Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pats & Cork have slim to no chance of progression and Dundalk have a 50/50 tie.
    Gibraltar are set to out score us this year.
    European results really aren't telling us anything we don't know already.
    The league is in poor order and needs some serious help.

Gibraltar coefficients:
    14/15 - 0.250
    15/16 - 0.750

A little too similar!

Gibraltar isn't a great example as they enter in the first qualifying round of the Champions League against the likes of the champions of San Marino and Andorra. They've picked up a few wins in that round which inflates the coefficient. Even Ireland is seeded higher and starts in the 2nd round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

hman231 wrote: »
    Really hope dundalk can win their tie. If we defend well we have every chance of winning

Do you know anything about Hacken or are you basing this off the fact you never heard of them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I watched BK Hacken v Hammarby on Saturday in which Hacken won 4-2. Theres no doubt the standard is higher than LOI but Hammarby were absolute muck, I reckon Longford might have got a result if they were playing them. Hacken were excellent going forward, nice quick football on the deck, we are going to struggle big time with that, but alternatively, they looked so bad at the back, if we could manage to grab an away goal and stop them scoring more than 2, then we have a chance back at the Cross. They gave away 3 penalties to Hammarby and they also should have conceded at least 2 more.

Also watched the Wexford game yesterday but the less said about that the better, one of the worst games of football ever played. A win is a win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Gibraltar isn't a great example as they enter in the first qualifying round of the Champions League against the likes of the champions of San Marino and Andorra. They've picked up a few wins in that round which inflates the coefficient. Even Ireland is seeded higher and starts in the 2nd round.

True to an extent but Red Imps have progressed to the R2Q the last 2 seasons running which suggests they deserve to start in that round.

Likewise Europa Fc have progressed to the R2Q of the Europa League after beating FC Pyunik. I wouldn't be betting heavy on a LOI side doing the same.

Here's Icelands coefficients as they come in at the same rounds as us, they're doing better yet have 1/10th of our population:
    11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

They are a decent Swedish team but lets be honest there is no reason why if cork city play well over the two legs we cant beat them. I'd be very surprised if they hammered cork the swedish league is good but its not full of Goliath's I think pats have a tougher draw than us Dinamo Minsk would be a much tougher tie, sure time will tell but our defense is very good against quick attackers we kept Dundalk to 0 a few times this year

• Advertisement

True to an extent but Red Imps have progressed to the R2Q the last 2 seasons running which suggests they deserve to start in that round.

Likewise Europa Fc have progressed to the R2Q of the Europa League after beating FC Pyunik. I wouldn't be betting heavy on a LOI side doing the same.

Here's Icelands coefficients as they come in at the same rounds as us, they're doing better yet have 1/10th of our population:
    11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

But both Cork City and St Pats have progressed to the 2nd qualifying round? :confused:

Iceland is interesting as they show what can happen when the national association invests heavily in the grassroots game. They have something like 600 UEFA qualified coaches which given their size is phenomenal. I'm not saying there aren't issues in Ireland, there are, but it's no worse this year than ever before. Unfortunately we have the FAI, media and football fans in Ireland who don't give a damn about the domestic game. Until that changes (which I unfortunately don't think it will) the league will continue to languish in the bottom quartile in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

But both Cork City and St Pats have progressed to the 2nd qualifying round? :confused:

Iceland is interesting as they show what can happen when the national association invests heavily in the grassroots game. They have something like 600 UEFA qualified coaches which given their size is phenomenal. I'm not saying there aren't issues in Ireland, there are, but it's no worse this year than ever before. Unfortunately we have the FAI, media and football fans in Ireland who don't give a damn about the domestic game. Until that changes (which I unfortunately don't think it will) the league will continue to languish in the bottom quartile in Europe.

Yes and that proves my point that we're a bit too close to the Gibraltar league for comfort.
    Agree with everything you've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Using population in an argument is pointless. If that's really a factor we should all stop playing and let China play India in every World Cup Final.

Iceland looks over-performing compared to us, we look over-performing compared to Australia, Australia look over-performing compared to Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Raoul

Dundalk fan here. Will you lads be supporting Dundalk tomorrow night? Just saw on a comment on FB on a post from soccer republic about the match tomorrow with some Rovers fan saying "good luck to the Iceland team, from the rest of the league".

I will be hoping that Cork do well tonight. Any win for an Irish team is good for the league!

Honestly, no I wont and I never have wished other LOI clubs well.

This whole "good for the league" thing makes no odds to me. Shams getting to the groups a few years back only benefited them, no one else.

Similarly I do not care if other LOI clubs want CCFC to do well. I certainly do not expect them to be cheering us on anyway.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Dundalk fan here. Will you lads be supporting Dundalk tomorrow night? Just saw on a comment on FB on a post from soccer republic about the match tomorrow with some Rovers fan saying "good luck to the Iceland team, from the rest of the league".

I will be hoping that Cork do well tonight. Any win for an Irish team is good for the league!

Good luck and all that but no, not a hope would I support another team in Europe, it only benefits that team, not the league. The last thing I want as a Cork City supporter is for Dundalk to go through and get another 500k into the bank.

I'll have my Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar jersey ready for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    Honestly, no I wont and I never have wished other LOI clubs well.

This whole "good for the league" thing makes no odds to me. Shams getting to the groups a few years back only benefited them, no one else.

Similarly I do not care if other LOI clubs want CCFC to do well. I certainly do not expect them to be cheering us on anyway.

And look how things have turned out for them since. All in all Dundalk getting an extra €500K won't change things that much.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    And look how things have turned out for them since. All in all Dundalk getting an extra €500K won't change things that much.

Still prefer they didn't get a shiny penny tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cape Clear wrote: »

This is what I think. Realistically if Dundalk get more money, it would hopefully go into developing the facilities. We aren't going to go spending it on better players cos...we pretty much already have the best team in the league. We would possibly be able to offer the likes of Horgan more money to stay rather than possibly going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Raoul wrote: »

Dundalk fan here too, but I will be hoping CC do get through and Pats too for that matter (though I think the Pats defence will let them down). 50:50 with CC and Dundalk, will depend very much on the night.

As for Rovers fans, wouldn't pass any heed, it's all to do with SK. They are sore and about firing him so quickly. Only themselves to blame.

And about the co efficients, it's better all teams do well, Dundalk (and all LOI winners) start in the 2nd qualifying round (automatically picking up the 200k for the first round). Wouldn't it be great if LOI teams started in the 2nd round of the Europa qualifiers as well (automatically picking up the first 200k as well) ? Though we are a bit away from that at the moment, probably closer to league winners entering at 1st qr

CHealy wrote: »
    Good luck and all that but no, not a hope would I support another team in Europe, it only benefits that team, not the league. The last thing I want as a Cork City supporter is for Dundalk to go through and get another 500k into the bank.

I'll have my Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar jersey ready for tomorrow night.

They've already got €550k guaranteed in prize money just for getting to this stage. They'll get a minimum of €1.18m if they get through against the Icelanders.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk fan here too, but I will be hoping CC do get through and Pats too for that matter (though I think the Pats defence will let them down). 50:50 with CC and Dundalk, will depend very much on the night.

As for Rovers fans, wouldn't pass any heed, it's all to do with SK. They are sore and about firing him so quickly. Only themselves to blame.

And about the co efficients, it's better all teams do well, Dundalk (and all LOI winners) start in the 2nd qualifying round (automatically picking up the 200k for the first round). Wouldn't it be great if LOI teams started in the 2nd round of the Europa qualifiers as well (automatically picking up the first 200k as well) ? Though we are a bit away from that at the moment, probably closer to league winners entering at 1st qr

Dundalk get €300k for appearing in the 2nd Qualifying round of the Champions League. And they'll get another €250k assuming they fail to qualify for the group stages. As for the Europa League teams get €200k from the first qualifying round (win or lose) and €210k of they progress to the second qualifying round.

11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

Red Imps beat Celtic in the first leg of the Champions League 2nd qualifying round!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Red Imps beat Celtic in the first leg of the Champions League 2nd qualifying round!!!

Celtic will have to show great character to bounce back from that defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Will be watching on with interest. Can't see Dundalk going through mind.

I wish Dundalk and Pats the best of luck and will be a nervous about their results as Corks results, Its all good for the league and country as a hole. I rate Pats chances at 5 % of going through really struggle to see them doing anything they'll have to sharpen up at the back. Dundalk at 40 %, its very possible but Icelandic sides are good and I just feel they have a lot of european experience, but if Dundalk play with a high tempo and flare I don't see why they can't score goals and go through. And for Cork City I give us a 30 % chance of going through, the only thing I think I can say with confidence with this tie is that we won't score many so if our defense holds strong over two legs maybe we can nick it by the odd goal but I feel that for the LOI sides our opposition will have more fire power than us so we have to make sure we all defend properly and take the chances. I predict one team to go through but hope for three anythings possible seeing Celtics result earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

With blind optimism and the faith of the devout, I am hoping for City to grab a 1-1 result away to Hacken tonight. And then win the second leg by the odd goal :D

I'd support any LOI team in Europe, even Shels :eek: Don't think I need to worry about them qualifying for Europe for a long, long time though ;)

Good luck to city tonight ( and Pats). If you can keep them to 1 or even 2 goals you will have a cracking chance next week.

At the match in Oriel last night. 1st half one great save from Rogers and one bad miss by McMillan. 2nd half - nice goal by McMillan, poor clearance for equaliser. Easy to see why FH have won 7 of the last 12 titles in Iceland (probably 8 of 13 by seasons end) although not much in it I thought they were fitter than Dundalk. If they were parachuted into the LOI definitely would be in the shakeup and possibly winners , but again, they are miles ahead of the other Icelandic teams.

Do us proud City.

Who hoo , well done CC (let's not be churlish - Pats too) very nearly a famous away win. Cross will be hopping next week.

BK Hacken 1-1 Cork City
    Dinamo Minsk 1-1 Pats
    Dundalk 1-1 FH
    Good results all to play for, looking forward to seeing these result could be all three go through or all three go out very interesting at least the co efficient will be respectable but we want more. Well done Pats going down 1-0 too fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

hman231 wrote: »
    BK Hacken 1-1 Cork City
    Dinamo Minsk 1-1 Pats
    Dundalk 1-1 FH
    Good results all to play for, looking forward to seeing these result could be all three go through or all three go out very interesting at least the co efficient will be respectable but we want more. Well done Pats going down 1-0 too fair play

Imagine if City met Pats in the next round.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Saw 2nd half on the stream, good quality with the 8 euro. City should have probably won it really. Should be a great game next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic results, would have taken that beforehand in a heart beat

The X will be rocking !!!!

Worztron wrote: »
    Imagine if City met Pats in the next round.

Impossible im afraid, they will create seperate groups to make sure this doesnt happen.

We have nothing to fear from this mid table Swedish team. Away goal was crucial.

It's a pity Cliftonville lost -- especially after such a bright start.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Impossible im afraid, they will create seperate groups to make sure this doesnt happen.

We have nothing to fear from this mid table Swedish team. Away goal was crucial.

I thought the draw is random.

Advertisement