Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would some people "fake" a calling for the sake of a job?

Options
  • 09-03-2024 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to post this in the religion area but it is probably safer here. I happened to be watching Tommy Tiernan, talking to a monk. Who seems very earnest and genuine in his convictions. He does not seem to want for much materialist things.

But surely there must be some who pretend to "believe" in order to get peace and quiet, a job, or to make money?

For example, priest or in particular those American "preachers" who can earn fortunes in congregations with Super Churches.

It seems to me as it is a question of "faith" and no concrete proof what is to stop some chancer who suddenly "believes" in the chance of a job.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As the saying goes, it's indoor work and no heavy lifting.

In the US, it's probably the easiest way to own a private jet if you're not a major rock star.

But seriously... losing one's faith is no joke when it can cost you your job, your home and possibly your relationship or family (I suppose RCs dodge that one)

Richard Dawkins and others set up The Clergy Project to provide support for clerics who no longer believe.

In Ireland, for a long time it was an escape route for those who did not wish to marry, if you get me. A route to respectability and indeed privilege, instead of condemnation and contempt.

I do wonder about popes, cardinals, archbishops and the likes, who usually spend many years studying theology over and above what the priest in a parish gets - does it never occur to them that it's all based on nothing other than hearsay? I strongly suspect the top guys are only too aware of this, but they're far too deeply invested in the sunk cost fallacy and they get a nice living off the sweat of others' brows.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Anyone who genuinely believes that when they take communion they are eating the flesh of a man who died over 2,000 years ago is certifiably insane.

If one person holds bizarre irrational beliefs, they're either weird or insane.

If millions of people hold bizarre irrational beliefs, it's a religion, and must be respected

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Becoming a priest/brother was also seen as a handy route for poorer youngsters with aptitude to get a good education. Another reason to get a “calling”

That was why the RCC is against contraception. Son 1 gets the farm, son 2 might get an education, son 3 joins the clergy... and those who were too thick for that joined the "Christian" "Brothers"

There was a minor kerfuffle in my Dublin suburb in the late 70s. A son of one of the families across the road from us signed up for the priesthood, spent a few years getting a degree his family could not otherwise have afforded, then quit before becoming a made man. The tutting was audible from Earth orbit.

A few doors up, a good friend of my mother's suspected that her grandchild had not been baptised, so performed an impromptu ceremony in the kitchen sink.

They walk among us

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Cases in UK where asylum seekers faked conversion to Anglican religion to get residence

I don't agree with the "too thick" part I would have had a relative on my (aunts side by marriage) who became a Christian Brother went off to work in India at a very young age, teaching etc. Intelligent, hard working, pious type if a little too trusting of people. Bit naive in that sense

He would not have made money of course as the Brothers give all money to the order. I sort of regret never having asked him before he dead was it a "calling".

Because it seems to me that religion is a lot like banks once people join one they stick with it.

It must be almost impossible for religious orders to vet chancers surely? I mean all the theology stuff can be learnt off by rote, get a few phrases and off you go. Plus in this day and age there is a lack of Priests, more chance of getting in?

America would be where I would want to go if I wanted to make the big money, from what I see you just have to show a certain bombastic charisma, know the lines and off you go.

Cases in UK where asylum seekers faked conversion to Anglican religion to get residence

Feckin' Protestants up to no good as usual.

and they get a nice living off the sweat of others' brows.

Although I posted that myself, I didn't realise that's a biblical quote - from Genesis 3:19 :

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.

There really is a bibalickle quote for every occasion 😀

Life ain't always empty.

A llittle harsh perhaps, but it's well known that study for the priesthood required completion of a degree before ordination, "brothers" did not require that. I'm sure your relative was a nice person who strove to make the world a better place, let's just say that not too many idealists ended up in Dublin's poorer suburbs.

How can anyone prove belief in anything? They can't. I could rhyme off all sorts of prayers learned off by rote in my childhood, despite not believing a word.

US evangelists are just successful manipulators of people. I hate what people call "charisma" - it's just a way of causing others to override their better judgment. This applies to politics too, of course!

Life ain't always empty.

America would be where I would want to go if I wanted to make the big money,

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

1. You can fake a calling for the sake of a job.
    2. But think twice. If the job requires a vocation that you haven't got, you're likely to hate being in the job. Is career misery a price you are willing to pay for prosperity?
    3. Plus, you're fairly likely to do it badly, or at best in a mediocre fashion. So it's not likely to be a route to prosperity anyway.
    4. Plus, even if you are sincere in your vocation, and good at your job, religious ministry isn't generally a route to prosperity. While there are a few fabulously wealthy televangelists in the US, for the great bulk of those working in ministry the pay is nothing to write home about. If you're going to fake it in some profession as a route to wealth, you'd be wiser to fake it in a profession that offers a better prospect of wealth. That's most professions, to be honest.
    5. But if you're absolutely determined that faking it in religious ministry is the way to go, then what you should fake is being Jewish. On average rabbis are, by a considerable length, the best paid clergy of any religion or denomination.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmm, the cynic in me would say there are many people in many professions that are in their jobs primarily for the money and often aren't good at those jobs as a result. I'd imagine this is as true for the clergy as many other occupations. The difference in today's Ireland is young folks are no longer as pressured into joining the clergy as they once might have been and we see diminishingly few vocations as a result. Whether you still have a very few following that path as an easy option is anyone's guess, but given overall numbers, I'd doubt it. Maybe a thing in more affluent parts of the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There was a minor kerfuffle in my Dublin suburb in the late 70s. A son of one of the families across the road from us signed up for the priesthood, spent a few years getting a degree his family could not otherwise have afforded, then quit before becoming a made man. The tutting was audible from Earth orbit.

Sounds like typical bitterness and begrudgery. Neighbours jealous that the "thicko" up the road actually fared out better than their own darling genius children 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"In Ireland, for a long time it was an escape route for those who did not wish to marry, if you get me. A route to respectability and indeed privilege, instead of condemnation and contempt."

Yep, had a relative who did just that. Went on the missions and acquired house boys to help around the place. It was a valid choice in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭CrazyEric

A lot of the "Mammys" knew what their "special" son was, they couldn't put it in words, little Johnny wasn't "gay" he just had a "calling" and was forced into the church to hide him because sexuality didn't matter to a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd join the prods for a calling/job far superior job than a Catholic priest

But that’s an ignorant view of what religious people believe. I am not one of them and i can identify the ignorance.

They do not believe they are eating the body of someone who died 2k years prior they are almost reenacting the events of the last supper.

what the priest says is what Jesus would have said according to the records available. They’re bulk ordered wafers. No ones that codded except yourself i think?

As for faking your faith that would be a rough dose surely? I couldn’t imagine myself faking believing in God or having a faith that I just don’t have.

Im sure there’s plenty who do but I couldn’t imagine it’s the majority.

As @Hotblack Desiato said America is the place to go if you want the big money. The money is so big and it is really just showmanship.

Senior Pastor 

• 1 to 150 members – $35,494 to $67,221
    • 150 to 300 members – $75,624 to $83,533
    • 300 to 500 members – $96,656
    • 501 to 999 members – $120,485
    • Over 1,000 members – $162,761

--

I believe they call the churches with 2000 members and above, "mega churches"

The biggest ones seem to have 40,000 plus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd imagine you're right in terms of no-one being codded that the bulk ordered wafers are anything other than bulk ordered wafers, even when eaten as part of a religious ceremony. As an atheist, to me that begs the question what other religious claims from Christianity do most religious folks consider to be just codding / bunk? Everyone being direct descendants of Adam and Eve, every other land animal a direct descendant from a single pair from Noah's ark etc... There's quite a bit of rather far fetched stuff to choose from, should you take the bible in its entirety literally. If you don't take it literally, you end up choosing what to believe based on what you'd like to be true on the one hand and what you find credible on the other.

My guess is that there are huge numbers of people faking faith. Religion was something beaten into you for many in previous generations in this country and still is in plenty of places elsewhere. Faking belief in the context of coercion and nasty repercussions seems entirely reasonable, doing so for financial gain is similarly plausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Probably more common than people think especially in politics. Your question immediately made me think of the former green party leader, previously a primary school teacher, school principal, local councellor and TD in north dublin from 1992 to 2011. After losing his dail seat, he went on to become a CofI priest around 2017 and is now Bunclody parish rector. If preaching through politics closes off, why not switch to the pulpit at almost sixty to share your views? Probably was a late calling though 😏😏.

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

transubstantiation

noun CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY

the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining.

the thing is no one’s being codded that these waters are Jesus Christ reborn they are absolutely symbolic and I don’t believe anyone is making a claim to the contrary.

I was dragged along to mass as a young wan and went through the sacraments and this is how I’ve always understood it as well as anyone I know who still practices.

The comment just comes across to me as point and laugh at the stupid people who believe the stupid stuff. Could be an unfair POV and I hope I haven’t offended anyone saying such.

But yeah there’s no smoke and mirrors at play, it’s all symbolic.

But sure that’s religion summed up.

Transubstantiation – the idea that during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the body and blood of Jesus Christ – is central to the Catholic faith.

Transubstantiation is what differentiates catholics from protestants. You cannot say "no one is being codded". It is the absolute core of catholicism, and if it isn't believed in then the catholic church comes to an end.

Ah look if you don’t agree with me that’s okay, I fully subscribe to the opinion that no one’s being “codded” and there’s not a seat occupied in any church by someone who believes without question the wafer has all of a sudden turned to Jesus.

I think you’re reading it far too literally. But look we can have a difference of opinion there’s nothing wrong with that.

Agree to disagree sure.

However a catholic who doesn't believe in transubstantiation is not a catholic, they are a christian or a protestant and they are in the wrong church.

I am reading it literally because it is the one key differentiator between the religions. There were many people killed up north on this one difference of belief.

Name one person who was killed up north on account of differing opinions about transsubstantiation.

Whether you still have a very few following that path as an easy option is anyone's guess, but given overall numbers, I'd doubt it.

I'd doubt it too, if only because, these days, it's far from an easy ride, in Ireland at any rate. It was never a lucrative profession, but it did come with a high degree of social approbation, which is definitely not the case now. Plus, you're working in a demoralised and declining institution and, given the clergy shortage, you're massively overworked compared to back in the day. You might not agree with the convictions or values of someone signing up for the gig now, but I'd be fairly confident that they are sincerely held.

I'm amused by Hotblack's story:

The amusement is because this wasn't unusual or remarkable; it was absolutely standard. Back in the days when the country was full of seminaries bursting at the seams, well over 50% of those who entered did not remain to ordination. Going into a seminary absolutely was a route to education for bright boys whose families could not otherwise afford it. The religious orders were perfectly aware of this and, by and large, relaxed about it. For many of them, educating people was part of their apostolate anyway, so they didn't see it as a waste of resources or a lost opportunity.

I don't think it was a case of everybody going in either being full of pious zeal or being cynically determined on bailing at the end of the third year. Probably a lot went in the sense of trying it out, thinking that it might be for them but aware that if it turned out not to be for them they would still benefit from having been to the seminary. And probably more than a few went in full of pious zeal, but grew up a bit and changed course. And of course quite a few who decided early on not to stay the course would have stayed to complete the BA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But that is incorrect, they literally claim the contrary. That's the entire teaching. If you understood differently, you misunderstood. I'm not having a pop at your knowledge, if just that it's a really defining aspect various religions.

Many people probably do assume it is symbolic, it seems an obvious idea. But that's entirely at odds with the teaching of the church. And it's not a case of they don't say its symbolic, but we all know that's what they mean. It's specifically excluded that the presence as merely symbolic or figurative sense. It's defined as independent of the feelings of participants, whether they have faith or not.

Disagreeing with that view was a one of the key point during the reformation. Protestants generally hold a looser view that it's not corporally/physically the body of Christ, but spiritually (aka symbolic). Although different branches vary.

• Advertisement

As a vicar you can still get the (heterosexual) ride 👍️ if you're into Arlene Foster types 😀

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement