Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU Study finds ICE vehicles consume 20% more fuel than advertised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not just manufacturers. There was a guy on here claiming his 20+ year old Volvo S40 was doing 3.4l/100km.

But yeah, it's long been a problem. You could never match their figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Plus c'est la même chose…

… and similarly an EV does go as far as advertised either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why is this in the EV and Hybrids forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

PHEVs and Hybrids use ICE engines. This applies to them too.

Also some of the anti-ev crowd love to post about claimed EV range not being as advertised. This is the forum those same people will see this thread.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

And you claimed that the official combined figure for his car was 7.7 l/100 km. His figure is likely closer to reality than yours. you really think that the 1.6 diesel as fitted in the Volvo S40 and various Fords and Peugeots only does 37 mpg? My Laguna 1.6 petrol did better than that.

As opposed to your question?

Any contribution to the thread you have?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Commission concedes that this first data is "not yet broad or representative enough to draw firm conclusions"

I could save them a lot of time and expense and tell them now that it was ever thus.

So many variables in driver, machine and road mean you could never get a definitive figure.

Exactly. Same as EV. Depends on so many things. Driving style. Temperature. Terrain. The only thing I can think that impacts an ICE and not an EV is altitude.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine was around that. But was driven at motorway speeds very very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is this info released by some EV association to counter anti EV stuff? It must be. It's not news anyway. And the 20 odd per cent variances are not news either.

I've known this to be true since before I was driving myself, my dad told me this as a kid sitting in his Cortina. He told me all about testing in labs, wind tunnels and more. And that out on the road it's way different.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

This must be the pettiest thing ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Does this mean they have been underpaying motor tax?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Petty news when it’s ICE, but proof EV are dead when it’s EV.
    Can’t win with the people that don’t accept change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I’m a very occasional visitor to this forum, and to motoring Reddits. Let me assure you though, EV owners trying to justify their purchase with lame gotchas, rabid fanboyism for the car brand they own, and a sort of “techy Deccie” condescending nature does nothing to persuade someone on the fence about EV ownership. Quite the opposite.

Great to have your assurance on that. So good of you to pop in and share it. Bye now, please call again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Strange that you didn't quote the unprompted rant I replied to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

What are you trying to win?

Is there a contest?

Petty news when it’s ICE, but proof EV are dead when it’s EV. 
    Can’t win with the people that don’t accept change.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Thank you. I've no bother with EVs and would consider one no bother if it suited me.

But Jesus some EV drivers are like green party fanatics. It's essentially still "new" tech to the majority of the population, it's also going to many issues that need tweaking and changing to make it a practical and affordable purchase.

Theres almost an anger with some that people aren't running out and spending a year's salary without a second though on something that might have terrible range and having to readjust your travelling style to accommodate charging times but now the added worries people see about a replacement battery nearly the price of a new car after 10 years and in the last few months the astronomical depreciation costs we are seeing are sending people that were open to them running for the hills.

You've the issues of just how green they are with mineral mining, with just how much fossil fuels will be needed to power the grid, are we just hiding away the pollution if renewables can't 100% power it and we refuse to use nuclear? Now today the media is really hying up Tesla layoffs due to drop in demand. Even if say it's cause people are using other vendors we all know it will just feed negatively to your average consumer.

If EVs are are the future that we've been told, then they will improve naturally and the people will come, you'd be hoping for improved battery tech we are getting promised, prices will come and will have to come down. We'll need to see our €14,000 EV Toyota Yaris equivalent with say 400 mile range in winters night driving conditions as minimum option for example. Batteries that can make say 15 years issue free and a replacement battery for say €2,000 including labour options for your little second hand EV.

Then its time will come for the vast majority.

At the moment it just reads like angry privileged little men going blue in the face.

The lack of self awareness in this post is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think there's any ICE drivers who expects to get the advertised mileage. Likewise, EV and Hybrid drivers know they won't get advertised range. Of course it's no surprise. It's not news either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's an argument I've used when some said to me about evs not getting the range they are meant to.

I always say, "yean that diesel you drive doesn't get the 75mpg the manufacturer claims either".

Car manufacturers lie. Who'd have thought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Literally anyone with a brain could've told you that advertised MPG figures, are, at best, a "best case scenario" in terms of the road conditions, weather, type of driving, speed being driven at etc. etc. Much as EV range figures are.

I think back in 2011 when my Saab was shiny and new, it was quoted as 60mpg on long distance runs. If I drove it only on the motorway for a day, didn't accelerate aggressively ever, changed into 6th at about 80km/h and didn't exceed 100 km/h, it might do 55-56 mpg. Day to day in actual mixed conditions driving, I get 46-47.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

You see this is more of it. You referred to another user above as having "an unprompted rant" which was nothing of the sort. You then give bobson a reply above which only proved exactly his point and and then try to make a point about self awareness.

Thankfully most people I know who have EVs don't have this smug condescending attitude to those who vary from on the fence to against them.

It's a car, for a significant portion of people a necessary and expensive purchase. One they want to be very comfortable and sure of getting value for. The attitude you and a minority of EV owners give off does nothing to help the general public.

This tech was tossed out with drawbacks to peoples current options and is being pushed by people that realistically don't have to worry if it turns out to ridiculously costly. People want to wait and see for hopefully when most of the kinks will be ironed out. You need to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

My long term average in a now very efficient 1.8F S40 was 7.2l/100km, and the trip computer was very honest about the figure too.

Depending on how I drove my 330e, whether it was charged or not, and the length of the journey, it could do from 0-10[L/100km]

• 15km on battery: 0 [l/100km]
    • 200km cross country: 5.6-6.2[l/100km] depending on the day
    • 200km cross country: 4.9-5.0[l/100km] driving like a granny
    • 1km to the shops with no battery: 10[l/100km]

It's generally accepted that fuel economy figures are heavily dependent on the driver and conditions, the car vs car figure is a rating system to allow drivers to compare vehicles against one another.

I'd love to see how inaccurate BER data is a comparison - now THAT is a misleading to say the least.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that the OP is about justifying an EV purchase decision or to try persuade others to buy EV?

I assure you that is not the case at all. There are many times we have to educate people on here about the actual expectations they should have about EVs of any sort. The unbelievable amount of bullshít the same anti-ev people (who almost always say they are all for EVs…but, but, but) which confuses people asking for genuine information from experienced owners is jaw dropping at times.

I don't give a damn whether you drive an EV, a diesel, or a nuclear powered sub. I'm not trying to convince you, or any stranger on the internet to buy an EV. Check my posts here and you'll see that. If you ask an EV related question and I have an answer in the positive, or the negative, I will say it as it is. Sometimes, an EV is just not the car for the job and it's only right to give an honest opinion.

However, when you have others giving pub-stool advice and who know nothing about EVs except what they see in rag mag headlines about batteries needing replacing every 3-5 years, or exploding if left plugged in overnight, or Elon Musk is a bad man so you shouldn't buy a Tesla 😂 it gets pretty boring. I love when the same person says you need to be doing big miles to make an EV worthwhile and the next day, they say an EV is only useful as a local run-about.

If someone enjoys and is interested in car tech and you take it as condescending, i'm afraid that's your problem, not theirs. I really like the tech in my cars, but I can't imagine it ever being cause to be interpreted as condescending. You might provide an example for us?

I opened this thread as a laugh because EV haters often point to claimed ranges being less than real world examples. Any knuckle-head knows the same is true of ICE cars, but we don't see it often in the news.

Stay Free

Advertisement