Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croi Conaithe (Towns) - Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

Options
  • 09-08-2022 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I bought a 1960's house in May 2022 - it is in a town in Munster.

I'd moved from the country as I wished to live in a town - closer to amenities etc.

The house was vacant for 2.5 years before I moved in.

I've moved some of my furniture into the house. The house needs a lot more work than I had envisaged - it needs rewiring and replumbing, doors and windows.

No renovation works have been started - as I simply do not have the funds and I don't where to start with the works.

Then, last weekend, I heard about the Croi Conaithe. The grant seemed like the answer to my prayers.

I qualify under all criteria - except one - I am living in the house since the purchase completed. (Note: living means sleeping on a mattress on the floor - minimal furniture - most furniture still in storage - clothes and belongings in bags).

The Scheme was not available when I purchased - had it been i would, of course, have submitted my grant application before sleeping here.

BTW - I sold my previous home in October 2021. From then until May 2022 I was living in a friends spare room (very grateful) - and was also going between friends and family.

I've contacted the local Council and they have informed me that I do not qualify as I am living here. The property needs to be vacant.

I'm at my wits end at this stage. Would anyone have heard of, or would be, in a similar situation? Is there a workaround for this?

Any or all help appreciated.

WE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How did you get on with this? Why did you need to tell them you where staying in the house at all , does a couple of weeks lying on a floor count as living in the house.

I am looking to do this aswell with a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭michael jay

apologies for bringing up a thread that is a few months old.

Any luck from either of the posters, has anyone got it approved, has it been paid out? was it worth it.

Would be aiming to possibly get something like this in the future

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

I see the terms of entry to the scheme have changed and its not just for first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

A friend has a rural dwelling which she has owned for over 15 years. It has been vacant for over 2 years due to being in need of heating and general upgrade. Given this it would seem to qualify as per the guidelines. However the LPT has been paid every year and is up to date. She has had house insurance on it and the electricity is still on and used to keep some heat going through storage heaters and electric heaters in order to keep the house in a decent shape. To this end would it be difficult to prove vacancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can't comment on the scheme but just to note that your friend's house insurance could be invalid when the house is unoccupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

Hi has anyone any success with this. Just got keys on property that has been vacant for what I’ve been told nearly five years but am struggling to prove it. Estate agent told us but I need to prove it with a formal letter. No luck from solicitors. Any advise

• Registered Users Posts: 27 heddie77

Hi

So we were approved for this Grant in october - beware of the clawback where you have to get a legal charge registered on your property for a period of 10 years. I am finding this part difficult and my solicitor does not think my mortgage bank will approve it.

So i do not think the council will pay out until this is done..

we are still in the process of works and have spent almost 40k to date the vacant house we bought needed to be completely gutted, re wired re plumbed etc. So i have asked them to do a final inspection to try and get the grant paid out but this legal charge is holding all up.

Just beware of this part.. its a total balls!!

our property was vacant 2 years lady was in a nursing home.. we were approved with not much difficulty we had to provide estimates for everything basically to say the works will cost over 30k ,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paper Clip

Hi,

How did you prove that the property was vacant ? I have requested usage from Electric Ireland for the property we wish to refurbish but they said they do not provide that information anymore.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

I had this problem also with the esb so i just sent in an esb bill that came to the house that showed little usage and sent proof that the owners of the house had separate addresses so they were not living there.. this seemed to work. but i am finding it hard now even since approval to get a response from them. Maybe the previous owner could furnish a letter to say when they moved out?

Many thanks for your help on this. Ours was a probate sale and the estate was selling the property. I think I will send in the application as you suggested that the sellers we at a different address. Best of luck with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Am hoping to apply in the next week or so but not sure if to apply for 5/6 things or limit it to vital stuff eg. existing kitchen will do but will need replacing down the road. Any advice regarding how they calculate what is given out as in if the kitchen costs €10,000 and the maximum kitchen units grant is €5,500 is the 1st €30,000 total covered and if I don't do the kitchen units do I lose out pro rata on the grant total or will the €30,000+ I will be spending on the house be covered anyway?

Hope that long winded question makes sense.

This is exaxtly what ours was the lady in the nursing home died and it was left to her 2 kids.. so i sent in the grant of probate with the application to prove she had died and had not been living there some time and the kids had separate addresses. this seemed to work for us! Good luck

I just got estimates for everything! Our kitchen quote alone was 11k and not including appliances, i got quotes for replacing electrics, plumbing, floors, doors internal and external, gates, garage door, windows, stove, replacing all the skirting etc. Every bit counts so our estimates were well over 30k. As long as they have an official estimate they are happy. On inspection also they will ask questions about your plans to renovate but make sure you dont touch it until they see it as you cannot start works until they see it in its bad state and the worse it looks the better

unless it was derelict the max they offer is 30k .. derelict homes are up to 50k

Hi, Many thanks for all the information. We may have to move into the house as it stands and live in the property when the work is being done. By living in the property would that disqualify us from getting the grant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

My understanding and open to correction is that the house must be vacant at least 24 months prior to applying for the grant, I would probably allow the inspectors to come and visit the property prior to moving in as you want the optics of it all to be 100% plus you have to show evidence of nobody having been there over that preceding 2 year period. This may not be possible in your circumstances.

oh yes i think you can live there no problem we were lucky to have a cheap rental nearby but im sure most people do need to move in asap.

• Advertisement

i think you are totally fine to live there as it only has to be vacant for 2 years PREVIOUS to you buying it, sure not many people can afford to pay rent and a mortgage at the same time

Thank you. I will send in the application and see how it goes !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Diyselfbuilder

Has anyone got approved and got payment from the grant? I have applied and got told it will take a few weeks for an inspector to visit the house and until then I shouldn't make more renovations as any renovations already complete won't be payable under the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NameUnavailable

@Diyselfbuilder lucky you that you're at least waiting for the inspector, we still haven't heard anything since our application went in back in November. No response or answering the phone from anyone in the council - we are in Donegal

Have entirely stopped work in the meantime, paying both rent and mortgage. Ridiculous situation. Hoping you have a smoother ride

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curgar

Just applied for this grant.

Does anyone know how long it takes to be approved or how long it takes to have the place inspected?

House is in Dublin, and like most people we will need to move in ASAP :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MikeyBoy007

Hi there , I was hoping to apply for this grant  but cork city council have yet to employ someone to inspect properties ! Any advice in filling out forms , house has to be completely re-wired, plumbed insulated etc. ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Diyselfbuilder

I submitted my application to Dlrcoco mid Jan. I haven't got an inspection date yet. I was told it would be around the end of Feb. No date yet. Told to stop working on the house until the inspection. I think they need to change that rule, surely from the date of application, any works being done or materials purchased should be applicable to recoupe from the grant.

I think the process needs a serious rejig for the application process and wait times and definitely more staff allocated towards inspections. Having to wait 8 to 12 weeks for an inspection is madness when waiting is clearly costing money with renting and also paying a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Miss123

Applied in January had inspection last week and said I should know in 2 weeks. Told us after the inspection we can start works. We are trying to hold off to see if we get the grant or how much we may qualify for before we start. Has anyone got approved, got the work done and actually got paid yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bell87

Yes i am in a somewhat similar situation. 1st time buyers of a 1930's traditional farmhouse and got the keys October Weekend 2022. Moved in during November 2022 as lets be real .. cant afford rent on a property and mortgage on another and general bills at the same time. I was made aware of this grant in December 2022 and got onto my local coco about it for more info. I am applying for the refurbishment grant and not the derelict grant. She said it sounded like we are eligible. so after Christmas in January 2023 i got my quotations for the application and sent all information needed in. I've just been informed we do not qualify as we are living in the property. But i am now appealing it and going to challenge this because nowhere on their application or on the information for this grant does it state that one cannot live in the property during the application or refurbishment process. The conditions outlined state that the house must of been vacant for 2 or more years preceding the application which our was. the house must of been built prior to 1993 which our was, the house must be our primary private residence after refurbishment which ours will be of course. I have spoken to a few local county councillors in my area who are in agreement with me that nowhere does it state on the application or on their information that one cannot move into their house during the application process and refurb process and they are going to be supporting me in my appeal.

There are many people like us in this situation and everyone needs to appeal and shout from the rooftops. What do the government expect? We live in tents in the garden for a few months to a year in order to qualify for the grant? This money is there to be given to people like us and since this scheme has been made available they have not issued any money to anyone yet as per an article i read 2 weeks ago.

They are going to have to change their stance on this and pressure needs to be put on so get onto your local councillors and TD's

Advertisement