Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap christmas presents...

Options
  • 30-11-2016 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭

Every year around this time the dread starts to set in. The fear of being given awful presents on Christmas morning, the jumper that's too small, the book you'll never read, the nutri bullet that will sit in the back of the corner cabinet.

I'm not even ungrateful... I'd rather they donate money on my behalf to the RSPCA than be all awkward on Christmas morning - fake loving my new tennis racket...I don't even play tennis...what were you thinking?!

Worst christmas present you ever got?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Honestly off the top of my head I've never got a gift I wasn't happy with. Even if it wasn't something I'd pick for myself, I still loved it because someone who cares about me picked it out for me. Vouchers maybe cause there's no thought in them but they're not a bad present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Remote control helicopter from a parent, I was 29....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

I'll take the nutri bullet and the helicopter off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A toaster.

And car mats.

Bought by an ex.

I would have preferred the thoughtless gift voucher!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Got this weird puzzle thing with a picture of Galileo or something on the front, no idea what it does or what I'm supposed to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ted111 wrote: »
    I'll take the nutri bullet and the helicopter off your hands.

I'll have one of your helicopter smoothies.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Every year around this time the dread starts to set in. The fear of being given awful presents on Christmas morning, the jumper that's too small, the book you'll never read, the nutri bullet that will sit in the back of the corner cabinet.

I'm not even ungrateful... I'd rather they donate money on my behalf to the RSPCA than be all awkward on Christmas morning - fake loving my new tennis racket...I don't even play tennis...what were you thinking?!

Worst christmas present you ever got?

Send me your jumper, book and Nutri-Bullet .......... f*ck it, I'll even take the tennis racket ........ love free stuff!!!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Vouchers annoy the sh1te out of me. They are always for somewhere I'd never go myself because it's unnecessarily expensive like Brown Thomas and I end up spending more of my own money than I would shopping in my usual shops because the voucher is only for €50 and that wouldn't get you socks in BT.

Just get me a voucher for Dunnes and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I got one of those fake talking salmons once, that was clearly bought in a pound shop without even a micro thought. I'd have rather got nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Vouchers annoy the sh1te out of me. They are always for somewhere I'd never go myself because it's unnecessarily expensive like Brown Thomas and I end up spending more of my own money than I would shopping in my usual shops because the voucher is only for €50 and that wouldn't get you socks in BT.

Just get me a voucher for Dunnes and I'll be happy.

Send that voucher my way ......... 6 pairs of socks!!! :)

http://www.brownthomas.com/brands/happy-socks/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

A weird ornamental naked woman posing silver coloured thing mounted on a wooden (mdf) plaque.

Wasn't even metal, it was plastic sprayed silver, a real pound shop effort.

It was one of those "oh errrr thats..... lovely! Thanks..." moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

The Scorpion King 2 on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For the last few Christmases my wife and I just buy ourselves a book or something and pretend they were presents from each other.

One year we hadn't bought anything so we just took books from the bookshelf and wrapped them, so we could exchange them on Christmas Day and our kids would be happy.

So, a book I already owned, would probably be the worst one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I gave my mate a three pinned plug once for Christmas for the craic, he thought it was hilarious.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i hate box sets of programs you really like or love. if i like the program then i will have seen every eposode . especially bad if its a series building up to an event that once you see it the other esisodes are pointless.its a bit like watchinga soccer match knowing the final score. its ok but there is no suspence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I got a shoe drier from my grandmother when I was eight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i got a panda soft toy
    i was 41

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure does this count but i got a box of christmas chocolates (santa, reindeir,snow etc on the box) for my birthday in april.
    whats worse is my binrthday is in march. this was a belated present.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I got a box of rice cakes and 6 bottles of Ballygowan once from an overly thoughtful friend when I let it be known I was on a health kick.
    A health kick I completely intended breaking for 2 solid weeks of eating drinking and being merry over Christmas.
    The rice cakes were wrapped too leading me to believe the bottles of water were a sort of joke present until Christmas morning and all was revealed.

And no I wasn't overweight at the time before anyone asks.

As said earlier in the thread, sometimes the thoughtless gift is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

A chipped cup and in it: a bent mini whisk and a teaspoon of hot chocolate in a crumpled plastic bag. I think they stretched to a fun sized chocolate bar too. The person who gifted it to me had a fair whack of money behind them as well. It wasn't even that the gift was cheap, it was just thoughtless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

An electronic typewriter. Its only because it never worked. I still played "pretend office" with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tigger wrote: »
    i got a panda soft toy
    i was 41

Not even a tigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oEmmao

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I got a shoe-drier from my grandmother when I was eight.

whats a shoe drier? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lynx gift pack. I hate that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was given a toaster when I was 10... I was in the bath at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In my day we were given a sound thrashing for christmas. And were glad to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I was given a toaster when I was 10... I was in the bath at the time.

That's absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I got one of those for my dad 2 years ago..... he was 58. He LOVED it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I got one of those for my dad 2 years ago..... he was 58. He LOVED it!

Same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

If the jumper's too small maybe you should consider using that nutribullet.

You're right to leave the book aside, go for a run instead pal.

Advertisement