Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ricero wrote: »
    Did anyone actually enjoy that ?

Better then Mayweather v Pacquiao / Haye v Vladimir Klitschko.

But that is not saying much.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

RoryMac wrote: »
    He landed 1 punch of significance, the uppercut in the 1st

Even that barely registered on Floyd.

I can't believe people aren't seeing what a farce it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Going into Round 6 Conor had outlanded Floyd 51-40 in punches according to Compubox.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

everlast75 wrote: »
    One of the boxer commentators to mma commentator

Boxer - *laughing* "So can we now say we are better than you?"

MMA guy - "can i kick you in the leg first?"

Boxer *shíts himself*

grow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Floyd hasn't boxed in over 2 years, comparing Conors stats with Floyd's other fights is fine but hardly comparable. Floyd wasnt fighting a boxer tonight and worked his gameplan for that and executed it without much fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Yeah he really looked stupid walking away with 100m alright :rolleyes:

He has just got more money from one single fight than 99.99% of boxers will make in their life time. But yeah, what a fool.

It's amazing that every criticism of McGregor and people immediately throw out the "he's made loads of money you can't criticise him now defence"

Are people not allowed to criticise him as a sportsperson?

After all his trash taking he should be embarrassed not being able to back it up.That would certainly be the case for any other sportsperson who engages in trash talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Paully D wrote: »
    You know McGregor has done something right when even boxing fans are bitter in this victory.

What has he done right? The whole fight was a shambles. He is on the way to being the greatest MMA fighter perhaps of all time, this was just a sideshow to top up his bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Mayweather didn't try in the early rounds, you were imagining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Going into Round 6 Conor had outlanded Floyd 51-40 in punches according to Compubox.

Unfortunately boxing matches last 12 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Floyd threw lots of hard shots in the early rounds but Conor avoided them easily.

Lot of people saying now that Floyd didn't try early on and that's absolute nonsense.

I'd course he was trying. He was just letting McGregor tíre himself out. He then increased the intensity of his punches. It was pretty easy for him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yes, cos Floyd only joined into the fight in round 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I wonder would Conor take the same money to jump in with Canelo now that he's a pro boxer that can go 10 with the GOAT?

No way. Conor will run a mile from boxing now I'd say. A relatively weak but highly skilled 40 year old schooled him. A young fresh powerful boxer would knock conor out no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Asus X540L wrote:
    What's Carl Frock's problem? He seems like a right bellend.

He has taken too many punches to the head in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Conor landed 111 punches and still never made a mark on Floyd. His usual gambit of fighting lads much smaller than himself doesn't seem to translate into the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Mayweather didn't try in the early rounds, you were imagining it.

Mayweather took 2 to figure him out and it was plain sailing from there on.......didnt think it be that bad but my god that was a proper schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

backspin. wrote: »
    No way. Conor will run a mile from boxing now I'd say. A relatively weak but highly skilled 40 year old schooled him. A young fresh powerful boxer would knock conor out no problem.

I'd say a fight with Malignaggi is a possibility.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Let's just hope to **** Conor leaves the Boxing to the boxers in future

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Conor landed 111 punches and still never made a mark on Floyd. His usual gambit of fighting lads much smaller than himself doesn't seem to translate into the ring.

He's not a boxer and it clearly showed. Completely out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm explaining myself without the use of memes like a 12 year old

You can try to come across like a boss you ain't, give fcuking credit to Conor if you don't want to skip on pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Floyd threw lots of hard shots in the early rounds but Conor avoided them easily.

Lot of people saying now that Floyd didn't try early on and that's absolute nonsense.

I am boxing

i will stop him in the first round

open your eyes, they only did this for money

megregor couldnt give a toss that he lost

shure youse all still love him

and he after pocketing circa 100 mill

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

RoryMac wrote:
    I think this experience will stand to McGregor when he returns to the UFC and his standup will be way ahead of anyone on the roster

Absolutely. In fact this experience in fighting a top 10 (5?) All time boxer and lasting 10 rounds imo will see him unbeatable at his weight class.
    Nate Diaz 3, here we go!!!!

PS: I'm salty that it didn't go the distance. Fecking called it from the get go only to be smited by that dastardly Mayweather

PPS: Did walshb turn face in the middle of the fight??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Please god no,tonight was bad enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

After all his trash taking he should be embarrassed not being able to back it up.That would certainly be the case for any other sportsperson who engages in trash talking.

I think most people see past the trash talking as the promoting it really is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

user2011 wrote: »
    You can try to come across like a boss you ain't, give fcuking credit to Conor if you don't want to skip on pal.

Lose the attitude and keep it civil..or "skip on pal"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It' ridiculous that McGregor just went 10 rounds with Mayweather and people here can't even give him an ounce of credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

After tonight im sure many like myself would not like to see mcgregor in a boxing ring again

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I wonder would Conor take the same money to jump in with Canelo now that he's a pro boxer that can go 10 with the GOAT?

I don't think he should ever step in a boxing ring again, conor is a great fighter but he is at too much of a disadvantage in these boxing matches.

Plus the floyd match was special, I don't think it would get the same kind of attention if he was to fight Canelo etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Please God no.

MMA only. I just can't listen to Malignaggi anymore or the boxing forum guys.

It was fun to dream but there was delusion in those dreams too. Proud of Conor 100% but let's do Woodley for welterweight strap :pac: He's unbooked, Conor looked drained at 153lbs, I don't trust Khabib and Lee-Ferguson tied up.

Advertisement