Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Advertising on the site

Options
  • 10-03-2022 1:47pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys, we are in a position of needing to improve the revenue of Boards in order to keep things running. It has been an ever changing problem over the years with advertising methods and other income streams constantly evolving and we sometimes struggle to keep up. 

For a while now we have not been seeing the results we should be based on how many people are seeing the ads/ad slots on the site. For this reason, we have engaged the services of an expert team at Snigel to help us to improve our revenue stream via Google Ads. 

In order to do this they will be implementing some changes to the ads on the site. 

One of their recommendations is to increase the different sizes of ads appearing in any given slot. The ad slots won’t change in size but the addition of some new sizes that fit within that same slot will open us up to some more advertisers and ads. 

Another recommendation was to add some new slots. The only one we will add at this time is a top ad on the mobile site which will be the same size as the current footer (bottom) ad and mirrors the fact that we have a top ad on desktop above the content. It will not be sticky like the footer ad is and it will disappear as you move down the page. 

On the desktop site the side ad will be sticky, i.e. it will stay in place as you move down the page. This will mirror (in a way) the sticky footer that we already have on mobile.

I know no one likes ads but unfortunately they are a necessary tool to keep the site alive and to cover costs which we are not doing at the moment. I’d ask all of you reaching for the ad blocker to pause and give it some time after the changes have been implemented before taking that step :)

These new changes will take effect over the coming days. 

Thanks guys!

Niamh.  

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

So, how many ad clicks do we need to do each day? :) I've no intention to sell my car or register with Quinnbet, but was happy to see their proposition - maybe it will have changed tomorrow.

Invasive ads just lead to people blocking them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was getting a lot of Russian ads yesterday on board's, obviously I am googling and keeping up with the news currently, I did report the adverts to Google just because they were irrelevant as entirely in Russian...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You'd be far better off starting a Patreon or something and allowing us to chip in a quid a month towards covering the costs; than to plaster even more invasive advertising over the place.

Like you've basically now just made it to where I will never browse the site on my phone again, and I will save my viewing for desktop where I have the ad blocker and site style fixer set up 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don’t know what’s going on with ads on my phone but a lot of the time I’m typing in comment box and I can’t even see what I’m writing because of the bloody ad across the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The problem isn’t ads, it’s a combination of ad blockers, misleading ads, and nonsensical clickbait like “7 things your sandwich says about your driving habits”. If we’re going to be spending money on a third party company, can they at least guarantee relevant ads?

Might also be worth asking users to whitelist the site so we can get ad impressions in the first place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So for the mobile site there will be the Boards banner on top, an ad banner at the top also that presumably will reappear every time you scroll up, and a permanent ad banner at the bottom.

Am I reading this correctly?

If that's the case it will make the mobile site pretty much unusable. Especially when trying to type a reply which is already bad enough with the bottom ad blocking out the bottom of the text box.

Best of luck keeping users engaged with that carry-on.

You'd be better served trying some alternative revenue streams like Patreon (as already mentioned).

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Might be better to look at an ad free version for a set annual amount that runs alongside the ad version.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I flagged stupid ads previously covering the screen and was told to use the mobile version. I went with ad blockers to keep the experience.

I would pay a subscription to avoid the fecking things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Brave browser on your phone blocks all ads as default.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,028 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think my brain just ignores the ads at this stage, I guess at least the ad styling isnt such that the ads look like posts or threads to click on like other sites. Not really a fan of the ads that change or that are animated, they just don't look great

There are ads?

You're leaving money on the table by choosing to serve no ads if users disagree on this prompt when first visiting. Like you don't need an ad blocker on boards.ie. The block ads button is in the bottom right corner.

Why not work out how to serve ads based on the page's content if users choose Disagree? That would still protect their privacy. I have no idea how many people would choose Disagree on this site but 96% of iPhone users choose to not let apps share tracking when prompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you choose disagree there, does it not just show you random ads rather than targeted ones? I don't think it stops ads altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Who doesn't use an adocker these days ? On desk and on phone ?

And it seems for me, most pages on the site don't have any ads because they don't fill. Like this page of the Russia thread never shows an ad for me.

Despite my name, I know feck all about ads, so I'm not sure what's causing it, but Google does show some stuff for "ad unit did not fill".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was a time when searching on boards for information on a Triton Shower or Sony tv that the ads that popped up were related to what i'm looking for. Ads I'm seeing now today are for an online cake builder & an outdoor store. I'm not going to click on either of these because I have no interest in them. Basing ads on keywords in a thread will deliver much more clicks compared to random ads

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh

• Advertisement

Ads blocking your keyboard was an issue that was resolved some time ago, if you are still experienving it please try clearing cookies & cache and/or logging out and back in and if it is still an issue please report to the appropriate thread in Feedback, thanks.

Much as we appreciate the idea of throwing €1 a month into a Patreon or similar, it is not a guaranteed income nor is it likley to be big enough to keep things afloat. Subscribing to the site will a) help support us and b) result in a no ads experience. However subscribing is not as straight forward as it was before the move so less people are doing it (understandably).

If you do want to subscribe, you can make a payment to boards.ie.pp@gmail.com on Paypal and send your transaction ID to me on hello@boards.ie or by PM. I'll add you as a subscriber then. We do plan to clean up the subbing process as soon as we can. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The keyboard on replies to threads seems to be resolved ok, but the text box for reporting posts is still an almighty mess - if you have to correct anything you're typing completely blind unless you collapse the whole thing, move your cursor, then backspace blindfolded - and if you click on the wrong place it's rinse and repeat. It's a complete pain.

ETA - sorry, apologies, just realised I shouldn't have posted that here as this thread is about advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How much?

Can this be set up as a recurring transaction in PayPal?

Are there any subscriber benefits (apart from the possibility of a warm feeling inside 😊 ) ?

Life ain't always empty.

Oops I meant to include the amounts and forgot, sorry!

• One month subscription €5
    • Three month (quarterly) subscription €13
    • One year subscription €50

Aside from the warm feeling inside (lol) you will also have no ads on the site and access to the First Class Lounge. I'll be honest, I don't know how active that is or isn't at the moment. You can also request a username change when you are a subscriber.

I was a subscriber before and the FCL was pretty quiet, but like anything else it is what people make of it I suppose. Remember when access to the SEX FORUM was the big incentive to subscribe?? 😁

Thanks Niamh!

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The Sex & Sexuality forum was 'subscriber only' because of its content. It was a way to try and keep adult discussions in places that only adults could access. Times have obviously changed, but that was the idea behind it being a 'subscriber only' forum.

Oh I know but making it subscriber only did cause some people to raise their expectations a bit too much 🤣

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I thought the site was already at the point where you can't be a begging chooser and specifically say no to setting up a tip jar for people to contribute small amounts; and instead continue to push the full subscription. Sorry, but boards doesn't offer anywhere near enough to justify fifty quid a year compared to the likes of a year's worth of reddit premium, which is also fifty quid annually.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement