Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Glad to win, but we should have been completely out of sight for a finish. 6 points was a flattering margin for Kilkenny, who were very poor.

Hanley and Gillane deserve ample game time with the seniors next year. Is Hayes too green to play at 6 for the seniors? I'd throw him in, thought he was excellent again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Great to see the future looking so bright for KK 😀😀......next year it will be 3 years without any 'male' silverware.....crisis time for them on nore side....!

When are LK going to translate this crop underage players to be challenging for the 'big one' ? The previous 3 x u21's ( 2000-2002) never really did it.....will we be saying the same about this crop in 10 Years time??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Road-Hog wrote: »
    When are LK going to translate this crop underage players to be challenging for the 'big one' ? The previous 3 x u21's ( 2000-2002) never really did it.....will we be saying the same about this crop in 10 Years time??
    That is the fear, even Donnelly was advising against over-celebration this time around. That said, it's a proud day for us to extend our 100% record in u-21 finals.

Thought Hayes was magnificent, with Gillane and Hanley close behind. And of course we outnumbered the cats at least 3 or 4 to 1. Luimneach Abu :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Fwiw, I think it's very hard for a player like Lynch to be the stand-out guy for Mary I in Feb/March and also be the stand-out guy for Limerick later in the year. I think Tony Kelly suffered for Clare this year from Ballyea's campaign by comparison. Too much hurling over too long a season or something.

Surely that largely depends on whether you are good enough or not? Ballyhale Shamricks won the 2015 All Ireland club title but five of their players won All Ireland medals the following September, three of them won All Stars and one of the won Hurler of the Year. That's what "too much hurling" did for them.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Surely that largely depends on whether you are good enough or not? Ballyhale Shamricks won the 2015 All Ireland club title but five of their players won All Ireland medals the following September, three of them won All Stars and one of the won Hurler of the Year. That's what "too much hurling" did for them.

You might be right. We were discussing the season structure on the drive up and some of the lads were of the view that the Fitzgibbon Cups and club runs were good as they kept players focused purely on hurling for longer. They don't see "burn out" as an issue as eventually the games tail off. I'm not sure, I'd like to see studies done on optimum numbers of games for athletes but I can't pretend it's a deeply held conviction either way.

Great win today, great composure when Kilkenny were coming back into in. Would have been very easy to crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Delighted for them to get the win. Very much deserved. A great all Ireland to win beating Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and Kilkenny on the way - don't get a much harder all Ireland than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

They did it the hard way no doubt about it. Looked much better than the 6 point margin yesterday. Surely there will be a few of these lads ready to step up in a few years.
    Had a nosey there at the kilkenny thread. Alot of them are worried about a bleak few years ahead. We know all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭lim4ev

What do lads here think of where best to position Kyle Hayes? For me I'd play him in half forward line I can see why though people would want him at 6. Also who other than the lads already on panel could we hope can make us better at senior level one for sure for me would be the goalie. Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

lim4ev wrote: »
    What do lads here think of where best to position Kyle Hayes? For me I'd play him in half forward line I can see why though people would want him at 6. Also who other than the lads already on panel could we hope can make us better at senior level one for sure for me would be the goalie. Any thoughts

I agree with half forward line for kyle hayes. Other than whats on the senior panel a lot could make us better. Barry O'Connell for one. He played every match in all ireland winning campaign two years ago under kiely. As far as i know he was never substituted. Twice the player that young hegarty is but if you are not gaa royalty in limerick then off with you. First choice with LIT under two of best hurling heads and most accomplished managers around, both who cant understand why he isnt on senior panel. Watch hayes and o connell playing on same team . Every bit as even as eachother with o connell that bit cuter. Others like him abandoned out there.. Ronan lynch should have been a starter all day long. Yet tom morrisey started . Grand lad but not good enough for senior hurling as he was ladt year anyway. As for Dan??But we have to make room for friends and family. Thats why limerick will never win a senior all ireland. Well done to u21 team. Great achievement for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Great to win that the hard way

Plenty of talent in limerick just need to make it gel

Donnelly comes across as pretty astute and thought tactically we were very solid, used subs well in all matches etc, got match ups right

Think Kiely needs to add someone like this to his set up, we were not wel lset up versus clare and really we should have made it tougher for kk than we did

I'd leave hayes at HF think Hegarty is the one who should move back, but it's a tricky one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Donnelly comes across as pretty astute and thought tactically we were very solid, used subs well in all matches etc, got match ups right

Think Kiely needs to add someone like this to his set up, we were not wel lset up versus clare and really we should have made it tougher for kk than we did

I'd leave hayes at HF think Hegarty is the one who should move back, but it's a tricky one
    Ya I'd have Hayes at centre forward, his work rate will make him effective anywhere and he'll provide a puckout option given his aerial prowess, I think hegarty should be move back to wing back, leave at hannon at 6 and Byrne's tried at midfield, then you have a good physical middle diamond if they gel. I'd say Kiely will want to have a look at Conor Boylan too, has the physical size that is required or senior inter county nowadays...as always patience is required though, I know the calls for u21s to be promoted en mass to the team will start soon enough, Kiely is too astute for that though.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Ya I'd have Hayes at centre forward, his work rate will make him effective anywhere and he'll provide a puckout option given his aerial prowess, I think hegarty should be move back to wing back, leave at hannon at 6 and Byrne's tried at midfield, then you have a good physical middle diamond if they gel. I'd say Kiely will want to have a look at Conor Boylan too, has the physical size that is required or senior inter county nowadays...as always patience is required though, I know the calls for u21s to be promoted en mass to the team will start soon enough, Kiely is too astute for that though.

Really agree with Hegarty to go to hb line and moving Byrnes to midfield plus Hayes for me has to start in hf line don't agree re Boylan not yet anyway very good man to win possession but unless he off loads it he doesn't do a whole pile with it him self but he's v young too. The win has given me a boost anyway what they need to do now is put the heads down stop the chat and work over the winter after their break. By the way do any of ye feel oisin o Reilly looks the real deal ? For me he oozes class on the ball plus he's so fast if he got built up could he do a Conor whelan for us? Can't understand why he didn't get more game time

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

lim4ev wrote: »
    Mehapoy wrote: »

Really agree with Hegarty to go to hb line and moving Byrnes to midfield plus Hayes for me has to start in hf line don't agree re Boylan not yet anyway very good man to win possession but unless he off loads it he doesn't do a whole pile with it him self but he's v young too. The win has given me a boost anyway what they need to do now is put the heads down stop the chat and work over the winter after their break. By the way do any of ye feel oisin o Reilly looks the real deal ? For me he oozes class on the ball plus he's so fast if he got built up could he do a Conor whelan for us? Can't understand why he didn't get more game time
    Was impressed with O'Reilly when he came on, looks to have great pace and very direct, in fairness that limerick u21 forward line were exceptional, very hard to give everybody a chance, he's got another year u21 so would like to let him develop at 21 and club before pitching him in, bit like gillane last year.

No matter how much i try to see it i fail to see hegarty as a worthy limerick senior hurler. I failed to see any greatness in him at u21 back then. Sometimes average and saved by rest of half back line but not great. In my opinion if his father and kiely hadnt hurled together and other connections to influences over limerick gaa then he would not be on team.or panel. Good footballer though. So i just do not get where anybody saw a good preformance from this lad. Yes i have read about good preformamce from him by martin kiely but having been at the same games i failed to see anything of what was written about. If hegarty, tom and dan morrissey, richie mccarthy and seamus hickey are still on panel nexy year i am finished with supporting limerick seniors. Hasn't anybody else heard that the management have not got full say over selection of team? It is costing us the possibility of any success. With them we will only be a match for laois. Yes plenty talent in limerick but they can not gel if they are not on the panel together as they are not selected. Same story all my life and that is the reason we win nothing at senior level. County board and financial backers and hangers-on should keep there nose out of team business. Concentrate on paying bills and forget about trying to influence team matters.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, just because he's someone's son doesn't mean he cant hurl (cooney McInerney) I've seen plenty from hegarty to say he's good enough

Hickey handed TJ reid his arse in 2014, how many others have done that, he's top class when focussed

Granted the other 3 are dubious but are they really protected from on high?

Does anyone know will the minor final between Mungret and Garryspillane be on before the county senior final this yr considering neither team are in the senior final?

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, just because he's someone's son doesn't mean he cant hurl (cooney McInerney) I've seen plenty from hegarty to say he's good enough

Hickey handed TJ reid his arse in 2014, how many others have done that, he's top class when focussed

Granted the other 3 are dubious but are they really protected from on high?

In fairness i would want to be a fair clown to suggest that he cant hurl because he is someones son. I am saying that he is not good enough for county senior hurling and would not have been considered even a little bit if he wasnt someones son. Neither would both morrisseys have made end cut. Tom is close but wont do. But they will be on the team. That is why we wont win. Not because of a manager but because of politics. I am mystified as to how any person has seen enough from him. Maybe i am missing something. I am sure i am not though. One thing i can tell you is kiely doesnt call the shots in limerick hurling.

Hockied wrote: »
    In fairness i would want to be a fair clown to suggest that he cant hurl because he is someones son. I am saying that he is not good enough for county senior hurling and would not have been considered even a little bit if he wasnt someones son. Neither would both morrisseys have made end cut. Tom is close but wont do. But they will be on the team. That is why we wont win. Not because of a manager but because of politics. I am mystified as to how any person has seen enough from him. Maybe i am missing something. I am sure i am not though. One thing i can tell you is kiely doesnt call the shots in limerick hurling.

And to be blunt include richie mc , seamus hickey in that. Hickey can barely strike a ball. He only has a decent day if he is surrounded by hurlers he can handpass to.

Hockied wrote: »
    And to be blunt include richie mc , seamus hickey in that. Hickey can barely strike a ball. He only has a decent day if he is surrounded by hurlers he can handpass to.

Hickey is an average hurler but a serious athlete, and you need a mix.

Hegarty wont make it as a forward but maybe at half back

English was totally off form this year so there really wasn't an alternative to McCarthy was there?

8 places on the U-21 team of the year -

Finn, R & C Lynch, Hayes, Hanley, Ryan, Gillane, Casey

Gillane wins player of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hi folks, anyone here able to shed any light on St Senan's Intermediate team and their strengths, ability etc. - due to play them in the first round of the Intermediate Munster Football in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

Cant post link cos not enough posts but search for Martin Kielys leader article on the recent Co final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

danganabu wrote: »
    Hi folks, anyone here able to shed any light on St Senan's Intermediate team and their strengths, ability etc. - due to play them in the first round of the Intermediate Munster Football in two weeks time.

I travelled out to watch the final under lights in Rathkeale 2 weeks ago. I had watched them easily beat what I considered a useful Claughaun team in the semi.
    They scored 4-12 in that game. In the final they were devastating in the first half scoring 3 goals in about 10 minutes of the first half leading by 9 at H/T.
    But even though Galbally lost 2 important players to injury before half-time, Donovan and Limerick hurler James Ryan they reeled them back to 2 points with 5 mins left but Senans responded with a 1-1 after failing to score for 28 mins.
    Think they finished up with 4-12 in the final too. They have been scoring a few goals in most games. The physical size of their forwards stands out, big men but all very agile. Former Limerick outstanding wing back Conor Mullane plays 11 or 14 and is a fair handful for any defender. He played V Tyrone in the 2000 U-21 final which puts him in the 37/38 year old bracket now. Was a star for Limerick senior team that played in 5 Munster finals V Kerry/Cork.
    Current Limerick senior free taker/full forward Ian Ryan plays centre back and manages to raid for a point or 2 in every game.
    Strong corner forward Hayes is freetaker. Ironically their Keeper is their smallest player but hard to beat.
    Good team to watch and play lovely football. Relegated from senior about 5 years ago, have lost either the final or semi in intermediate every year since.
    Have a feeling that returning to senior was their main aim this year and may be happy with their lot, treating the Munster as bonus territory. I could be wrong on that, just my opinion, but I hope they give it a lash.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gavin O'Mahony and James Ryan both retiring from inter-county hurling, according to The42.ie this week.

St pats are junior champs which is good for city hurling anyone with a report I know kilmallock had a man sent off did the players that were missing v Ardmore play?

NaP the first Limerick club to win four Munsters, top top side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Incredibly powerful team and great panel, missing Dowling today and sill pulled through, the probable final with Cuala will be an absolute belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Delighted for them. Brilliant second half performance.
    Bet some of the 'hurling aristocrats' from the 'hurling strongholds' in Limerick will be crying into their corn-flakes tomorrow morning..:p
    Having a good laugh now at the club who 'threw' a championship game last season to ensure NAP would exit the county championship.
    They got their answer this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

H'on, the club!

4 Munster championships since 2011. A truly amazing era for this edge of the city.

• Advertisement

Yes truly astonishing run for them they're a credit to Limerick hurling on and off the field it's looking like a Nap v Cuala final and if it is twill be a cracker.The thoughts of Mike Casey v Con O Callaghan is something to look forward to of course a bit of hurling to be done by both sides yet but would be a cracker if they were to meet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement