Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The Muppet wrote: »
    Here's a link to some stretches that may help if you chose to give them a go.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx

Thanks Muppet il give it a go next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Muppet wrote: »
    Well don't keep us in suspense . How did it go?

It went very very well!!

So well that when I noticed I had 1 minute left to go I started really pushing myself to run as fast as I could.

It's so encouraging! I genuinely think I could do the full 5k tomorrow if I wanted to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brilliant.

Well done MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Been doing a good bit of walking this past six or eight weeks, usually around 3 km in 30 minutes but sometimes 3.5 km or even once or twice 5 km.

Having walked 5 km in around 55 mins, it occurred to me that maybe next June I could walk the local GAA club’s 5K “Fun Run” but in the last week or so, I’ve become more ambitious and built a few little jogs into my walks.

Downloaded the “NHS Couch to 5K” podcast last week and did my first 3 sessions sessions last week. Couldn’t believe I ran for 8 minutes in total along with 20.5 minutes walking!

Did week 2, run 1 last night, found it tough but got there. 90 seconds running is tough - the sixth one was really hard! I'm overweight (not as much as I used to be) and it's hard on the joints!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done Hesh. I'm carrying too much weight too, but the program is designed really well, so that even with that handicap you find yourself running much further and longer than thought possible. Just take it VERY, VERY, SLOW. Speed can be built in later.

Keep us updated. The "expectation" of posting here keeps you going too. At least it has for me. I'm still only on WK 6 but six weeks ago I would have thought running 5km was impossible for me, but now, I know I will be able to do it. Not yet maybe, but it is on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I love reading your posts and seeing how well you are all doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Been doing a good bit of walking this past six or eight weeks, usually around 3 km in 30 minutes but sometimes 3.5 km or even once or twice 5 km.

Having walked 5 km in around 55 mins, it occurred to me that maybe next June I could walk the local GAA club’s 5K “Fun Run” but in the last week or so, I’ve become more ambitious and built a few little jogs into my walks.

Downloaded the “NHS Couch to 5K” podcast last week and did my first 3 sessions sessions last week. Couldn’t believe I ran for 8 minutes in total along with 20.5 minutes walking!

Did week 2, run 1 last night, found it tough but got there. 90 seconds running is tough - the sixth one was really hard! I'm overweight (not as much as I used to be) and it's hard on the joints!

I feel your pain!
    Starting week 4 run 1 tonight. Very nervous about it.
    Too heavy as well (54 yrs old - start weight 21st now 19) but reducing weight dramatically and on a diet as well.
    This thread is great motivation and should be required reading/prescription for anyone overweight and willing to intervene.

The buzz I am getting from actually intervening in my lifestyle is sustaining me so far. Keep at it!

I was talking to a friend of mine today, SHe has being running for years. She reckons I should not run for a week and only if im fully healed.

I have done well and with the exception of the very 1st run I have really enjoyed it. Im gutted but have to be sensible. On my days off from running I think of the next run. I dont know how im going to do it for a week :(

If you're doing the couch to 5k, is it a good or bad idea to have a 3k walk on the "rest day" between runs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If you're doing the couch to 5k, is it a good or bad idea to have a 3k walk on the "rest day" between runs?

I would say yes, it'd be fine. As long as you don't have any twinges or bad niggles and you're not going hell for leather on the walks. Don't see how it could be a bad thing and would just help improve overall fitness.
    Good luck with it!!!

Week 4 Run 1 completed. Found the first 5 min run tough but had another minute in me at the end of the second one, which is an awesome feeling.

I use a static bike on the off days and find it helps. I downloaded the NHS Strength and Flexibility program for the Off days so plan starting that tomorrow. Similar to Pilate's I think.

With regard to it being tough on the joints, when I attempted this a few years ago, I was much more overweight than I am now and I found my knees were really being affected.

I changed to running on grass for a while and that really helped! (Just don't slip)

Completed Week 6 Day 1 last night. It seemed a step backwards from the 20 min run, which was welcome.

It was a weird feeling thinking "8 mins? Sure that's nothing, I was doing 20 the other day".

Whereas only last week I was sh*tting myself at the prospect of 8 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Did Week 5 day 2 yesterday.
    The second 8 minutes was tough, when the voice said "60 seconds left", I thought "thank Jesus", then it seemed to last 10 minutes. I was about to fish my phone out of my pocket to see if the podcast had got stuck :P

Like two other posters said earlier, I also spent two months doing regular walks before I got into this. I think that definitely helped my progress.

Completed WK 6 this morning.

Mon - 5+8+5 - felt it ought to have been easier than it was, still found it tough going. I usually do a 5km walk over the weekend, which seems to loosen the joints a little, but last weekend I missed it due to other commitments, and maybe the long break between Friday morning and Monday morning with little exercise didn't help. Who knows? It might have been tough anyway.

Wed - 10+10 - again, very tough - wondering when will this start to feel "easy". I was very glad for the break in between the two runs and wondered how I'd ever managed to run them consecutively last Friday.

Fri (just now) - 22 straight - nice morning for it, a mild breeze and some refreshing drizzle - but tough again. At 15 minutes I was really struggling, I slowed my pace down even more than it already was, and kept going for the next 7 but was very, very glad to hear the beep to cool down.

So yes, this is VERY difficult, but I am progressing and the sense of achievement is fantastic. But if it was easy then there'd be no accomplishment to completing it, would there? :) I will be getting my Saturday 5km walk in, so hopefully that will do be some good for my 25 minute runs next week.

Well donw everyone. Thats great progress, Im still out injured and now Im starting to worry that my fitness level will drop and I will struggle with my next run. All going well I should be able to get out Next Tuesday.

There's nothing wrong with stepping back a week on the program if you're worried about fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

pcuser wrote: »
    Well donw everyone. Thats great progress, Im still out injured and now Im starting to worry that my fitness level will drop and I will struggle with my next run. All going well I should be able to get out Next Tuesday.

I was out for 4 weeks with only walking to keep my fitness up and managed 4.5k on my first day back (coming from a low fitness base!) if I can do that anyone can!

Thats reassuring Thank You

• Advertisement

Week 4 day 2 complete. Running on a road is so much more taxing than on a track. Sore legs tonight.

Week 4 day 3 in the bag, now for the serious week. Finding it hard to believe that this time next week I will have run 20 minutes non stop

Not really able to keep these runs within 2 or 3 days of each other lately but, despite a very heavy night at a Halloween party last night, I went out for Week 6 Day 2 tonight.

10 mins x 2 with a 3 min break in the middle.

It felt good! After the first 10 mins I felt like I could've kept going. Looking forward to having a go at the 22 mins run. Might give it a go tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not really able to keep these runs within 2 or 3 days of each other lately but, despite a very heavy night at a Halloween party last night, I went out for Week 6 Day 2 tonight.

10 mins x 2 with a 3 min break in the middle.

It felt good! After the first 10 mins I felt like I could've kept going. Looking forward to having a go at the 22 mins run. Might give it a go tomorrow

Great progress, but if at all possible, leave at least one day between runs. The last thing you want to do now is to get injured after coming so far. I'd really reconsider doing it it tomorrow.
    Good luck!

Did WK 7 Day 1 this morning. Ran 25 mins straight (you can tell I don't have a social life, early night last night so I could be up at my usual time to do my Monday morning run, even though there's no work today :) )

Again, very tough. But something I figured out. Last Friday I'd wondered: "when will this start to feel easy". It dawned on me that the last five minutes or so, will probably never be easy, but the length of time before that is increasing and that's fabulous. Last Friday I got to 15 minutes relatively easily and then really struggled for the last 7. This morning I got to 20 minutes relatively easily and then really struggled for the last 5. But to even run 20 minutes relatively easy is something I'd never, ever have believed possible in September when I started this. And I guess, those last five minutes are the bit that increases your stamina and resilience.

Up to now, I managed to complete each day doing three circuits of my field. This extra running meant I was already on my fourth circuit by the time I finished, so I just did a full circuit which meant about a 10 minute cool down instead of 5. I have to say I think I really got the benefit out of the extra 5 minutes - it was a lovely morning, cool, fresh, and brighter than it had been previously (obviously because the clocks went back).

Congrats to those who achieved a marathon yesterday. My 25 minutes might seem pittance in comparrison, but I know some of you started where I am now, and those people are a real inspiration to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    Did WK 7 Day 1 this morning. Ran 25 mins straight (you can tell I don't have a social life, early night last night so I could be up at my usual time to do my Monday morning run, even though there's no work today :) )

Again, very tough. But something I figured out. Last Friday I'd wondered: "when will this start to feel easy". It dawned on me that the last five minutes or so, will probably never be easy, but the length of time before that is increasing and that's fabulous. Last Friday I got to 15 minutes relatively easily and then really struggled for the last 7. This morning I got to 20 minutes relatively easily and then really struggled for the last 5. But to even run 20 minutes relatively easy is something I'd never, ever have believed possible in September when I started this. And I guess, those last five minutes are the bit that increases your stamina and resilience.

Up to now, I managed to complete each day doing three circuits of my field. This extra running meant I was already on my fourth circuit by the time I finished, so I just did a full circuit which meant about a 10 minute cool down instead of 5. I have to say I think I really got the benefit out of the extra 5 minutes - it was a lovely morning, cool, fresh, and brighter than it had been previously (obviously because the clocks went back).

Congrats to those who achieved a marathon yesterday. My 25 minutes might seem pittance in comparrison, but I know some of you started where I am now, and those people are a real inspiration to me.

Theres Dedication, out running early on a Bank Holiday Monday,impressive stuff.

Hey dont knock a 25 minute run that's a massive achievement after a few weeks as you say a lot of us have been there. TBH When your pushing yourself to the your limits 25 minutes can be just as tough as 26.2 miles , The pain just ends sooner.:)

Keep it up .

Week 3, run 1 in the bag! Thrilled. Can't believe I did two x three minute runs. Actually found it a little easier than week 2, run 2 which I hated.

Wohoo,

After being out injured for over a week I managed to complete Week 7 Day 1 today. Ive got to admit it found it a bit tougher than the 20 minute jog, I put this down to a hectic few days with late nights at work as well as not running for a week. I still managed to complete it though . Im all ready looking forward to my next run on Friday.

Completed Week 6 Day 3 yesterday. 22 mins solid!

I must say, I found this one the toughest of all. I decided to cycle home from work and then go for the run. I'm not sure if the cycle negatively affected things, but about 5 mins in my calves and feet started to ache! And then about 15 mins in I got a really bad stitch!

But what was great about it was that I never once got out of breath! 22 mins straight and I was fine afterwards! Happy days!

• Advertisement

Can I ask what everyone's pace is like? Mine is pretty slow. I think I did 3.3km in 22 mins last night. Which would leave me at 4.5km in the 30 mins required in week 9! Shy of 5k!

Advertisement