signage warning motorway ahead and the appropriate restrictions on joining the N10. Also very clear "M9 Ahead" signage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It should be signed as M9 outbound and N10 inbound. It's effectively a spur of the M9, so it is the M9 outbound and it leads to the N10 inbound.

marno21 wrote: »
    It should be signed as M9 outbound and N10 inbound. It's effectively a spur of the M9, so it is the M9 outbound and it leads to the N10 inbound.

Agreed. Always thought it was a mistake not to make this 100km/hr dual carriageway when they had the chance also. A bit of future planning wouldn't have gone astray.

Agreed. Always thought it was a mistake not to make this 100km/hr dual carriageway when they had the chance also. A bit of future planning wouldn't have gone astray.

Defo should be dual carriageway. I'd say the traffic figures justify one. Silly when they were building it day one.
    They had traffic counters on it during the summer actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Defo should be dual carriageway. I'd say the traffic figures justify one. Silly when they were building it day one.
    They had traffic counters on it during the summer actually.

It could be given the 2+2 treatment pretty easily, from what I can see.

It's probably designed to accommodate that but it's only 6km and not a priority scheme when there's so many other more urgent roads needing attention (this only opened 7 years ago after all).

In parts true enough but the two overpass bridges I think may not have quite enough room for 2+2 between supports.

Seems like building it right in the first place would not have added much additional cost and it would have made a proper job of it.

• Advertisement

In parts true enough but the two overpass bridges I think may not have quite enough room for 2+2 between supports.

Seems like building it right in the first place would not have added much additional cost and it would have made a proper job of it.

I think they're built to accommodate 2 lanes each way already.

Nice job done on the dips between J8 and J7 Paulstown northbound. Big improvement to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Planning granted for new off line services at Mullinavat.

A little smaller than Paulstown Applegreen, but very similar in style.

Permission granted to landowner, but I'll guess Applegreen are behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Planning granted for new off line services at Mullinavat.

A little smaller than Paulstown Applegreen, but very similar in style.

Permission granted to landowner, but I'll guess Applegreen are behind it.

I would have thought Knocktopher would be better positioned from a spacing point of view, Mullinavat is not that far from Waterford.

hi5 wrote: »
    I would have thought Knocktopher would be better positioned from a spacing point of view, Mullinavat is not that far from Waterford.

I'd imagine the thinking being it would catch business nearer Waterford. If/when Kilcullen opens we will have 4 major services on 110 km of M9...is the business there for all?
    I'd like one in Kilkenny personally adjacent to the N10. I think that would do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

The Kilcullen services will be majorly beneficial for Athy Traffic that use the new link road to the M9.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

hi5 wrote: »

Not really - think of all the bellview port traffic and traffic from dungarvan using the bypass. On top of that there's no fuel station in Mullinavat. So perfect location imo.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Not really - think of all the bellview port traffic and traffic from dungarvan using the bypass. On top of that there's no fuel station in Mullinavat. So perfect location imo.

Yes but Mullinavat is the next junction up the M9. It's not on the N25 junction so won't necessarily get that traffic.

rameire wrote: »
    The Kilcullen services will be majorly beneficial for Athy Traffic that use the new link road to the M9.

Well it is the busiest stretch of the M9, ADDT of 23,000 vehicles between Kilcullen and Ballitore exits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes but Mullinavat is the next junction up the M9. It's not on the N25 junction so won't necessarily get that traffic.
    The success of the Birdhill M7 services, and the planned M6 services near Rathmorrissey (this will cater for north/south traffic too) then there may be feasibility for an offline service area at Mullinavat.

Advertisement