Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    12 monkeys season 1
    captain philips
    groundhog day added today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched For The Love of Spock last night and would highly recommend it. Its a documentary about Leonard Nimoy made by his son.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    12 monkeys season 1
    captain philips
    groundhog day added today

12 Monkeys is pretty decent and worth a look: I openly confess to poo-pooing it as a cynical nostalgia cash-in way back in the day, but its mysteries and approach has been solid at worst, genuinely thrilling at best. As usual with Netflix's slightly wonky 'scheduling' though, they only have the first season, despite the show heading into its third this year.

pixelburp wrote: »
    12 Monkeys is pretty decent and worth a look: I openly confess to poo-pooing it as a cynical nostalgia cash-in way back in the day, but its mysteries and approach has been solid at worst, genuinely thrilling at best. As usual with Netflix's slightly wonky 'scheduling' though, they only have the first season, despite the show heading into its third this year.

that might have something to do with the sci fi channel showing it originally

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aye, it's not like they aren't putting up the latest series they are legally allowed to.

• Advertisement

the expanse has just started season 2 on sci fi in the US , i think we have to wait for that to finish before we get it over here on netflix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm aware it's not a Netflix original, but Netflix can be a bit inconsistent on how much of a show they'll have. Obviously it's down to rights negotiations with respective channels, but it can be annoying when a show is a season or two out of date, such as with the Good Wife that until recently enough only had seasons 1 to 4, 5. Even terrestrial channels are a bit quicker on the pulse getting Stateside TV.

Anyway, 12 Monkeys TV show - worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Even terrestrial channels are a bit quicker on the pulse getting Stateside TV.

That's because they'll have probably have negotiated exclusive right to show the programme in that territory for a certain period of time so Netflix will have to wait until that is time is up before putting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

thanks to those who suggested "el marginal" will give it a shot. The 3% is worth a watch too - also south american.

Shameless U.S. well worth watching too. So far a few storylines similar to the UK ones (same episodes basically) but still interesting and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm aware it's not a Netflix original, but Netflix can be a bit inconsistent on how much of a show they'll have. Obviously it's down to rights negotiations with respective channels, but it can be annoying when a show is a season or two out of date, such as with the Good Wife that until recently enough only had seasons 1 to 4, 5. Even terrestrial channels are a bit quicker on the pulse getting Stateside TV.

Anyway, 12 Monkeys TV show - worth a watch.

Exact same point stands.

They will be a season in arrears because the network has to have some exclusivity for bankrolling the show in question.

On The Expanse, I thought we'd get it weekly but seems that is not to be the case unfortunately!

• Advertisement

With regards to the Expanse -- wasn't it a case that SyFy f*cked them over with the weekly release? I know there was something going on behind the scenes anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

With regards to the Expanse -- wasn't it a case that SyFy f*cked them over with the weekly release? I know there was something going on behind the scenes anyway.
    Is that what occurred? I had thought it was a weekly basis originally but now it's a season dump just after it finishes airing. I'm going to wait for the full season to appear because for one it suits the show as it's heavily serialised but also I can actually contribute, in some tiny way, to its ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MiyaArcher613

I just finished watching 4 seasons of Arrow and waiting for the 5th one. Also waiting for the 5th season of Elementary. These are some of the shows I'm obsessed with on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MiyaArcher613

I just finished watching 4 seasons of Arrow and waiting for the 5th one. Also waiting for the 5th season of Elementary. These are some of the shows I'm obsessed with on Netflix.

Watch Gantz: 0 (O?) last night and I was blown away by it - it's done in the same style as Polar Express & other movies, but the graphics were to the extent that it was so easy to forget I was watching an animation.

Looked at the first couple of minutes of Gantz: 0 and the animation was absolutely superb. Will go back and watch it.

Watched White Helmets last night and was blown away by it. It's about the Syrian rescue workers that are first on the scene after bomb strikes. Incredibly moving and hard to believe the bravery and humanity of these men in the face of the devastation they encounter everyday. A must watch.

Looked at the first couple of minutes of Gantz: 0 and the animation was absolutely superb. Will go back and watch it.

Oh man - wait until it really gets going. It's so surreal seeing photorealistic animation and then these monsters just wandering around.

Relatively likeable characters, but tends to jump into the cliches you find in a lot of anime.

Also extremely gorey and bloody.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Is that what occurred? I had thought it was a weekly basis originally but now it's a season dump just after it finishes airing. I'm going to wait for the full season to appear because for one it suits the show as it's heavily serialised but also I can actually contribute, in some tiny way, to its ratings.

Maybe I got it kind of incorrect, but I do remember that the big thing was that it was supposed to be a weekly release and then that didn't come about.

Neither of which are on the Irish Netflix…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sky probably have the exclusive rights to the latest seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The Seven Five is indeed great viewing! Jesus, The Wire practically wrote itself!

My daughter and I watched The Prince of Egypt together, the 1998 Dreamworks animation . It completely won me over. It has a very particular tone and style, and whether you have faith or not, it's a fantastic story and can be treated as such.

Warning: definitely not for younger children. Dark and violent at times as you would expect. 10+ I would say. The IMDB rating is skewed by very low ratings left by people that thought it was too violent for children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sadie06 wrote: »
    My daughter and I watched The Prince of Egypt together, the 1998 Dreamworks animation . It completely won me over. It has a very particular tone and style, and whether you have faith or not, it's a fantastic story and can be treated as such.

Warning: definitely not for younger children. Dark and violent at times as you would expect. 10+ I would say. The IMDB rating is skewed by very low ratings left by people that thought it was too violent for children.

I watched this myself last week. Very dark. Not sure this is a spoiler but just in case
    the scene where God kills all the firstborns :eek:
    Full dark, no stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I watched this myself last week. Very dark. Not sure this is a spoiler but just in case
    the scene where God kills all the firstborns :eek:
    Full dark, no stars.

For sure! My daughter has nerves of steel though. We went to see Lion the other day and she didn't shed a tear, but if an animal is in peril she's a mess.

Great song too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

sadie06 wrote: »
    The Seven Five is indeed great viewing! Jesus, The Wire practically wrote itself!

The Prince of Egypt is my favourite animation film. I love the songs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

For people who like The Prince of Egypt Ye should check out Joseph king of Dreams another dreamworks animation, similar to the Prince of Egypt. Brilliant aswell. Really nice soundtrack in that aswell.

Does anyone know the name of the documentary series that was about famous rivalries throughout history? I was looking at in only about a week ago but can't seem to find it now. It had maybe 5 or 6 episodes and one was Edison vs Tesla and one was something to do with Smith & Wesson, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,318 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does anyone know the name of the documentary series that was about famous rivalries throughout history? I was looking at in only about a week ago but can't seem to find it now. It had maybe 5 or 6 episodes and one was Edison vs Tesla and one was something to do with Smith & Wesson, I think.

American Genius made by National Geographic Channel.

American Genius made by National Geographic Channel.

Yes, that's it, thank you kindly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Clouds Of Sils Maria
    I'm not sure what to make of this. Juliette Binoche gave a great performance, while Kristen Stewart's performance seemed to be pretty much the same as she gave in Adventureland and close enough to what fragments I've seen of Twilight. Moretz did what she could with a role that was essentially A Lindsey Lohan Type With A Theatre Background. But while Binoche at the core should've made for something really great, I found the film constantly getting in its own way - the use of fades to black as scene closers felt absolutely amateur to me, and just underscored the pacing issues. Then there's the bigger pacing issue of how the film's three acts are broken up, the occasional interludes of scenic imagery - which were approximately as effective as accidentally changing channel to a chromecast for a couple of minutes, to my mind - and the unacknowledged hamminess of the play within the film, coupled with some fairly unsubtle meta-narrative elements (which left me with an irritating feeling that I'm missing some crucial bit of informationnrequired to understand the film in a different light), all of which adds up to a film which was occasionally gripping but at least as often just frustrating. I'm honestly a bit perplexed at how much praise this got on release.

• Advertisement

War games added today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement