Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N64/Megadrive Switch Online Expansion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

N64 Games Coming to Nintendo Switch Online, Insider Says; Expected to be a Part of a Higher Priced Premium Tier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder how that would work for existing subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Personally wouldn't pay much extra for N64, or Gameboy or Gameboy Advance. Have so many options for playing those already, of course it'd be handier having them all on Switch, but not worth a significant price hike.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, while I might nose through titles if they were there at no additional cost I don't think I'd be fussed to pay extra for them, particularly not if they're going to be added at the same glacial rate they did for the NES & SNES libraries (which was fine on the Wii VC when they were being sold piecemeal, but less so on a library basis...).

I don't think there are enough games I'd be properly interested in playing on the N64 that this would be particularly compelling - off the top of my head I reckon the two Zeldas, Star Fox 64, Perfect Dark, maybe Excite Bike, Wave Race and Pilotwings? I guess Mario 64 would interest some if it turns up and isn't vaulted due to the 3D All-Stars release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Show me where to sign up, despite having many of them as a cart and others running on emulation platforms all over the place, I will still be happy to spend the extra couple of euro and play the N64 titles on the go.

I'll be fascinated to see what they bring, and if they will run at full NTSC speed, especially Waverace 64 and 1080 snowboarding, so good

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how they control. It's one thing doing it for a single game in Mario 64.

Wonder if the frame rate will improve or will we still be able to grind games like Goldeneye to single fps using mines or Blast Corps. Fun times.

There are games I would like to play. Of course there are other ways to play them

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They'll want to shake a leg and announce it soon. My automatic renewal is in a few days (and I'm sure that's the same for a lot of people).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I'd happily pay an extra tenner a year for the N64 games to be added to NSO. In an ideal world, they would manage to get the Rare games on there too but even without, there are plenty of Nintendo 1st part games worth playing: Mario 64, Zelda OOT & MM, Waverace, Pilotwings, 1080, Excitebike, F-Zero X, Starfox, Mario Kart 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Super Smash Bros, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64, several Mario Party games, Paper Mario.

I thought the emulation job for Mario 64 in 3D Allstars collection was really well done but not sure if this service would get the same level of treatment.

Nintendo seems to be gearing up for some sort of new Switch controller

The controller listing for the NSO SNES controller s was "HAC042". This filing is "HAC043". Maybe, it's a controller for the upcoming N64 NSO announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A price hike would be a bit rich.

Guess this is how the Switch gets OOT and MM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mean, right now this is all rumours and the N64 stuff is being pushed as "reliable" on the basis of the previous yet-to-actually-manifest rumour about GB and GBC games being added. So for all we know it's a Pro Controller with a speaker built in to take advantage of the new BT audio support ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Isn't this the same website that reported cloud versions of Assasins Creed Odyssey and GTA5 last year?

Perfect Dark to Arrive on Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Later This Year, Insider Says – Believes All Nintendo Rare Games Are Coming

Microsoft do seem to have a strategy at the moment of getting their games on to as many platforms as possible XCloud on android, Game Pass on PC and now Banjo Kazooie confirmed for NSO-N64... The chances are high

I would still take this with a dollop of salt until I see it though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We won't be getting Goldeneye though, which the one we all really want

I think the rose-tinted glasses would shatter pretty fast for many unless the nostalgia is really strong. Having missed the N64 originally (though I played a few Goldeneye multiplayer sessions at a friend-of-a-friend's house a couple of times) I bought one sometime around 2010 (possibly after enjoying Mario 64 on the Wii VC) and picked up a few games, including Goldeneye. I lasted about 15 minutes with Goldeneye before getting bored/annoyed at the controller, although I got on reasonably well with Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero X. For me Timesplitters 2 multiplayer on PS2 holds the place Goldeneye does for N64 owners, in terms of fondly-remembered multiplayer deathmatch action (though looking it up, it's not really surprising that the developers of TS2 included several ex-Rare staff).

I wouldn't think so, there would need to be an agreement with IO (bond video game franchise owners) and Rare (who developed the game) but there is a glimmer of hope for the likes of Blast Corps, Bad Fur Day and Banjo Tooie

Blast Corps is still an amazing game, I know I played it to death on release.

Bad Fur Day as well, finished that at the time as well, spectacular stuff although criticised at the time for its humour, but it was a great game.

I know I was and remain unimpressed with Donkey Kong 64, which was a painful collect'em up.

Banjo, the first one, I played for a while but I think I was too busy having a good time on my Playstation at that point...

The 90s was a turbulent time in my household, as I bought and sold most consoles a couple of time, although only got a Saturn in '99.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rare game for me that I'd desire most is Jet Force Gemeni it was kooky and crazy fun to play

Forgot about that one, good call

I know you can get that on Rare Replay, can you get that on xcloud though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

No clue just the switch N64 version I'm interested in myself only time will tell if it gets added or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You played Conker's lately? Because it's complete thrash that's as bad as Donkey Kong 64. And the humour is really cringe now.

It doesn't really bother me, how it plays now.

When I played it at the time people were dumping on it and lauding DK64.

I really enjoyed it, again at the time.

I'm not likely to play it again, it is as linear as linear can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

... do we need a "N64: Switch Online" thread ...?

Yep! Good call. Done.

Excellent call, I wonder how closely nintendo are sticking to their mid-october date, technically mid october is the 16th, 3 days from now

I thought it was "late October" so assumed it'd be around the 27th or so.

For me the main points of interest are Star Fox and Sin & Punishment on the N64, though I would probably look at Mario Tennis, Dr Mario and Mario Party. Already have the GC disc for OoT and MM so not really fussed about them.

On the Mega Drive side, I already have the Sega collection (which I found a bit disappointing tbh) which covers a lot of them - but I'm always on for an excuse to revisit Gunstar Heroes, and Castlevania Bloodlines might be a fun diversion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I think we all know late October is 23:59 (PDT) on October 31 😂

• Advertisement

The Animal Crossing Direct is on this week so maybe the one for this will be next week.

Advertisement