Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,811 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Talk of some candidates' campaign posters being torn down from the walls.

Some dirty tactics going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Paddy came across very strong. I think Jackie had some points she just had difficulty conveying them. She definitely got better as it went on.

Cathal I found very good at speaking, something about him I dunno. All welfare candidates were pretty decentl, I believe it is between Cathal and Kelly though (granted how much this influences the general populous no idea). Kelly did stumble a little while talking. William I am not convinced would be cut out for it.

Eamonn I thought was hilarious, in a good way. I could see him as a very good President in terms of being spontaneous and a peoples person for the general student body. I bit more of an understanding on things would have been great (reference to my question) but I guess only so much information is really out there. He has some good things in his manifesto, but I don't think he's ready for office.

David Hartery. Answered questions well and spoke very well. Has a deep understanding of pretty much all the issues going on right now, but that's because he has been on the frontline for a lot of it this year, focused primarily on the core things going on.

Adam, knows what is going on, spoke well. Some great ideas, but I do want to ask questions on one or two in particular, in person. If some of the ideas in his manifesto could happen it would be great. Other things in the manifesto I think are his job either way and don't really need to be there and other things are kind of already done. But again talk with him in person about it.

Apologies to the Presidential candidates, I was still constructing my question in my head when I put my hand up >,< Still not certain I got across what I wanted.

Predictions based off hustings:

Education: Paddy
    Welfare: Cathal
    President: David

Still time tomorrow though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Our audio-only recording of the Hust will be within the next 2 hours.

Other than that, I thought my question about suicide prevention was a little bit fobbed off.

Who did people think won?

Definately fobbed off, it's a huge issue and the problem is people NOT talking about it.

I think Rockett, Ronan and Moursy came off the best.

I think everyone now has the grá for Eamonn Horgan though!! :D

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Geraldine definitely does ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Anyone think the hustings actually matter? I wasn't at this year's one but from previous years it just seems like 80% of the people there are campaign teams....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Adam, knows what is going on, spoke well. Some great ideas, but I do want to ask questions on one or two in particular, in person. If some of the ideas in his manifesto could happen it would be great. Other things in the manifesto I think are his job either way and don't really need to be there and other things are kind of already done. But again talk with him in person about it.

Hey Ginge, thanks for the kind comments. More than happy to meet you at some point tonight or tomorrow? Obviously it's a busy day but I'm sure I could spare 5 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Anyone think the hustings actually matter? I wasn't at this year's one but from previous years it just seems like 80% of the people there are campaign teams....

This year about 80% of questions were from non-election teams from what I could tell

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

reunion wrote: »
    This year about 80% of questions were from non-election teams from what I could tell

This year about 80% of questions were from you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Definately

An engineer, check from Cork, check, and plays GAA, check! Definite gra!

Adam_M wrote: »
    Hey Ginge, thanks for the kind comments. More than happy to meet you at some point tonight or tomorrow? Obviously it's a busy day but I'm sure I could spare 5 minutes :)

Sometime are 1pm tomorrow, I'll find you.

To Tony, I would like to think someday they will, but right now it's a minority that can be converted. But that minority, you'd be surprised what they can do if they are well placed lol I know last year a few people sent e-mails to groups of people for me. I'm sure it helped, but obviously didn't get me too far ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

I see that some of you guys have issue with some of the things I raised these are and were not attacks.

The reason why I spoke about the new undergrad room and security is because I have worked with people who have been dealing with this issue and their main concern is security and vandalism.

There is simply no point saying that certain things wont cost money when they will - new security cameras, regular checks from security and replacing damaged material - this is based on fact and researched information. Its time for a Student body to look at the full picture not short term solutions to long term problems.

We can lobby the University on this issue yes but to expect it not to cost money is naive. In every meeting I have had with the University in terms of accessing some element of extra support for students the main question is 'How much is it going to cost?" (Example M&M's)

My Replies were realistic...Logical and based on fact and investigation.

All in all I enjoyed tonight. I thought Jakie and her team were/have been great to date! I was very impressed by her comment on her availability to her students - It shows passion and a real credit to her. I can say that it is my genuine pleasure to run against her as it has been any candidate I have gotten the opportunity to run against.

Looking forward to tomorrow, and to note I take none of the above personally just thought I'd clarify.

Respectfully

Paddy Rockett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Adam_M wrote: »

This year about 80% of questions were from you :pac:

Disappointed you didn't answer my now predictable question with your spare time at the end.

To all candidates, what's the lowest pay a sabbat should get? It was going to be added on to my last question but I never got to ask it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pickle Wickle

Academic: Its a one horse race really. Paddy is by far the better candidate.

Welfare: Kelly seemed a bit disorganized. 11 minutes late for the hust and didn't get her points across well perhaps due to her sickness.
    William did a better job getting his points across but whether these ideas will actually be implemented is hard to know.
    Cathal seemed the best man for the job. With emphasis on being approachable his character shone through with calm responses and good ideas.

President: David seems like a know it all. In relation to one question on student union finances which he should have blown the other candidates out of the water, he instead offered a smug response. His laptop rental scheme seems unnecessary and I doubt it would even be implemented.
    Eamon, well, yerra sure he's a character.
    Adam did very well. Seems like the front runner in this position. Seems level headed, has good ideas in relation to jobs and knows what needs to be done and how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

I thought Paddy Rockett was very strong, very informed knows what he is talking about.

I thought Jackie was extremely poor, when she stood there for circa 30 seconds and couldn't think of anything to say/forgot her lines it was cringe-worthy. I felt sorry for her more than anything else. Completely in over her head. I can understand completely why TST had to cut stuff out of their video interviews, scanning speech isn't great to see from anyone presenting themselves in the public domain.

President: Eamonn was very funny, unfortunately I don't vote for people based on comedic effect.

Adam was very good, Hartery not so much. I thought Adam came across better though, more genuine and some of his ideas were very good - really like the one about getting back to grassroots, getting out meeting the people and meeting the faces. Not just knowing that an SU president exists somewhere, but being able to saw ''yeah that's Adam Moursy, sound lad, we met him outside the Kemmy last week, he was introducing himself to students and letting them know who he is and what the union is about''

His CnS day sounded very good as well.

I didn't like Dave's attitude, he seemed very flippant with some answers, sarcastic if you will; off hand I think of the question on student finances, and his wrap up speech which both emanated an aura of ''vote for me, just cause I'm me and, yeah, I think I'm great, yeah.''

Welfare.

The only one to actively campaign me so far (and this doesn't include someone literally trying to ram a manifesto in my face and shouting at me to vote for their candidate) was Jennings. He seemed like a nice guy. I was going to vote for him but after hustings I thought Ronan was quite clearly the best candidate. Kelly came across ok, not as good as Cathal. It seemed like the niteline is still not fully thought out; if it was a phone line that might be good, if it's instant messaging then I think it would be shite. You may as well just log into your fb account and chat to your mates.

It's Rockett & Moursy for me tomorrow, and I still haven't decided on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

President: David seems like a know it all. In relation to one question on student union finances which he should have blown the other candidates out of the water, he instead offered a smug response. His laptop rental scheme seems unnecessary and I doubt it would even be implemented.

I think that David's laptop rental scheme is a genius idea. The amount of people I hear complaining about the library being full is ridiculous and this is something which would address it. maybe I'm wrong but I like the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

From what I gathered from tonight I am certain who I am going to vote for.

Paddy Rockett came across very well IMHO, enthusiastic for the job, has some great idea's to shake up the "Education" office in the SU, as what has been needed in the SU over the past years.

For welfare, Cathal Ronan particularly stood out. Union needs to be interactive with students and he shares the same enthusiasm as Paddy Rockett for the position. Answered questions well and again, is a good approachable yet strong character for the job in my eyes.

President was a tough one I felt, but again I would prefer to go by a person's character and on the night obviously Eamon (Apologies forget your second name) is truly a "charachter", I just feel his answers were lacking a lot and I feel president is a position that needs a good leader with solid idea's and good decision making capabilities. David Hartery spoke well, but his tone and attitude was far from what I would like to see overhead the Students Union for the coming year as president.

Thus Adam Moursy has my vote. He seems knows the in's and out's of the Union and came across as genuinely having the Students and the Unions interests both at heart with transparency and student interaction being the main ones. IMHO he will do a great job as president for the union if elected.

On the suicide topic I definetly felt one comment in particular was an outrageous thing to say as I feel very strongly about this subject! Surprised it wasn't called up on there and then! But i'm glad I spoke to that candidate afterwards.

My predictions based solely on what I watched tonight and throughout campaigning:

Paddy Rockett for Education.
    Cathal Ronan for Welfare.
    Adam Moursy for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pickle Wickle

I think that David's laptop rental scheme is a genius idea. The amount of people I hear complaining about the library being full is ridiculous and this is something which would address it. maybe I'm wrong but I like the idea.

I can see where you are coming from but I can't see how "6" laptops will make a difference. There's plenty free computers across the college such as in the Kemmy and Health Science building.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

I can see where you are coming from but I can't see how "6" laptops will make a difference. There's plenty free computers across the college such as in the Kemmy and Health Science building.

I imagine that he'll get more than 6 computers if he does decide to implement it. If it's done properly then it would probably be a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

An interesting hustings, bit disappointed with the turnout but the week in general seems very quiet compared to usual.

Thought Kelly's answer to the Suicide question was a massive no-no. To say "if somebody is dead-set on suicide they're not much you can do" is something I don't think should be in the vocabulary of a welfare candidate. It certainly got a reaction where I was sitting. (Fantastic question btw)

Hartery came across slightly (and I mean slightly) arrogant, standing with the arms crossed he seemed somewhat unapproachable. But he does seem to have a knowledge of whats going on

Eamonn seems like a real character, a person you'd have the craic with but I don't think has the capabilities of a president. Reminded me of Boland last year, not in a bad way

Felt a bit sorry for Jackie, really struggled to get her points across but got there in the end. Seemed too focused on the co-op problems. Was clearly very nervous and made a few mistakes like saying "vote for me next week". (reminding me of Bolands 8 days a week last year)

Thought Ronan spoke very well. Got his points across and seems very genuine and approachable. Paddy was great as he usually is in front of a crowd and answered very well.

Jennings didn't really stand out to me, but he spoke well and got his points across well too, think he has a lot to make up on the other 2.

Moursy did good in my opinion, he seems to have the know how and character to make a good president.

Will be an interesting day tomorrow.

Well done to all the candidates so far and best of luck tomorrow

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cadroc wrote: »
    Paddy came across arrogant but strong.
    Jackie was nervous, but it almost endeared her to you, especially when paddys claws were out. That said you want a strong personality dealing with the university.
    Didn't appreciate paddys digs at Jackie. Very unprofessional kinda turns me off voting for him.

Paddy destroyed her, she was very vulnerable to it though. I felt sorry for her, she was completely out of her depth.

I'd have to back Paddy up on his approach, her ideas are plainly unworkable and impractical.
    Very good question about suicide prevention for welfare. +1 to the proposer of the question.
    Steeevvyb wrote: »

Other than that, I thought my question about suicide prevention was a little bit fobbed off.

Have to say, like djnr8 above, Kelly didn't come out of that question very well. Will and Cathal came across better but looking at the three, I don't think anyone properly prepared for such a topic.
    Who did people think won?

Paddy, because he has a passion for it, as well as an excellent idea in the forums.

Cathal, because I'm campaigning for him :P but genuinely because I think he is a better candidate for the job. The feedback on here alone has shown he's the most engaging candidate, and his ideas don't cost anything.

Genuinely undecided on President. Am leaning towards David though. He's been there in C&S for years and knows all the ins and outs. He has that year of experience on Adam. People might say he's a bit arrogant or whatever, but he is the most capable man for the job, in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Busby_Babes

Adam for President
    Cathal for Welfare
    Paddy for Academic.

Bish Bash Bosh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

An interesting Hust... nearly more conflicted now than I was before. :pac:

VP Academic
    Paddy gets my vote anyway. And I say that as someone who started off with the mindset "anyone but Paddy!". Have to say, he's really impressed over the week and has some great ideas. Plus, I think the previous Union experience he has is a big plus.
    Jackie... what can I say? Felt so sorry for her tonight. She seems like a lovely person, but just couldn't deal with the pressure/nerves.
    Paddy did come across a bit confrontational with the comments on the undergrad room and a few others, (which I found weird given that it was one of his manifesto points as well...) but overall he just comes across as if he'll do a great job.

VP Welfare
    Think Kelly's comment about suicide will have lost her votes to be honest.
    Jennings improved immensely in my mind, but still not quite there I think.
    Cathal, I dunno. There's just something about him that would make me uncomfortable going to him with an issue. I think he'd have made a great CSO, or maybe even a great VPA or President, but I have my doubts about him for welfare. This idea of Welfare on Wheels is great in theory, but how likely are people to walk over to a dude on a couch rolling around the place if they're feeling sad/lonely/depressed?
    My vote goes to Kelly. I genuinely think she's the best of the candidates going for it. Think her personality would suit the position.

President
    Moursey really impressive. Spoke very well and made some good points.
    Hartery, a bit know it all-y, but still would do a great job I think.
    Eamonn... I don't think he's what we need in a President right now. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. We need someone to get the Union back on track, and I'm not sure he's suitable for this. Think he'd make a great President if the Union wasn't in trouble. Seems like great craic though to be fair!
    Will probably go for Moursey tomorrow, but this is the position I'm most unsure of.

Predictions
    Welfare: It's going to be incredibly tight between Kelly and Cathal. I think Kelly's personality might just tip it in her favour though.
    Academic: Open and shut. Rockett to walk it.
    President: Think Moursey might just clinch it. Will be very close though between him and Hartery. Eamonn get's my 2nd preference just for being a legend :P

Gonna be an interesting day. Sincere best wishes to all candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

if somebody is dead-set on suicide they're not much you can do

If this is a direct quote then apart from the "dead-set" faux pas I personally understand how such a thing can be interpreted.

If someone has decided that they want to die, they don't make a suicide attempt; they "succeed". It might sound insensitive but I can see what this comment gets at.

Predictions:
    Dave Hartery
    Paddy Rockett
    Kelly O'Brien

P.S. I'm not involved in anyone's campaign and have only decided where I'll be giving my presidential vote so far.

If this is a direct quote then apart from the "dead-set" faux pas I personally understand how such a thing can be interpreted.

If someone has decided that they want to die, they don't make a suicide attempt; they "succeed". It might sound insensitive but I can see what this comment gets at.

I see what you mean, BUT... This is the Welfare position, after all.

You can't make such comments and expect them to go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

VP Academic
    Paddy. I wasn't sure about him before the hustings, but he came across really well, and you can tell that he'll have absolutely no problem dealing with lecturers/course directors.
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Jackie Woods. She just doesn't seem to be the kind of person who could manage to deal with lecturers and course directors well. I'm sure she would in time, when she got used to things, but you need someone who can get out there on your behalf straight away.

DP/Welfare
    I will state right now that I am a personal friend of Kelly's.
    However, I did go to the hust tonight with an open mind, having read all of the manifesto's yesterday. I thought William Jennings seemed like a really nice guy, but I just wouldn't be comfortable going to him with a problem, like I did with Tara this year.
    Cathal came across well, but it seems to me like he'll never actually be in his office with the running and the couch on wheels, again, I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable going to him with a problem either. And as someone already said (Sorry, just scanned through the posts) he would be more suited to CSO or president.
    Kelly is my friend, but in saying that, I'd vote for her because of her Niteline point (Brilliant. Exactly what is needed, even if the students who use it are just stressed around exam times, it will do good) and because I believe she is a friendly and approachable person.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early, so I missed the Presidential hust, but I'll re-read the manifesto's tonight and make a decision in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Laptop scheme aside, Can we not even have a printer that we can easily link to just to print out a few notes without having to que in the library or search the building for a free PC lab, there used to be one in the Raisin which i used last year but it disappeared over the summer. It's a pain trying to print notes that lectures only send an hour before the lecture. Alt get lectures to use the print room more to knock up notes/manuals I would happily pay at the start of each semester for all the lecture notes this would also combat the habit of sulis going down every reading week as well.
    \\Rant over at 22.45 printing out notes at home for tomorrows lectures:mad: when i should be in bed.

Yeah what was that about? Loadsa people took off before the President section?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Yeah what was that about? Loadsa people took off before the President section?

Well I know i had to leave because my lift was arriving for about 7 at the SU, so that's why I went, not sure about everyone else though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MK90

I was at the debate today and was impressed by the speakers.

I think the voting will go Rockett, Ronan, Moursey.

Everyone knows Paddy is a good public speaker and didn't disappoint tonight. I liked his ideas and hopefully if he is elected will live up to these promises.

Fair play to Jackie she was lost at the start but recovered towards the end. Some of her ideas were good too but others not as realistic. I also think people on boards.ie are a bit harsh on her and her campaign.

I like William. I thought he was one of the most genuine candidates in the campaign. He has a lot of potential and I think Welfare will be a tight race.

Kelly O' Brien again is a natural speaker however she didn't really convince me on her manifesto points. I had expected better from her.

Cathal Ronan I thought was superb. I was really interested in his manifesto points and think they are achievable. He is probably the most realistic person in the election.

David Hartery seemed a bit arrogant for me. In saying that I must give him credit on his public speaking abilities and presentation skills. He seems like a very intelligent man.

I think everyone fell in love with Eamonn Horgan (I know I did). He has so much charisma and charm, I say he be a good lad to go for a few pints in the stables with. He reminded me of a contemporary Michael Collins. I'd really love to give my no.1 but he is definitely getting my second.

Adam Moursey I thought was fantastic. He presented his points concisely and had so much faith in what he was saying. I don't him but he comes across as a nice and approachable lad. He knows what he is talking about. I hope he gets elected.

Best of luck to all the candidates in the upcoming election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Wasn't at hustings. Will be interesting to see Cathal v Kelly tomorrow. I thought that Woods' campaign was quite weak (edit - was it true that the nurses pay issue has already been dealt with, or is it ongoing? I appreciate her bringing it up anyway, but can't see much being done about it in HSE really). I'm only here for a year so feel a bit odd about voting.

Judging by new posters and exposure I think we already have the real winner - Boards.ie :)

Advertisement