Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

its like looking in the window of a toy shop:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

its like looking in the window of a toy shop:D

Bloody expensive toys :D I think I will build a canoe next or maybe a surfboard :)

fergal.b wrote: »
    Bloody expensive toys :D I think I will build a canoe next or maybe a surfboard :)

i dont want to hear it, what your doing is far more interesting.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

i dont want to hear it, what your doing is far more interesting.;)

How about a jet boat, there is even an engine going on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-Gnome-Gas-Turbine-Jet-Engine-/110990636658?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item19d78eb672

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Tow wrote: »

I'm not to sure about that engine with fuel prices going the way they are :D

For my next mission if I choose to except it I was thinking about this.

Autoweek-Record-setting-Ferrari-hydroplane-heads-for-RM%E2%80%99s-Monaco-auction-.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I'm not to sure about that engine with fuel prices going the way they are :D

For my next mission if I choose to except it I was thinking about this.

The prop shaft going between your legs? :D You'd want to make sure that ones tight!

Lovely boat though! I'd imagine that would sit scarily low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

looks like an italian lobster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Just got up to speed with this thread fergal. Great work and dedication! Are you working outdoors, under a carport or something? Just thought, if so, is there an issue with the weather, moisture, midges or whatever?

I have the luxury of a very large shed, big enough to fit the Microplus (16' + )and a car, together and another shed to lay out sheeting for marking and cutting etc.

Keep up the good work! You put my little resto in the shade!

Yep I'm outside :( and moisture is my worst enemy, I have to remove the fiberglass from the sides and do them again :mad: as a bit of moisture got in while it was curing and left some cloudy patches.

little restorations is where I started :D

020-1.jpg

Tow wrote: »

my fav video on youtube, ive watched it that many times,:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6g-J-ol2nY

• Advertisement

Made up some tray's for the fuel tank and battery they will then be strapped down to keep them in place, I also wired up the power cutoff switch.

20130220_152545_zpsbccd93ab.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

any more pics of the boat? its starting to come together now when you see a fuel tank and battery going in.

Hi davlacey, not much going on I just roughly cut out the sub deck and temporally fixed it in place next I will cut in about 10mm around all the edges so I can put a strip of mahogany in that way when I put on the top layer of mahogany I can round the edges a bit without the plywood showing.

20130222_151603_zpsd25383b2.jpg

20130222_151625_zps32846285.jpg

20130223_101141_zpsc9c815a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Looking good. Would love to build something like this someday. all in what will it set you back. at a guess would it take around 4k ?

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Looking good. Would love to build something like this someday. all in what will it set you back. at a guess would it take around 4k ?

4K for just the engine block :eek: you could build the one in the video below for that so if you want one just go for it :D

4K for just the engine block :eek: you could build the one in the video below for that so if you want one just go for it :D

What you mean engine block, do you mean the actual engine

What you mean engine block, do you mean the actual engine

Just the Block http://www.marineparts.ie/engine-parts/mercruiser/engine-parts-1-2/long-blocks/reman-longblock-gm-5-0l-v8-96-99.html and two manifolds http://www.marineparts.ie/engine-parts/mercruiser/exhaust-system/exhaust-manifolds/exhaust-manifold-aluminium-gm-5-0-5-7l-83-on.html

You then have to buy a carb,starter motor, distributor,fuel pump,exhaust elbows,manifold, and so on then you buy the bling :D

DSC00913.jpg

Do you have to stick this engine in. Can you not just build the boat and put a 25hp engine on it. I really love the look of the boat but not a great fan of teh speed of it because knowing my luck, id come of it upside down and brak my kneck.

Yep you can build one like this.

ResizedImage700905-The-RASCAL-projectPage1.jpg

Yep you can build one like this.

ResizedImage700905-The-RASCAL-projectPage1.jpg

Now now that looks nice. Do you think id make the boat alone with more seats in it for 3-4k. You see my father has a 25hp engine lying there these last few years not getting used. If i could build the boat for 3-k then i might start it early summer. How many hours does it take to make such a boat.

• Advertisement

The cost can be as much or little as you want depending on the finish if you make it with just plywood and not use mahogany it will be a lot cheeper. Have a look here https://www.boatdesigns.com/Outboards/departments/10/ and pick something you like then look at the "customer photos" to get some ideas, my other boat is a 16' Malahini but something like the ZIP, SQUIRT, or FLYING SAUCER might suit you better.

The cost can be as much or little as you want depending on the finish if you make it with just plywood and not use mahogany it will be a lot cheeper. Have a look here https://www.boatdesigns.com/Outboards/departments/10/ and pick something you like then look at the "customer photos" to get some ideas, my other boat is a 16' Malahini but something like the ZIP, SQUIRT, or FLYING SAUCER might suit you better.

Id like one with decent timber on it, mahogany etc.. with nice leather seats. At a guess what would you say for one like i mention at say 16ft with 5 seats in it like a car with my own engine on it.

You'd be surprised what you can do with just plywood ;)

IMG_5035-1.jpg

You'd be surprised what you can do with just plywood ;)

IMG_5035-1.jpg

Brilliant, looks a real lovely boat. I would build one of these but would also like to spend that wee bit extra to get the maghogney look.

P.s, i take it your not going to tel me how much it would be to build one without an engine ;):mad:

That one was built out of a lot of scrap wood most of the hardwood frames were built from a pile of firewood from a local machine shop :D so it's hard to put a price on it the biggest cost was plywood and epoxy and sone oak skirting boards that were on sale in B&Q :D

DSC00764.jpg

That one was built out of a lot of scrap wood most of the hardwood frames were built from a pile of firewood from a local machine shop :D so it's hard to put a price on it the biggest cost was plywood and epoxy and sone oak skirting boards that were on sale in B&Q :D

DSC00764.jpg

O your good i tell ya, getting a price out of you is like getting blood out of a stone,lol. Its ok, i can take a hint now but can you tell me woul di have change if i bought all new wood,ply etc.. out of 4k if i built something similar to yours ;)

It's not that I'm good it's what you are prepared to do to save a few quid, I dive in skips, I go to boat jumble sales, I spent a year waiting to win a set of windshield brackets for the right price on ebay, if I can't find a part I make it,I live on carers allowance "just about" so if I can't afford something I'll do a small project to get me what I need, it's called my boat fund :D so at the end of it all my boats cost me nothing but time and effort. If you set out to build a boat for 4k it will cost you 4k and more but if you set out to build a boat for nothing from nothing then that is what it will cost :D

It's not that I'm good it's what you are prepared to do to save a few quid, I dive in skips, I go to boat jumble sales, I spent a year waiting to win a set of windshield brackets for the right price on ebay, if I can't find a part I make it,I live on carers allowance "just about" so if I can't afford something I'll do a small project to get me what I need, it's called my boat fund :D so at the end of it all my boats cost me nothing but time and effort. If you set out to build a boat for 4k it will cost you 4k and more but if you set out to build a boat for nothing from nothing then that is what it will cost :D

Yeah understandable.

How much sheets ply and lengths of timber and epoxy/fiberglass did you use for the boat in the pic above. then i should have a rough idea on what needs to be spent.

Yeah understandable.

How much sheets ply and lengths of timber and epoxy/fiberglass did you use for the boat in the pic above. then i should have a rough idea on what needs to be spent.

Here you go https://www.boatdesigns.com/images/malahini-bom.pdf

• Advertisement

Materials should come in at well under the 4k easy IMO. Ill be buying plans early next week sometime and will get cracking at the boat early summer. Cant wait niow

Advertisement