Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

• 29-12-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

Hi there,
    Could anyone give me advice on how to tackle the new reserved seating/priority boarding structure that Ryanair have in place.
    I understand that now you can reserve a seat or book priority boarding with an added on cost, or you can just check in as normal online and they will reserve random seats for you free of charge.

If you haven't reserved a seat or purchased priority boarding and you're checking in as normal, do Ryanair give you the option of a Window or an Aisle seat before choosing it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ekellyie wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Could anyone give me advice on how to tackle the new reserved seating/priority boarding structure that Ryanair have in place.
    I understand that now you can reserve a seat or book priority boarding with an added on cost, or you can just check in as normal online and they will reserve random seats for you free of charge.

If you haven't reserved a seat or purchased priority boarding and you're checking in as normal, do Ryanair give you the option of a Window or an Aisle seat before choosing it for you?

They don't assign a random seat if you haven't paid for one. Its just as it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 frantechie

so does this mean instead of prority boarding you basically have a seat number and then the rest of the passangers find there own seat when boarding...try to avoid Ryanair if I can purely for the way everyone is made to rush on and find there own seat could never understand how not getting a seat number would save Ryanair money or time

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

They don't assign a random seat if you haven't paid for one. Its just as it was before.

Incorrect, from 01-02-14 it will be fully assigned seating on all flights.

€10 to select a "premium" seat, rows 1-5, 16,17,32,33
    €5 to select any other seat
    No charge for a seat to be allocated randomly upon check-in

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

So I basically have to take what i'm given, Is there no way I have the option to choose whether I want an aisle, middle or Window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭lc180

ekellyie wrote: »
    So I basically have to take what i'm given, Is there no way I have the option to choose whether I want an aisle, middle or Window?

Yup looks like we will have to cough up a fiver in future to ensure a good seat type!

I think this is the same system EasyJet have. Anything that stops the ridiculous queuing 45 mins before boarding is a good idea in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

I take it that if you've have two booked on your reservation, the random seats will be together?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm not convinced this is a good idea. The find a seat anywhere approach was much better, especially as I found that people would not ask the flight attendants to move from the emergency row seats aisle they were standing in. I often boarded last and got one of those seats.

Best mechanism I have seen is Southwest's zone seating queuing. Six queues of zones A-F. They board by zone from the back of the plane first. Works a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

We actually don't know what will happen until Feb. You check in and you reserve free 7 days before the flight. I expect it will be like Aer Lingus where you view the seat map and are allowed to pick available seats that have not being reserved. Then again it could just be completely random but I think they will give an option to manually or automatically select seat.

If they want to be all costumer service, they will give both options to select seat at check in free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There is a thread on this very subject over in Aviation and Aircraft right here. You might like to keep an eye in there also for information.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Hi all,

Ryanairs new assigned seating model came into effect this week, meaning that everyone on the flight will now have a seat number on their boarding card prior to getting on the plane.

Just looking to see has anyone flown with Ryanair since it started? Can you explain how it works as there is little info to go on, like are you assigned a seat or can you choose a seat online 30hrs before departure like the Aer Lingus model?

I have a flight this weekend and just wondering how it works.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Greg81

I am flying on Sunday. Made on-line check in and seat number was assigned to me autamaticly. You will have a chance to choose your seat but you have to pay for that.

Cheers for the reply.

Did you happen to get a window or aisle seat or where you auto-allocated a dreaded middle seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭andersat2

I got auto allocated middle seat. Flying on Friday to Bremen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Greg81

lc180 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.

Did you happen to get a window or aisle seat or where you auto-allocated a dreaded middle seat?

21D and 12A on return flight

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

I wonder will they keep people traveling together seated together.
    Be interested to see who will have to put up with my kids sat next to them on the flight. . .But I really don't care, once it's not me again!

So i went ahead and did my online check-in for my flights to Hahn this weekend. Got a middle seat outbound and an aisle seat inbound. 1 out 2 aint bad I suppose.

I travel pretty light and dont use overhead bins so im looking forward to not having to queue up at the gate like an eejit just to get a window seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lc180 wrote: »
    So i went ahead and did my online check-in for my flights to Hahn this weekend. Got a middle seat outbound and an aisle seat inbound. 1 out 2 aint bad I suppose.

I travel pretty light and dont use overhead bins so im looking forward to not having to queue up at the gate like an eejit just to get a window seat.

People still queue like loons, even with the assigned seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

spurious wrote: »
    People still queue like loons, even with the assigned seating.

Also, I wonder why people worry so much about seat allocation apart from sitting with their party.

Window seats give the view but mean you're stuck inside.

Aisle seats , no view but more room and easy access.

Don't see what the big deal is as most flights with Ryanair are short and sitting in a 'bad seat' for a couple of hours is not that bad in my opinion.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, I wonder why people worry so much about seat allocation apart from sitting with their party.

Window seats give the view but mean you're stuck inside.

Aisle seats , no view but more room and easy access.

Don't see what the big deal is as most flights with Ryanair are short and sitting in a 'bad seat' for a couple of hours is not that bad in my opinion.

For me its just being able to sleep. I can't nod-off in the middle seat no matter how tired I am.

Window seat you can position yourself against the side and get somewhat comfty. It makes a big difference if you are on one of the dreaded 6/7am flights and can kip for an hour before arriving in Brussells, Paris or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

So how is the boarding queue working? is it a free for all or are they calling sections to board?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    So how is the boarding queue working? is it a free for all or are they calling sections to board?

'Ryanair will shortly be boarding...'
    Big scatter as loons queue up.

Wait about 20 minutes. Gate staff arrive.

Go through the gate.
    Generally queue up again somewhere along the way.

Queue at the bottom of the steps to the plane.
    Stand behind as the 'bag the size of a small child' brigade try to jam it in somewhere.

Eventually find assigned seat.
    Put normal sized bag under the seat in front of me, where it should be able to fit.
    Sit down.
    Observe the large bag sideshow from relative comfort.

The boarding pass says rear or front steps, along with the seat number, but there was only one set for the flight home i was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

They really need to emphasise the front and rear boarding dependant on seat allocation.
    Number of people with rear section seats getting on at the front so when youre trying to get to the front of the rear section, from the rear, all this boneheads trying to get past you who got on at the front.

rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

I noticed that if you do not want to pay for a seat you can only do online check in 7days to 2hours before travel. This is inconvenient for return trips of over a weeks duration. It means you have to find a printer to print your return boarding passes. This comes into effect on 1st march. Anyone else notice this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    I noticed that if you do not want to pay for a seat you can only do online check in 7days to 2hours before travel. This is inconvenient for return trips of over a weeks duration. It means you have to find a printer to print your return boarding passes. This comes into effect on 1st march. Anyone else notice this

Just get their new app and use a mobile boarding pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

My son and his aunt are travelling with ryanair on Wednesday next.
    With the new seating policy will I have to pay for allocated seating to ensure they are seated together?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

theres no good seat on ryanair

now you pay to book a crap seat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ger34 wrote: »
    My son and his aunt are travelling with ryanair on Wednesday next.
    With the new seating policy will I have to pay for allocated seating to ensure they are seated together?

No, group bookings will be seated together automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No, group bookings will be seated together automatically.

Only where possible, if you have not purchases seats together make sure you check in online as soon as you are allowed seats allocated together as if you leave it to late and the flight is full you may be separated if you leave it to late to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

They really need to emphasise the front and rear boarding dependant on seat allocation.
    Number of people with rear section seats getting on at the front so when youre trying to get to the front of the rear section, from the rear, all this boneheads trying to get past you who got on at the front.

rant over

It's printed right on the boarding card, under the seat number REAR/FRONT DOOR, some people choose not to read this properly. They're hardly going to send someone back down the steps just because they boarded through the incorrect door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Fagashlil wrote: »
    It's printed right on the boarding card, under the seat number REAR/FRONT DOOR, some people choose not to read this properly. They're hardly going to send someone back down the steps just because they boarded through the incorrect door.

but thats what i mean. they should emphasise it more or adopt it in the boarding process. theres no need for people to surge as one towards the gate any more, yet they do.

just my two penn'orth

Advertisement