Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

JORY wrote: »
    I have the same issues as you describe, with two new AA2+ boxes - terrestrial tune issue 0% with most images.
    However all images work perfectly on my AA box.

The only image that I found to work successfully so far as regards to terrestrial tune on the two new AA2+ boxes is Open A TV 4.2.

Does anybody know if there has been some internal hardware/ firmware changes in new AA2+ boxes that is causing the terrestrial tune issue in most Enigma 2 images?

Anyone solve this? I flashed to Zardoz image last night and it's excellent but saorview channels are blank and it hangs on 0% scan. Openatv worked fine

Thanks to all the talented folk here who provide these images.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

rofno1 wrote: »
    Anyone solve this? I flashed to Zardoz image last night and it's excellent but saorview channels are blank and it hangs on 0% scan. Openatv worked fine

Thanks to all the talented folk here who provide these images.

I think you will need to use Openatv for the moment, Pkteam have a Hyperion 4.5 in testing at the moment, that might work.
    Is there something that you need Hyperion for in particular? Openatv is quite stable, the only issue I have is that the transmission plugin is not working on it.

A follow up to an issue brought up a few weeks ago here,

I can confirm that when using a Hyperion 4 image my box downloads a lot of data (and some upload as well).
    If I unplug the box from the network for a few days I get a small amount of traffic (eircom tells me how much I use) as I would expect. If I plug in the box I am getting almost 1gb per day extra download.
    I have turned off transmission and anything else that I can thimk of that woud use the network (including crossepg)
    The image I am using started life as givecredits Hyperion 4 but I would have changed quite a bit.

Anyone have ideas as to what it might be? or how I might investigate further?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

I was using Freshpots openatv beta but it hangs regularly unfortunately. I stuck on PKteam image last night & was well impressed with speed & the clean display.

I'll roll back openatv so.

Again I must express my gratitude to everyone here.

rofno1 wrote: »
    I was using Freshpots openatv beta but it hangs regularly unfortunately. I stuck on PKteam image last night & was well impressed with speed & the clean display.

I'll roll back openatv so.

Again I must express my gratitude to everyone here.

if you feel up to it you could roll your own image from the nightly build:
    http://www.opena.tv/amiko-images/download-294-amiko-alien-2-a.html
    a lot of bugs have been fixed since Freshpots made his image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Can I use a wifi dongle in enigma 2?

TheChevron wrote: »

There are people here with it working, AMIKO definitely have one as do SAB:
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/sab-mini-wifi-dongle.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you can but its tricky to set up with a lot of Enigma 2 Images that are set up for ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I find something like this is a simpler and more stable solution:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1416596663&sr=8-10&keywords=wifi+extender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

givecredit wrote: »

Not really, because a wireless extender re-broadcasts your wireless on the same frequency it cuts the speed of your wireless in half. They are always a bad idea. Homeplugs are a better option, keep the wireless for mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Not really, because a wireless extender re-broadcasts your wireless on the same frequency it cuts the speed of your wireless in half. They are always a bad idea. Homeplugs are a better option, keep the wireless for mobility.

I'm using this wireless extender in wired mode with my Sab Triple HD - works fine with Hyperion:

Huawei WS322 Wi-Fi Repeater 300Mbps LAN/Ethernet Adaptor, Wi-Fi Range Extender/Booster and Wi-Fi Router (WPS) UK stock

Like the other TP-Link device linked to above, it has an Ethernet port which I use to convert the WiFi signal to a wired connection to the Sab box, so it doesn't have the speed impact you mention. I agree a homeplug would probably be simpler, I just happened to have this device lying around.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I'm using this wireless extender in wired mode with my Sab Triple HD - works fine with Hyperion:

Huawei WS322 Wi-Fi Repeater 300Mbps LAN/Ethernet Adaptor, Wi-Fi Range Extender/Booster and Wi-Fi Router (WPS) UK stock

It has an Ethernet port which I use to convert the WiFi signal to a wired connection to the Sab box, so it doesn't have the speed impact you mention. I agree a homeplug would probably be simpler, I just happened to have this device lying around.

Sorry, but if you understand the science behind it you would understand, a wireless repeater halves the throughput of your wireless network. Unlike a cable that has separate pairs of cables for send and receive (full duplex), wireless uses the same medium, the same frequency, therefore it can either send or receive, not both at the same time (half duplex) and can only talk to one device at a time. Then when you add a second wireless extender device with the same characteristics using the same medium you half the throughput because it has to receive, stop, then send the information to the original wireless device.

Wireless is always a trade-off compared to a cable, therefore it should be kept for mobility only, everything static should be cabled if possible. Having a device connected to a extender could have drastic effects on the speed of your network and affect other users, like someone else trying to stream a video in another room. It's is becoming more and more an issue as our bandwidth needs explode as we're all using bandwidth demanding smartphones, smart tv's etc.

The right way to do it is run a cable or use some other medium like homeplugs to deliver a signal and add a wireless access point on a different frequency to the original. You can even give it the same name and password as the original and your devices will roam from one to the other. The whole world is upgrading to wireless N and AC wireless, no point adding a device that cuts that speed in half

Sorry, but if you understand the science behind it you would understand, a wireless repeater halves the throughput of your wireless network.

I do understand it, sorry if I wasn't clearer. I'm not using it as a repeater, but as an adapter.

I do understand it, sorry if I wasn't clearer. I'm not using it as a repeater, but as an adapter.

Ah, missed that, then this is not a repeater but a wireless client which is the same as any laptop or wireless adapter. Run a mile from a repeater or wireless extender, always a bad idea.

Ah, missed that, then this is not a repeater but a wireless client which is the same as any laptop or wireless adapter. Run a mile from a repeater or wireless extender, always a bad idea.

Yeah, it's performance as an extender was rubbish, that's why it was lying around!

The advantage of using it in this situation, in adapter mode, is that - unlike a USB WiFi dongle - to my Sab box it appears as a standard wired Ethernet connection, so there should be no compatibility issues, whatever image I'm using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

@ Realist187 Please delete your 2 posts. No discussion on illegal activities here.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Are there any good media library/player plugins available? The default one with OpenATV is a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Just to clarify a few points around wireless and these boxes / images

I think some are build with some popular wifi drivers pre-installed whereas OpenaTV has a large selection within the plugins section to download the drivers for your wifi dongles' chipset.

As for why do you want wifi, there are only two possibilities, the first of which is Streaming. When looking at streaming, you have to take into account the actual processing power of the box itself. If you try and get it to do too much, it will fall over. Many people think that it's their wifi is breaking up when in fact it could well be the box failing to output at the required speed.

The second could be for Oscam. On holidays this year, I tethered an old phone and I had an 8900 box connected by wifi to my phone, with the phone on 3g. It worked perfectly.

As for anyone with issues scanning Terrestrial channels, I would always recommend that you do a Manual Scan of just the Frequency (or Channel Number - whichever your image allows) of the 2 muxes, one by one. The latest OpenaTV 4.2 supports scanning by UHF Channel Number (ie 21 thru 69)

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

** The Ideal Sly box replacemement image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

championc wrote: »
    As for why do you want wifi, there are only two possibilities, the first of which is Streaming.

I thought a 7-day EPG for satellite relies on an internet connection too?

I thought a 7-day EPG for satellite relies on an internet connection too?

No, crossepg can read the Sky epg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

For those who bought the newer plus boxes what image do ye find most stable? Had been getting on okish with an open atv one but half the time it would crash if I went into the system menu. It crashed the other night when trying to mount a hard drive that had become unmounted for some reason and wouldnt boot up again so back to spark for a while. A polish friend recommended open pli, anyone give that a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nyquistic

Balmed Out wrote: »
    what image do ye find most stable?
    I'm a relative newcomer to this but I have obtained the best results by starting with a nightly build from the OpenATV website and just adding what I wanted in terms of plugins. You'll have gathered from reading this thread though that it's not for the faint-hearted and you'll end up spending lots of time on it, so view the process more as a hobby than a TV-watching process!

Not sure what you mean by the "plus" boxes but if that's the one with the DVB-T2 tuner I think it might be worth trying a nightly (even if you don't stay with it) just to see if the tuner driver is more stable. I have the SAB Unix Triple HD and not the Alien, but it had an Alien image on it when I got it, which I thought was unusual, but apparently they have the same board inside. From what I have learnt though, the tuners can differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Balmed Out wrote: »
    For those who bought the newer plus boxes what image do ye find most stable? Had been getting on okish with an open atv one but half the time it would crash if I went into the system menu. It crashed the other night when trying to mount a hard drive that had become unmounted for some reason and wouldnt boot up again so back to spark for a while. A polish friend recommended open pli, anyone give that a go?

I have a newer box and am using fresh pots hv4 image.
    It's very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac2000

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the difference between alien 2 and alien 2+, and will the same image work on both?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kknox

Hi, I'm looking for help with bouquets using an Amiko Alien2 running enigma2. I've ftp-ed the /etc/enigma folder to my PC, made changes to and created new bouquets using LLamaWare DreamBoxEdit and ftp-ed the changes back. However when I press the EPG button I only see the favourites Bouquet, when I press the "fav" button on the remote I can only switch between All/Satellites/Providers/Favorites. Is it possible to switch between the other bouquets I've created, or even see them?
    Thanks.

kknox wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for help with bouquets using an Amiko Alien2 running enigma2. I've ftp-ed the /etc/enigma folder to my PC, made changes to and created new bouquets using LLamaWare DreamBoxEdit and ftp-ed the changes back. However when I press the EPG button I only see the favourites Bouquet, when I press the "fav" button on the remote I can only switch between All/Satellites/Providers/Favorites. Is it possible to switch between the other bouquets I've created, or even see them?
    Thanks.

Did you restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kknox

Thanks Mayo_Yid - I found the issue - it wasn't enabled under Channel Listing.

ac2000 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me what is the difference between alien 2 and alien 2+, and will the same image work on both?
    Thanks

AFAIK the difference is the terrestrial tuner the 2 is DVB-T and the 2+ is DVB-T2.
    In theory the images should work on both.

however I have a Golden Media Triplex T2 box (bought 18 months ago) and and Amiko Alien 2+ (bought a month ago) and my Hyperion 4 image has problems tuning terrestrial channels on the Amiko box (GM box is fine on the same image). OpenATV works fine on both

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adrianfok

Anybody here in Limerick and capable/willing to set-up an Alien2(paid, of course)? Enigma2 installed, running reasonably well, it's just the last config issue preventing me from finally ditching the DM800se and enjoying this box and its dual tuner. I'm getting desperate at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

Hi guys,
    Noooooob alert!! Got an Amiko Alien 2 last weekend along with satellite and saorview ariel. It came with VIX4 installed on it, and all the channels were working perfectly.

I tried uploading the Openatv images from ChampionC and Givecredit on page 22 of the firmware thread last night and for some reason, I'm getting the Freesat channels but the soarview channels are not loading?? Just get a blank screen when I select them. I'm also finding that the machine is crashing out pretty regularly aswell. I tried doing an automatic scan and it got the whole way through the process and crashed out at the end with an error.

I didnt bother installing any new plugins on it at the start of the process as it had enigma2 on it already. Any ideas on what to do? Should I download the latest nightly from the open atv site. Or should I just startt from scratch any reload plugins etc before using any images?

Cheers in advance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement