Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip chat

Options
  • 22-10-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭

This thread may die a death, but sure may as well see where it goes. :)

I was delighted to see PP approved on the main street for "2 No. Shops and 1 No. Cafe" and some apartments above them. Except when I went to look at the application, it's now 11 apartments. Bizarre that an application can change so fundamentally and no revised notice be published or displayed.

I was looking forward to some new blood in the village whenever Covid ended, but guess I'll be waiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

buffalo wrote: »
    This thread may die a death, but sure may as well see where it goes. :)

I was delighted to see PP approved on the main street for "2 No. Shops and 1 No. Cafe" and some apartments above them. Except when I went to look at the application, it's now 11 apartments. Bizarre that an application can change so fundamentally and no revised notice be published or displayed.

I was looking forward to some new blood in the village whenever Covid ended, but guess I'll be waiting.

Where on the main street would this be located? Great to see some plans, despite Covid. There's a few empty shops that it would be nice to see occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭buffalo

Across the road from Town, but a little nearer the junction with Captain's Hill.
    terraced properties numbers 29, 31, 33, 37 and 39 Main Street including for reconstruction of existing fire damaged two-storey terraced property 33, 35 Main Street

http://www.eplanning.ie/KildareCC/AppFileRefDetails/191433/0

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How many apartments were included in the original design and when was that application made?
    The newspaper advert for the current application in December 2019 mentions 11 apartments.
    http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2340919&format=jpeg

How many apartments were included in the original design and when was that application made?
    The newspaper advert for the current application in December 2019 mentions 11 apartments.
    http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2340919&format=jpeg

Originally 3 commercial units and 11 apartments, now just 11 apartments.

There seems to have been an FI site notice and notice in the Leinster Leader which I don't read, so I have to retract part of my earlier post. Still disappointed not to have a few new commercial units on the main street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Motorway noise - any progress on resurfacing the M4 with the sound-reducing tarmac between Leixlip - Kilcock?

Seems to make a big difference when you hit it around Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Naos wrote: »
    Motorway noise - any progress on resurfacing the M4 with the sound-reducing tarmac between Leixlip - Kilcock?

Seems to make a big difference when you hit it around Maynooth.

I thought I read it was going to be resurfaced as far as Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Are they not extending the stretch to 3 lanes each way? Out as far as Kilcock as far as i remember...

TII will be widening it to Maynooth. It is at Pre-Appraisal stage...
    https://www.tii.ie/projects/road-schemes/#120

Discussed on boards here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=109628732

TII will be widening it to Maynooth. It is at Pre-Appraisal stage...
    https://www.tii.ie/projects/road-schemes/#120

Discussed on boards here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=109628732

Is the third lane going to be a bus lane though?

Will a third lane mean more noise or will the noise-reducing asphalt make a big difference?

• Advertisement

Is the third lane going to be a bus lane though?
    Hopefully!
    However, knowing Irish road design, it is likely to facilitate cars.
    Will a third lane mean more noise or will the noise-reducing asphalt make a big difference?
    You'd have to read the design specs to seek the asphalt type.
    If the extra lane is for cars (as with the N4 from M50 to Leixlip is) then you can expect more cars on the "build it and they will come" basis.
    Therefore, you can expect more noise and air pollution.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The intention is for three general traffic lanes both ways and a bus lane as a fourth lane inbound only. We'll see if that happens though.

Hopefully!
    However, knowing Irish road design, it is likely to facilitate cars.

You'd have to read the design specs to seek the asphalt type.
    If the extra lane is for cars (as with the N4 from M50 to Leixlip is) then you can expect more cars on the "build it and they will come" basis.
    Therefore, you can expect more noise and air pollution.

Thanks for the information, appreciate it alebit slightly disappointing, I thought the intention was to reduce road noise, not increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

Downtown Leixlip is a shambles, so derelict and grim IMHO. Compared to neighboring main streets of Maynooth and Celbridge which are inviting and you can walk around at ease. I reckon a one way traffic system between DaVinci's and Alvitos is required thereby closing a traffic lane in favour of foot traffic would breath new economic opportunities into the town.
    My proposal, construction of a raised flyover bridge between the Rye river bridge (beside Aldi) merging with access road across Liffey to the water treatment works. Sketch attached. In reality this might be too costly but something radical should be done.

Should we knock the castle while we're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Would be far too costly but the village definitely needs something.
    The footpath is so tight that oncoming pedestrians make you realise how close the cars are.

Should we knock the castle while we're at it?

Well not to digress and we can start a seperate thread to discus BWtF we're they thinking building it so close to the road and under a dam!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

jorry wrote: »
    Well not to digress and we can start a seperate thread to discus BWtF we're they thinking building it so close to the road and under a dam!

Riiiiiiiight. Yes. They built the castle after the dam and road.

But I suppose you’re just being funny

Riiiiiiiight. Yes. They built the castle after the dam and road.

But I suppose you’re just being funny

:D

jorry wrote: »
    Downtown Leixlip is a shambles, so derelict and grim IMHO. Compared to neighboring main streets of Maynooth and Celbridge which are inviting and you can walk around at ease. I reckon a one way traffic system between DaVinci's and Alvitos is required thereby closing a traffic lane in favour of foot traffic would breath new economic opportunities into the town.
    My proposal, construction of a raised flyover bridge between the Rye river bridge (beside Aldi) merging with access road across Liffey to the water treatment works. Sketch attached. In reality this might be too costly but something radical should be done.

I was thinking something similar while in the village yesterday, as a double decker bus flew past me while I was standing on the particularly narrow stretch of footpath between the Courtyard and Bernard Owens. The first and easiest thing to do to make the village more pleasant would be to introduce and enforce a 30km/h speed limit. I'd go from just before the Salmon Leap to the pedestrian lights at the church, and to the summit of Captain's Hill by Leixlip House.

No access restricted, no expensive new infrastructure to budget, no detours needed. Sure half the time you can't drive faster than that anyway. Slightly more pleasant village atmosphere, friendlier for families wanting to cycle down, and a little bit more discouragement for those driving through the village to use a different route.

• Advertisement

If we're talking dream infrastructure though, I was also thinking yesterday that access to Castletown via Leixlip Gate would be a great thing to restore for pedestrians and cyclists. At the moment, anyone who wants to get from Easton area has to go the ring road (ugh) and across the M4 flyover. That involves crossing the on-ramp in two parts, no signals and a lot of drivers already getting close to 100km/h, then crossing the off-ramp also in two parts. Then if you're cycling, when you get to Castletown entrance, they haven't even dished the kerb for access.

Instead, the council could restore the old road at the back of Leixlip Gate (yellow) a new ped bridge across the M4 (red). Assuming the road hasn't been subsumed into someone's property since the M4 was built, there'd be the cost of the bridge, and possibly CPO the entire field on the far side and re-forest it.

With the amount of people in estates on that side, now including Beechpark, Westfield and the new Leixlip Gate estate (if that's what it's to be called), there's plenty of demand.

532313.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a pedestrian bridge there from the construction of the M4 originally (~1993) until the new interchange was added (2003) which reduces the time that the land could have been sold/squatted on.

You can see it on the "1995" and "2000" (dates are not exact) aerial photography on geohive.ie

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a pedestrian bridge there from the construction of the M4 originally (~1993) until the new interchange was added (2003) which reduces the time that the land could have been sold/squatted on.

You can see it on the "1995" and "2000" (dates are not exact) aerial photography on geohive.ie

I see, thanks for the link. Looks like the bridge wasn't quite big enough to accommodate the slip roads going underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If we're talking dream infrastructure though, I was also thinking yesterday that access to Castletown via Leixlip Gate would be a great thing to restore for pedestrians and cyclists. At the moment, anyone who wants to get from Easton area has to go the ring road (ugh) and across the M4 flyover. That involves crossing the on-ramp in two parts, no signals and a lot of drivers already getting close to 100km/h, then crossing the off-ramp also in two parts. Then if you're cycling, when you get to Castletown entrance, they haven't even dished the kerb for access.

Instead, the council could restore the old road at the back of Leixlip Gate (yellow) a new ped bridge across the M4 (red). Assuming the road hasn't been subsumed into someone's property since the M4 was built, there'd be the cost of the bridge, and possibly CPO the entire field on the far side and re-forest it.

With the amount of people in estates on that side, now including Beechpark, Westfield and the new Leixlip Gate estate (if that's what it's to be called), there's plenty of demand.

532313.jpg

It is not a public road from the Leixlip gate and has always been private property

Rosahane wrote: »
    It is not a public road from the Leixlip gate and has always been private property

Interesting. I don't know the history of this side of Leixlip at all, but from the land registry it looks like it's part of the same folio as that section of the M4, so perhaps it was CPO-ed at the time?

532348.jpg

Interesting. I don't know the history of this side of Leixlip at all, but from the land registry it looks like it's part of the same folio as that section of the M4, so perhaps it was CPO-ed at the time?

532348.jpg

That’s an interesting map - and a slightly strange one.

To explain:
    Looking at the spike bit at the top of the CPO folio, it finishes short of the public part of the road which ends at those three adjacent new houses with the access road in yellow on your map. Also it includes only a wedge of the narrow strip of land that is alongside the private road to the Leixlip Gate Houses, which strip of land is immediately behind the bricked up gate lodge at the Leixlip Gate. That strip of land is only about ten metres wide in any case as you can see on the map.

Interestingly the CPO piece seems to include a piece on the other side of the motorway opposite the current Castletown entrance. I don’t think this if currently fenced off from the other land there.

You are probably aware that ABP have recently granted planning permission for a large scheme of houses in the first couple of fields in Kellystown and the drawings for that estate leave a possible access for further development to the south up to the motorway and the CPO folio piece.

The latest Leixlip development plan includes a new road from the motorway roundabout to the south and alongside the motorway to the Celbridge road at Barnhall which would meet the CPO piece.

I must check, but I don’t think the development plan has anything using the CPO piece but it would make sense to have a walk/ cycle route there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

The latest Leixlip development plan includes a new road from the motorway roundabout to the south and alongside the motorway to the Celbridge road at Barnhall which would meet the CPO piece.

There is a new planning permission application for a 25,268 sqm warehouse facility on the old HP campus (now the Liffey Business Campus) which would cover the area where the proposed road from Barnhall roundabout to the M4 at Castletown would be. Not sure if the planning application made any reference to a new road, but it would make sense for trucks to access the site directly from the M4 rather than the barnhall roundabout. Be interesting to see what happens with it.

FitzElla wrote: »
    There is a new planning permission application for a 25,268 sqm warehouse facility on the old HP campus (now the Liffey Business Campus) which would cover the area where the proposed road from Barnhall roundabout to the M4 at Castletown would be. Not sure if the planning application made any reference to a new road, but it would make sense for trucks to access the site directly from the M4 rather than the barnhall roundabout. Be interesting to see what happens with it.

I was the person that put in the proposal for that road in the first and second drafts of the development plan. My proposal was that it go along the Castletown / HP boundary to meet the roundabout at Barnhall Rugby Club.

They amended it to run along the motorway, utilising and upgrading the existing HP internal access road. This makes sense as the rationale was to allow traffic from the Celbridge Rd side of the village access to the motorway without going on the rat runs through the Castletown houses and this would be a more direct and shorter route.

You can see it as a proposed upgrade / new on the map below in the north of the HP campus.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/LocalAreaPlans/LocalAreaPlans/LeixlipLocalAreaPlan2020-2023/Map%201%20(20018942)%20Leixlip%20Transport%20MapA1.pdf

I suppose they could amend the draft development plan and make the developer of the Transport Hub pay for it as part of their planning permission although I think that the Transport Hub is outside the Leixlip area and actually in Celbridge. edit: it's actually in the Leixlip curtilage

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

They amended it to run along the motorway, utilising and upgrading the existing HP internal access road. This makes sense as the rationale was to allow traffic from the Celbridge Rd side of the village access to the motorway without going on the rat runs through the Castletown houses and this would be a more direct and shorter route.

That's interesting thanks for sharing. I'm not sure the way the road sweeps down off the M4 bridge at that point would make for a great junction but it certainly would help stop cars using Castletown housing estate as a rat run.

• Advertisement

FitzElla wrote: »

Reading through the planning application on page 13 of this document you will see reference to the proposed new road. It states that this new road will be "Key to the development" so probably intend to use this new road.

http://idocsweb.kildarecoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2413258&format=jpeg

Advertisement