Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Oh look, a non-answer, just regurgitated buzzwords and catchphrases. I suppose it's my own fault for expecting anything better from someone who thinks Satan has possessed anyone with at least a BSc in Biology.
    When did The Donald say such a thing?

He wants higher performance from the US education system which will require more people with higher degrees in all the sciences (including Biology).:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

J C wrote:
    ... you aren't the cool objective guy you normally are ... your feelings/emotions seems to be clouding your judgement of The Donald.

I agree it's shocking a moderator on board's can actually get away with those vile remarks.

No doubt I'll get a gold card for this.

But I'm surprised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Well using the word 'fat' as a pejorative seems pretty petty, childish and silly if you ask me. Like what are we? 8 Years old on a school playground?

I agree it's shocking a moderator on board's can actually get away with those vile remarks.

No doubt I'll get a gold card for this.

But I'm surprised
    It's freedom of speech and opinion ... and I would staunchly defend Robin's right to say what he said ... but this doesn't mean that I won't call him out on it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Well using the word 'fat' as a pejorative seems pretty petty, childish and silly if you ask me. Like what are we? 8 Years old on a school playground?

Wouldn't the word 'incompetent' be the word that would worry you the most?

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wouldn't the word 'incompetent' be the word that would worry you the most?

Do you stand by and condone this so? Someone can't do their job because they are fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Poor little snowflakes. Maybe we should have a subforum so JC, Hayek and the other Trumpettes can have safe space?

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Do you stand by and condone this so? Someone can't do their job because they are fat?

Not at all. But aren't you worried that your leader is incompetent? In fact, it seems increasingly like Dictator Trump is deranged? Doesn't that worry you at all?

Poor little snowflakes. Maybe we should have a subforum so JC, Hayek and the other Trumpettes can have safe space?
    I'm not a Trump supporter ... just a supporter of alternative opinion for problem solving ... where conventional solutions have failed ...
    ... and Trump seems to have novel alternatives for solving many of the major problems blighting American Society currently, whereas Hilary represented more of 'the same-old, same-old'.

Time will tell whether Trump can deliver ... but at least Americans seem to have taken on board Einstein's famous quip that 'doing the same thing (i.e. electing another Clinton) and expecting a different result' is a form of insanity.

... and as far as I can see the only ones looking for 'safe spaces' and censored news to protect their 'snowflake' opinions ... are the pseudo-liberals ... who aren't liberal at all when it comes to respect for alternative opinion.

Not at all. But aren't you worried that your leader is incompetent? In fact, it seems increasingly like Dictator Trump is deranged? Doesn't that worry you at all?
    I'll answer that with Rudyard Kipling's famous poem If ... which seems uncannily appropriate to The Donald ... a man who has been bankrupted numerous times and rose out of the financial ashes to become a billionaire businessman and a man who was writen off several times during the presidential election camaign, only to defy all predictions and actually win it.

Read these words ... and see how they describe The Donald to a 'tee':-

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

... and in The Donald's case, he has become the first POTUS elected without the support of large sections of the politicians in the party, which nominated him ... and in the face of almost total opposition from the MSM.
    He is the nearest thing to an independent non-party president that is possible within the current American political system. This has strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats ... but so does everything in life.

... and when the alternative was Hilary and Bill ... instead of Bill and Hilary ... something had to give ... and the result was POTUS Donald John Trump !!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kipling's poem does indeed bring Trump to mind - every single line and thought in it is parodying what Trump is not.

looksee wrote: »
    Kipling's poem does indeed bring Trump to mind - every single line and thought in it is parodying what Trump is not.
    I thought they perfectly described what Trump is.

Vive La Difference.

Yeah, we get it.

In other news, the sky is down and the ground is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If you want to reason with someone who hails Trump unironically as "The Donald", you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah, we get it.

In other news, the sky is down and the ground is up.
    The MSM isn't that bad at accurate reporting!!!:D:)

If you want to reason with someone who hails Trump unironically as "The Donald", you're gonna have a bad time.
    Why will you have a bad time?

The Donald is just a pet name ... like 'Billary' for Bill & Hilary Clinton (the first 'Husband and Wife Presidency') ... 'Dubbya' for George W Bush ... FDR for Franklin Delano Roosevelt ... etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's really not a surprise that religious loons are jumping on the Trump idiocracy bandwagon - even though he destroyed for once and for all the political power of the evangelical lobby. The idea that a small group of southern white religious loons could influence US politics at a national level is finished.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

J C wrote: »
    The Donald is just a pet name ... like 'Billary' for Bill & Hilary Clinton (the first Husband and first Wife Presidency) ... 'Dubbya' for George W Bush ... FDR for Franklin Delano Roosevelt ... etc.:)
    Trivial fact of the day; the name "the Donald" was coined by his first wife, Ivana, who frequently referred to him in this way. She didn't intend anything by this; she was simply carrying into English a usage which is common in her native Czech, unaware at the time that it wasn't idiomatic English.

In fact she did this with all forenames, which caused a degree of consternation one day when she was looking for one of Trump's then sidekicks, Richard Wilhelm, on a matter of urgency. She went tearing through the halls of the Trump Organisation executive offices shrieking, "Where’s the Dick? I need the Dick now!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Trivial fact of the day; the name "the Donald" was coined by his first wife, Ivana, who frequently referred to him in this way. She didn't intend anything by this; she was simply carrying into English a usage which is common in her native Czech, unaware at the time that it wasn't idiomatic English.

In fact she did this with all forenames, which caused a degree of consternation one day when she was looking for one of Trump's then sidekicks, Richard Wilhelm, on a matter of urgency. She went tearing through the halls of the Trump Organisation executive offices shrieking, "Where’s the Dick? I need the Dick now!”

She might have been referring to Trump in that instance, too. Not the first to do so, definitely not the last.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I agree it's shocking a moderator on board's can actually get away with those vile remarks. No doubt I'll get a gold card for this. But I'm surprised
    Your last card was yellow. Noting your contra-charter posting style, it seems sadly likely that you'll be receiving further moderator discipline soon enough - I hope and trust that you're not trolling for a little discipline? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, please go away and read the charter and come back to the moderator team with any questions you might have and we'll be happy to answer them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Citation needed.

So far as I'm aware, none of the Slavic languages have a definite article so if the story is true, then Ivana must been translating some other word than "the". German also allows/requires a definite article before a name but more in the south of the country than the north - does Ivana speak German? There are a few reasons she might :) Memory suggests, possibly incorrectly, that Modern Greek requires a definite article before somebody's name as well and I'm sure there are other language which do too.

My leader?
    Where did I ever say that Trump is my leader?

Oh, I get it. Even the remotest hint that I am not drinking the hysterical left wing cool-aid means that I must be one of those Alt right supporters. It is so easy when the world that black and white isn't.

I was nearly making a point that the word fat is being used as a pejorative in this case, in terms of being able to do a job. All other straw men aside, you seem to be ok with that.

It's really not a surprise that religious loons are jumping on the Trump idiocracy bandwagon - even though he destroyed for once and for all the political power of the evangelical lobby. The idea that a small group of southern white religious loons could influence US politics at a national level is finished.
    I have a two word response to this particular post ... Mike Pence.:)

smacl wrote: »
    Yes indeed, one big step forward for the oompa loompah nation ;)
    One enormous step forward ... to sorting out the US economy ... and as Bill Clinton once very incisively observed ... "it's the economy, stupid" !!:).

... even Bill Clinton fully approves of Trump ... Ivanka Trump that is !!!:D

I guess Ivanka has inherited her father's charming ways, winning smile ... and good looks!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

:pac:

C24XXl1UQAEO-L5.jpg:small

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Donald Trump's First Day on the job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If only Spencer was from Illinois, then there'd be a tremendous opportunity for Blues Brothers references. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    Citation needed.

So far as I'm aware, none of the Slavic languages have a definite article so if the story is true, then Ivana must been translating some other word than "the" . . .
    Fair point. I suspect what was going on is, because none of the Slavic languages have a definite article, Ivana found it difficult to understand/internalise the conventions of English regarding when the article is used and when it isn't.

Advertisement