Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 7a

Options
  • 11-05-2023 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Google Pixel 7a released.

Couple of key changes for an 'A' Series pixel

• Wireless charging introduced - however only 7.5W (new)
    • Face unlock (new)
    • 90Hz screen (up from 6a - 60Hz)
    • 8GB RAM (up from 6a - 2GB) / 128GB Storage (same)
    • Battery 4385mAh (down from 6a - 4410mAh)

Prices at time of posting:

• Google store - €509
    • Vodafone - €519.99

Free shipping and both offers include free Pixel Buds A-Series

For Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro discussion - see separate thread here

Google Pixel 7a: Specs

(from Toms Guide).

Screen size 6.1-inch OLED (2400 x 1080, 429ppi)

Refresh rate 90Hz

CPU Tensor G2

RAM 8GB

Storage / Expandable? 128GB / No

Rear cameras 64MP (f/1.89) main; 13MP (f/2.2)

Front camera 13MP (f/2.2)

Battery size 4,385 mAh

Battery life (Hrs:Mins) 10:05 (60Hz)

Wired charging speed 18W

Wireless charging? Yes

Size 6 x 2.8 x 0.4 inches / 152 x 72.9 x 9.0 mm

eight 6.8 ounces / 193.5 grams

Colors Charcoal, Sea, Snow, Coral (Google Store exclusive)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That should read 8GB RAM (up from 6a - 6GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

Yep - my bad - up 2GB from 6GB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Priced very similar to Pixel 7 isn't it?! Gonna wait and see if any deals arise

The reviews say the same. It's so close to the 7 you might as well get the 7. However if you get the 7a in a sale in few months then it's a more attractive deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

The 7A has a better camera than the 7 too, this will swing a few people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wasn't the fingerprint sensor crap on the 7 ? Stopped me from getting one recently when it was on discount.

Have they fixed that I wonder ?

Better camera sounds like a good draw, since the 7 had a very good camera.

Where are you getting it's a better camera. Any review I read said the 7 was a tiny bit better with photos and video. They wondered is there a software difference on the 7a.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Zdnet was one site. Yeah it'll be the software improving it, even though it has a higher MP the sensor is slightly smaller than the standard and Pro.

It's for sale on Vodafone, but no deals yet on PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

Theres no optical zoom on the A-series pixel cameras also, unlike the standard or Pro, digital zoom only.

• Advertisement

Did anyone go for it? Ordered the white model with the earbuds direct from Google yesterday. DHL dispatch email today with delivery early next week. The misses gets a set of buds, I get a new gadget to try. Win-win...

Got from 100% at 1.30pm yesterday down to 35% at midnight, very heavy usage and set up all day. Thought that was decent, time will tell.

Camera is very good, especially the front camera. Pictures come out quite natural looking. The video is bumped up to 4K and is smooth.

I've a 30w charger so can't comment much on the speed, but I had it on the wireless charger overnight (approx 6 hours) and was 100% when awake, that was expected anyway.

Have a glass protector on it, finger print works 9/10 of the time (both thumbs registered twice), face unlock set up and I also have smart unlock for when ts connected to watch, car or home. Safe to say I've had zero issues getting in to this device!

For comparison, I'm coming from a Galaxy S23 Ultra and an iPhone 14 Pro which are obviously leagues ahead. Intend to change gadgets quite often and a Pixel was on my list to try. Didn't want to curved screen of the 7 Pro and the buds sort of enticed me toward the A model over the standard.

Happy so far.

Nice summary Cheers. Use ampere to check the charging your getting at low %. If you want to check chargers and cables, or wireless pads.

In what are those others Leagues ahead. Just curious.

I have one phone with a higher end CPU, than our 4a/6a phones. You do notice it's much snappier doing things. But it sits in a drawer because people prefer the pixel cameras.

Thanks, will give ampere a shot when I'm home this evening and let you know.

The screens on the other phones are definitely a lot sharper - not saying this is bad at all, just what I've been used to the last couple of months. I've this up to 90hz and animations set at x0.5 to try get that snappiness. It's perfectly fine.

Definitely better cameras, video, screen, build quality, haptics to name but a few on the other devices. But I was getting this knowing it was a decent mid range phone and knew I was making sacrifices getting it, so I'm not going to complain :-) It's a nice phone.

Post edited by rizzee on

So 16 hours later I'm on 12%.

Just over 5 hours SOT, WiFi and 5G on all day, an additional 2hrs 15mins Spotify (Car BT) , connected to watch all day and took a few videos and photos on walk. Also finalising setting up some apps and getting the layout the way I want it.

I know it's only the first full day, but Googles "all day battery" claim seems fairly plausible. If anything, it should get better as it adapts. Will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What are the chances of deals on this? I have a OnePlus 8T which I have never taken to, but was thinking of getting another 6 months out of it. Need a set of earbuds too

VF usually have 50/100e off within weeks of release. The free buds offer expires soon

I have no interest in the buds. I'll wait until there's a discount on the phone.

Already going very cheap on Adverts! I bought a brand new one sealed with Google Receipt including tracked postage for €380 this morning. Will arrange the free UPS collection for the phone (and the buds, lucky I didn't open them!) to be sent back to Google when I've swapped everything over to the new one when it's here tomorrow. €129 back into the pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why are people selling these on for 380 already!? Would they have bought them for cheaper somehow?

The person I got it off actually bought it from Curry's and not Google direct. €529 but there was a 50% employee discount according to receipt. Win win for the both of us. Not sure about the rest of the sellers, they can't all be Curry's employees :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

Yeah I was thinking the same. Wouldn't mind upgrading my pixel 4a for that price but would be wary.

Not at all, Adverts is generally fine, just keep an eye on users feedback and you'll be grand. It's a nice step up from the 4A, I do miss the FP sensor on the back of the phone!

50% curry's discount! Must see if I know anyone who works there!

Yeah I'm looking to upgrade from 4a. Battery lasts about 4 hours these days unfortunately. Will wait until I can get the 7a for 350ish before I jump though.

Yeah I'll wait for the a drop first...

Any deals on this yet?

N/A

Post edited by rizzee on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Advertisement