Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Guardian Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have waited a decade, a month is little more than a gentle nudge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd expect sony would be making a bigger deal of this game if it was on the verge of release. Something tells me it's going to slip until well into 2017.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any reason for the delay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any reason for the delay?

Lack of polish, not up to scratch. Usually reasons for a delay. In other words, they need a bit more time. I heard the last demo had performance issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Delayed (again) , Now December 6th.

Ah well
    At least it gives Mrs Ciderman something to buy me for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have really low expectations for this giving its development nightmare. Hope I'm wrong and if the reviews are even decent I'll pick it up but I think this is going to be a stinker.

In terms of development time, platform switching and constant delays, we're getting into Duke Nukem territory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd expect sony would be making a bigger deal of this game if it was on the verge of release. Something tells me it's going to slip until well into 2017.

The only way they can make a bigger deal is if the physical copies are sent from the moon using some sort of cannon.

The only way they can make a bigger deal is if the physical copies are sent from the moon using some sort of cannon.

I meant on Sony's part. Where are the press releases, the bull**** to get news sites posting inane articles to get visibility. The vast majority of PS4 owners probably don't even know about this game, being too young to be following gaming news at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So far Team Ico is two for two.
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    It's weird.
    Duke Forever was massively delayed, by a couple of console generations, and I just knew it spelt trouble.
    The Last Guardian just feels like craftspeople are saying "it'll be ready when it's ready" and makes me happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah they should have released it broken and patched it a few weeks later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

The complete lack of coverage Sony are giving this speaks volumes in my opinion, my expectations are lowered as a result.

Benzino wrote: »
    The complete lack of coverage Sony are giving this speaks volumes in my opinion, my expectations are lowered as a result.

I think it's more a shift it priorities. It used to be that Sony would have it's internal studios concentrate on filling out the library with quirkier titles to widen the consoles appeal.

With mobile taking over the shift is now to promoting the dudebro titles.

Not watching but listening to what they are saying.

Seems to be a demo at TGS

18min Polygon below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHjWU5etYE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know if I'd consider the previews that have popped up in numerous big-name gaming publications this morning a 'complete lack of coverage', but how and ever :pac:

Really, I'm not sure what level of marketing blitz people are expecting. Truth is we're talking about a game that is out-of-step with current market demands, for worse and (IMO mostly) for better. ICO and SotC were 'art games' before 'art games' were really a thing. They are very often slow, frustrating and patient games that explore a very unique world and vision. They are light on plot, heavy on the slow burn and subtle in terms of the relationship between mechanics, theme and story. Everything I've read suggests this game is the same, which - going by today's previews - makes for an often frustrating experiencing in demo form at least (if the relationship is meant to grow and evolve over the course of the game, that's an incredibly hard thing to illustrate). But, going by Ueda's past form, there's few games I'd imagine are harder to communicate in short form - whether that's a typical trailer or indeed a short demo on the TGS floor. It is also likely to be significantly out of touch with the way current games are consumed and advertised. It may also, from what I've read, be out of time in terms of controls, which may not be such a good thing but we'll see :P

As concerning as the protracted development has been, I'm cautiously optimistic that it is at least partially the result of a true gaming auteur not having had the technology at his disposable to realise his very unique vision. Unlike Duke Nukem Forever - a silly franchise sequel that seemed to have suffered from a crippling lack of creative vision alongside technological woes - everything I've seen suggests this is the game Ueda wanted to make. Certainly good reason for some caution - a lot of time has passed, and I still reckon the PS4 may still not have the raw oomph the game needs. There's a good chance this game will seem like something of a relic - but, given the way AAA has shifted in recent years, that could very well be to its favour too. There's no doubt The Last Guardian is wildly out of step with the sort of big name exclusive we've grown accustomed to, and based on the previous games I for one wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I don't know if I'd consider the previews that have popped up in numerous big-name gaming publications this morning a 'complete lack of coverage', but how and ever :pac:

Hadn't seen them.

I'd just like to know what the game is like. From what I can see so far it just looks like a standard 'Three Vikings' game with two characters with different abilities solving puzzles.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd just like to know what the game is like. From what I can see so far it just looks like a standard 'Three Vikings' game with two characters with different abilities solving puzzles.

So, Two Vikings then....

But, you can reduce many, if not most, down to mechanics we've seen before.
    Looking at the Team Ico games up to now, the first one was a 3rd person brawler with puzzles, and the second was a glorified boss rush.
    That reduction also bleeds away the idiosyncrasies of the games, the visuals, music, story, mechanics of the games themselves.

But, you are right, without giving us more information it is hard to make a fair assessment of what the finished game is going to be like.
    And, they really should have learned from the performance of Ico and SotC, when the lack of push behind the former resulted in poor sales and the latter's big push resulted in great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Everyone worrying about if it's going to be good or not and I'm just wondering how I'll cope when Trico dies at the end.

I'm already dreading it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Either the kid or the monster thing will almost certainly die. And we'll be all torn up about it.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Either the kid or the monster thing will almost certainly die. And we'll be all torn up about it.

But then the monster will come back, with a slight limp, so dry your eyes Kiith!

rgFOZLy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So tempted to get the special edition for this as the statue looks gorgeous....

So nervous that the game won't live up to my expectations though so I'm torn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

There's a hands-on preview in this month's Edge magazine. They refer to notable problems with the camera, controls and Trico's AI, while certain jagged textures betray its PS3 origins. They're trying to be positive but you can tell they're very worried about the final product. I hate to say it, but this is not looking good. I'll still buy it (perhaps when the price drops) and I suspect the art-direction alone will just about carry it over the line for me. However I think we'd be well advised to temper our expectations and I'd certainly be holding off on pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Officially went gold yesterday, not long now.

This idiot is probably the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Anyone picking this up this week? Out tomorrow in the US and Friday here. $60/€60.

I'll probably pick it over Xmas when I have a bit more time to play it. No reviews the day before launch isn't exactly promising either but I'll reserve judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Reviews should go live later today once the embargo is lifted.

Roar wrote: »
    Anyone picking this up this week?

Oh god yes. The reviews could (unlikely) describe as the artistic disappointment of the decade, and I'd still need to play it. Have a strong emotional attachment to Team Ico games - Ico easily being one of my candidates for greatest game of all time - that won't be satisfied until the end credits roll.

Still hard to believe its out this week. Has almost taken on mythical stature after all these years, and even without the prolonged development the latest game from one of video gaming's greatest studios and directors would be a big deal.

• Advertisement

Have to laugh

£44 Amazon.co.uk
    €75 gamestop...
    €60 Smyths(pre order)

Advertisement