Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football ranking table

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭laoisman11

tanko wrote: »
    How many points would Cavan have gained if they had beaten Kerry?

2.61 rating points.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I do love how NY rise up periodically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I do love how NY rise up periodically.

Just sit there all year, waiting for somebody like Waterford or Wicklow to fall below them. Better off do nothing instead of losing at home by 11 points to Carlow I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

laoisman11 wrote: »
    2.61 rating points.....

Thanks Maurice Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

• Order has been restored to the top 3 after last weekend's results, due to Mayo's win in Omagh and the stalemates in Cavan and Ballyshannon
    • The big winner though was Louth, who gain 3 rating points and jump 3 places after beating Tipperary in Thurles; Tipp drop 3 places as a result
    • The other notable winner was Offaly, achieving 2.02 rating points for their away win over Sligo
    • Derry are now at their lowest ranking since February 2013

#|Δ Rank|Team|Rating|Δ Rating
    1 | = | Dublin | 108.71 | 0.00
    2 | ▲ 2 | Mayo | 100.17 | 1.63
    3 | | Kerry | 98.94 | -1.11
    4 | | Donegal | 98.27 | -1.25
    5 | = | Tyrone | 95.21 | -1.63
    6 | ▲ 2 | Monaghan | 91.30 | 1.25
    7 | = | Galway | 90.97 | 0.79
    8 | | Kildare | 89.77 | 1.17
    9 | ▼ 3 | Tipperary | 87.20 | -3.00
    10 | = | Clare | 87.11 | -1.17
    11 | = | Cavan | 87.01 | 1.11
    12 | = | Cork | 86.72 | 1.22
    13 | | Meath | 84.69 | 1.77
    14 | | Westmeath | 84.30 | 1.36
    15 | | Roscommon | 81.32 | 0.00
    16 | | Fermanagh | 80.93 | -1.77
    17 | = | Armagh | 80.42 | 0.28
    18 | ▲ 3 | Louth | 79.68 | 3.00
    19 | | Derry | 78.49 | -1.22
    20 | = | Down | 76.69 | -0.79
    21 | ▼ 2 | Longford | 76.10 | -1.73
    22 | ▲ 2 | Offaly | 75.12 | 2.02
    23 | ▲ 2 | Laois | 74.27 | 1.73
    24 | ▼ 2 | Sligo | 73.24 | -2.02
    25 | ▼ 2 | Wexford | 72.62 | -1.36
    26 | = | Antrim | 70.61 | -0.28
    27 | = | Limerick | 69.46 | 1.31
    28 | | Carlow | 66.06 | 1.68
    29 | | Leitrim | 64.98 | 0.54
    30 | = | Waterford | 57.57 | -1.31
    31 | | New York | 57.16 | 0.00
    32 | | Wicklow | 55.89 | -1.68
    33 | = | London | 55.47 | -0.54

Thanks.
    Do Dublin have to run up a cricket score against one of the top 6 to gain more points?

• Advertisement

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Do Dublin have to run up a cricket score against one of the top 6 to gain more points?

For a more highly rated team to gain rating points, the team they are playing has to be within 12, 15 or 18 rating points, depending if the game is played at home, at a neutral venue or away, respectively, for the higher rated team. If the team they are playing against are outside of these bounds, then no rating points are exchanged should the favourites win. If they lose, they lose the maximum allowed.

To take the case of Dublin, they would gain rating points if they were to beat teams ranked 2-4 in Croke Park, teams ranked 2-5 at neutral venues and teams ranked 2-7 away from home. Should they beat Monaghan this weekend, they will get something small.

The rating difference between the teams before the game has a much greater influence on rating points exchanged than the score difference at the end.

Hope that that makes sense..........

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

For a more highly rated team to gain rating points, the team they are playing has to be within 12, 15 or 18 rating points, depending if the game is played at home, at a neutral venue or away, respectively, for the higher rated team. If the team they are playing against are outside of these bounds, then no rating points are exchanged should the favourites win. If they lose, they lose the maximum allowed.

To take the case of Dublin, they would gain rating points if they were to beat teams ranked 2-4 in Croke Park, teams ranked 2-5 at neutral venues and teams ranked 2-7 away from home. Should they beat Monaghan this weekend, they will get something small.

The rating difference between the teams before the game has a much greater influence on rating points exchanged than the score difference at the end.

Dublin are down four rating points from their peak. The system is saying they are more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dublin are down four rating points from their peak. The system is saying they are more vulnerable.

Which probably makes some sense as they have drawn with Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry.. so maybe a chance of them getting caught in a league final, but in my opinion not in championship.. you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Should they beat Monaghan this weekend, . Grasping at a straw there . Monaghan for the final:))))(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

so meath are not one of the worst counties in Ireland at football? why do people say the last year or so that meath hurlers are better thaan meath footballers and meath is now a hurling county? according to this they are respectable enough at 13. my father reckons they are within the worst 5 counties in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The "boy who cried wolf" should be changed to "the boy who cried that he's just seen the worst Meath performance of all time". I can barely remember the good times for Meath, but if internet commentary and the media is anything to go by I've been lucky to see dozens and dozens of record breaking worst Meath performances of all time, each somehow worse than the last. What a time to be alive.

Either that or Meath have a lot of drama queen fans who struggle to deal with our current state so can't contain the hyperbole. I'd go for the latter.

At the moment we are where I reckon we deserve to be, a mid table division 2 side. I wouldn't fear anyone in Leinster (bar the Dubs), though our qualifier record these last few years has been very disappointing.

As for Meath hurling, I'm a big fan and have followed them to all sorts of exotic spots from Athleague to Tralee to Ballycran, but anyone who ever seriously reckoned the hurlers are better than our footballers needs to lay off whatever they are smoking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    so meath are not one of the worst counties in Ireland at football? why do people say the last year or so that meath hurlers are better thaan meath footballers and meath is now a hurling county? according to this they are respectable enough at 13. my father reckons they are within the worst 5 counties in ireland
    Is he a Meath man? Hyperbolic to say the least. I think some of the older generation of Meath fans (as CR intimated below) are prone to this when it comes to the demise of Meath given that they lived through nearly 15 years of Meath (more or less) being there or thereabouts every year from the mid 80s to the early 2000s. While I can remember 1996-2001, I was too young to really savour it so I've pretty much known only mediocrity since.
    The "Meath is now a hurling county" stuff came about after the fantastic Christy Ring victory last year coupled with the dismal season for the footballers. I'd say it was also a dig at McEntee's "Burn all the hurleys" comment.
    The "boy who cried wolf" should be changed to "the boy who cried that he's just seen the worst Meath performance of all time". I can barely remember the good times for Meath, but if internet commentary and the media is anything to go by I've been lucky to see dozens and dozens of record breaking worst Meath performances of all time, each somehow worse than the last. What a time to be alive.

Either that or Meath have a lot of drama queen fans who struggle to deal with our current state so can't contain the hyperbole. I'd go for the latter.

At the moment we are where I reckon we deserve to be, a mid table division 2 side. I wouldn't fear anyone in Leinster (bar the Dubs), though our qualifier record these last few years has been very disappointing.

As for Meath hurling, I'm a big fan and have followed them to all sorts of exotic spots from Athleague to Tralee to Ballycran, but anyone who ever seriously reckoned the hurlers are better than our footballers needs to lay off whatever they are smoking.
    I suppose it's all relative. The hurling rankings thread hasn't been updated this year, but I know at the end of last season the hurlers were ranked higher than the footballers. However, if Meath were to play the top 8-10 hurling teams, the margin between them would be much more than if the footballers were to play the same ranked teams.

yes this is what i was thinking. i think the hurling faans love to get a dig at the footballers when there goiing bad. i just noted to someone who would be a hurling fan that clare away in ennis would be a tough place to win and if we bet them it would be a great win. i was told on saturday that clare would beat meath, cause meath were useless and fermanagh were one of the worst football counties in ireland thats how we bet them last week. then on sunday evening they said meath were playing a crap clare team and thats why they won handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is he a Meath man? Hyperbolic to say the least. I think some of the older generation of Meath fans (as CR intimated below) are prone to this when it comes to the demise of Meath given that they lived through nearly 15 years of Meath (more or less) being there or thereabouts every year from the mid 80s to the early 2000s. While I can remember 1996-2001, I was too young to really savour it so I've pretty much known only mediocrity since.
    The "Meath is now a hurling county" stuff came about after the fantastic Christy Ring victory last year coupled with the dismal season for the footballers. I'd say it was also a dig at McEntee's "Burn all the hurleys" comment.

I suppose it's all relative. The hurling rankings thread hasn't been updated this year, but I know at the end of last season the hurlers were ranked higher than the footballers. However, if Meath were to play the top 8-10 hurling teams, the margin between them would be much more than if the footballers were to play the same ranked teams.

So Meath lost to Dublin by 10 points in last years leinster, by 16 points in the 2014 final. Would the hurlers lose to Tipp by more? Not that much in it.

Of course, Meath is not a hurling county, no more than Kerry.

At the very least you could argue its considerably underperforming its potential in football, and outperforming in hurling.

if meath played tipps first team in a hurling qualifier then yes we would get destroyed. meath were beaten 0-21 to 0-11 last year , i think if we played tipp in hurling it could be shocking. i would put a score of 5-26 to 1-10 as being fairly accurate it could be a lot worse though. in 1998 we were beaten 4-28 to 0-08 points by offaly in leinster champioship. offaly wwent on to win that all ireland

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if meath played tipps first team in a hurling qualifier then yes we would get destroyed. meath were beaten 0-21 to 0-11 last year , i think if we played tipp in hurling it could be shocking. i would put a score of 5-26 to 1-10 as being fairly accurate it could be a lot worse though. in 1998 we were beaten 4-28 to 0-08 points by offaly in leinster champioship. offaly wwent on to win that all ireland

The unfortunate thing is Meath don't ever get to play Tipp so you'll never know.

It seems strange that Carlow could be playing Dublin in the football championships; and yet the Carlow hurling team which is relatively much strong doesn't get to play in the Leinster championship.

I wouldn't see Meath as being in the same position......but same logic applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So Meath lost to Dublin by 10 points in last years leinster, by 16 points in the 2014 final. Would the hurlers lose to Tipp by more? Not that much in it.

Of course, Meath is not a hurling county, no more than Kerry.

At the very least you could argue its considerably underperforming its potential in football, and outperforming in hurling.

I follow the Meath hurlers more than the footballers, but to say they're as close to Tipp as Meath footballers are to Dublin is fantasy stuff. If Meath got within 10 points of Tipp in a championship game there'd be celebrations held and commemorative DVDs released. Meath lost at home by 10 points or so to Offaly in the Walsh cup earlier this year and it was treated as a great result and a sign of progress, yet Tipp effortlessly swat Offaly aside by 20 points or so when they play.

Comparing with football isn't valid either, in football an inferior team can try to set up defensively to stifle the other team which keeps both teams scores low. It's much more difficult to do in hurling where the scores are much faster and from further out.

And while it's not championship, Meath played Tipp's (mostly) second team in a hurling challenge a few weeks ago and lost by about 40 points.

I hate to look like I'm revelling in the (relatively) low standing of our hurlers, but the notion that we're anywhere near the top is deluded, as is the notion that our hurlers are doing better than our footballers .

I follow the Meath hurlers more than the footballers, but to say they're as close to Tipp as Meath footballers are to Dublin is fantasy stuff. If Meath got within 10 points of Tipp in a championship game there'd be celebrations held and commemorative DVDs released. Meath lost at home by 10 points or so to Offaly in the Walsh cup earlier this year and it was treated as a great result and a sign of progress, yet Tipp effortlessly swat Offaly aside by 20 points or so when they play.

Comparing with football isn't valid either, in football an inferior team can try to set up defensively to stifle the other team which keeps both teams scores low. It's much more difficult to do in hurling where the scores are much faster and from further out.

And while it's not championship, Meath played Tipp's (mostly) second team in a hurling challenge a few weeks ago and lost by about 40 points.

I hate to look like I'm revelling in the (relatively) low standing of our hurlers, but the notion that we're anywhere near the top is deluded, as is the notion that our hurlers are doing better than our footballers .

Firstly

I didn't say Meath hurlers aren't as close to Tipp hurlers, as Meath footballers are to Dublin.

I was saying - that if Meath footballers are that far behind Dublin, maybe its not something the footballers should take to much comfort from that their 'gap' to the best team isn't as wide as it is for the hurlers. (Particularly when the county is 80% football 20% hurling).

Second, hurling matches are far higher scoring than football, as you know. Recent hurling finals have had on average nearly twice as many aggregate scores to football.

On that basis - a 10 point defeat in football is more like a 16-18 point defeat in hurling. A 16 point defeat in football is more like a 22-24 point defeat in Hurling. I think Meath hurlers would fancy themselves with a 24 point spread against Tipp.

Final point, I have no doubt Meath football will come back strong in the next few years, and l look forward to it when it happens. One of the best footballing teams in the country when they are on form, and also - great set of fans, they really get behind the team and fill croker like no other county outside Dublin.

7 rounds of league games over, just 4 finals to go before we draw a close to the “secondary” competition:
    • Meath gained 3.06 rating points and hop 3 places in the ranking follwing a big win away in Ennis; Clare drop 4 places as a result
    • Carlow put some space between themselves and the bottom 5 with a big win over a depleted Wexford side
    • Derry jump 3 places after a good, but ultimately fruitless, win in Fermanagh
    • New York supporters will follow with great interest the rise of their team through the rankings (or they might realize that it is because others around them are dropping, but hey.............until Leitrim are drawn to play away in New York in the championship, this anomaly will remain!)

1 | = | Dublin | 108.77 | 0.06
    2 | = | Mayo | 101.18 | 1.01
    3 | = | Kerry | 100.18 | 1.24
    4 | = | Donegal | 97.26 | -1.01
    5 | = | Tyrone | 93.97 | -1.24
    6 | | Galway | 92.05 | 1.08
    7 | | Monaghan | 91.24 | -0.06
    8 | = | Kildare | 88.69 | -1.08
    9 | = | Tipperary | 88.32 | 1.12
    10 | ▲ 2 | Meath | 87.75 | 3.06
    11 | | Cork | 85.42 | -1.30
    12 | | Cavan | 85.24 | -1.77
    13 | | Westmeath | 84.30 | 0.00
    14 | ▼ 4 | Clare | 84.05 | -3.06
    15 | = | Roscommon | 83.09 | 1.77
    16 | ▲ 2 | Derry | 80.53 | 2.04
    17 | = | Armagh | 79.30 | -1.12
    18 | ▼ 2 | Fermanagh | 78.89 | -2.04
    19 | | Down | 77.99 | 1.30
    20 | ▼ ▼ | Louth | 77.24 | -2.44
    21 | | Offaly | 76.23 | 1.11
    22 | | Longford | 75.85 | -0.25
    23 | | Sligo | 75.68 | 2.44
    24 | | Laois | 73.16 | -1.11
    25 | | Antrim | 70.86 | 0.25
    26 | | Wexford | 69.84 | -2.78
    27 | = | Limerick | 69.46 | 0.00
    28 | = | Carlow | 68.84 | 2.78
    29 | = | Leitrim | 65.44 | 0.46
    30 | | New York | 57.16 | 0.00
    31 | | Waterford | 57.11 | -0.46
    32 | = | Wicklow | 55.89 | 0.00
    33 | = | London | 55.47 | 0.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ugh, I've been dreading this all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

7 rounds of league games over, just 4 finals to go before we draw a close to the “secondary” competition:
    • Meath gained 3.06 rating points and hop 3 places in the ranking follwing a big win away in Ennis; Clare drop 4 places as a result
    • Carlow put some space between themselves and the bottom 5 with a big win over a depleted Wexford side
    • Derry jump 3 places after a good, but ultimately fruitless, win in Fermanagh
    • New York supporters will follow with great interest the rise of their team through the rankings (or they might realize that it is because others around them are dropping, but hey.............until Leitrim are drawn to play away in New York in the championship, this anomaly will remain!)

1 | = | Dublin | 108.77 | 0.06
    2 | = | Mayo | 101.18 | 1.01
    3 | = | Kerry | 100.18 | 1.24
    4 | = | Donegal | 97.26 | -1.01
    5 | = | Tyrone | 93.97 | -1.24
    6 | | Galway | 92.05 | 1.08
    7 | | Monaghan | 91.24 | -0.06
    8 | = | Kildare | 88.69 | -1.08
    9 | = | Tipperary | 88.32 | 1.12
    10 | ▲ 2 | Meath | 87.75 | 3.06
    11 | | Cork | 85.42 | -1.30
    12 | | Cavan | 85.24 | -1.77
    13 | | Westmeath | 84.30 | 0.00
    14 | ▼ 4 | Clare | 84.05 | -3.06
    15 | = | Roscommon | 83.09 | 1.77
    16 | ▲ 2 | Derry | 80.53 | 2.04
    17 | = | Armagh | 79.30 | -1.12
    18 | ▼ 2 | Fermanagh | 78.89 | -2.04
    19 | | Down | 77.99 | 1.30
    20 | ▼ ▼ | Louth | 77.24 | -2.44
    21 | | Offaly | 76.23 | 1.11
    22 | | Longford | 75.85 | -0.25
    23 | | Sligo | 75.68 | 2.44
    24 | | Laois | 73.16 | -1.11
    25 | | Antrim | 70.86 | 0.25
    26 | | Wexford | 69.84 | -2.78
    27 | = | Limerick | 69.46 | 0.00
    28 | = | Carlow | 68.84 | 2.78
    29 | = | Leitrim | 65.44 | 0.46
    30 | | New York | 57.16 | 0.00
    31 | | Waterford | 57.11 | -0.46
    32 | = | Wicklow | 55.89 | 0.00
    33 | = | London | 55.47 | 0.00

Odd that Monaghan who pushed the best team in the country to the limit should drop a place while Galway who scrap home against Kildare go above them. Victory yesterday would have seen Monaghan top division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Condenser wrote: »
    Odd that Monaghan who pushed the best team in the country to the limit should drop a place while Galway who scrap home against Kildare go above them. Victory yesterday would have seen Monaghan top division 1.

Victory yesterday would also have seen a huge jump in ranking points, and they'd be 5th of im not mistaken. But they didn't win, and in a results based business, the rankings account for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Most sports ranking systems are fairly basic and poor indicators of actual relative strengths of sides. It's futile if you're looking for it to be a guide from that perspective. It's actually futile from any perspective but I guess he's not harming anyone and I'm sure it keeps him off the streets.

outright betting markets are usually more spot on when it comes actually nailing the relative abilities of sides.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Most sports ranking systems are fairly basic and poor indicators of actual relative strengths of sides. It's futile if you're looking for it to be a guide from that perspective. It's actually futile from any perspective but I guess he's not harming anyone and I'm sure it keeps him off the streets.

outright betting markets are usually more spot on when it comes actually nailing the relative abilities of sides.

If you look at the GAA thread in the gambling forum, this system comes remarkably close to what the betting markets do. Bookies use similar ranking systems to this to come up with initial odds and handicaps. They then adjust these odds based on things like public perception and the amount being placed on either team. But statistics and ranking systems like this can be incredibly accurate. And this particular one has shown to be very accurate.

Even more interestingly, if you search the gambling forum, laoisman attempted to see if this system had a better success rate than the bookies odds for handicaps. It was a complete failure, but all it showed was that the bookies can account for things like injured players and what teams have to play for much more accurately. For the most part, for the majority of matches, the bookies offered handicaps identical to what this system predicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Django99 wrote: »
    If you look at the GAA thread in the gambling forum, this system comes remarkably close to what the betting markets do. Bookies use similar ranking systems to this to come up with initial odds and handicaps. They then adjust these odds based on things like public perception and the amount being placed on either team. But statistics and ranking systems like this can be incredibly accurate. And this particular one has shown to be very accurate.

Not diminishing the rankings system here, it's very interesting. But the bolded isnt true

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Not diminishing the rankings system here, it's very interesting. But the bolded isnt true

Not with the same method as in this exact system, but its broadly similar. Teams are basically ranked based on past results, with more recent results more important. That's what this ranking system is and that's how a bookie calculates odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As always these rankings have to be looked at as the bigger picture rather than a reflection of what just happened last weekend.

Are Monaghan the 7th best team in the country ?

Many would agree that that is pretty accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Django99 wrote: »

Even more interestingly, if you search the gambling forum, laoisman attempted to see if this system had a better success rate than the bookies odds for handicaps. It was a complete failure, but all it showed was that the bookies can account for things like injured players and what teams have to play for much more accurately. For the most part, for the majority of matches, the bookies offered handicaps identical to what this system predicts.

No there's simply not enough metrics for it to be any way credible. Look how complex the criteria is for college football in America to determine their rankings and they even still constantly question the validity. It's very difficult to do right but this doesn't come anywhere close.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Rekop dog wrote: »
    No there's simply not enough metrics for it to be any way credible. Look how complex the criteria is for college football in America to determine their rankings and they even still constantly question the validity. It's very difficult to do right but this doesn't come anywhere close.
    But laoisman knows that it's not perfect. He states it in the very first post of the thread. He's doing this completely voluntarily and it stretches back decades so it's vey interesting for most of us to look back on.

You are obviously more than welcome to set up a more complex ranking system if you wish, but please don't drag what is an extremely interesting thread down with this sort of post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

But laoisman knows that it's not perfect. He states it in the very first post of the thread. He's doing this completely voluntarily and it stretches back decades so it's vey interesting for most of us to look back on.

You are obviously more than welcome to set up a more complex ranking system if you wish, but please don't drag what is an extremely interesting thread down with this sort of post.

I consider the ranking table here impressively accurate.

Some of the score predictions from the championship are very laudable, based on nothing but data (no injuries/external factors/ morale issues etc factored in).

Advertisement