Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

LaVail wrote: »
    Do we have any sort of idea as to roughly when this storm would hit? Monday morning AM or more towards Monday night?

Add 5 hours to these AST times:

144425_most_likely_toa_34.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Thanks! Have hospital appointment in CUH Monday morning and it's a 200 mile round trip for me. Wouldn't be back in Kerry until around 3pm Not sure as to what I should do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

enricoh wrote: »
    Will there be good surfing to be had Monday?! Dont want to take a day off monday n trek west for nothing!

Just make sure you are identifiable when the rescue services recover your body...a beacon would also be of help to save on time!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wow, a 15% strengthening when everyone expected a levelling or slight decrease in intensity. The sea temps in its current position are slightly below marginal so I guess Ophelia is JUST in that zone.

Very interesting 24hrs to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

So thats a hurricane with 225KPH gusts not a million miles away from ourshores :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

How bad is Dublin likely to get hit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

144425.png
    Beaufort scale of Wind force. Storm force = 48 knots plus. The probabilities will start to increase as the timeframe narrows assuming current forecasts are accurate.

The cone is narrowing over Ireland indicating improved forecast track certainty.
    144425_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Ophelia's(ex) coming into view on tomorrows Atlantic Charts from Met Eireann Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Historical position of hurricanes when they transitioned to cat3 or higher.

01VViGo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

According to the HWRF model, the extra tropical cyclone will make landfall somewhere between Clare and Galway. Could be nasty on the E coast as well - if the wind is SE or even SSE coastal Wicklow and Dublin could get a hammering.

hwrf-p_mslp_wind_17L_19.png

Interesting model: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hwrf-p&region=17L&pkg=mslp_wind&runtime=2017101406&fh=57&xpos=0&ypos=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Still nothing on RTE radio news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Still nothing on RTE radio news

They copied and pasted the Met Eireann warning on their website and that's it,many older people listen to the radio and won't be checking online for weather warnings,surely RTE and the regional stations would have something by now.All I heard so far was a professor being interviewed by Matt Cooper yesterday before these upgrades.

The three latest wind speed probability charts. Tropical storm level winds almost certain for the entire country at this point:

144425.png

More intense 50kt winds looking more and more likely in the southwest:

144425.png

And starting to see hurricane force winds becoming quite likely in those areas too:

144425.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

star gazer wrote: »
    Beaufort scale of Wind force. Storm force = 48 knots plus. The probabilities will start to increase as the timeframe narrows assuming current forecasts are accurate.
    ]

"Storm" force on that chart refers to 34+ knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Anyone who suggests this will just be another windy day are in for a shock. This is looking like a once in a lifetime event. Its a stronger storm than Debbie in 1961.Be ready and prepared and hopefully it wont be as bad as its looking now.

I have a live Youtube stream set up for the event here in Waterford City. You can also check live data on my website www.waterfordweather.com

Looking at some of the models waterford might get a hammering.

It doesnt, there are 3 charts and that was the 50kt one.

The Chart is for 50 knot-plus wind, roughly storm force wind on the Beaufort scale.

Rte
    School buses operated by Bus Eireann in Cork, Kerry, Clare, Mayo and Galway will not run on Monday due to the expected arrival of the remains of Hurricane Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

star gazer wrote: »

Guess the Limerick kids are just gonna have to battle on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Let's just take a moment: there is a Category 3 Major Hurricane with sustained winds of almost 200km/h hurtling directly towards Ireland. This is unprecedented - it has never happened before.

And RTÉ have broadcast absolutely nothing about it of any substance since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Rte playing catch up now with bus Eireann news. Quickly becoming a major story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Titain

Since this is a cat 3 now, what will it reduce to, and what are the chances of it shifting before hitting us (ireland)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

TBH I think that red warning should include the entire southern coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

shmaupel wrote: »
    Guess the Limerick kids are just gonna have to battle on :)

ill never understand that...any time there is a warning for that side of the island limerick is always left out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen some info saying the winds would track quite badly to the east of the storm path so will exposed areas of Dublin be hit bad by the winds and what's the likely hood of thunder storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Can't understand why Co. Limerick isn't covered under the Red warning. I presume that could change before Monday????

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919224875000238080
    Plenty of cloud on the forecast track.

wv0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First of the 12z models

ICON

icon-0-48.png?14-12

icon-0-51.png?14-12

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This cat-3 development means very little to the forecast model performance since it was expected to be a strong cat-2 anyway and the extratropical storm depictions on most models have been near theoretical peak intensity anyway (referring to positions south of Ireland).

This is really just one more cherry in a cherry pie situation, it has no direct implication on the outcome, that is mostly going to be a matter of the dynamics of the upper low forming in the trough by late Sunday and into Monday. Ex-Ophelia will rapidly phase with this upper low, and the dynamics will determine the details but I can't see much variation from what most on here have concluded, level 3 conditions for southwest and some west coast areas, possibly extending some distance into the south-central inland counties.

ME have their warnings out but I think it might be possible to see Limerick, Waterford, and even Carlow, Kilkenny and Tipps (south) added to red status.

As always the boundary between levels will not neatly coincide with county boundaries anyway, if I lived in a well-exposed area of any county I would assume the risk of level 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

You will all laugh at this but is this an evacuation situation for Southwestern coasts

Advertisement